Shell Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it would be possible to super abuse this with Gorebyss? Imagine having a Politoed with Drizzle to set up rain. Then, you have a Dream World Gorebyss with Hydration as it's ability. Either have Iron Defense and max out your Sp. Defense, or Amnesia and max out your Defense. Carry Shell Smash, the defense boosting move you chose, Rest, and Baton Pass. Keep boosting your defensive power, Resting now and again when your health is low (and waking up instantly due to Hydration) and once you've got +6 in your chosen defense, use a couple of Shell Smashes to seriously power up, then Baton Pass to any Pokemon you choose to receive it. Basically, if you pull this off, your recipient will have +4 Attack, +4 Sp. Attack, +4 Speed, +4 chosen defense, -2 other defense (or only -1 if you choose to use a White Herb.) Imagine that! Better yet, give Gorebyss a Focus Sash (in case of crits, and if it wasn't broken before you'd have another chance to use it after each Rest) and then give the desired Baton Pass recipient a White Herb, so that it will end up with +4 Attack, +4 (Sp.) Defense, +4 Sp. Attack, regular other Defense, +4 Speed. End game. And it would only need two Pokemon to viably set it up, though you'd want to make sure you keep the rain up. Is it possible to make Gorebyss bulky enough to pull this off? I wish you could have both Iron Defense and Amnesia, but you'd use up all your moveslots and have to sacrifice Rest or Baton Pass. Or Shell Smash, actually. But that's not really a good idea.

I find that whenever you try to pull off something like that it falls apart. While you're setting up, your opponent is still acting, and even with hefty defenses, Gorebyss isn't going to survive multiple strong hits. And then a Taunter kills it, obviously, unless you choose to Smash on turn 1, which kinda defeats the purpose of the bulky set.

Blastoise should've gotten this move.
Oh if only, but not only him....

And btw Exoskeletons are irrelevant (Gorrebyss and Shell smash? *Gorebyss smashes shell-bra and gets +2 Atk, SpA, and Spe? Cow-pies*)

~Kingler
~Crawdaunt
~Torkoal
~Shukle (For Perversity+Def boost abuse)
~may the list continue.

Now, would it be viable to run a sashed or Defensive Gorebyss as a lead with Shell Smash+Baton Pass along with two or three White Herb Sweepers / Recipents? ie, for quick 9-10 turn sweeps.

I see lead Tyranitars being a problem for that. If they SR on turn one, then you're golden. But if they attack and do 94%+ dmg, you're in rough shape. Granted, a lot of lead Ttars now don't have moves that can nearly OHKO a Gorebyss if it's bulky enough... probably. Dunno how it might fare against other leads, though.

And does White Herb work if you're receiving a Baton Pass'd -1?

I see lead Tyranitars being a problem for that. If they SR on turn one, then you're golden. But if they attack and do 94%+ dmg, you're in rough shape. Granted, a lot of lead Ttars now don't have moves that can nearly OHKO a Gorebyss if it's bulky enough... probably. Dunno how it might fare against other leads, though.

And does White Herb work if you're receiving a Baton Pass'd -1?
I believe White Herb cures all stat drops as soon as those stat drops are provided, so as soon as the Recipent is sent in and gains the changes, White Herb will restore the lowered defenses. (Basicly a Yes to your Q)

Edit: AND FOR POST NUMBER 1111, I doth proclaim that Albino is awesome, Lamprey is cool, I love ya' Kipp, and Smogon rocks in general.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
absol comes to mind, a lot of ghosts types, toxicroak looks promising thanks to how well it fits on rain teams + resistance to vacuum wave, mach punch, aqua jet, shadow sneak, AND sucker punch. More importantly, psych up users get the bonus AS WELL as the user. Snatch users would steal it, an alakazam would copy it. (hell, even spinda could become awesome with that).

shell smash + baton pass to a mixed sweeper. the user could even be holding a white herb or whatever its called. its the item where lowered stats are healed.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would list reasons for this, but I'll be blunt: Snatch isn't worth it. If it had any utility at all (you need serious prediction), Mew would be the best set up stopper with this move.

Oh if only, but not only him....

And btw Exoskeletons are irrelevant (Gorrebyss and Shell smash? *Gorebyss smashes shell-bra and gets +2 Atk, SpA, and Spe? Cow-pies*)

~Kingler
~Crawdaunt
~Torkoal
~Shukle (For Perversity+Def boost abuse)
~may the list continue.

Now, would it be viable to run a sashed or Defensive Gorebyss as a lead with Shell Smash+Baton Pass along with two or three White Herb Sweepers / Recipents? ie, for quick 9-10 turn sweeps.
Torkal does get Shell Break, by level up. (Level 65 BTW) But it's about as viable as Shell Break Magcargo.

I know this isn't based off of any real data, but IF White Smoke prevented self-stat drops, Torkoal would be beast. No defense drops, and you can spam Overheat without any worries. Too bad it doesn't work like that.

But a Torkoal with Shell Smash isn't that bad. Sure it's not powerful, sure it needs a White Herb, and sure it's slow even after boosting, but it's not trash.

I know this isn't based off of any real data, but IF White Smoke prevented self-stat drops, Torkoal would be beast. No defense drops, and you can spam Overheat without any worries. Too bad it doesn't work like that.

But a Torkoal with Shell Smash isn't that bad. Sure it's not powerful, sure it needs a White Herb, and sure it's slow even after boosting, but it's not trash.
And using it TWICE to be fast enough is what now? Used it on PO and thought Torkoal had much better things to do than drop its darn tootin' defense. Made for a decent enough Spinner with Balloon though. Magcargo is in a similar boat i think. Except for the spinning.

I want a Shell Smash Slugma. Yeah.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
did anybody else consider psyche up? It would be so perfect for lots of pokes. Alakazam with intact focus sash with magic guard, Mewtwo+psychics in ubers, all kinds of stuff.

Would passing to chandelure be pretty good? Resists bullet punch, immune to mach punch, powerful SpA already.

Shell Smash is really good when passed to ANYTHING with offensive stats above 70! Chandelure is very powerful with this, but it isn't amazingly fast without Scarf and Scarfed opponents would easily revenge it. Psych Up does seem like a good idea in Doubles and Triples (Zam and company would need a Sash to survive a hit though). In UU Torkoal and Magcargo can still be useful despite their low Speed, and it also means more underrated and fairly bulky threats to use it (Grumpig has balanced Sp. Atk and Speed and with White Herb remains somewhat bulky, and Altaria just dies for this!) Also, if up against an unthreatening physical attacker, Torkoal CAN Smash a second time or just hit on the switch: it has great Defense so it has a niche and it can bluff defense. Gorebyss and Huntail remain prime users thougfh, obviously. I'm wondering if I should couple Lilligant with this (Sleep Powder would help remedy poor type coverage!)

What are some common shell smashers? I actually rarely see them but hear a lot about them. I was 1350-ish last night and I thought I was supposed to see a whole bunch of them around this rating >.<

Cloyster is pretty much the only one you'll ever see in OU. That and Gorebyss for baton passing. (for some reason, nobody uses Huntail even though it's basically exactly the same pokemon)

Other than that, the only other one you might ever see is Crustle, unless you go into a lower tier...

Cloyster is pretty much the only one you'll ever see in OU. That and Gorebyss for baton passing. (for some reason, nobody uses Huntail even though it's basically exactly the same pokemon)

Other than that, the only other one you might ever see is Crustle, unless you go into a lower tier...
Nobody uses Huntail because it's outclassed by Gorebyss. Huntail has 104 Atk (and 94 SpAtk) while Gorebyss has 114 SpAtk (and 84 Atk). Gorebyss thus attacks of the side of the attack spectrum where it has higher power moves and benefits from less balanced attacking stats.

Smeargle also will sometimes be seen using Shell Smash, though pretty much all the shell smashers are mid to low RU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)