Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to learn how to cook, what's a good dish that I could easily learn involving pasta?
image.jpeg
Spaghetti bolognese with diced bacon and sliced sausage. Dice up some rashers of bacon and slice one or two sausages and fry them until they are no longer red, ensuring that they are moving at all times. Dice up 1-2 white onions+1-2 red red peppers until they are small (about half the size of the end section of your middle finger). Sweat these with garlic (diced extremely small) and olive oil in the same frying pan that you have the sausage and bacon in, still ensuring that it is moving at all times (and ensuring it is spread as thinly across the base of the pan as possible). Break apart and add a packet or two of beef mince to the pan and mush it with the end of the spatula so that as little is stuck together as possible. Keep the contents of the pan moving all the way through this process. When there is no red/pink mince left, move the contents to a casserole dish and add a jar or two of tomato sauce. Depending on the amount of sauce you are making, leave this to simmer for 20-30 minutes or longer, stirring at regular intervals (the longer it's simmering for the better, so you shouldn't need to be very religious with your timing of this). Towards the end of the cooking time, boil 2 kettles full of water, pour them into a large steel pan and bring it back to the boil. Add oil and a little salt to the water before adding the spaghetti, and allow it to cook al dente (should take just under 10 minutes). Drain the pasta with a colander, quickly put it back into the original pan, quickly add a small amount of cold water to stop it cooking, and quickly drain it again.

The good thing about pasta sauce is that it lasts for days, so if you cook too much you can just put it in the fridge and re-heat some of it when you want to eat more of it. Just try to finish it within 4-5 days and it should be good.

Spaghetti bolognese with diced bacon and sliced sausage. Dice up some rashers of bacon and slice one or two sausages and fry them until they are no longer red, ensuring that they are moving at all times. Dice up 1-2 white onions+1-2 red red peppers until they are small (about half the size of the end section of your middle finger). Sweat these with garlic (diced extremely small) and olive oil in the same frying pan that you have the sausage and bacon in, still ensuring that it is moving at all times (and ensuring it is spread as thinly across the base of the pan as possible). Break apart and add a packet or two of beef mince to the pan and mush it with the end of the spatula so that as little is stuck together as possible. Keep the contents of the pan moving all the way through this process. When there is no red/pink mince left, move the contents to a casserole dish and add a jar or two of tomato sauce. Depending on the amount of sauce you are making, leave this to simmer for 20-30 minutes or longer, stirring at regular intervals (the longer it's simmering for the better, so you shouldn't need to be very religious with your timing of this). Towards the end of the cooking time, boil 2 kettles full of water, pour them into a large steel pan and bring it back to the boil. Add oil and a little salt to the water before adding the spaghetti, and allow it to cook al dente (should take just under 10 minutes). Drain the pasta with a colander, quickly put it back into the original pan, quickly add a small amount of cold water to stop it cooking, and quickly drain it again.

The good thing about pasta sauce is that it lasts for days, so if you cook too much you can just put it in the fridge and re-heat some of it when you want to eat more of it. Just try to finish it within 4-5 days and it should be good.
Would the same recipe work with chicken instead of bacon and turkey sausage instead of regular sausage? I quit eating pork almost two years ago.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would the same recipe work with chicken instead of bacon and turkey sausage instead of regular sausage? I quit eating pork almost two years ago.
Yeah that should be fine. If you want to you can also forgo it and it's still rlly good, but I personally like the added flavour+break in texture they give it.

edit: also u can substitute it for shit like mushrooms etc. instead if you prefer that kind of thing. Experiment.

Last edited:
Ok if your lazy fat and hungry and happen to have these things in your fridge make this crap it is good af and fills you up. All you need is
1 can large jumbo biscuits (I like the ones with butter in them but you do you)
Mozzarella cheese
Some kind of tomato sauce (like pizza or pasta or just regular tomato sauce)
And ANY PIZZA TOPPING YOU WANT
Then take you biscuits and flatten them, pour on your sauce, add cheese and ALL THE TOPPINGS YOU WANT, and throw it in the oven.
As far as temperatures and time just follow what the can of biscuits say and enjoy a good lazy cheap pizza snack

Tried making udon the other day because the convenience store by my dorm sells flour and salt but I messed up and kneaded it way too little, so all I got was sorta pasta-tasting dough lumps.

GGFan

Banned deucer.
This morning I dined on some rather sumptuous fried eggs with a hint of parsley sprinkled on top. For my drink, I enjoyed a tall glass of freshly squeezed orange juice that erased all of my troubles and sorrows as it cascaded down my throat. Yes, this was a fine meal.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll do my best to post stuff in this thread from now on, but I actually have an Instagram for my cooking endeavors at #thisdadcooks if anyone is interested!

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Figured I'd post some of my meals

PLEASE Excuse my Horrible Phone Camera and PLEASE Excuse my lack of not caring how visually appealing the food looks, trust me it taste amazing.

Chicken Wings and Homemade Pizza
15036599_1058747884251290_5191132608131702288_n.jpg

14922271_1055646867894725_4232035485223616884_n.jpg

Juicy BBQ Ribs
14956661_1057524144373664_8419968016872881604_n.jpg

Basic Chicken drumsticks with some veggies
14962793_1060916687367743_460865197171446200_n.jpg

Pork Chops with Grilled Potatoes
27067158_1463070237152384_6946457951302993756_n.jpg

Please don't over criticize my entry level cooking skills.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh, so a thread like this does exist.

One of my stores offered a discount on cod, and rather than putting it in the freezer and forgetting about it for an indefinite amount of time, I figured I'd cook it the same day since I needed lunch boxes and had vegetables to spare. Basically just onions, spring onions, bell peppers, and one celery root diced in fair chunks, cooked in cream, coconut milk, and some fish stock, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, lemon juice, and a pinch of curry, with the cod thrown in and cooked for a short while, and shrimp barely cooked and instead just thrown in at the end of it (shrimp not necessary but they'd been in my freezer for a long time, as good a time as any).

Looked at some recipes on the web but never stuck to either of them, stews are very forgiving anyway since you can throw in most things and still turn out alright. Tasted nicely, but with that much fatty liquids, it'd be pretty hard to mess up, just hope the fish and shrimps won't be rubber tomorrow.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My meal plan only offers two """""free""""" meals a day, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for relatively cheap / healthy meals and how to make them? context: college sophomore, no cooking knowledge

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
mashed potatoes are really easy on the stove, you just boil potatoes until theyre soft and add some milk, butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder and then mash them up with a fork.

even faster are things like, eggs, bacon, grilled cheese, quesadillas, sausage, that you can fry up on the stove

you can also boil pasta on the stove and make a sauce in another pan.

you can also steal from the dining hall and keep fruit or snacks around for when youre too lazy to cook.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I've bought an electric hot pot for Christmas, and I've been cooking a lot of stuff with it.

I purchase soup stock (e.g. chicken stock, pork bone stock, etc) and boil vegetables, chicken, meatballs, fishballs together.
After the liquid is boiled, I turn off the heat, and add pho or vermicilli . Then, cover the hot pot for 3~4 minutes.
Then I have a whole pot of stuff to eat. (I eat directly from the pot)

49444779_10155942681751475_4533661946016169984_n.jpg

50565974_10155973641726475_1899768415610994688_n.jpg

My meal plan only offers two """""free""""" meals a day, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for relatively cheap / healthy meals and how to make them? context: college sophomore, no cooking knowledge
If you have no cooking experience and not that much money I would suggest making large amounts of rice mixes that you can store and eat for a few days. Cooking rice is extremely easy and from there you can honestly add whatever you want (vegetables, meats, tofu, etc). Personally, I'm a vegetarian so my strategy would be to mix brown rice, fried tofu squares (which are really easy to cook), and sauteed mixed vegetables (also really easy to cook). From there, I would put everything in a large tupperware/mixing bowl and add some soy sauce + hot pepper flakes to make it less bland. The idea is to make about ~7 portions so that you won't have to cook for a few days and can just reheat some of your food whenever you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)