Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

The fact that Mega Tyranitar has so much natural bulk, in conjunction with Sand Storm making it insane on the special end, lets it set up much more than any of the alternatives. It has a pretty much endless movepool, letting it potentially run both STAB moves, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, and Earthquake depending on what you feel is best on your team. It does indeed need things to be weakened to straight up sweep, but the same can be said for just about every win condition -- Knock Off, Stealth Rock, Sand stream itself, etc. all play into this, so yea while you will have to play the game out, Mega Tyranitar is a fine end-game win condition and while it does not stand out a ton, it is viable and there is a decent amount of appeal to use it.

Also, I do not see how things you mentioned such as lack of PP on Stone Edge or super effective coverage on Crunch when you don't truly need either of these a ton of the time, especially given the nature of any sweeper and the coverage Tyranitar has. I think that saying Gyarados, Dragonite, and Salamence have less counterplay is pretty ridiculous, by the way, as they are checked well by the same things you mentioned above, which barely even check Mega Tyranitar, and other Pokemon. Zard-X is pretty poor right now due to Stealth Rock being so annoying and it requiring far more direct support than Mega Tyranitar. Finally, Mega Gyarados is simply not as good a win condition against offensive teams as most scarf users still RK it at +1 and it lacks the bulk of Mega Tyranitar while it no longer needs to really break through stall w/ Mold Breaker Dragon Dance as stall has taken a big hit w/ the banning of Arena Trap. All in all, Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar is a very passable set and MTar is one of the best DDers in the tier.
Looks like I have embarassed myself a little bit... also I meant only Zard X has more narrowed counterplay, not every 'mons I have mentioned...

Yeah I did some calcs with Tyranitar bulk and it is quite phenomenal. Anyways thanks for writing semi-essay length response

Hey guys, haven't played since early XY and now I'm back, and want to participate in OU for a bit.

I'm very interested in using Greninja-ash. I've been spectating battles of ELO 1300+ players on Showdown, but haven't managed to see a single match where Greninja-ash was even included on a team, let alone actually successfully transform and sweep in a battle.

Most of the time I see a Greninja on a team, it turns out to be the Protean version. However, the viability rankings have Greninja-protean in freefall, yet Greninja-ash stays A+. I'm wondering how come no one seems to use it? I can see that it's a classic case of Awesome, yet Impractical, but given that it's ranked A+ there must be someone using it. Can someone link me to some replays where it is used?

Hey guys, haven't played since early XY and now I'm back, and want to participate in OU for a bit.

I'm very interested in using Greninja-ash. I've been spectating battles of ELO 1300+ players on Showdown, but haven't managed to see a single match where Greninja-ash was even included on a team, let alone actually successfully transform and sweep in a battle.

Most of the time I see a Greninja on a team, it turns out to be the Protean version. However, the viability rankings have Greninja-protean in freefall, yet Greninja-ash stays A+. I'm wondering how come no one seems to use it? I can see that it's a classic case of Awesome, yet Impractical, but given that it's ranked A+ there must be someone using it. Can someone link me to some replays where it is used?
Probably cause you are watching 1300+, it's not really representative of meta trends at that level. Honestly its extremely frail, and kind of useless until it evolves. Bulky Offence/Balance seems to be the best/most common archetype at the moment, which means a lot of hazards that Greninja isn't a fan of and also the Protean set is far better for setting spikes (in my opinion). Toxapex is everywhere and stops any Ninja variant in its tracks, except Protean with Extrasensory. Scarf Kartana is another answer that has rose in usage significantly, I don't think Knock Off made Kartana that much better, but it certainly rose usage.

There's more reasons I'm sure but I think the reason Ninja isn't used much is pretty much just down to the usage of other Pokemon at the moment. The versatility of Protean frees it up for more roles, which means even though Ash is more viable, it isn't seen as much.

Why can't I find a stats discussion thread?

Back when I last checked (in 2012) there used to be tens, if not hundreds of people anticipating and discussing usage stats, discussing the surprises and trends in the data.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
What are some good balls to catch / breed a pokemon in? I've seen spitbacks / fully trained mons in love balls, dream balls, luxury balls, moon balls, dream balls, beast balls etc. I can understand catching a non-ultra beast in a beast ball is kinda cool, but can someone mention and justify some balls being ''cooler'' or ''more rare'' to catch pokemon than the others? Thanks in advance!
This is the OU forum so I doubt there's anyone here who can give you a proper answer, maybe try asking in the Orange Islands version of this thread (Orange Islands is the ingame subforum btw)

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
i once took a really long brake from PS
when i came back i realized Scrafty was in NU
can some1 remind me why?
While this isn't really a question for OU I can answer that. Pretty much the Pokemon doesn't perform well enough in OU UU or RU to get enough usage. The reason Scrafty is not PU is because it does get enough usage on the NU ladder to be there.

How much speed do mew typically run? Are they still trying to creep pre-dance zygarde?

Also, does anyone have ideas for Landorus lures that aren't dragonium chomp?

How much speed do mew typically run? Are they still trying to creep pre-dance zygarde?

Also, does anyone have ideas for Landorus lures that aren't dragonium chomp?
For lando lures, theres ice beam ttar, ice punch mawile, and dragonium zygarde does a pretty good job. Theres more, but thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

How much speed do mew typically run?
Timid:240/0/156/0/0/112 15.828%
Timid:252/0/72/0/0/184 3.740%

Timid:244/0/40/0/0/224 3.621%
Timid:0/0/0/252/4/252 3.313%
Timid:248/0/76/0/0/184 2.599%
Timid:248/0/148/0/0/112 2.247%

The most popular spread rn is 240hp 156def 112spe timid nature
I'd also recommend 252hp 72def 184spe timid nature

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Does psychic terrain alakazam have any viable potential or is it just a blatantly worse lele?
Terrains are pretty mediocre as moves in general so I wouldn't advice using them on any mon, let alone a niche mon like Alakazam, if you want Terrain support for a mon just pair it with a Tapu that can summon it like Tapu Lele.

Could someone explain the tiering philosophy on say Genesect drive forms vs Silvally forms? I’m a little confused. Is a “form” exclusively a stat change/type change? Are the silvally forms theoretically separately tiered, and if so, why not the Genesect forms? (I’m aware all the silvallys are PU)

Could someone explain the tiering philosophy on say Genesect drive forms vs Silvally forms? I’m a little confused. Is a “form” exclusively a stat change/type change? Are the silvally forms theoretically separately tiered, and if so, why not the Genesect forms? (I’m aware all the silvallys are PU)
I'm fairly certain that they would be tiered differently, mainly because that's how we do it with hoopa, rotoms and Alolan forms, but those are pre-set forms and not influenced by item like the examples you listed. If there ever was something like silvally where it changes forms by item and the forms were different enough for different tiers, I imagine some of the forms would be banned in a tier and others wouldn't. The best example I can think of is the unofficial Uber BL, where you can use some bad Arceus forms but the good ones like ground and fairy are banned.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
As far as I can tell, only stat or type changes count as different enough to be a separate form, while having one different move or ability generally is now. This is probably because stats and typing are the most defining parts of a mon and a different ability or move is pretty much no different then running a different set of the same mon (unaware vs magic guard clef to give an example). I hope this answers your question

Silvally forms are fundamentally different Pokemon due to the differences in typing; it affects not only the type of Multi-Attack but their defensive and offensive utility, so they have very different viabilities. For instance, some forms like Water and Steel have started to gain popularity in NU as Defoggers, whereas most other forms still aren’t really being used even in PU.

Genesect doesn’t have forms, it just changes type for one move, so it’s still essentially the same Pokemon just with varying coverage options that it can’t use all at once. We don’t rank Pokemon separately depending on which Hidden Power type they choose; similarly, the differing Genesect Drives aren’t distinct enough to rank separately (not to mention it’s moot, they’d probably all be unranked anyway since Specs and Scarf are generally superior item choices).

As far as I can tell, only stat or type changes count as different enough to be a separate form, while having one different move or ability generally is now. This is probably because stats and typing are the most defining parts of a mon and a different ability or move is pretty much no different then running a different set of the same mon (unaware vs magic guard clef to give an example). I hope this answers your question
One thing to note is that non-item-based form changes that can take place in the midst of battle generally are ranked together as one Pokemon even if they result in dramatic stat changes (eg Meloetta and Aegislash).

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Silvally forms are fundamentally different Pokemon due to the differences in typing; it affects not only the type of Multi-Attack but their defensive and offensive utility, so they have very different viabilities. For instance, some forms like Water and Steel have started to gain popularity in NU as Defoggers, whereas most other forms still aren’t really being used even in PU.

Genesect doesn’t have forms, it just changes type for one move, so it’s still essentially the same Pokemon just with varying coverage options that it can’t use all at once. We don’t rank Pokemon separately depending on which Hidden Power type they choose; similarly, the differing Genesect Drives aren’t distinct enough to rank separately (not to mention it’s moot, they’d probably all be unranked anyway since Specs and Scarf are generally superior item choices).

One thing to note is that non-item-based form changes that can take place in the midst of battle generally are ranked together as one Pokemon even if they result in dramatic stat changes (eg Meloetta and Aegislash).
Yeah my b. Should have clarified I meant outside of battle form changes. The only in-battle form changes that are tiered separate are megas, Ash greninja, and Zygarde Complete (?). The reason being that these form changes are permanent so it’s as if you’re using a different mon entirely.

Thanks for explaining, I was basically asking in a roundabout way if say, Genesect Burn could ever be OU because you know 1/4 of its moveset and item but now I understand its not a "true" form.

How do you read the speed tier charts?
Actual stat / (insert pokemon name here) / Base Speed / Speed boosting/neutral/lowering nature / EVs / Boosts

For example:
876 / Alakazam (Mega) / 150 / +Spe / 252 / +2

means that Alakazam (Mega), who has a base speed of 150, reaches 876 speed with a speed-boosting nature, max speed investment and a +2 speed buff (usually by tracing Swift Swim while it's raining).

I hope it helps!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know how Pokemon are decided to be given a buff/nerf at the beginning of a generation? For example, Mantine's HP going from 65>85 and Gengar given Cursed Body this gen.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know how Pokemon are decided to be given a buff/nerf at the beginning of a generation? For example, Mantine's HP going from 65>85 and Gengar given Cursed Body this gen.
Welcome to Smogon! Honestly, your guess is as good as ours--we're not affiliated with Nintendo or GameFreak, and whoever handles stat distribution and abilities over there rarely thinks with the singles competitive scene in mind. We just play the hand we're dealt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)