Sandygast, Palossand Discussion

Not sure what tier it will land in, but it seems totally capable of playing in the upper tiers. Great hp for a ghost, reliable recovery tank that is also a special attacker with a mostly unresisted STAB like ghost is a great combination. resists bug and blocks volt switch, making it harder to gain momentum off. It also acts as a spinblocker. It pairs wonderfully with Tyranitar who can switch into dark and ghost type attacks aimed at it, and it can cover tyranitar's fighting type weakness somewhat.. but it also gains a boost to its recovery in sand. Whats more, while Palossand is a spinblocker to mons like Excadrill, Tyranitar pursuit traps common defoggers like Latis or beats them with Stone Edges. This can be a competent hazard control core IMO

edit: And I know everyones ragging on water compaction, but why not just use a sand veil set tbh? If youre running it with a tyranitar, it sounds pretty strong to have a toxic spamming mon that you may miss with your attack

Last edited:
It's a shame sand stall isn't a thing anymore, because this guy would fit right in. Shore Up is a great move and his typing, while a mixed bag defensively with weaknesses to Dark, Ghost, Water, Ice, and Grass, does offer him important resistances to Bug, Fighting, Electric, and Rock. Unfortunately the OU metagame is rather hostile to him with virtually all of his weaknesses being common types. Scalds, Ice Beams, and Leaf Storms fly around in almost every match, but in the lower tiers I can see him doing very well, and would even be a niche pick on some Sand teams as a defensive check to things like Terrakion and Excadrill.

I can't help but think how cool this thing would be if Water Compaction made it immune to Water attacks as well. As is, though, it still looks pretty good. Its stats are actually very similar to Slowbro's, and Ground / Ghost is a pretty good typing. Not to mention is signature recovery move. It's a shame that Terrakion isn't as big of a deal as it was in BW, because this guy is perhaps the greatest Terrakion counter to ever exist. Besides that, it could still probably do a decent job of switching into things like Mega Lopunny, Mega Heracross, and non-Grass Knot Mega Metagross. It'll be even better if it can get Stealth Rock by tutor in the future. Definitely has some potential as a niche check to certain physical threats, although just how useful that niche is will depend on how the metagame develops.

I commonly LOATHE Assualt Vest, but it might actually be viable on this mon. Giga Drain, when invested in Sp Def, can actually make this thing do good stuff. Though, giving it AV is giving up on pretty much the other best thing Palo has going for it- Shore Up. Sand Veil Shore Up sounds heat af, but who knows, it sounds fun enough to try considering the impressive SpA stat and the best STABs a Special Ghost/Grounder can get.
Ive got no idea what tier this boy will end up, but every set will be somewhat gimmicky due to endless possibilites being ruined by Sp Def stat. I have high hopes for you, my Pikachu-Devouring Sand Castle of Doom that brainwashes people and stores their dead, soul-sucked bodies under him.
...Um.

Palossand's special defense stat is really not that bad. Its higher than Gliscors. Its obviously not boasting the same status immunity and some of the other qualities as gliscor but cmon.. we see defensive ground types in high tiers all the time and its still packing 3 immunities and 3 resistances. a ground typing and weakness to water, ice, grass does not make a pokemon bad at all. ive seen usefulness come from worse ghosts in UU, like gourgeist

Last edited:
Heck, Celebi is living proof of that. It has more weaknesses than a rat has fleas and yet still manages to worm its way into OU every gen.

Heck, Celebi is living proof of that. It has more weaknesses than a rat has fleas and yet still manages to worm its way into OU every gen.
Celebi is going to die in this gen, I guess.

This new gen made Leech Life into one of the most powerful healing attacking moves (bar Dream Eater and tied with Oblivion Wing).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)