Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

In what set would Knock Off be best for Kartana? SD with STAB? SubSD? Scarf, dropping Defog maybe?
It's really up to your preference and what you're building around it, in my opinion SD would be best, getting locked into Knock Off can be annoying against mons that have Z Moves and Mega Stones, and can interrupt your sweep with the bad base power and no STAB. Fightinium Z is what I have had most success with, getting rid of those Steel types is so helpful without relying on team members and the nuke for Beast Boost can help get a sweep going, especially after Swords Dance. Grassium Z could work if you really want Smart Strike in that last slot.

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
In what set would Knock Off be best for Kartana? SD with STAB? SubSD? Scarf, dropping Defog maybe?
Adding onto the above post, I've seen Knock Off used on Scarf sets because it's relatively spammable early-game to remove items and can cripple some of its answers like Celesteela to ease a late-game clean or support its teammates

Are there any resources for advice with building trick room teams?

I don't mind if it's out-dated just so I have a little direction, I'm looking to be creative with this, just what sort of roles should be included, what to look for in good abusers (other than slow speed) and things like should you have 2 or 3 fast mons for backup etc

Last edited:
Suggested nature for regular old Necrozma? I noticed that it got a nice boon of some solid attacks thanks to move tutors that it didn't have the chance for in SuMo.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Suggested nature for regular old Necrozma? I noticed that it got a nice boon of some solid attacks thanks to move tutors that it didn't have the chance for in SuMo.
p2 shared this set with a chat I was in the other day:

Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

With the new tools it has, perhaps it can be a decent win condition on the offensive. However, it is still not tested a ton, so I promote usage of it in order to explore how good it is and perhaps open up the metagame to new, interesting options!

--

Is viability discussion unlocking today?
No, we are dealing with something internally and it will likely unlock sometime later this week or earlier next week. The thread being open would do no good currently seeing how hectic things still are, anyway. Please respect this decision at the time and we will get back to it as soon as it would be possible to do so in a positive fashion -- thank you for understanding!

edit: JK

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Is it possible to have a locked thread where the council explains why Landorus-T will not be suspected/banned?
It's boring seeing everytime people that ask for this and others that explains saying the same things

Is it possible to have a locked thread where the council explains why Landorus-T will not be suspected/banned?
It's boring seeing everytime people that ask for this and others that explains saying the same things
Probably not :/ I don't think in would help anything much either, the people who post those sorts of things typically don't peruse around looking for resources / information either they tend to jump right in more often than not.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Probably not :/ I don't think in would help anything much either, the people who post those sorts of things typically don't peruse around looking for resources / information either they tend to jump right in more often than not.
Yeah, but it can be used as a definitive answer, instead of having multiple users that say multiple things and derail the metagame thread

Bischler

Banned deucer.
Fun fact, I just had a conversation with Finchinator about that tonight, where I requested to open a thread like that, here's a copy paste of his reply:

the proper place to discuss the prospect of suspecting things is the policy review subforum, not the OU subforum. i would prefer if there were no threads in the OU subforum about it because we never have informal suspect discussions there and we are not formally suspecting it atm either

the thing is that i assume you lack access to PR, so i'm not entirely sure what to propose here -- i personally just do not want this to bleed in to the OU subforum

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Fun fact, I just had a conversation with Finchinator about that tonight, where I requested to open a thread like that, here's a copy paste of his reply:

the proper place to discuss the prospect of suspecting things is the policy review subforum, not the OU subforum. i would prefer if there were no threads in the OU subforum about it because we never have informal suspect discussions there and we are not formally suspecting it atm either

the thing is that i assume you lack access to PR, so i'm not entirely sure what to propose here -- i personally just do not want this to bleed in to the OU subforum
He could create one in the policy review, where all the allowed users say their opinions about it, leaving the OU forum free from this type of discussion.
If i remember correctly, single pokemon discussions are not allowed, but this is a particular case, since Landorus-T is the most hated requested pokemon in the OU community for a suspect

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
He could create one in the policy review, where all the allowed users say their opinions about it, leaving the OU forum free from this type of discussion.
If i remember correctly, single pokemon discussions are not allowed, but this is a particular case, since Landorus-T is the most hated requested pokemon in the OU community for a suspect
I could, but I and the remainder of the council do not believe it is broken. If another member with access to that subforum would like to, then they can go on ahead and we will address it accordingly. However, I personally do not intend to make one or get the ball rolling myself.

Is Charizard X still running Flare Blitz? I have seen a couple with Fire Punch, but idk if thats a thing. With the amount of residual damage (weather, spikes, rocks...) i wouldnt be surprise tho.

Bischler

Banned deucer.
Is Charizard X still running Flare Blitz? I have seen a couple with Fire Punch, but idk if thats a thing. With the amount of residual damage (weather, spikes, rocks...) i wouldnt be surprise tho.
I've been running Fire Punch when using memes like the old ORAS SpD Bulky Zard X with willo. Sadly that set is more or less complete ass right now, and I can't see it ever outclassing Flare Blitz on offensive sets. On roost-less sets you don't need/want longevity anyways, and on the 3 attacks roost set you need all the power you can get to make up for the loss of boosts

Is there a way to search the showdown teambuilder for pokemon based on what they resist? I remember somebody did that in the SM creative and underrated sets thread to make a non mega camerupt set to stop magearna and koko, but I can't recall the finer points. Thanks in advance.

Just a few questions, since I'm more or less trying to get an understanding of how to build my team and other stuff.

Do Toxapex and Landorus-T synergize at all? If they're both top tier threats, I'm very interested in using them.

How important is it to carry a mega? It looks like no mega lands on the upper parts of OU. Am I gimping myself by not using one?

Is there any sort of team that'll give me a good grip on the game as a whole? A "shoto" build for the lack of better terms?

Is there any value in breeding an USUM OU team in-game? I'm having trouble finding local stuff, so it doesn't appear worth to me at first glance. I can find GO and TCG like no tomorrow, but...

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Just a few questions, since I'm more or less trying to get an understanding of how to build my team and other stuff.

Do Toxapex and Landorus-T synergize at all? If they're both top tier threats, I'm very interested in using them.

How important is it to carry a mega? It looks like no mega lands on the upper parts of OU. Am I gimping myself by not using one?

Is there any sort of team that'll give me a good grip on the game as a whole? A "shoto" build for the lack of better terms?

Is there any value in breeding an USUM OU team in-game? I'm having trouble finding local stuff, so it doesn't appear worth to me at first glance. I can find GO and TCG like no tomorrow, but...
Landorus-T and Toxapex have good synergy and work quite well together, with Lando acting as an amazing Ground immunity and Toxapex switching into the likes of Ash Greninja, Keldeo, etc. Megas aren't a must on teams since there isn't any dominating Mega atm unlike in ORAS so you can get away with not running one most of the time. This is also the reason why mons like Mega Latios and Tyranitar have risen: They are direct upgrades to their regular forms in some roles (Latios as an All Out Attacker and Tyranitar as a bulky rocks setter) and you can afford to use them when youre not using any other Mega. As for teams, the Sample Teams thread hasn't been updated yet because the Meta is still new but you can probably get away with using a team from there with some adjustments until it is up to date. You can breed and train an ingame OU team if you wanna play on cartbut it's usually more practical to just gen the mons

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Is there a way to search the showdown teambuilder for pokemon based on what they resist? I remember somebody did that in the SM creative and underrated sets thread to make a non mega camerupt set to stop magearna and koko, but I can't recall the finer points. Thanks in advance.
Do /dexsearch resists [type] and you will get what you’re looking for. Do as many as resists [type] as you want to, just separate it by comma. Do it in a room though, it doesn’t work on the teambuilder

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
What happened to get mega latios ranked on vr? Last I checked it was meme tier in oras, but now it's B.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
What happened to get mega latios ranked on vr? Last I checked it was meme tier in oras, but now it's B.
ABR made a team or two with it that got used it in the Snake tournament that was held recently in the Tournaments subform and then people began to recognize it as a viable and effective option. It is able to hurt common checks/counters such as Magearna, Heatran, and Tyranitar with Earthquake while having more bulk than normal Latios. When in need of a lure and a mega slot, it can be a very interesting addition to a team and, therefore, it got ranked and as it gained usage, it went up the VR slowly, but surely.

Latios is quite on a tough spot ATM, as a lot of its answers, namely Heatran, AV Mag and T-Tar are rising now, while the opportunity cost of the Mega slot has decreased quite a lot, then we do not have any highly top tier mega, so people have began to use M-Latios, because it basically is a stronger and bulkier regular Latios that can break through the former's check thanks to the attack raise it wins while mega evolving, allowing him to run earthquake.

Edit: Sniped

I agree. This has been such a metagame defining mon for a long time, and some people feel that a suspect is in order. Since it has not received one, I think the council should clear this up for the sake of future discussion.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Does anyone have examples of decent teams that use Garchomp? I'm really bad at team building and Garchomp seems kinda meh now so I'd appreciate any suggestions.
If you check out the Samples Team thread, there's some teams (although some might be outdated) that feature Garchomp that I'm sure people have used to decent success.

Are there any examples of Bulu sets with Leech Seed working in the current meta? I'd love to have Grassy Terrain + Leech Seed to keep things like TTar and other CB breakers topped off, but I don't know if it's worth using in any scenario over AV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)