Shell Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is when nothing but crap gets to use it.

I could give a hamster a nuclear bomb and it isn't taking over the world anytime soon.

And so it is with shell smash. It is always fun to ohko cloyster with vappy's boil over after only taking 30% or so from rock blast.

The only real threat are the clamperl evos because they can pass.

Anyway, is there any viable mixed sets for users of this move that aren't outclassed by either a solely physical/ special set? I've noticed that most of the users attacking stats are either largely skewed towards Atk or SpA. Abagoura/ Carracosta is the only user with both decent Atk and SpA, but even at that, a physical set seems to outclass a mixed set, what with Stone Edge, and STAB priority in Aqua Jet.
Cloyster uses Hydro Pump to get past physical walls.

*Sigh* Why didn't toise get this move? It always wanted something a little more potent on the offensive front. If they gave it to the other turtles, wouldn't it only make sense for toise to get it too?

Shoot golem wants this move as well.

^ So does Torterra. At least Blastoise can excel in one role, being a good wall in Rain W/ Rain Dish, but Torterra is utterly outclassed in everything it does. Shell Smash could at least give it some utility. It would be pretty amazing actually.

Anyone who can calculate how much damage Machamp and Blaziken's Vacuum Waves do against Cloyster?

Based on the assumption they have no SpA investment with a negative nature and Cloyster is at -1 SpDef.

Yeah, I did say Machamp, he learns Vacuum Wave and has base 65 SpA which is usable against minus one 45 base SpDef, so why not consider it?

Anyone who can calculate how much damage Machamp and Blaziken's Vacuum Waves do against Cloyster?

Based on the assumption they have no SpA investment with a negative nature and Cloyster is at -1 SpDef.

Yeah, I did say Machamp, he learns Vacuum Wave and has base 65 SpA which is usable against minus one 45 base SpDef, so why not consider it?
Surely Machamp would prefer Bullet Punch if it wanted to take out Cloyster?

Surely Machamp would prefer Bullet Punch if it wanted to take out Cloyster?
Not when you consider that Cloyster has base 180 defense and bullet punch is neutral and not STAB.

EDIT: I just realized I could use the Smogon Calculator, so yeah, I'm pretty damn stupid.
Turns out that Adamant Machamp deals 63.1% - 75.5% to -1 0/0 Cloyster with Vacuum Wave.

Adamant/Jolly Blaziken, though, absolutely obliterates it.

So yeah, Machamp isn't 100% sure, but maybe if you run a neutral nature.. Gonna check that out right now.
EDIT2: 70.5% - 84.6%.. Pretty good chance of a OHKO with stealth rocks, does force you into brave nature, since you don't wanna touch your bulk, your speed needs to take a hit.

is that its users are not threats
They are threats now!

(move) would be better on (Pokemon) is not a new concept. Why are people complaining about lesser but still useable pokemon getting this move? Would you really want a top threat to learn this move?

This move is has actually taken Little Cup by storm too. The bad part is any user of this is slow, so a sweep can easily be stopped by a fastish scarfer.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I agree with the people saying that white herb is a good choice for cloyster. Since you're not taking recoil damage from life orb you'll stick around longer and you're not as vulnerable to priority attacks.

Shell Smash is not broken, but nor is it useless. While most users are destroyed by priority (most even after White Herb), if they can pull off just one SS they can outspeed a lot of mons, even Magcargo. If any SSer gets 2 SSs in, they outspeed just about everything. It was given to bad mons for a reason; to make them acceptable mons. C'mon: Cloyster can now beat Kyogre!

Shell Smash is not broken
Yes it is, anything using Shell Smash is broken.
OH YES PUN OF THE DAY.

Actually, most users handle priority well. Water resists AJ and BP and doesn't resist any priority. It's really only Cloyster that is weak to Fighting priority.
Also no Shell Smasher will ever set up twice. That is a fact.

It can happen. I've seen it done by my Japanese friend...once. He managed to survive (against a Whimsicott that thought he'd attack after one SS and used Stun Spore instead of Taunt). Then his Crustle managed to KO 2 mons before dying. But generally in competitive battling smart players don't do it twice. I'm just trying to emphasise the point it's in between broken and useless. Obviously if Salamence or something got it they'd be banned to Ubers, but Magcargo is hardly Arceus.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not when you consider that Cloyster has base 180 defense and bullet punch is neutral and not STAB.

EDIT: I just realized I could use the Smogon Calculator, so yeah, I'm pretty damn stupid.
Turns out that Adamant Machamp deals 63.1% - 75.5% to -1 0/0 Cloyster with Vacuum Wave.

Adamant/Jolly Blaziken, though, absolutely obliterates it.

So yeah, Machamp isn't 100% sure, but maybe if you run a neutral nature.. Gonna check that out right now.
EDIT2: 70.5% - 84.6%.. Pretty good chance of a OHKO with stealth rocks, does force you into brave nature, since you don't wanna touch your bulk, your speed needs to take a hit.
Also, if you're using Vacuum Wave on Blaziken, you'd probably use a SpD-lowering nature rather than SpA, since almost nothing uses Vacuum Wave and it dies to any non-priority anyway.

Yes it is, anything using Shell Smash is broken.
OH YES PUN OF THE DAY.

Actually, most users handle priority well. Water resists AJ and BP and doesn't resist any priority. It's really only Cloyster that is weak to Fighting priority.
Also no Shell Smasher will ever set up twice. That is a fact.
Not true. I use a Focus Sash Shell Smash Cloyster as a lead, and if the opposing lead uses in the first turn a move that doesn't damage it, like setting up hazards, I can safely smash twice and sweep, if there aren't priority users or Ditto.

Not true. I use a Focus Sash Shell Smash Cloyster as a lead, and if the opposing lead uses in the first turn a move that doesn't damage it, like setting up hazards, I can safely smash twice and sweep, if there aren't priority users or Ditto.
Everybody worth his salt has at least one priority user in this generation, smashing twice is a no-no.

Everybody worth his salt has at least one priority user in this generation, smashing twice is a no-no.
Obviously, team prewiew is your friend in this situation. If I see no risk of priority, I'll smash away, and if there is priority I will kill the opposing lead, since I'm now faster, survive the priority hit and probably kill one of his priority users, making life easier for the rest of my team.

Do remember Smeargle has Shell Smash. Simply put

Shell Smash>Focus Sash>Spore>Shell Smash some more>BP>BP to bulky white herb user.

=Sweep.

I tend to lead with Hippowdon and I find it absolutely hilarious that so many Cloysters think they can get a free Shell Smash in. Hippowdon carries Roar folks...
Also anyone who doesnt attack/instaphaze a Shell Smasher is making a grave error in judgement.

Depends on the player. I would go directly for the offensive move, since, most Hippos carry Roar.

Really Shell Break shouldn't be used that early in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)