Smogon Frontier - Summer Edition

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I discussed the status of the Smogon Frontier with Aeolus a few months ago (and again ealier today to work out the details). He gave me permission to restart it on July 12th. Since that time is coming soon, I feel it's necessary to get everything organized beforehand. The biggest concern from the last thread I posted was that the brains will lose their steam early. For that reason, the frontier will only run for 30 days without limiting the amount of players that join. The deadline is limiting enough to competitors. That will be a big improvement because after the original wave of players, a lot of random users were filling up all the replacement slots. This time everyone and anyone will have a fair chance. I also thought about doing multiple tiers a little more and decided against it. It's already challenging enough with playing 11 of the best OU players and a randbat. I will be writing an article for the Smog about it, which will be released on July 4th. That will give everyone a long week to hype about it on IRC / Shoddy.

Finally, we'll need to update the brain staff. Here are the requirements Aeolus posted:

Requirements:
1) Talent. You have to be very good. If you don't mind, post your current CRE. All games are going to be standard OU... because that was really really fun the last time we did it.
2) Willingness to make yourself available to challengers.

Those of you that held a position in the previous season and still meet the requirements will be likely to receive their same position if chosen. Shoddy Moderators are prefered, but it is not a requirement. Sinnoh brain titles will be changed to their American names. Factory Foreman will stay the same.

Arena Tycoon Aeroblacktyl
Factory Head Jackal
Dome Ace Twist of Fate
Pike Queen JabbaTheGriffin
Palace Maven KD24
Salon Maiden TAY
Pyramid King panamaxis
Tower Tycoon Kevin Garrett
Factory Foreman august
Arcade Star Jimbo
Castle Valet Blue Kirby
Hall Matron Taylor

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd be happy to be Dome Ace again.

However if Jumpman doesn't want to randbat I loooooooove randbats ^__^; (so arcade star)

I'll post my current CRE later. Lately I've been battling a lot on my main account (Jimbo) which had/has a very low deviation and an eh rating because I mess around with it and sometimes give battles away. I think right now my CRE is around 1500 though which isn't bad (I brought it up from 1415 two points at a time if that matters).

Oh I'm also a Shoddy Mod already and I take challengers readily :)

i will be happy to join as the palace maven again

1432 record, im kind of in the same boat as jimbo, i rarely ever go on laddering sprees to keep a high record and usually like to test a lot of things on ladder. if i need to, i can get high on ladder for you.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to join for any position really. I haven't played standard OU in last week or so because I've been focusing on suspect, and right now there I've got a CRE of 1556, a deviation of 49 and an average rating of 1747. I'm already a shoddy mod and go on shoddy everyday as it is, so I'll be available to take challenges regularly.

However, I am going on holiday from the 20th of July to the 2nd of August and will have no little to no internet access for these 13 days. If this is a problem I understand, but I'm more than willing to cram challenges in before and after to make up for it.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I would undertake any position.

My CRE right now is like 1450ish, but thats misleading because i haven't laddered in 2 or 3 weeks. It was 1605 when i stopped.

EDIT: I am not a shoddy mod however

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to play but I wanna be pike queen :(

also, can we come up with cool stipulations for the matches?

I would like to take up my old slot if possible (Palace Maven at the time of closure). I haven't laddered for a while, because you know I was trying to get my account back on track so had to let the deviation rise first, but it is at 1443 at the moment with a relatively high 59.5 deviation (something which I could capitalize on I hope).

/edit: Tower Tycoon is definitely the coolest though >:0!

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to do the vie for a randbat position assuming Jump doesn't reclaim it.

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
mop and i agree to split the title of arena tycoon ggs!

seriously id like factory foreman again if thats alright

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like my Factory Head position back, but if whoever makes this decision decides that there are better battlers than I, I understand I guess. I don't really ladder seriously (although I try to keep up with the metagame), and if that is reason enough to take me out, so be it!

I am pretty confident that I would be able to hold my own though, and I at least represent higher up smogon authority on there!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
is there any reason for why its going to be standard OU? I think it would be more faithful to the actual battle frontier if we changed things up a bit. Also, it would keep the brains and participants more interested throughout the tourney. Instead of just making one team for all the brains...we'd actually be making people think throughout the whole tourney.

If I'm missing something just let me know or say fuck off jrrrr or something, I was just kinda disappointed by every match being exactly the same.

Yeah any position works for me. CRE is kinda misleading for me because I rarely play standard, more of a suspect player as of late, as well as UU. If you really want I can ladder on some alt to 1500+...

Edit: I wouldn't mind being Arcade Star...that seem so so rad lol.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
is there any reason for why its going to be standard OU? I think it would be more faithful to the actual battle frontier if we changed things up a bit. Also, it would keep the brains and participants more interested throughout the tourney. Instead of just making one team for all the brains...we'd actually be making people think throughout the whole tourney.

If I'm missing something just let me know or say fuck off jrrrr or something, I was just kinda disappointed by every match being exactly the same.
If there are special conditions for each battle then it will be a lot harder for people to have a chance of winning. In the previous thread and a discussion we had on IRC a few months ago, there were too many people against having different sets of rules or tiers for each brain. If a challenger even gets haxed in one game it puts additional pressure of them to win every other game, including the randbat. Then they would have to abide by rules they might not be used to playing by. It's discouraging for people who want to play standard OU.

The challenges get stale after a while, but that is why there is a reasonable deadline.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ya I'll apply. I just laddered a bunch today and got back to about 1490.

Castle Valet, yeah?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The allowing anyone in is a big improvement; last time people would want to enter when it first started, and by the time slots freed up enough, they lost interest because they thought it was impossible after big names couldn't beat the Frontier. If everyone tries at the same time at least there will be more people willing to try, I think. It's still heavily stacked against the opponent, but I kind of figured that was the point, that if you can win this you're beyond good (and there's something seriously broken about your team, probably).

I could be a Brain. I'm not spectacular, though, last time I checked my CRE was in the 1400s for OU. Arcade Star Chris ?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Heh I'm in the same boat as Jimbo and stuff with my rating at like 1540 only going up two points at a time, but whilst I would love to reclaim Pyramid King, I do have exams to study for in those hols so I shall challenge it :). Gl to all Brains (heh you're all going down to me!)

DawnBringer

The thrill of attempting to get what you will neve
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to be arcade star, but not a mod, and my current CRE is misleading as well as I haven't laddered seriously in a while. When I stopped, it was at 1624.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)