Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Even though Hail is probably the worst weather, I wanted to try making a hail team around Alolan-Ninetales and Alolan-Sandslash since Slush Rush was introduced this gen. However I have been having troubles.. Does any one have some sort of checklist of what a hail team generally needs?

Even though Hail is probably the worst weather, I wanted to try making a hail team around Alolan-Ninetales and Alolan-Sandslash since Slush Rush was introduced this gen. However I have been having troubles.. Does any one have some sort of checklist of what a hail team generally needs?
I doubt it's worth your time. Alolan Sandslash is super bad since it manages to be weak and still gets outrun by several of the more popular scarfers, even under Hail. If you wanna run Alolan Ninetales, you're better off running it as a dual-screener and going with a Hyper Offense build. If not, I'd probably recommend doing this in UU.

Why was Shaymin-Sky banned?
I dont understand why... Its only for the signature move Seed Flare, if ban the signature move of Shaymin-Sky, he will be very useful in the OU

Why was Shaymin-Sky banned?
I dont understand why... Its only for the signature move Seed Flare, if ban the signature move of Shaymin-Sky, he will be very useful in the OU
take iron head jirachi, give it way too much speed, and change the flinching move's type from something that is relatively easily walled and punishable via helmet/barbs to one of the best offensive types in the game and you have something that is completely uncompetitive

Too fast, too strong, Serene Grace, and we don't ban parts of Pokemon if we can avoid it
Serene Grace without the signature move is nothing, too strong how? 2x fire, 4x ice, 2x rock, 2x poison and 2x flying, have only two great moves Air Slash and Seed Flare, yes he is really fast, i think that the real problem for Shaymin-Sky is the move Seed Flare+Serene Grace (80% of chance) i dont see Shaymin-Sky on Uber rank too =\

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Serene Grace without the signature move is nothing, too strong how? 2x fire, 4x ice, 2x rock, 2x poison and 2x flying, have only two great moves Air Slash and Seed Flare, yes he is really fast, i think that the real problem for Shaymin-Sky is the move Seed Flare+Serene Grace (80% of chance) i dont see Shaymin-Sky on Uber rank too =\
Firstly, Ubers is a banlist, not a tier in the traditional sense. As long as it's too good for OU, it's in Ubers (even if it's terrible there like Gen 6 gren was). Moving on, seed flare isn't the issue, it was air slash that was the worst offender. Flying is a super powerful offensive type, which in tandem with shaymin's high speed and the 60% flinch chance, made the matchup boil down to whether or not you were flinched. Seed Flare was just icing on the cake.
And the defensive typing doesn't matter if your opponent can't hit you through bs flinches.

Since Pokemon sometimes move up or down between tiers based on usage or success, I would like to know if there is a single place where all these changes are reported so I don't have to go looking for them in the dex?

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Since Pokemon sometimes move up or down between tiers based on usage or success, I would like to know if there is a single place where all these changes are reported so I don't have to go looking for them in the dex?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/competitive-discussion.249/
Here the user antar creates a thread where every month is updated with the tier shifts.
After three months, a new one is created, because there are the momthly shifts and the tri-monthly shifts

Why were both Amoongus and Tangrowth RU in gen 5? Was the introduction of fairy type and assault vest, respectively, that much of a buff to them?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Why were both Amoongus and Tangrowth RU in gen 5? Was the introduction of fairy type and assault vest, respectively, that much of a buff to them?
Amoonguss was pretty decent in Gen 5 OU since it was a good answer to a lot of the Water-types (Jelli, Gastro, Keldeo and Politoed) while being a fantastic defensive pivot due to Regenerator. Spore was also a lot stronger since there was no terrain or Grass-type immunity like in Gen 6/7. Tangrowth was mostly outclassed by Amoonguss as a bulky Grass pivot and also Tangrowth only became good when Assault Vest came.

Also Gen 5 OU was the land of overhyped mons (Conkeldurr, Infernape, Cloyster, Espeon, Vaporeon, etc.), though the eeveelutions were good at some point because of baton pass chaining, that overshadowed mons that were really good in OU (Mienshao and Amoonguss) that found themselves in lower tiers.

Does anyone have a link to a birdspam guide?
I couldn't exactly find one but here's a link to "Xtra Chirp$" in Featured RMT: http://www.smogon.com/articles/featured-rmt-xtra-chirps

Obviously this is a gen 6 team and outdated as a result, but there are some takeaways that I find helpful:
  • "Azelf is one of the fastest Pokémon, being able to set up Stealth Rock as well as use Explosion to kickstart the team's momentum for other teammates."
  • "The second Pokémon in the team is Mega Pinsir, which has a clear role as a wallbreaker, even if Flying-type checks are still present."
  • "With the second Pokémon being one that needs hazard control, the third Pokémon has to provide hazard removal." (Excadrill)
  • "Talonflame is the fourth Pokémon, completing the "bird spam" core with Mega Pinsir. Choice Band Talonflame is the breaker that this hyper offense team needs, and it is able to break through many defensive cores as well as being a strong revenge killer."
  • "Manaphy's Tail Glow allows it to easily punch through defensive cores."
  • It has an important role as a late-game sweeper and wincon, as well as adding valuable priority in Extreme Speed. (Dragonite)
To summarize, we have: A suicide lead, a wallbreaker (with priority), a hazard remover, a wallbreaker with a similar STAB (with priority), wallbreaker (win condition against stall), and late-game sweeper (typical win condition).

This formula is somewhat flexible but the hard part of making any type-spam team work is covering different matchups. For example, this team could run some other mon over Manaphy but it would struggle against stall. Drill is necessary because Electric-types 6-0 otherwise. If you have all anti-offense mons then balance will probably be an issue. etc.

In SM OU I feel typespam is in a tough spot since playing offense means you almost always need a base 100+ Scarf mon (for volcarona, lele, and other aids mons), a few reliable answers to stall (one is never enough), hazard removal if any mons are rocks weak or if spikes are too concerning (note that hazard removal is terrible atm), and answers to rain, webs, trick room, you name it. SM OU is cool since there's so much stuff that can work but making something as consistent as Xtra's HO was is really challenging. I would know, I tried to adapt this team once SM started but I couldn't make it work.

On a side note I saw a copy of this team with SD Mimikyu over Talonflame but I don't think it's enough to save the build.

If it helps I brainstormed some ideas for type spam below. Note that some have been brought up already:

Z Fly Lando + DD Zygarde or Double dance Lando + DD Z Outrage Zygarde groundspam

Gren/Ash Gren + Keldeo waterspam

Lele + Mega Zam or Lele + Sash Counter Zam + other mega psychic spam

Gengar + Mimikyu ghost spam

Gren (w/ LO dark pulse) + Bisharp dark spam with spike stack

Serp + Bulu grass spam

Mega Pinsir + Z Flying (Air Slash)/Z Stone Edge Celesteela birdspam

Z Fly Gravity Lando (s/o NJNP) + Banded Garchomp groundspam

These may or may not be good but you can get fairly creative.

Last edited:
I couldn't exactly find one but here's a link to "Xtra Chirp$" in Featured RMT: http://www.smogon.com/articles/featured-rmt-xtra-chirps

Obviously this is a gen 6 team and outdated as a result, but there are some takeaways that I find helpful:
  • "Azelf is one of the fastest Pokémon, being able to set up Stealth Rock as well as use Explosion to kickstart the team's momentum for other teammates."
  • "The second Pokémon in the team is Mega Pinsir, which has a clear role as a wallbreaker, even if Flying-type checks are still present."
  • "With the second Pokémon being one that needs hazard control, the third Pokémon has to provide hazard removal." (Excadrill)
  • "Talonflame is the fourth Pokémon, completing the "bird spam" core with Mega Pinsir. Choice Band Talonflame is the breaker that this hyper offense team needs, and it is able to break through many defensive cores as well as being a strong revenge killer."
  • "Manaphy's Tail Glow allows it to easily punch through defensive cores."
  • It has an important role as a late-game sweeper and wincon, as well as adding valuable priority in Extreme Speed. (Dragonite)
To summarize, we have: A suicide lead, a wallbreaker (with priority), a hazard remover, a wallbreaker with a similar STAB (with priority), wallbreaker (win condition against stall), and late-game sweeper (typical win condition).

This formula is somewhat flexible but the hard part of making any type-spam team work is covering different matchups. For example, this team could run some other mon over Manaphy but it would struggle against stall. Drill is necessary because Electric-types 6-0 otherwise. If you have all anti-offense mons then balance will probably be an issue. etc.

In SM OU I feel typespam is in a tough spot since playing offense means you almost always need a base 100+ Scarf mon (for volcarona, lele, and other aids mons), a few reliable answers to stall (one is never enough), hazard removal if any mons are rocks weak or if spikes are too concerning (note that hazard removal is terrible atm), and answers to rain, webs, trick room, you name it. SM OU is cool since there's so much stuff that can work but making something as consistent as Xtra's HO was is really challenging. I would know, I tried to adapt this team once SM started but I couldn't make it work.

On a side note I saw a copy of this team with SD Mimikyu over Talonflame but I don't think it's enough to save the build.

If it helps I brainstormed some ideas for type spam below. Note that some have been brought up already:

Z Fly Lando + DD Zygarde or Double dance Lando + DD Z Outrage Zygarde groundspam

Gren/Ash Gren + Keldeo waterspam

Lele + Mega Zam or Lele + Sash Counter Zam + other mega psychic spam

Gengar + Mimikyu ghost spam

Gren (w/ LO dark pulse) + Bisharp dark spam with spike stack

Serp + Bulu grass spam

Mega Pinsir + Z Fly/Z Stone Edge Celesteela birdspam

Z Fly Gravity Lando (s/o NJNP) + Banded Garchomp groundspam

These may or may not be good but you can get fairly creative.
Thanks for the help! I was hoping to create a birdspam team but didn't have any info to go off of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)