Gen 3 Smeargle (OU REVAMP) [QC 0/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview: Smeargle has a very specific but potent niche in the adv metagame. Smeargle's speed tier allows it to outrun most common leads, and access to spikes makes it the perfect lead for hyper offensive teams. Unfortunately, Smeargle’s complete lack of bulk, offensive stats, and resistances create an underwhelming pokemon outside of the lead slot. If you want a spiker for more balanced teams use Skarmory, Cloyster, or Forretress.

Spikes Lead (Smeargle) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Substitute
- Spikes
- Endeavor/Explosion

Set Details:
Smeargle should start off every game with a spore, its base 75 speed tier allows it to outrun most common leads and get off the fast sleep. Then Smeargle will sub and set up spikes, substitute is a good move on smeargle because it provides safety from attacks and allows it to sub down to its Salac berry, allowing it to fire off a quick endeavor or explosion to provide its teammates setup opportunities. Smeargle invests in max special defense to take a zapdos thunderbolt, which also puts it into Salac berry range.

Team options-
Smeargle should be used on hyper offensive teams as a lead. Strong partners include spike abusers such as aerodactyl. . One very strong partner for Smeargle is Gengar, Gengar spinblocker to keep up the precious spikes Smeargle lays, while also providing a fighting immunity. Gengar also has a base 110 speed tier, allowing it to provide speed control for the team, and an explosion to provide set up opportunities for teammates.

Other options-
Smeargle has access to every move in the game, but due to its pitiful stats, it is unable to make use of many of them. A viable item choice over Salac berry is Lum berry, Lum allows Smeargle to absorb Zapdos thunder waves and sleep from faster sleep leads. Will-o-wisp and taunt are interesting options, but it's best to stick with spore for status and explosion/endeavor to deal with opposing setup. Thunder wave falls into the same category as Will-o-wisp. Whirlwind can be used to rack up spikes damage, and phase out leads that use substitute. Mean look perish song Smeargle could be used, but is completely outclassed by Gengar in this role. Memento can provide setup opportunities but does not synergize with substitute as well as Explosion and Endeavor. Destiny bond can be used to similar effect, but gives free setup opportunity if the opponent does not attack. Endure can be used over substitute, to trigger salac berry versus salamence, but weakens Smeargle's matchups against the rest of the metagame. Fake out can be used to discover if Tyranitar or Metagross have a lum berry or if Tyranitar, Metagross or Salamence have a choice band, but you have to give up a valuable moveslot to fit it. Assist can be a fun option on baton pass teams, but is too gimmicky to consistently work. Super fang is an option for guaranteed damage, but endeavor does this better. Imprison could be used to shut down opposing spikes, but Smeargle has to use a valuable turn on imprison and it is hard to fit realistically. Your Smeargle set is only limited by your imagination, but its best to stick with support moves.

Checks and Counters-
Lum berry leads- Lum berry leads such as Metagross or Tyranitar can shrug off Smeargle’s spore and easily OHKO it in return.
Salamence-Salamence is the only common lead that both outruns and OHKO’s smeargle.
Spinners-Smeargle’s only role for a team is setting up spikes, and spinners can easily remove them from the field.
Faster sleep leads: unless lum berry, smeargle can get outsped and slept by leads such as venusaur and jynx.

Credits
Written by: [Lukee]
Quality checked by:[[, ], [, ]]
Grammar checked by:[[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hello Lukee are we still doing this? Following up from the discord conversation, most QC members are in agreement that the moveset order should change, and set details / partners should be beefed up. A lot of stuff you mentioned in other options can belong in the main set given altina's slashing. Only contentious thing is Sub but that probably goes in the 4th slot. Let me know.

9:51 PM] Altina: atm i dont think theres too much dispute in us changing the moves u put on the main set
[9:51 PM] Altina: @Lukee.
[9:51 PM] Altina: 1)spike
2)spore
3) boom slash endeavour here???
4) wow/taunt/dbond/twave?
[9:51 PM] Altina: basically sub and endeavour shouldnt be on the main set
[9:52 PM] Altina: kind of off beat options
[9:53 PM] Altina: explosion should always be a first slash
[9:57 PM] Lukee.: Ah alright
[9:59 PM] Lukee.: Isn't sub often used to scout switch ins?
[9:59 PM] Altina: i havent seen it used much from experience
[10:02 PM] Altina: i dont think your analysis is ready for qc yet, you should write a bit to explain smeargles niche over other spikers (spore), you should mention tyranitar as a partner, elaborate an extra line about aerodactyl (revenge killing the unboosted metagame, no setup )
[10:02 PM] Lasse: U dont care what switches in
[10:03 PM] Lasse: U cripple one thing, get ur spike, cripple another if u can/want to
[10:04 PM] Lasse: Fwiw i think mirror coat is better in theory than in practice
[10:04 PM] Lasse: Any zap lead will either sub or switch/bp
[10:04 PM] Altina: its an oo at best ye
[10:04 PM] Lasse: And ur not sleep sacking zap vs spike smeargle teams
[10:05 PM] Altina: you should also mention the difficulty in getting up all layers with smeargle as it dies to any physical hit
[10:19 PM] Lukee.: Thank you
[11:35 PM] h3nz(watermess): Yeah altina covered it perfectly
[11:35 PM] h3nz(watermess): Status is an incredible filler because
[11:36 PM] h3nz(watermess): After a spore people like to switch
[11:36 PM] h3nz(watermess): So you don't get lots of layers
[11:36 PM] h3nz(watermess): And commonly the switch in is gonna be faster
[11:36 PM] h3nz(watermess): Faster special attackers only put you into salac
[11:36 PM] h3nz(watermess): And you hit the faster physical ones with wisp
[11:36 PM] h3nz(watermess): And get Ur spike anyway
[2:43 AM] mikmer: Sub is mandatory imo, not really for scouting switch-ins but more for scouting early wake-ups
[3:00 AM] h3nz(watermess): i practically never use sub on my smear
[3:01 AM] h3nz(watermess): all it ever gets u is a spike you would have had if you just clicked it
[3:01 AM] h3nz(watermess): everyone switches out once u sleep them, they dont want to risk max layers
[3:01 AM] h3nz(watermess): in my experience at least
[3:06 AM] mikmer: Really? I almost never switch out, unless they reveal sub of course, if you get an early wake up with say ttar or metagross you can kill the smear right away and your team is all awake, if you switch on the other hand you have to play the entire game 6v5 and they still get 1 layer on the switch
[3:11 AM] h3nz(watermess): or they get one layer, boom in ur face and set up for free with their ddtar
[3:11 AM] h3nz(watermess): :P
[3:11 AM] h3nz(watermess): you having only burned 1 turn
[3:11 AM] h3nz(watermess): :pain:
[3:11 AM] mikmer: 2 turns if im slower
[3:13 AM] mikmer: And setting up ddtar in the face of a sleeping ttar or meta is a very risky play, not to mention i might have a full defensive pert in the bacc too
[3:42 AM] Altina: I always switch fwiw

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Lukee is withdrawing this and Smeargle will be put back up for reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)