Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

From Nintendo's perspective, critical hits are actually an important part to what keeps the game engaging for young audiences, in that no matter what, there's almost always a way out of a bad situation if they believe in their Pokemon enough (critical hit, freeze, flinch, full para...). While there will almost certainly always be some element like this present in Pokemon games, Game Freak has shown interest in maintaining some sort of balance between luck and competitive skill (increasing Will-O-Wisp accuracy after a VGC multi-miss disaster, scaling Critical Hit damage back from 2x to 1.5x, etc). I don't think they'll ever be fully removed from the core games, since the ability for any hit to break past a defensively set-up Pokemon is important for the target audience. Smogon also isn't at liberty to simply say "critical hits are banned," since many people choose to play by Smogon rules on the official games, and removing luck-based elements like Ice s or criti hits to create a more competitive game is generally out of our control. The only time we've done something like that is with Freeze Clause in gen 1, which says that 2 Pokemon can't be frozen at the same time because of how absurdly overpowered freeze is in gen 1 and assisted by the fact that not many people play RBY on cartridge.
Interesting, thanks for the reply. Yeah its clear they want to keep some element of luck, though critical hits and certain status hax are very different. Theres a reason you choose to run twave, or run scald over surf etc. Players can predict and switch accordingly to avoid a burn or paralysis.Critical hits however are unpredictable, and can turn an advantageous position to an instant loss. They also dont take up a moveslot. Id like to see it on gamefreaks side if it ever happens

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Do you guys ever see "critical hits" being removed from the game? Aren't they uncompetitive?
I would like if critical hits were more important for their boost/screen ignoring effect instead of just ruining that moment where you perfectly calculated the damage and are about to make a gamewinning play only to get crit twice.

Knock off or Brutal swing on Mega-Scizor? I have knock off currently but its not super consistent cause theres pretty well a mega and zmove on every team, and the power drop after you've used it once. However, it does start out stronger and have awesome utility. So, which would typically be better?

Knock off or Brutal swing on Mega-Scizor? I have knock off currently but its not super consistent cause theres pretty well a mega and zmove on every team, and the power drop after you've used it once. However, it does start out stronger and have awesome utility. So, which would typically be better?
Knock Off still has more base power at 65 when used against a non-item-holding Pokémon than Brutal Swing, which has a base power of 60. So Knock Off.

Knock Off still has more base power at 65 when used against a non-item-holding Pokémon than Brutal Swing, which has a base power of 60. So Knock Off.
Scizor has Technician, so Brutal Swing actually has 90 base power. sniped

In singles, you should never be using Brutal Swing on Scizor. Thief, on the other hand, is just as strong, and has more PP. So the real question is Knock Off vs Thief. I'd still usually go with Knock Off for its greater utility, but if you really need your Scizor to be able to consistently hit Ghosts and Psychics hard (and without switching in the case of Psychics), Thief is probably the better option.

Knock Off is the best option between these two, no matter what you want to do. Even counting with the ability of Mega Scizor, Knock Off have a extreme useful effect, unlike Brutal Swing, wich was only used on 3DS pre-Bank. Thief is even trashier on Mega Scizor, because it can't benefic with the effect of the move and hits with less damage. Knock Off always.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Knock Off is generally better because the utility of removing the item is always appreciated.
Also, if used at maximum power, it is more powerful then technician brutal swing

how do stall teams beat mawile these days? tpunch wrecks skarmory and toxpox, fire fang wrecks scizor and ferro and skarmory...
Some people have brought fat volcarona or Mega-Venu up to handle mawile, but the fact is that if rock are up, Volc isn't a check anymore, and if mawile has Sword Dance, in can break M-Venu. But, people are now realizing that stall without dug has a lot of difficulties to handle wallbreaker in general, and that it is now really tough to use it because of how common all these wallbreaker are.

can you explain what makes it 'optomized'? (what those 56 evs do)

Yea, you 100% need the 328 Speed. I made a few calcs today and came to the conclusion that this spread might be worth using over standard max atk max Speed.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

Some calcs with the HPinvestment:
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X in Psychic Terrain: 253-298 (81.3 - 95.8%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 262-309 (84.2 - 99.3%) (this one I feel is very important)
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 267-315 (85.8 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (just a bonus)

The HPinvestment also makes sure you 100% live +1 Ice Beam from Magearna in addition to the Flare Blitz recoil so you can actually check it without dying.

The atkinvestment still gives u key rolls:
200 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 404-476 (104.9 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
200 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 404-476 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
200 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 194-230 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I was looking at MSab's description and saw this:

"Lastly, Protect ensures Mega Sableye can Mega Evolve safely at any point during a battle..."

Why would it need to protect to mega evolve? Even if this was gen6 where they didn't get the speed til mega, sableye doesn't care about it's speed stat. Since sab has no passive healing, protect's only other use on it is scouting. Is that even worth a moveslot?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was looking at MSab's description and saw this:

"Lastly, Protect ensures Mega Sableye can Mega Evolve safely at any point during a battle..."

Why would it need to protect to mega evolve? Even if this was gen6 where they didn't get the speed til mega, sableye doesn't care about it's speed stat. Since sab has no passive healing, protect's only other use on it is scouting. Is that even worth a moveslot?
It allows Mega Sab to get off a Mega vs anything at anytime in the match, which can be very important in order to abuse its Magic Bounce ability as soon as possible. It not only allows it to scout, but also Mega in the face of something like Tapu Lele turn 1 so the opponent can't bring in Ferrothorn to start spiking up afterward, for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)