SM OU Shedinja team

Introduction

Hey everyone,
this is my shedinja team for OU. I really like shedinja as it is a pokemon that can only be hit by 5 types (not including hazards, toxic etc.) So far this team is running pretty well, so I wanted to see what you guys think about it.

Changes made:
Celesteela's leftovers are replaced by flyinium Z and instead of leech seed now giga drain.
Safety google instead of sash in shed.
Zapdos instead of victini.
Mega lopunny instead of chansey.
The Team

Shedinja @ Safety Googles
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature Adamant
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak

So yeah the first and most obvious member of a Shedinja team is... Shedinja himself. So it is self explaining why he is on the team.
He has 2 roles within the team. 1. Wall everything that cannot hit him. 2. Sweep the opponent team when all the threats are removed.
The EV spread is obvious for Shedinja. He has no need for Def, SpD or HP so its a full invest in Atk and Spe. The 4 on Def are just since there are 4 left you can invest so I just invested them into something random XD. While Shed is acting as a wall Will-O-Wisp can be used to make common physical threat much less threating. The rest is just for the sweep part: set up Swords Dance and then use the two Stab moves to kill the opponent.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Light Screen
- Nature's Madness

The first thing a Shedinja team needs are pokemon that counter his threats. Thoose are Fire, Flying, Rock, Ghost and Dark. So with the type combination of water/fairy Tapu-Fini already counters 2 of the threats. Fire and Dark. With Misty Surge Fini can also give protection against Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, common moves to bypass the focus sash of Shedinja. So Tapu-Fini has multiple roles and is esential for the team. 1. Wall fire and Dark 2. Prevent toxic etc. 3.remove hazards with defog.
I have choosen a special defensive spread with full Hp and SpD invest since most common fire and dark threats (like heatran, mega chari Y, greninja) are SpAtker and so Fini has a better chance at switching in safely. Light screen can also help the team a lot since only chansey and Fini are special defensive and gives more options to switch in safely. Defog is one of the reason you can't let Fini die since if Fini is dead and hazards are played Shedinja is already dead. Nature madness is used to bring threats into a range where they can easily be killed with shedinjas shadow sneak. And moonblast so that Fini has the option to kill as well. The leftovers give Fini recovery. Needed to keep our defogger alive.

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Giga Drain
- Autotomize
- Air Slash

Celesteela is in the team to counter flying type moves. The spread of 116 Spe allows to outspeed up to base 120 Spe pokemon with full invest and Spe+ nature after autotomize , what means a single autotomize is enough to outspeed nearly everything in OU. 252 in Spatk and modest allows for maximum dmg and a boost of Spatk with Beast Boost. The rest went into HP to allow for a bit of bulk.
Autotomize allows to outspeed in order to make full use of air slash. Air slash allows for flinching and Flash cannon is to have a powerful Stab move. Giga drain makes up for tglhe recovery lost by replacing the leftovers.

Mega-Lopunny @Lopunnite
Abilty: Scrappy
Evs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Return
-Encore

After putting out victini tobuse zapdos as 2nd defogger I noticed I was lacking offensive power. However I wanted to keep the 2nd defogger as he came in pretty good. So I thought and decided to replace chansey and use m-lopunny instead to make up for the offensive power. Build was choosen for maximum dmg and speed. High jump kick and return as powerful Stabs. Thunderpunch to deal with celesteela. And encore can be usefull when switching in to lock tge opponent into hazard use or boosting moves such as Swords Dance etc.

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

The only weakness left is rock. For that I choose to run a defensive Garchomp. Defensive over offensive simply because this team switchea a lot to counter the weaknesses amd kill them. Stealth rock to guve pressure to charizard. And just to have hazards on your own after killing the opponenta hazard setter and defogging them away. Protect is to scout. Swords dance and EQ to have a bit of offensive presence.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Abilty: Pressure
Evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spdef
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice
- Defog
- Thunderbolt

Zapdos is used as 2nd hazard removal. Otherwise he walls special atker and stalls a bit. Hp Ice is used against lando-t, garchomps etc. T-bolt as Stab and Roost to stall and recover. But the only real role he has in the team is hazard removal

Last edited:
Very interesting team you have here. Its hard to say how successful a team like this would be without actually playing it, but you definitely have a lot of good components here that work together well.

Because the team is focused around removing Shedninja's threats it is difficult for me to say exactly what you need to change. I do have a few suggestions however.

Flyinium-Z>Leftovers on Celesteela allows you to nuke a potential wall/check and also aids in your ability to sweep. Because of Celes natural bulk and leech seed, i don't think it is entirely necessary to use leftovers.

Hazard removal is also crucial on this team, so another option would be to run Zapdos>Victini. This diminishes your offensive presence a bit, however it takes a lot of the pressure off of Tapu Fini and definitely contributes to the goal of the team.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Roost may be added in place of Hp Ice or Heat Wave, depending on what you think is more necessary.

Hi
Thx for your suggestion.
I tried them both and the flyinium Z worked pretty well actually. The recovery lost from no leftover can in worst case come from chanseys wish.
As for zapdos. I tried but I had to see that my team then gets destroyed by Celesteela. Sure I can wall it with my own Celesteela but I would then not have the power to break through its bulk. Especially sets with Defensive invest + leech seed are a horror with that change as I cant break through it anymore. However the 2nd hazard removal came in quite good a few times. Is there some good fast pokemon that can learn taunt and defog that could be used instead of zapdos? Or one with enough offense to break through celesteela while being able to remove hazards?

I'd suggest safety goggles over focus sash on Shedinja. Being able to survive a random HP Fire is nice, but I think surviving Tyranitar's sand and A-Ninetales' hail is more important since you don't have your own weather setter. Also, Giga Drain over leech seed. Autotomize Celesteela isn't meant to be passive as leech seed is.

Thx for the suggestion I adjusted my team and edited the original post according to it.
Aww_Shuckle thx for suggesting giga drain came in pretty good as well as safety googles on shed. Now shed is used as wall aginst a-ninetales. Not so much against t-tar since he mostly has a rock type move. But still useful against weather.
I also choose to use m-lopunny instead of chansey to make up for the lack of offensive power that came from using zapdos over Victini. What do u guys think about it?

Felixx

I'm back.
Cool team, shedinja on a non pure stall team seems cool but there are a few things i'd change:

Taunt/Surf/Scald > Light Screen on Tapu fini (Scald can burn terrain changers like Koko and Bulu)

Shedinja set is pretty standard

Celes is fine

Lop should run fake out instead of thunder punch, I get that it helps because celesteela uses protect against your high jump kick but it's not needed otherwise, zapdos walls celesteela indefinitely

Don't run protect on garchomp unless you start running leftovers, yeah you can scout but it's definitely NOT worth it. Forget running swords it makes no sense on a defensive set, use fire blast instead. (Also, Lando is a lot better at a defensive role and offensive role unless we're talking dragonium Z or scarf chomp)

Timid but no speed Zapdos...?

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

(Phys def checks pinsir since it's offensive celes)

Hopefully this review helps your teambuilding

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)