SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly specific to UU, but it's the meta I care more about so I'm asking here.
Usually when choosing leads I tend to end up liking Azelf or Froslass. However sometimes I find matchups where I just cannot lead with them because they happen to have counters to them. How do I play them in these situations? If for example the opponent leads with a spinner who can KO Azelf once its sash is broken by the spin, leading into a guessing game which is not ideal for suicide leads.

Also the more important question is: When I am not playing a HO team, what kind of a lead should I be looking for or should I even have a dedicated lead at all. I have a very hard time coming up with a team that doesn't have a suicide lead since those just feel so splashable and simple to get the momentum in the match.

Not exactly specific to UU, but it's the meta I care more about so I'm asking here.
Usually when choosing leads I tend to end up liking Azelf or Froslass. However sometimes I find matchups where I just cannot lead with them because they happen to have counters to them. How do I play them in these situations? If for example the opponent leads with a spinner who can KO Azelf once its sash is broken by the spin, leading into a guessing game which is not ideal for suicide leads.

Also the more important question is: When I am not playing a HO team, what kind of a lead should I be looking for or should I even have a dedicated lead at all. I have a very hard time coming up with a team that doesn't have a suicide lead since those just feel so splashable and simple to get the momentum in the match.
To answer your first question, if you know for a fact that the opponent will lead with a spinner that beats your lead, you should lead with something else to force their spinner out, allowing you to switch in your lead. Froslass does spinblock, and Azelf can use explosion to prevent a spin or defog though, so usually spinners are not a big deal, Starmie is the worst matchup for Azelf when it comes to hazard control, since it can win a speed tie and prevent hazards from going up. Of course, if the hazard control user is slower, explosion will stop it from removing hazards.

Second question, HO teams need the momentum right away, since if they lose one turn of momentum they can lose the match. Other teams don't need this, so a suicide lead is usually pointless, and they would rather have that 6th member and the ability to have more flexibility with the lead matchup. You don't really have to build with a specific lead in mind in generations that have team preview.

Last edited:
Since Drizzle is, probably for very good reasons, banned from the UU metagame, what are some reliable manual rain setters to use? Suicide rain setters and Z-Rain Dancers and sustained rain users, anything is fine.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Since Drizzle is, probably for very good reasons, banned from the UU metagame, what are some reliable manual rain setters to use? Suicide rain setters and Z-Rain Dancers and sustained rain users, anything is fine.
Tornadus is the primary one, and I've also seen some people use Klefki and Uxie. Tornadus and Klefki have Prankster in order to reliably set rain, while Tornadus can abuse it with Hurricane and Uxie can gain momentum with Memento.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
as for more I guess "offensive setters", I have seen Kingdras set their own rain with some success and also Z-Rain Dance Keldeo pops up from time to time

I would like to ask, if anyone knows a reasonable and viable enough competitive set for HA Darmanitan? I know that it isn't used much because its Sheer Force is preferred, but i would like to give its Zen Mode a chance. I believe it's not there for nothing.

I would like to ask, if anyone knows a reasonable and viable enough competitive set for HA Darmanitan? I know that it isn't used much because its Sheer Force is preferred, but i would like to give its Zen Mode a chance. I believe it's not there for nothing.
Sorry mate it truly is there for basically nothing, Shit ability on a near shit mon.

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Xurkitree is a nice Pokemon for sure. You can build around it !

Xurkitree @ Psychium Z / Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis / Electric Terrain
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot / Tail Glow
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Z-Hypnosis/Electrin Terrain are the principal Xurkitree set.
But you can play it Scarf if you prefered (or Buginium Z to take care of Hydreigon / Latias / Celebi which are common switch-in to Xurkitree.. Dazzling Gleam can also be played).

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Is looking into Xurkitree a possibility? And if so, how would that be gone about exactly?
It's waaay too early to start calling for quickbans when the tier shift happened like ~3-4 days ago. It's better to just let the meta settle down and give us time to adapt to the drops before calling for bans and/or suspects (similarly to Mega Sharpedo where a lot of people called it broken, including myself, and then the meta adapted to it and it's super manageable). New toy syndrome is probably in effect right now so, best to wait.

Yeah like Moutemoute, Xurkitree to me is one of those broken-on-paper type mons but in practice, its Speed and bulk makes it reliant on either +1 Speed from Scarf/Z-Crystals while its poor bulk makes it difficult for it to come in on anything.

I'm actually mad curious about Sylveon in D rank. Since Clefable is in OU now, will it be okay for people to nominate Sylveon for a higher ranking in the future?

I'm actually mad curious about Sylveon in D rank. Since Clefable is in OU now, will it be okay for people to nominate Sylveon for a higher ranking in the future?
Since it's in D rank, and thus discussion is not allowed on it, I'm pretty sure that we should wait until a ranking update, as I'm sure the council will discuss Sylveon and where it should be placed, and it will probably be mentioned in said ranking update.

Do you think mega Pidgeot will be any good in this meta? Perfectly accurate Hurricanes are very good and it is fast, but Mega Aeros still all over the place.

Do you think mega Pidgeot will be any good in this meta? Perfectly accurate Hurricanes are very good and it is fast, but Mega Aeros still all over the place.
Even with Mega Aerodactyl all over the place, a lack of resistances to Flying plus a really good speed tier means that Pidgeot is definitely still a threat to a lot of offensive teams. I haven't used this set personally but I've heard that Work Up Refresh is no longer as good as it was as a stallbreaker, and confusion nerf means that overall I don't think this is a banworthy mon, but a very solid one to use.

Is Registeel outclassed by anything in UU as a physical/mixed wall that sets rocks?
Also, provided I already have a special wall, should I run full physical defense, or should I go mixed?

Is drizzle now a thing in UU...the updated list didn't say but I tried the combo on showdown recently and couldn't use it, so I was a bit unsure.

I havent done a tourney on smogon before and I don't know how it all works. Is it on smogon website or is it in a certain place.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
How is Snorlax in the current meta? I heard a Curse + Recycle set with Gluttony was pretty good but with the addition of Buzzwole in the meta I'm not so sure if it's that great anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)