Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

How do I turn off email notifications for conversations (the ones in the inbox). It sends me an email for every reply and I want it off. I cannot find it in Preferences or Alert Preferences.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do I turn off email notifications for conversations (the ones in the inbox). It sends me an email for every reply and I want it off. I cannot find it in Preferences or Alert Preferences.
Greetings,

In order to turn off the email notifications, just follow the following 2 easy steps:

1. Hover your mouse over your username in the top right corner of the page (next to Inbox and Alerts) and click on "Contact details"
2. Untick the box that says "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"

I hope you found this reply helpful.

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I've already asked this question but hasn't been answer yet so, I'm trying to make my avatar a gif animation. Here's the thing: I know the file is big enough, but when I go to make it my avatar, it doesn't work. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Sorry Hydra, I don't personally know what the problem would be. Hopefully someone else does.

As for my question, I'm being disconnected from the showdown server CONSTANTLY. I'm not sure what the problem is; I've played the web app on Chrome and Firefox, and I've used the downloadable version. Nothing has helped, and it's super frustrating. I can literally expect to be dc'd at least once per battle, and of course this can lead to loss by timeout.

If there's a technical support forum that I should direct this to, that's fine. I just didn't see one.

Sorry Hydra, I don't personally know what the problem would be. Hopefully someone else does.

As for my question, I'm being disconnected from the server CONSTANTLY. I'm not sure what the problem is; I've played the web app on Chrome and Firefox, and I've used the downloadable version. Nothing has helped, and it's super frustrating. I can literally expect to be dc'd at least once per battle, and of course this can lead to loss by timeout.

If there's a technical support forum that I should direct this to, that's fine. I just didn't see one.
I have this problem a lot, and the problem is almost always poor connection, or sometimes too many people connecting at once.

I have this problem a lot, and the problem is almost always poor connection, or sometimes too many people connecting at once.
Yeah, I'm worried that it's both of those. My connection isn't that great and it usually doesn't happen during the day (US EST). It's weird, though, since it's only become a problem in recent weeks. I'll see if I can go about beefing up my wifi connection

Yeah, I'm worried that it's both of those. My connection isn't that great and it usually doesn't happen during the day (US EST). It's weird, though, since it's only become a problem in recent weeks. I'll see if I can go about beefing up my wifi connection
Consider getting an ethernet cable if you really need to get a better connection, as it can connect you directly to your internet. May be helpful if you also play esports on your computer. (This is for if you use a PC)

Hi, I have been on smogon for about a month and there is something o noticed. Sometimes I would log on and I would be alerted and when I check the alerts tab it says "no new alerts." Or if when I log in I would have like 6 alerts but then I check the tab and its only two. Any idea whats causing this?

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Hi, I have been on smogon for about a month and there is something o noticed. Sometimes I would log on and I would be alerted and when I check the alerts tab it says "no new alerts." Or if when I log in I would have like 6 alerts but then I check the tab and its only two. Any idea whats causing this?
If people follow then unfollow you or like then unlike a post of yours it will show the original number of alerts before displaying the true alerts that remain.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been trying to change my avatar, but this message shows up when I try to click on it: http://imgur.com/a/81RVt
What do I do to fix it?
you're a badgeholder and asked for a name change so you were profile locked in order to prevent you from changing your CT. it should last a month, if it's been longer than a month, talk to a smod (or simply post in the name changes thread) so they can profile unlock you or ask them to change the avatar for you, since it's only the CT that you can't change but profile locking locks all profile features

Luna

journey before destination
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why is it that whenever someone is quoted, the word "fat" appears before their username?
Q: What does "fat" in a quote mean?
A:
Don't worry, the forum is not mocking you when it does this! It simply is adding the "fat" because of an old joke in which the quote box was changed to say fat, and it just kind of stuck. This naturally happens, no matter the quote, and there is no need to put any additional tagging to add it. This also means that this is unable to be removed, but don't let it bug you too much!

- Piece of text taken from Smogon Beginner Basics: Essential Info For New Users!

Hi,
Though I made this account a while ago, I have never really used these forums much. I read the rules and am like 90% sure this is the proper thread, but if not, my apologies. I was into competitive battling a while back, though it seems the games have changed a lot since then. I don't own generation 7- (I am an unemployed 15 year old with no allowance) so I don't really understand whats new. I am planning on saving for the game, doing odd jobs and such, but I see no reason to wait to use showdown. So, I was wondering, what is all the new stuff? I have heard several terms but I am not 100% sure what all of them mean, and it is a bit confusing to try and search around on the internet as I am not an expert in that area. Some things I have heard are:

Z-moves
Z-ring
Alola forms
ultra beasts

If anyone could explain these and maybe any other possible tips, that would be quite appreciated. I really would like to get back into this game- it is quite fun! Thank you!

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi,
Though I made this account a while ago, I have never really used these forums much. I read the rules and am like 90% sure this is the proper thread, but if not, my apologies. I was into competitive battling a while back, though it seems the games have changed a lot since then. I don't own generation 7- (I am an unemployed 15 year old with no allowance) so I don't really understand whats new. I am planning on saving for the game, doing odd jobs and such, but I see no reason to wait to use showdown. So, I was wondering, what is all the new stuff? I have heard several terms but I am not 100% sure what all of them mean, and it is a bit confusing to try and search around on the internet as I am not an expert in that area. Some things I have heard are:

Z-moves
Z-ring
Alola forms
ultra beasts

If anyone could explain these and maybe any other possible tips, that would be quite appreciated. I really would like to get back into this game- it is quite fun! Thank you!
A Z-ring and a Z-Crystal (of a certain type) are used to use Z-moves, which is essentially a one-time use nuke button. It is often used on certain Pokemon as a lure or to break thru walls and OHKO them. Some example of Z-move users are Heatran with Z-Solarbeam to lure in Water types or Lando-T with Z-Stone Edge to majorly dent Skarmory, Celesteela and other Lando-Ts. Z-moves also activate with status moves, giving them a boost while using the move, for example Z-Hypnosis boosts the users Speed by one AND can put the foe to sleep while Z-Conversion boosts all the Pokemon's stats (like Ancientpower) and changes the type to the move in the first slot like normal.

Alolan forms are regional variants of older (gen 1) Pokemon which are found in, Alola. They change up the design, typing, and movepool of the Pokemon and often times are better than their regular counterpart. The two most relevant Alolan forms in OU are Alolan Muk & Marowak, Muk has a Dark type added onto its Poison giving only one weakness and gets both Pursuit and Knock Off while Alolan Marowak has a completely different typing of Ghost/Fire allowing it to counter a lot of the metagame with Thick Club boosted attacks. While the Ultra Beasts are just legendaries from some next dimension that seem to have bipolar stat distribution.

As for the meta, it is generally focused on the four new legendaries, being the Tapu quadrant and their abilities that summon the terrains (remember them from gen 6?). Tapu Koko summons Electric Terrain upon switchin and generally acts as a fast and hard hitting pivot with Volt Switch. Tapu Lele summons the new Psychic Terrain which prevents priority moves from being used and boosts Psychic moves by 1.5x, hitting really hard. Tapu Bulu summons Grassy Terrain healing any grounded foes while hitting the hardest of Wood Hammers. While Tapu Fini is shrugs off status with Misty Terrain and eats hits like nothing. Some of the Ultra Beasts are common in OU right now, with Pheromosa currently being suspect tested (and likely getting banned) for its Deoxys-A like stat distributon and Celesteela being a Skarmory with Leech Seed and Heavy Slam dunking most of the tier. A lot of the older mons are still good, such as Lando-T, Heatran, and Megagross (who works exceptionally well with Lele), while some Ubers are back in OU like Hoopa-U, Greninja, and Mega Mawile. Hope this helps.

A Z-ring and a Z-Crystal (of a certain type) are used to use Z-moves, which is essentially a one-time use nuke button. It is often used on certain Pokemon as a lure or to break thru walls and OHKO them. Some example of Z-move users are Heatran with Z-Solarbeam to lure in Water types or Lando-T with Z-Stone Edge to majorly dent Skarmory, Celesteela and other Lando-Ts. Z-moves also activate with status moves, giving them a boost while using the move, for example Z-Hypnosis boosts the users Speed by one AND can put the foe to sleep while Z-Conversion boosts all the Pokemon's stats (like Ancientpower) and changes the type to the move in the first slot like normal.

Alolan forms are regional variants of older (gen 1) Pokemon which are found in, Alola. They change up the design, typing, and movepool of the Pokemon and often times are better than their regular counterpart. The two most relevant Alolan forms in OU are Alolan Muk & Marowak, Muk has a Dark type added onto its Poison giving only one weakness and gets both Pursuit and Knock Off while Alolan Marowak has a completely different typing of Ghost/Fire allowing it to counter a lot of the metagame with Thick Club boosted attacks. While the Ultra Beasts are just legendaries from some next dimension that seem to have bipolar stat distribution.

As for the meta, it is generally focused on the four new legendaries, being the Tapu quadrant and their abilities that summon the terrains (remember them from gen 6?). Tapu Koko summons Electric Terrain upon switchin and generally acts as a fast and hard hitting pivot with Volt Switch. Tapu Lele summons the new Psychic Terrain which prevents priority moves from being used and boosts Psychic moves by 1.5x, hitting really hard. Tapu Bulu summons Grassy Terrain healing any grounded foes while hitting the hardest of Wood Hammers. While Tapu Fini is shrugs off status with Misty Terrain and eats hits like nothing. Some of the Ultra Beasts are common in OU right now, with Pheromosa currently being suspect tested (and likely getting banned) for its Deoxys-A like stat distributon and Celesteela being a Skarmory with Leech Seed and Heavy Slam dunking most of the tier. A lot of the older mons are still good, such as Lando-T, Heatran, and Megagross (who works exceptionally well with Lele), while some Ubers are back in OU like Hoopa-U, Greninja, and Mega Mawile. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, Elec.! Saved me so much effort right there :toast:

Hi,

Z-moves
Z-ring
Alola forms
ultra beasts

Most of the new game mechanics are on this post. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-sun-moon-battle-mechanics-research.3586701/

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Sometimes, i see someone with the description "I COULD BE BANNED".
How did they get it? There's a way to remove it?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sometimes, i see someone with the description "I COULD BE BANNED".
How did they get it? There's a way to remove it?
"I COULD BE BANNED!" is a custom warning for forum users that have received 3 infraction points for rule-breaking offenses.
If the users in question keep ignoring this last warning and still misbehave, they will receive a 4th infraction point, resulting in an imminent ban.
Once these users have been banned, their username will be crossed through and their previous custom warning will be changed to "Banned deucer."

More information about Smogon's Global Rules can be found here.
More information about Smogon's Warnings can be found here.

I hope that this answered your question.

Hello, it seems that I can't edit my signature at all anymore, since the option doesn't show up
I remember changing it some time ago...can't recall exactly when but I'm fairly sure it worked
I wondered if someone could fix this up / explain why it's locked...thank you anyway.

edit: It works now, strange. Please ignore this message / many thanks if someone fixed it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)