SM Creative and Underrated Sets

approved by cbrevan. art by 13ulbasaur. based on the OU version.
Welcome to Creative and Underrated Sets, Gen VII CAP edition!

Standard sets are, well, standard for a reason. They're reliable and effective at what they do. On the other hand, sometimes less conventional sets can give you the edge in a battle. This can be by taking advantage of common metagame trends, being unprepared for, or just sheer surprise factor.

Wait! Before hitting that post button, please read through the rules:
  • Your post should highlight a creative or underrated set.
    • Creative sets typically make use of moves, abilities, and/or techniques that differ from the norm.
    • Underrated sets are typically Pokemon that see low usage despite being strong in the current metagame.
  • Include a replay in your post which showcases the set against a competent opponent. This thread isn't the place for theorymon or "low ladder crushers." If your set doesn't hold up against a competent opponent, it's probably not a good set.
  • Your set should not be outclassed by another Pokemon. Some people like running subpar Pokemon in order to distinguish themselves from other players, but there's no good reason to actually run these Pokemon. This also includes Pokemon that have distinguishing traits on paper but struggle to actually function in the metagame.
  • Explain why your set is worth running! Being a Grass-type wallbreaker isn't a good argument for why you should try Pokemon X. Instead, elaborate more on what said Grass typing allows Pokemon X to do, such as beat Quagsire.
Good sets will be added to the archive! Posts that don't follow the rules may be deleted. This applies to everyone. Your description doesn't need to be long, but seeing as this thread's purpose is to be a resource, it should at least cover the basics.

Naviathan @ Life Orb/Waterium Z
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpA / 48 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump/Scald/Surf
- Slack Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Hidden Power [Ground]/Ice Beam/taunt
- Hurricane/Ice Beam/taunt/Flash Cannon

This is a set that I started using on my naviathans. I think no one rally have used it before. THis navi set actually got me a lot of wins on the ladder. Naviathan has a very unique typing of water and steel which allows it to be a water check.No other mon besides empoleon has this typing. I have life orb on it to start hitting hard while tanking hits. Navi can check/counter mons like ferrothorn(with hp fire only), tapu lele without specs or focusblast, protean gren without hp ground or low kick,Volcarona etc. Naviathan is a very good fire and water check in general as switching in to protean gren and volkraken is hard. Also steel types are very much needed in this meta as fairy types are everywhere. I have 44 speed to out speed 56 speed base 95s and zygarde. The rest are in special attack and spdef(u can play around with evs in these 2)

Moveset:
Hydro Pump/Scald/Surf: These 3 moves are mandatory as they are your primary stabs that deal alot of damage.
Slack Off:THis move is there because it provides navi with healing to stay healthy to check mons throughout the game.
Hidden Power Fire/Ground: Hp fire is specifically for the likes of scizor and ferrothorn as without it, ferro will wall navi. Hp ground is to hit mollux and plasmanta and ohko/ do a lot of damage.
Hurricane/Ice Beam:Hurricane is there for grass types like venusaur, pyroak and tangrowth. Ice beam allows u to hit zygarde,cyclohm and zapdos.
Flash Cannon:stab

Taunt:who likes fighting baton pass and tr?

Calcs:
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 213-255 (60.5 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Naviathan in Psychic Terrain: 147-173 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO(note lele is starting to run focus more)
252 SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Naviathan: 348-410 (84.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Heatproof Naviathan: 307-363 (74.8 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 244-291 (78.4 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ SpA Naviathan Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 318-374 (102.2 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Naviathan: 53-64 (12.9 - 15.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Naviathan in Psychic Terrain: 144-170 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- 78.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Naviathan: 351-416 (85.6 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Heatproof Naviathan: 160-190 (39 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 185-218 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 43% chance to 2HKO(not like tangrowth can 2hko u either)
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Pyroak: 198-234 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Pyroak: 278-330 (62.7 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hurricane vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 205-242 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- 71.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
164+ SpA Life Orb Naviathan Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Plasmanta: 286-338 (109.1 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replay:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-581104496

Last edited:

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Moonblast
- Defog/Taunt

Calm Mind Fini is criminally underrated in my opinion. This thing dismantles teams that don't have something like Mollux or Plasmanta on them, and especially helps weaken bulkier mons for late game sweepers to clean up. Firstly, people expect that fini is almost always going to be a hazard removal, bulky set with Nature's Madness, Moonblast, Defog, and whatever in the fourth slot: CM Fini is able to use this to it's advantage to an extent, where opponents predict something like a defog or switch out of an unfavorable taunt target/bulky mon they don't want to lose half HP on, and give you a free CM. Secondly, its advantages over stuff like Suicune and CM Navi is typing: Fairy is incredibly good on this mon. Stuff that comes in easily on water stab doesn't really like eating boosted Moonblast: Dragons like Cyclohm get wiped off the face of the earth, bulky waters don't appreciate a neutral hit, you actually take a sizable chunk out of AV Tang and other grasses, and beat Tomo one-on-one with no boosts- you 2hko physdef sets through roost, and at +1 they cannot switch in to get off a Haze. Water/Fairy also serves as a great defensive typing, letting you set up on stuff like Scarf Volkraken and Ash-Gren. The last huge point in Fini's favor is Misty Surge. Setting Misty Terrain is a huge bonus on a slower, bulkier set up mon like this- it acts as a way to get around being statused as you set up, much like how CroCune runs Rest and Navi's steel typing lets it avoid Toxic.

Scald vs Pump is a preference thing- I usually run Pump just for the power against stuff like Pyroak, whereas Scald can hurt bulker teams a lot more by (eventually, after Misty Terrain runs out) spreading burns. The last slot gives you a lot of flexibility- Taunt helps versus bulky mons, Defog is still an option for hazard support (I personally run it as a second way to remove hazards on a team with Aero/Volca/Pyroak that really needs rocks gone), another coverage move can let you hit the two mons that otherwise wall you in Plasmanta and Mollux.

Replay(s): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-581616851
Here, Fini sets up to +1 on Tomo's spin, kills with moonblast, is able to defog later in the game and chip down Chansey to facilitate Volcarona's sweep to win the game.

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Underrated

Tomohawk @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast/Earth Power
- Taunt/Roost
- Stealth Rock

This Tomohawk set utilizes Generation 7's z stone mechanic to it's fullest potential, allowing tomohawk the ability to break through a number of bulky walls that would either prove harder to break such as tapu fini, or flat out OHKOing offensive leads like Landorus-T. The reason why I find Flynium Z over life orb is because it allows Tomohawk to seriously dent offensive teams with the big burst of damage, whilst also preventing rocks and setting your own rocks. Although you basically have no item after the power supplemented in such a burst makes up for it. Flynium Z also eases prediction a ton with Focus Blast variants as you can just click it burning through potential checks making it then easier to spam your Hurricanes later. Taunt combined with Super Sonic Sky Strike allows a secure shutdown of most defensive pokemon due to the prevention of recovery, as well as shutting down any pokemons potential Stealth Rock making it an effective lead. The offensive pressure asserted allows for easy Stealth Rocks most games due to it breaking every common hazard remover in the tier.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-551953463

This replay shows off this sets capabilities extremely well. Tomohawk proves to be a really amazing lead here as it beat 4/6 of his leads forcing him into a fairy which I had good answers to. Due to my set being unrevealed I assumed spark would expect my Tomohawk to be defensive. Taunt and Priority Stealth Rock as use to it's fullest to force him into a frail offensive mon such as Mawile. I then z Hurricane on turn 9 putting Mawile in range 100% of the time from Focus Blast from a timid Tomohawk. This broke one of his win conditions and assured stealth rock for the weakening of Marowak-A in the late game, showing Tomohawks effeciency against Hyper Offensive teams this generation despite being slower.

252 SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mawile-Mega: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Tomohawk Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mawile-Mega: 187-222 (61.5 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tomohawk Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mawile-Mega: 188-222 (61.8 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 333-393 (104.3 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Fidgit: 333-393 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 198-234 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 118-141 (34.4 - 41.1%) -- 62.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 318-375 (88.8 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 165-195 (43 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery(Picking it off after rocks)
252+ SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 99-117 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- 2.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 217-256 (66.9 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Marowak-Alola: 364-429 (112.3 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128 SpD Scizor-Mega: 268-316 (78.1 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk in Electric Terrain: 512-606 (145.8 - 172.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Plasmanta: 154-182 (58.7 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tomohawk Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Plasmanta: 100-118 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian: 220-259 (60.9 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tomohawk Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 280-330 (93.6 - 110.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

s/o to Animus Majulous for making me aware of the new power Tomohawk has now.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion

Creative and Underrated: Groundium Z Syclant

Syclant @ Groundium Z
Ability: Mountaineer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn
- Earth Power

I would say this set is both creative and criminally underrated. I know Drapionswing has used it, but beside him, I have seen no use of this. Ice + Bug Coverage hits every type for at least neutral damage beside Steel. This is where Groundium Z Earth Power comes in, or 175 Base Power Tectonic Rage. This allows it to do major damage to common checks such as Magearna, Heatran, Jirachi, and others. While Z Focus Blast is an option, I prefer Z Earth Power because regular Earth Power doesn't miss, and it allows Syclant to hit Magearna and Jirachi, in exchange for Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, this does not help against Celesteela.

Tail Glow + Tectonic Rage also has a chance to OHKO Tapu Fini from full if thats your style.

252 SpA Syclant Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 308-364 (102.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Syclant Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 340-404 (88 - 104.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO [Tectonic Rage assures the OHKO]
252 SpA Syclant Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Jirachi: 262-310 (64.8 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery [Earth Power into Tectonic Rage kills]

Sample Game - If I didn't have Groundium Z Earth Power, I would have definitely lost this game.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader

Aurumoth @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Overheat / Hydro Pump

This Aurumoth set is really great on Aurora Veil teams. With Aurora Veil up, Aurumoth can now tank many neutral special hits and some of the most powerful physical attacks in the metagame. Because bringing Aurumoth down below 25% becomes much easier, Tail Glow + Weak Armor is much easier to use. Pivoting in against Choice Band Zygarde's Thousand Arrows, Landorus-T's Earthquake, Mega Medicham's Fake Out, or other physical moves allows Aurumoth to hit +2. From there, you can set up with Tail Glow or simply use one of Aurumoth's many coverage moves. Psyshock is to hit Chansey hard, so that setting up against it isn't a waste of time. Even if you can't get the Weak Armor boost off, you can still abuse Tail Glow as a wallbreaker.

A Modest nature can be used for more power, but I prefer to outspeed Timid non-Scarf Landorus-T. You could also use Sitrus Berry but Iapapa crushes you opponent's soul more easily. Overheat is the best so that you can chunk Magearna down fast and have a very high BP move, but Hydro Pump prevents Heatran from walling you. Overall, it's a fairly risky set that brings high reward if you get to +3 / +2, but it's a risky mon amiright?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-636302868 Ok I was dumb vs. Tapu Bulu, but we see here how it can be easy to activate Iapapa and sweep. Just don't use Overheat when Ice Beam works lol

Will paste more replays, but old replays aren't working for me rn...

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Sorry for the double post, but because it's been over a month since the last time there's been a post, I think it's ok. Here's a set I've been thoroughly enjoying on a Trick Room team. I believe RSQ, Kyubics, and I were working on a team for CAPTT and we made a prototype of this set, but here I have it much more fleshed out. Without further ado...

Creative / Underrated

Substitute + Bulk Up Revenankh

Revenankh @ Fist Plate
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Shadow Claw
- Drain Punch
This set is pretty straightforward, but it works amazingly on Trick Room teams as a late game cleaner. Substitute lets you take advantage of predicted switches, avoid Leech Seed and status ailments from Celesteela or Cyclohm and weak attacks like Lava Plume from Mollux and Pyroak. Behind it, Bulk Up is easier to set up, and after enough boosts, physical hits like Celesteela's Heavy Slam or SubCoil Zygarde's Thousand Arrows don't break the Substitute. Shadow Claw is the best move I've found to use as a secondary move, and I've included it in the 3rd slot so you don't mix up Bulk Up and Drain Punch in the heat of the moment. It hits Tapu Lele on the switch-in, most importantly, as well as Drain Punch resists like Aurumoth, Kitsunoh, Marowak-A, etc. I've tried Power Whip for more raw power (especially so under Grassy Terrain), but the coverage isn't as good. Sometimes I wish I had Rock Slide for Mega Pinsir, but I haven't tried that. However, Triage Drain Punch is what makes this set good. Fist Plate boosts Drain Punch's power to basically 90 BP, and when it's +3 priority and is draining, you're looking at an attack that's much better than Extreme Speed, so let that sink in. Fist Plate is used over Life Orb because there isn't the pesky recoil damage. EVs max out overall bulk, fire power, and allows Revenankh to creep opposing 0 Speed Revenankh outside of Trick Room.

Ideally, this is how you want your Revenankh to be in for a successful sweep. You'll want Trick Room to be up if you're facing a faster team or down if you're facing Celesteela, Ferrothorn, or other slow mons. Plan many turns in advance so you aren't in the wrong position, but bottomline: you want to move before your opponent. From there, use Substitute when you know it won't be immediately broken, then use Bulk Up to boost your attack. When Trick Room goes down or you've accumulated enough boosts, if there's still a Ghost-type or a Psychic-type on the opposing team, you'll want a Substitute up. By the time you should be ready for a Revenankh sweep, there should be only one left, but that's why Shadow Claw is helpful. As they break the Substitute, you'll Shadow Claw them, and then you're free to spam boosted Triage Drain Punch. It sounds complex, but when you're in the end-game of a Trick Room team, it can be easy to see how to play with a healthy Revenankh to achieve this sort of sweep. If that all went over your head, here's the basic premise: boost under Trick Room when you're "fast," have a Substitute up to block Leech Seed and counter Ghost- and Psychic-types from stopping your sweep, and then spam Triage Drain Punch outside of Trick Room because you have +3 priority.

If you're thinking, "damn, this needs a lot of support..." Well, you're right. This set can't 1v1 teams on its own easily because it usually can't boost enough to muscle a team of healthy checks. SubBU Revenankh requires heavy wallbreakers to punch holes into the opposing team, ways to override Psychic Terrain, and ways to crack open Unaware users + Haze Tomohawk - then it can clean up well. Luckily, Trick Room teams provide all of these! Mega Mawile and Mega Camerupt and perfect in cracking open Unaware users like Arghonaut and Clefable and Haze Tomohawk, who would otherwise ignore its boosts. Tapu Bulu's Grassy Surge provides Revenankh with both passive healing and makes Lele want to swap into Revenankh more. As it threatens to use Drain Punch, Revenankh can use Substitute for safety or just hit it with Shadow Claw on the switch. Finally, other Trick Room abusers like Magearna, Marowak-A, and Crawdaunt can generally punch holes into the opposing team, which makes Revenankh's job easier. Basically, this set works best with Trick Room because Trick Room gives it the "speed" to set up, and the usual Trick Room mons already give this guy so much support. Revenankh in turn slackens the pressure to have Trick Room turned on at all times, as it can sometimes sweep with just Drain Punch and a boost or just fire off a Drain Punch to finish off a weakened Volkraken, while also not being deadweight during Trick Room turns, like other cleaners such as Rock Polish Landorus-T. It also gives Trick Room teams some much appreciated priority, as well as a check to Ash-Greninja, Syclant and Volkraken, all of which give Trick Room teams big headaches (particularly Trick Room setters).

I haven't tried using this set outside of Trick Room. It seems like it'd have a harder time setting up, and you'd probably need to invest a lot into Speed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were still effective.

The following replays showcase Revenankh's flexibility on Trick Room teams: not only being able to sweep, but also having insane priority and hitting hard without sacrificing bulk.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-648662053
This was the first time I had played Trick Room in a long while, but it was the first time I was also testing out SubBU Revenankh. On Turn 13, Revenankh gets chipped down by Kerfluffle. I'd like to say was a calculated move so that Kerfluffle would be vulnerable late game if I could pull off the sweep, which it did...I was just extremely hopeful. On Turn 18, Revenankh gets a Drain Punch off on Kyurem-B, and although it was a roll in my favor, that's exactly why you need Fist Plate. It buffs up your damage output considerably without too many drawbacks. Finally, we see Substitute being extremely useful in the endgame when Revenankh is able to set up one against Celesteela on Turn 24 and sweep the rest of the weakened team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-648673364
Again, in this battle, Revenankh is able to set up against the remaining Steel-types and sweep. Not the most impressive battle or use of Revenankh, but Substitute is there to make life easier against Leech Seed shenanigans.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-649571311
Just another replay of end-game Steel-types getting set up on.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-651884605
Less about SubBU, more about nice STAB combination, nailing Syclant, functioning both inside and outside TR, and cleaning up late game. Max Atk Fist Plate Adamant FTW.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-652334445
On Turn 1, it lures out Tapu Lele trying to stop its Drain Punch and OHKOes with Shadow Claw. On Turn 8 it smacks Volkraken in the face with Drain Punch to finish it off, which otherwise would have given the team a lot of trouble. From Turn 13 on, Revenankh could have definitely finished off the last parts of that team, but I went to Magearna instead for some reason. Mega Lopunny and Colossoil get out-priority'ed (aside from Fake Out), and we know by now what happens to Ferrothorn with SubBU.

Here is a set I believe is long overdue (did I use this word correctly?) for the recognition it should receive in this thread.

Tomohawk @ Coba Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Air Slash/Hurricane
- Roost
- Haze/Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock

Coba Berry Tomohawk has been a recently rising trend in CAP - especially during the era of CAPTT 3 - as it is notable for bypassing the methods meant to lure Tomohawk, primarily Flyinium Z on Lando-T, Salamence, and Gyarados. Essentially, one trades the one time use of Coba Berry for the opponent’s one time use of Supersonic Skystrike on these mons. Afterwards, Tomohawk can easily utilize Prankster Roost to alternate between Roost and Air Slash/Hurricane should one’s opponent insist on using Flying stab to kill Tomohawk. A drawback of this is that a player needs to have Tomohawk above 60%-ish to live Lando-T’s Supersonic Skystrike, but given how Tomohawk has Prankster Roost, this is not hard if said player does not battle recklessly. Therefore, with a constantly healthy Tomohawk, it is able to counter Lando-T (without Knock Off), DD Salamence & DD Gyarados effectively, AND remove rocks from Lando-T, a role that is exclusive previously only to Zapdos. However, you might say, “What if these mons just use a base move of Fly and burn the Coba Berry?”. Well, they have given you momentum to switch into a Flying resist, in which you can double back into Tomohawk if need be. With Coba Berry, Tomohawk can revive its role as a defensive behemoth to physically-attacking mons which rely on abstract means of beating it.

This isn’t its main purpose, but Coba Berry also helps Tomohawk 1v1 M-Pinsir and opposing weakened Tomohawk (although it probably won’t kill either unless you have Hurricane and/or they are chipped down a bit).

Moveset is variable, as Tomohawk has tons of good options to choose from (My personal favorite is one with Rapid Spin since it can spin on Lando-T). Max defense and HP is needed to take as minimal damage possible from Supersonic Skystrike.

Btw if you’re thinking “Why not just use Zapdos?”, Coba Tomohawk walls Colossoil (even if it’s Coba is Knocked Off), which Zapdos can’t do, and Tomohawk in general has more utility.

S/o to Heaven Jay, who I believe is the first one to invent this set.

Edit: going to find replays showcasing coba tomo, but for now I’m just going to assume that the people keeping up with captt and the cap meta as of recently will see that this set can work, and adding sprites when I get home

Last edited:
Here is a set I believe is long overdue (did I use this word correctly?) for the recognition it should receive in this thread.

Tomohawk @ Coba Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Air Slash/Hurricane
- Roost
- Haze/Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock

Coba Berry Tomohawk has been a recently rising trend in CAP - especially during the era of CAPTT 3 - as it is notable for bypassing the methods meant to lure Tomohawk, primarily Flyinium Z on Lando-T, Salamence, and Gyarados. Essentially, one trades the one time use of Coba Berry for the opponent’s one time use of Supersonic Skystrike on these mons. Afterwards, Tomohawk can easily utilize Prankster Roost to alternate between Roost and Air Slash/Hurricane should one’s opponent insist on using Flying stab to kill Tomohawk. A drawback of this is that a player needs to have Tomohawk above 60%-ish to live Lando-T’s Supersonic Skystrike, but given how Tomohawk has Prankster Roost, this is not hard if said player does not battle recklessly. Therefore, with a constantly healthy Tomohawk, it is able to counter Lando-T (without Knock Off), DD Salamence & DD Gyarados effectively, AND remove rocks from Lando-T, a role that is exclusive previously only to Zapdos. However, you might say, “What if these mons just use a base move of Fly and burn the Coba Berry?”. Well, they have given you momentum to switch into a Flying resist, in which you can double back into Tomohawk if need be. With Coba Berry, Tomohawk can revive its role as a defensive behemoth to physically-attacking mons which rely on abstract means of beating it.

This isn’t its main purpose, but Coba Berry also helps Tomohawk 1v1 M-Pinsir and opposing weakened Tomohawk (although it probably won’t kill either unless you have Hurricane and/or they are chipped down a bit).

Moveset is variable, as Tomohawk has tons of good options to choose from (My personal favorite is one with Rapid Spin since it can spin on Lando-T). Max defense and HP is needed to take as minimal damage possible from Supersonic Skystrike.

Btw if you’re thinking “Why not just use Zapdos?”, Coba Tomohawk walls Colossoil (even if it’s Coba is Knocked Off), which Zapdos can’t do, and Tomohawk in general has more utility.

S/o to Heaven Jay, who I believe is the first one to invent this set.

Edit: going to find replays showcasing coba tomo, but for now I’m just going to assume that the people keeping up with captt and the cap meta as of recently will see that this set can work, and adding sprites when I get home
I feel like with coba berry, u have to run so haze is a must. The main point of coba berry is to counter mence, lando, and gyara. Otherwise u would lose to them without haze.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)