Smogon Premier League Voting

Vote for only one of option 1 and 2, and one of option 3 and 4

• Total voters

rory

T^T
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posted for Shiv as he can't access smogon right now. His words not mine:

Alright, we've had tons of discussion about the SPL (Smogon Premier League) and honestly speaking, there are some issues on which I would prefer to see poll results.

These are:

Issue #1: Auction System vs Draft System

I've already explained a rough overview of the auction system in the other thread. Drafts would basically work like: 1 2 ... 11 12 12 11 ... 2 1.

Advantages of the Auction System:
- Much more strategy on the part of the managers.
- Makes trades more interesting as people can trade money etc.
- Much more fairer in terms of who gets the big names. You want the best? You pay and get them.

Advantages of the Draft System:
- Gets rid of the money concept completely.
- Relatively simpler to understand.
- Managers who are not that upto date with pokemon can get a good battler early to help them out.

The draft order would obviously be random but it CAN become very unfair to teams who are placed at like #11 or #12.

Personally, if we could solve the problem of incentives for people to want to earn more money, I would like to do the auction system.

Issue #2: Multi-Gen vs DPPt

Right, when I say multi-gen, I mean something like this:

3 DP OU
1 DP UU
1 DP Uber
1 RBY
1 GSC
1 ADV

DPPt would look something like this:

4 DP OU
2 DP UU
2 DP Uber

Personally, I think Multi-Gen is not so much more complicated and would be a lot of fun. It also seperates this league from what the tour is all about. Additionally, getting 12 people to battle ONCE a week in RBY is not hard at all. So I don't think people should vote against this if they think that getting the games done will be an issue.

Anyway, please vote for whichever one you think should be done.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
amazingly, my work blocks urls like www.smogon.com/forums/ but allows it if i add an index.php.

anyway, my comments are in the OP.

edit:

[16:24:23] <+LonelyNess> I will admit... I'm voting for dppt only because it has an extra UU slot meaning I am more valuable

don't do that please. i don't want you to figure whats better for you, i want you to figure whats better for this tournament. i hope others aren't voting for such reasons.

thanks.

I would like to see a combination of a draft and a bid. An initial, one-time two round draft allows balance, and also gives managers something with which to convince free agents to join their team. Without a draft, there is no market value for a player of given caliber until someone gives in. Every team has the same money, so it's really "which GM do you like better" moreso than it is "which team has the best chances of winning" because without a draft, there is no team when the bid starts!

I voted, therefore, for neither of the first two options. Jackal and Carl convinced me for multi-tier.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It only becomes "which GM do you like more" if you include salary caps on players (as then, GMs will obviously just offer the cap... at least for the better players), otherwise it's "how much are you willing to pay."

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"Bid" is what we initially had in mind when me and ToF discussed about the whole idea. I wouldn't want anything else.

I'd prefer "multi gens" because it seperates itself from the tour a little bit more, and there are more divisions to be filled, meaning it requires a much wider range of talent to assemble a winning team.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe I have already stated my opinion on multi gen lol, as for the first issue, im thinking the auction system is complicated and might not pan out, but im willing to give it a shot I guess.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Draft really wouldn't be unfair if you "snaked" the picks meaning last pick 12 also gets pick 13 and you essentially alternate directions from there

Yeah what Taylor said. I think I made an error voting too by choosing draft, but it looks like it won't matter anyway so that's good =)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
personally I think though multi gen would be way cool, it's not feasible to make people install rootkits on their windows PCs to do that. And set up a NetBattle server. And having to play a bunch of inactive metagames, where people won't stay long enough to let it play out IMO. It jsut seems like tier based is more reliable.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, I somehow missed that detail in the OP, darkie.

Chris is me, I think you fail to realize that the people playing the older gens will most likely be the people that already have experience using NB and probably still have a copy installed on their computer. In fact, it would probably (more like would) be bad management by any GM to specifically not recruit people familiar with the older gens AND who also have experience using NetBattle. So the point about making people install another program is flimsy. We'd just use one of the other independent servers already running. A server is not necessary if other functioning ones exist. As for that last bit, I'm not really sure what you mean by "people won't stay long enough." If you mean people won't get their battles done or will drop out, there will be reprocussions for the team they're a part of hopefully which should discourage that.

Is it obvious that I really want multi-gen? lol

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I think it should be DP Tiers. I expressed my concerns with multi gen on IRC. I don't think it's a bad idea. It would just reduce the amount of DP players that could participate. At this point, DP seems like the most reliable choice.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well, DP is getting the majority stake by having 5/8 DP players in the team lol.

Edit: Anyway, I'll probably just let this run till sometime today then close it. Also, we'll only be doing an auction system if you guys can help us figure out what incentives to offer up players to want to earn more money... so please post regarding that there!

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Carl, we will fight for our right to rby.

saying older metagames are dead is really just ignorance, if youve never played them they are dead but anyone who was around for the nb days im sure would jump at the chance to play a meaningful rby/gsc/adv game

Edit: Anyway, I'll probably just let this run till sometime today then close it. Also, we'll only be doing an auction system if you guys can help us figure out what incentives to offer up players to want to earn more money... so please post regarding that there!
A "Salary" entry in user profiles (like location), so battlers can proudly display their net battling worth to everyone in the world.

Shiv

mostly harmless
I'm quite sure I would make sure my team is way better by taking a lower salary rather than have a silly number displayed on my user profile.

maybe thats just me.

They could get the option to start their own team once they have enough money. This would require a lot of it though, since not only do they have to "buy" a team, they also have to hire a lot of players...

Shiv

mostly harmless
Thats what we thought of. Obviously we could add money to theirs as a form of "sponsorship" to give them a fair shot lol.

Only issue with that is that it only motivates say the top 10% of players. What about the other 90%?

I dunno maybe let them vote in suspect test, policy review access, or maybe let them have a image in their signature. Just throwing out ideas.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
didn't anyone read my last post

jesus, I know I don't do pokemon but that's no reason to ignore me :cloud:

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I assume that we have our results from the poll and we are moving forward with this correct?

Shiv

mostly harmless
yeah, i've been working on this on my own a bit, just sorting out ideas and how everything will work to the exact details. still looking for something for incentives for players though cause otherwise, i think we would be going for a draft instead.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DM's post in the other thread could be a good incentive, maybe it's already been considered but I didn't see a response to it.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, now that Canada is out of the World Cup I can start focusing on this. I'll catch you on IRC sometime Shiv and we can talk about some good incentives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)