SM OU Teambuilding Competition Round 12: Alakazam (Building Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly disappointed with a lot of the teams submitted here since people don't know what a volcarona check is, but at the same time, heracross teams will naturally get boned by fire types so i can't complain...

teams 1 & 2 are innovative, but they seem absolute shit in practice just because of the lack of solid synergy between team members. i then came down to teams 6, 7, and 11 since they are the only set of teams that do not get completely shattered by mega charizard y or the aforementioned volcarona. i used team 11 personally so i am crossing that out because i had no counterplay to ash greninja outside of getting every prediction right lol. the team also gets boned by zygarde because the mew set was ass.

team 6 or 7? one is walled by toxapex and the other isn't. pretty obvious choice here, so ye, i'm voting team 7.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
The winner for this round is Gross Sweep with 7 votes, grats! If BL stops being dead he'll add your team to the Hall of Fame.
Team 7 - 6
Team 8 - 2
Team 9 - 1
Team 13 - 7

Note: Just for the future rounds, since this apparently isn't in the OP; only vote for one team during the voting stage, voting for more than one team means I'm gonna disqualify your vote :x
Round 13:

Alakazam is a mon that I have not built with in a while after Lele + Mega Zam died down, although its still a strong threat due to its outstanding Speed and Special Attack stats. Regular Alakazam has seen some usage recently due to its Counter + Focus Sash set, so this round will be centered around Alakazam. You can use either Mega Zam or regular Zam, whichever one is up to you. Bonus points for building with Sash Zam, because I'm highkey trying to nab some teams with it. Building round end Friday, June 2nd at 6:00 PM EST / GMT-4. Have fun building!

Last edited:
How timely.

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Toxic
- Extreme Speed

Celebi @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 34 HP / 88 Def / 190 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Coming in full soon but essentially it is a bulky offense squad built around Double Dance Landorus-Therian. Keldeo and Zygarde are my choiced breakers. Magearna and Celebi serve as awesome pivots to get in those aforementioned breakers. Zam is the janitor of the squad!

Last edited:

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Counter

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane

this team was tailored around a core of sash zam + ferrothorn because zam forces a ton of switches in desperate attempts not to loses 1-2 mons to it. mega mawile seemed like a good pick because it alleviates a lot of issues with stall to an extent and works as a generally great wallbreaker. sd was chosen to have some form of a wincon and it benefits heavily from spikes support. keldeo was added as the obvious scarfer as well as a secondary check to (Ash)Greninja. defensive lando is lando, sets rocks, checks a huge amount of threats, etc. finally, av torn-t was used to round off the team because things like gengar serperior, and keldeo were looking pretty scary to face. sash zam pretty much ensures you don't get blown completely back by quite a few threats with thunder wave and counter so do your best not to lose it before you've gotten the chance to remove with plagues you the most of the opposing team.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Tapu Lele @ Shed Shell
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- High Jump Kick

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 23 SpD / 21 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Some cool BO team ive laddered until the 1600s with. Cm zam was the set of choice since it forces a lot of switches, meaning it has a lot of opportunities to setup a cm. The next and obvious partner was lele. I decided to have the shed shell set so i could actually beat stall. With a core very weak to celesteela, i decided tran would be the next partner.it also helped vs opposing Lele. Tangrow was the next mon, as it gave me a water resist and a amazing pivot. Rock slide was put instead of eq to lure volc, or atleast put it on range of a edge from a scarfer if charti. Speaking of scarfer, i choose mienshao because of u turn to get tran/lele/zam safely, and to actually rkill autotomize celesteela when tran is weakened and can no longer check it(or when u get memed by eq celes) lando was the last mon. It gave me rocks and a slow u turn to take advantage of.

A - Lakazam (Alakazam-Mega) @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

No S (Tapu Lele) @ Shed Shell
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Why no? (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

S? (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nichemon (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 132 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

No nick (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot / Sludge Wave / Focus Blast

Alakazam-Mega has a great speed tier, Knock Off harms several of his switchs, removing AV from Magearna, Leftovers from Jirachi and Tapu Fini or even Eviolite from Chansey, helping Tapu Lele to break down fatter teams.
Lando and Magearna are the defensive pivot core, helping M-Kazam with momentum.
Mantine is Defog support, and prevents 6-0 against Volcarona, this spread is to better defend the two forms of Greninja.
The last choice was very difficult, no choice would fill all the necessary spaces, but Thundurus-T helps against Rotom-W and Pinsir-M, and has decent Scarf speed.
Bulu is annoying, and I believe everyone expects a happy ending in the Baton Pass case.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 224 HP / 136 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower

I chose sash counter Alakazam as it can stop fearsome sweepers such as Zygarde and Mega Pinsir while being an cool revenge killer as it gets a get out of jail free card with sash + magic guard

Landorus-t + Tapu Koko can break stall together, Landorus-t has sub smack down to go through Mega Sableye and Skarmory, holding earth plate for more wall breaking power and it has sword dance to take out fatter threats easier while Tapu Koko helps outpacing faster threats such as Greninja and Weavile + has taunt so I can beat Sticky webs and helps deal with stall easier

Mega Heracross filled up a mega stone slot and breaks through Tangrowth and None Z Fly Landorus-t easier while 2HKO nearly everything in sight

Heatran goes really well with Counter Zam and Mega Heracross, Heatran deals with Magearna and Tapu Bulu easier for the team, sets up stealth rock and help cover up some weaknesses with Mega Heracross such as Psychic and Fairy Types

Azumarill was chosen so I don't get 6-0'd by Volcarona and is also a neat switch into Keldeo and Ash Greninja

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Tapu Lele @ Shed Shell
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Rash Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

When I started making this team I decided that I would use stallbreaker Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam together because of their great synergy. Tapu lele and Alakazam have similar switch ins (things like Magearna and Amuk) so they do a great job of softening teams for each other. Alakazam is great against faster teams but suffers against bulkier teams where Lele is great against fat teams but is less usable against faster teams. Lele setting up psychic terrain is just icing on the cake. It felt like it would be easier to use these two together on a very aggressive team because otherwise you are somewhat pigeon holed into using things like Reuniclus Mew or Clefable to deal with Medicham which felt too susceptible to things like Celesteela and pursuit trappers in general.

Sash Garchomp lead was very popular a while ago and I think it's great at creating early pressure on a faster team like this. Koko was added to help deal with common switchins to Lele and Zam like Celesteela and to provide momentum. It is also a nice way of dealing with things like Greninja which can be nuisance to offensive teams. Offensive Celesteela was added as somewhat of a ground switchin, I went with earthquake so it would be able to take out things like Heatran and Koko after setting up. It tends to pair well with Garchomp as it's able to set up on most Landorus quite easily which is the most common Garchomp answer. It can also setup on things like Magearna, Scizor and Muk (among others) which are all common answers to Lele and Mega zam. Nihilego was added as a way to deal with Volcarona and the Zards as well as providing some extra speed control notably revenge killing Koko.

EDIT: Running Taunt over volt switch on Koko and calm mind or hp fire over taunt on Alakazam is also a valid option.

Last edited:

Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Knock Off

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Double Kick

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / UTurn

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I wanted to build around Alakazam-Mega for the purpose of the competition and my RMT was built around Regular Alakazam and I wanted something different. In addition, I had relatively few builds around Alakazam-M and none of them could work out in a decent condition. I looked into a similar team and wanted some parts to be the same because I felt it would be helpful if so. Choice Scarf Terrakion was added to check Pokemon like Mega Pinsir and every Volcarona dt including Charti Berry. It also beats Sticky Webs, which pressures the rest of my team with Double Kick. Next, Choice Specs Ash-Greninja can check Pokemon like Mew and Landorus-T with the ability to deal heavy damage to teams which lack a Solid answer to it. It also is my only form of priority. A backbone of Clefable + Ferrothorn allows rocks to be set up against stall, check Banded Zygarde, Tapu Koko, and Mega Medicham with providing me with very helpful Spikes. Clefable is my "Ground resist" even though it does not resist ground, it beats Zygarde and Scarf Garchomp, with also hugely weakening Devastating Drake sets. Lastly, Magearna checks Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Greninja with not sapping all my momentum. Knock Off Modest Alakazam allows it to beat chansey 1v1 while also crippling other massive annoyances like Magearna from its Assault Vest and Celesteela from its Leftovers. HP Fire can also be run because Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor are super annoying. Dazzling Gleam allows it to nail Mega Sableye to make it my primary way to stallbreak after Rocks are up vs stall. Psyshock is for Chansey and Modest allows it to 2hko a knocked off Chansey and deal a lot of extra damage. Double Kick allows Terrakion to beat Sticky Webs. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit annoying steel types, but in particular, Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor which are massive annoyances . Same goes for HP fire in Magearna. The special defense on Magearna helps vs Protean Greninja and even Battle Bond. Ice Beam on Greninja-Ash allows it to tear apart slight annoyances like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu. The pivoting potential of UTurn is also extremely good for this team, even though I don't use it that often, with also ohkoing Hoopa-U which also is a threat. Some threats to this team includes fatter Balances, Mega Scizor, Mew, Reuniclus, Magearna, Heatran, and Tornadus-T.

Last edited:

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Stone Edge

The team is basically based around getting rid of threats for Alakazam to late game clean. AV lando is a fun set i tried out to help against Magearna and Celesteela, and it avoids getting 2HKOd by flash cannon, (252 SpA Magearna Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 105-124 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO). Jirachi helps against threats like Tapu Lele, while Scarf Keldeo is reliable speed control, and has Stone Edge to revenge kill a +1 Volcarona, while also threatening Greninja and Ash Greninja with Secret Sword. Wacan Berry Manaphy is useful as one of the most powerful wallbreakers in the tier, after a turn of setup, and can break down Heatran and the like for a late-game clean up with Alakazam, as previously mentioned. Bulu checks Zygarde and Fini while also providing useful recovery for the whole team with grassy terrain. Jirachi and Landorus Therian have u-turn , to take a hit from faster pokemon and then to bring Alakazam in safely.

Im you, you are me.

Importable.
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Explanation.
Curiously, Alakazam mega is the fastest pokémon of the popular tier without counting those users Scarf. I see that for this round could be the normal and the mega evolution. I found the best mega option for more potential. Well, Psychic for the best stab with its great SpA base of 175. ShadowBall for all that ghost type (Mimikyu, Alola Marowak, etc.) and by cover. Focus Blast is my departure to the steel or Tyranitar, although it is not very viable. Finally Taunt for stalls or status as Twave. I needed something safe to catch and eliminate everything Scizor, Ferro etc, so here goes Magnezone who is one of the best companions of Alakazam. In the following the most seen or used pokémon of OU, LandorusT. My SR users with z move that covers Zone of fighting and ground move. It is the turn of Magearna, is an interesting pokémon in any role, defensive / offensive. This time as it is the team I think it fits better as shown. Garchomp Scarf assures me to attack before anyone else and creates a great core with Magearna. Specs Lele is the best to accompany Scarf Chomp and protect the fragile Alakazam.

Im you, you are me.

Importable.
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Explanation.
Curiously, Alakazam mega is the fastest pokémon of the popular tier without counting those users Scarf. I see that for this round could be the normal and the mega evolution. I found the best mega option for more potential. Well, Psychic for the best stab with its great SpA base of 175. ShadowBall for all that ghost type (Mimikyu, Alola Marowak, etc.) and by cover. Focus Blast is my departure to the steel or Tyranitar, although it is not very viable. Finally Taunt for stalls or status as Twave. I needed something safe to catch and eliminate everything Scizor, Ferro etc, so here goes Magnezone who is one of the best companions of Alakazam. In the following the most seen or used pokémon of OU, LandorusT. My SR users with z move that covers Zone of fighting and ground move. It is the turn of Magearna, is an interesting pokémon in any role, defensive / offensive. This time as it is the team I think it fits better as shown. Garchomp Scarf assures me to attack before anyone else and creates a great core with Magearna. Specs Lele is the best to accompany Scarf Chomp and protect the fragile Alakazam.
why are u posting my team with the exact same sets and everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)