Project Ultra SM Break This Team - WK 48 SKEs tail glow manaphy Rain (Voting)

cdbk

Banned deucer.
Volcarona. Why take the risk of being revenge killed when you can set up on almost everything there?

Voting is closed im setting up the new team now. I apologise for the delay, Site server change over caught me well off guard. Congrats to Akumeoy for winning again this week with his Volcarona nomination. I'm gonna need to update the hall of fame again.

Voting;

This Week I figured I would borrow a bulky offence team from Team showcase made by Zuchtrest . Been having alot of fun with this recently as its easy to learn and has 2 of my 4 favourite mons in it (I'll let you guys guess). But anyway its a really good team so lets see if you guys can break it.

Sets
Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Maggi Boy (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Link to original post

Explanation: Pretty much Typical Lopunny Spike stack team but with a few nice twists including a Z-calm mind Tapu lele that makes things melt. Anyway the team centers around lopunny and Tapu lele with there abilities to force switch's and rack up hazard damage until one or the other can clean up.
Lopunny opts for Fake out + ice punch to lead and lure while Lele use's Calm mind Psychium Z to wreck stuff. From There Duel hazards Ferro lays down hazards for the former to capatilize while toxapex rounds out the hazard stack and with ferro acts as a backbone for team. 4 Attacks scarf Lando is the revenge killer and makes a nice way of luring out opposing grounds. Tyraniter rounds out the team trapping the likes of Tapu lele and other psychics who would otherwise threaten the core strategy and handle stuff like Blace.

Basically take Hits where needed, Set up hazards and break mons with the core. Zuchtrest could probably explain it better but yeah.

Anyway that is the Team. Goodluck this week, You can post either single pokemon or a core of 2 to break this team

ayy imma try my hand at one of these

Magearna @
Shuca Berry + Tapu Koko @
Electrium Z

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
- U-turn

SG Magearna (even Modest) outspeeds everything on that team after a Shift Gear, can set up on Landorus due to it's Shuca Berry, and instantly threatens out 5 out of the six mons on that team with it's coverage moves. Tapu Lele generally doesn't want to come in on Magearna due to it's typing and the fact that Flash Cannon Magearna seems to be more prevalent on the ladder than ever before.
252+ SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 296-350 (109.2 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar: 572-676 (167.7 - 198.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 220-260 (62.5 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 520-612 (163 - 191.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Magearna Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Toxapex: 140-166 (46 - 54.6%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO

While the Thunderbolt calcs seem, for lack of a better word, extremely uninspiring against Toxapex (and I didn't even include one for Lele since it's even more pathetic), that's where Tapu Koko comes in. Koko provides a couple things for Magearna - U-Turn support to bring it in vs threats like Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, Electric Terrain support so that Magearna's Thunderbolt actually does damage vs Toxapex, and a nice physical z-move nuke that erases Lele from existence. Not to mention, Koko also resets Lele's Psychic Terrain, which essentially cuts Lele's primary damage source by a third (or less, or more? I'm not too sure).
252+ SpA Magearna Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 210-248 (69 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 474-560 (155.9 - 184.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar in Electric Terrain: 363-427 (102.8 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 333-393 (113.6 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The biggest problem with the core is that it relies on hitting Focus Blasts to break through Ferrothorn. An Earthquake switch-in (Landorus-T, for example) would be nice to use alongside this core, since after all they're both weak to Ground (although the Shuca Berry somewhat nullifies that). Landorus-T also provides U-Turn support to get Koko and Magearna in safely.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Xurkitree is not that it is the most innovative in use, but I think that this mon can break that team but it depends a lot on z move. The strategy would be entering Pex or Ferro, which are the most passive and clean. Then with increase of speed + Tail Glow with stab and Eball of cover it can be enough to open gaps. But the process is complex. In short, it does not have more diversity.
I do not think Xurkitree does anything against this team at all. In fact, I do not think Xurkitree does much in any games -- it seems much better on paper than it is in practice, where it is not even viable. Given your current set, Xurkitree does not get one kill against this team and if it does, then it is prevented from getting any more due to the presence of Scarf Landorus-T to revenge kill it. Xurkitree's two main flaws are the fact that it is slow and the fact that it is frail and both of these come to hurt it here seeing as it is not fast enough to outrun Scarf Landorus-T when it is at +1 and it gets 2HKOd by Ferrothorn's Power Whip, meaning it loses 1v1 to Ferrothorn even if you get a Tail Glow up on the switch. Xurkitree's match-up against this team is by no means good and Xurkitree should not be a Pokemon that should get much discussion at all in the Overused subforum, I feel. Below, I will show some calcs that back my argument as to why Xurkitree does a poor job in this match-up.

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 174-204 (49.4 - 57.9%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 162-192 (52.5 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ferrothorn will likely Leech Seed the first turn letting it take two and the combination of Sand, Entry Hazards, Leech Seed, and the following Power Whip will either make Xurkitree useless for the remainder of the game or simply kill it (not to mention that if they Power Whip, then you have a decent chance of straight up losing without killing Ferrothorn and even if you can manage to defeat Ferrothorn with minimal health left, you have no free turn to Hypnosis and you get revenge killed by Tapu Lele as well as the aforementioned Landorus-T.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 470-554 (152.5 - 179.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Just stating the obvious, but yea the revenge kill is very easy and clear for Landorus-T, making Xurkitree an ineffective breaker when combined with the fact that it often fails to get 1 kill to begin with. Oh and it can only set up on Toxapex, which can still Haze or chip you, while every other Pokemon threatens and defeats Xurkitree.

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

Gay moth is extremely threatening for this team since this team's Volc counterplay is predicated entirely on hoping it does not have the moves to muscle past Tyranitar (Buzz) and Toxapex (Psychic). Sets up on Ferro or Lele (without a CM boost) and runs through the team, only needing a small amount of chip alongside Stealth Rock damage to OHKO Lele at +1. Calcs below:
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 312-368 (115.1 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 456-536 (129.1 - 151.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 844-996 (239.7 - 282.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 24 HP / 0- SpD Landorus-Therian: 372-438 (114.4 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Toxapex: 378-446 (124.3 - 146.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 246-291 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even though this is a somewhat well-known core, against this team, both mons can destroy the team on their own and don't need each other's support.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
-High Jump Kick
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Bullet Punch/Fake Out

If predicted correctly, this pokemon can get a kill every time it comes in. Landorus dies to ice punch and takes a ton from hjk or zen, pex can barely take zen, ttar lopunny and ferrothorn get sent packing, and even though lele "walls it's coverage", 75 base defense is not doing it any favors. This team only has 2 forms of speed control neither of which can ohko medicham. (not that it's wise to stay in on landorus or lopunny and take 70-90%). A well played voltturn team with medicham can easily break through if medicham is played well. Not to mention it's free to run adamant since Tapu Lele is modest.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs/Psychium Z/Mind Plate
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Focus Blast
- Psyshock/Thunderbolt/Calm Mind/Taunt

Basically any Tapu Lele (Besides SubCM dual stab or CM electrium dual stab) set can break through this team in some way. The designated Tapu Lele switchin is ferrothorn which doesn't like getting 2hkoed by HP fire or Focus blast or even taking 30-40% from specs psychic moves. Tyranitar, with 48 HP EV's in sand takes 58 minimum from scarf moonblast and 98 minimum from focus miss. Tapu Lele can't take 2 moonblasts, gets 2hkoed by psyshock after rocks and can't take specs psychics. The only form of revenge killing scarf is trapping it with tyranitar while locked into a psychic move. However, run with medicham, it will need to claim a kill or be predicted to get pursuit trapped by tyranitar and medicham can come in immediately afterward and get a kill. Not to mention it outspeeds the entire team. Not to mention, this team gets reverse 6-0ed by its own lele since +1 modest moonblast ohkoes ttar after rocks. Although non scarf can be revenge killed by lando and lopunny.

Attachments

Last edited:
reserving CM Keldeo

Keldeo @ Waterium Z / Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt / Substitute
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Secret Sword

Keldeo's lethal dual stab rips this team a new one by hitting everything super effectively bar Lele (which it can ohko with a +0 hydro vortex) and Toxapex (which this Keldeo set uses as setup fodder). It finds opportunities to set up on Ttar or threaten Lando-T out, and the combination of calm mind + taunt/substitute shuts down Pex. The only counterplay the team has is revenge killing with Lopunny or scarf Lando-T, but this is usually after the glue core is broken through and Keldeo could still potentially be behind a sub.

Last edited:

Tokyo Sonata

formerly Toanyone
I do not think Xurkitree does anything against this team at all. In fact, I do not think Xurkitree does much in any games -- it seems much better on paper than it is in practice, where it is not even viable. Given your current set, Xurkitree does not get one kill against this team and if it does, then it is prevented from getting any more due to the presence of Scarf Landorus-T to revenge kill it. Xurkitree's two main flaws are the fact that it is slow and the fact that it is frail and both of these come to hurt it here seeing as it is not fast enough to outrun Scarf Landorus-T when it is at +1 and it gets 2HKOd by Ferrothorn's Power Whip, meaning it loses 1v1 to Ferrothorn even if you get a Tail Glow up on the switch. Xurkitree's match-up against this team is by no means good and Xurkitree should not be a Pokemon that should get much discussion at all in the Overused subforum, I feel. Below, I will show some calcs that back my argument as to why Xurkitree does a poor job in this match-up.

+3 252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 174-204 (49.4 - 57.9%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 162-192 (52.5 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ferrothorn will likely Leech Seed the first turn letting it take two and the combination of Sand, Entry Hazards, Leech Seed, and the following Power Whip will either make Xurkitree useless for the remainder of the game or simply kill it (not to mention that if they Power Whip, then you have a decent chance of straight up losing without killing Ferrothorn and even if you can manage to defeat Ferrothorn with minimal health left, you have no free turn to Hypnosis and you get revenge killed by Tapu Lele as well as the aforementioned Landorus-T.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 470-554 (152.5 - 179.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Just stating the obvious, but yea the revenge kill is very easy and clear for Landorus-T, making Xurkitree an ineffective breaker when combined with the fact that it often fails to get 1 kill to begin with. Oh and it can only set up on Toxapex, which can still Haze or chip you, while every other Pokemon threatens and defeats Xurkitree.
I had not noticed the scarf lando. I think it reaches 454 so you're right. Well, I think it's better now. Thanks for correcting.

Reserving DragoniumZ Zygarde

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire

Im adding Specs Koko into this core, as I wasnt sure if I could just say the team can weaken Ferrothorn for Zygarde, so adding this to weaken Ferrothorn for Zygarde easily enough, and with its 3 coverage moves, it can at least 2hko the entire opposing team, while it can quickly pick up momentum for your team. Just want to note, the main focus is Zygarde, and it doesnt specifically need Koko to beat the team, just something to lure/weaken/trap Ferrothorn, such as Natures Madness from any Tapu, Specs Psychic from Lele or any other Mon that forces in Ferrothorn and weakens.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega in Electric Terrain: 274-324 (101.1 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 178-211 (50.4 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 244-288 (69.3 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in Electric Terrain: 102-120 (28.9 - 34%) -- 98.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 24 HP / 0- SpD Landorus-Therian: 211-250 (64.9 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 344-408 (113.1 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 159-187 (54.4 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele in Electric Terrain: 237-280 (81.1 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele in Electric Terrain: 237-280 (81.1 - 95.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
I didnt know you could (hide] in a (hide], but it looks like you can (hide] in a (hide] in a (hide]
(it can possibly go further, but i cba at this point

Description:
Zygarde can easily clean through the team, due to there being no 1k arrows resist + with its bulk and resists, finding many opportunity to set up and sweep. With oppotunities to set up on Lando locked into Stone Edge or even Earthquake if M.Lopunny as been removed, and then Ohko it after rocks, or on a forced Ttar switch / locked into any move but crunch, a forced Toxapex switch and a weakened Ferrothorn, making potentially 4/6 members of the team, Zygarde can become a scary threat. Also when paired with Koko, Ferrothorn goes down to +2 after 2 Tbolts, down to +1 after an Hp Fire, Lando goes down to Neutral Espeed after rocks and a Dazzling Gleam from Koko and the rest put in range from rocks alone, Zygarde does little to threaten so much. However, Zygarde can stuggle to find set up oppotunity of the opponent plays smart, keeping Ferrothorn healthy and spamming Crunch and U-Turn with Lando, but this in-turn helps Koko instead.
+1 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 213-252 (78.5 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 372-440 (105.3 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 135-160 (38.3 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 180-213 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Zygarde Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 310-366 (95.3 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 88-104 (27 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+1 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Toxapex: 242-288 (79.6 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 255-301 (90.7 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
SD Tapu Bulu

787-Tapu-Bulu.png

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

After a Swords Dance, Tapu Bulu OHKOs everything on the team. It finds easy set-up opportunities on predicted switches, or on Ferrothorn/Landorus. The hazard damage this team relies on is negated by grassy terrain + Horn Leech, and Bulu threatens both the setters. The only issue Bulu has is Tapu Lele, which replaces grassy terrain with it's own, then outspeeds and OHKO with Shattered Psyche. It can't switch in however. A good teammate would be Heatran, who completely walls Lele, kills it with Flash Cannon, and sets Stealth Rock to make it easier for Bulu to kill everything.

Last edited:
Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

So I actually played with this team, probably about 30 games or so. Zero switch ins to Kartana, only thing that can tank leaf blade is setup bait (Ferrothorn). Kartana also defogs pretty easily, which makes it an effective counter to hazard spam. Of course Kartana can be revenge killed by Landorus or Lopunny, but it gets a kill almost every time it comes in. Just add something that can switch into Lopunny and then it's pretty much over. It's kind of a situation where if you have SD Kartana and aren't horrifically weak to scarf Landorus or Lopunny and don't misplay you will win. While Bulu is dangerous in the same way, Kartana has defog to get around hazard stacking, and also outspeeds Lele which can revenge kill Bulu. Also, Kartana is immune to toxic spikes, which could be a potential hazard to Bulu.

Alot of good submissions this week. Very happy with the participation and I like that the team can be broken down. Last chance to post cores or mons As I will be setting up voting tommorow. Remember to explain things and have fun. Anybody who wants to test can feel free to challange me tommorow

OK Time for nominations is over. Lets vote on a winner.

Nominations:
Salac Berry Manaphy
Magerna + Tapu Koko
Z Psychic Volcarona
Medicham + Tapu Lele
Keldeo
Zygarde
Tapu Bulu
Kartana

Everyone can Vote Twice but no Voting for your own Nomination:. Goodluck

PS: Toanyone Thank you for your nomination but I cant accept Xuritree. It simply isn't viable in OU and even struggles in casual play and while I do sometime's accept unranked nominations I'm just not convinced of its effectiveness. I'll allow Manaphy as 3 Attacks mana does threaten much of the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)