1. Our third apparel sale is live. New design + reprint of the athletic design. Support us and get a shirt!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Metagame RUPL Team / Set Dump

Discussion in 'RarelyUsed' started by col49, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM.

1. col49

col49
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

approved by atomicllamas , what a guy

With another installment of RUPL coming to a close, I'd like to invite everyone to share any interesting teams and / or sets they felt comfortable sharing from their games. Not only does this practice help to capture the state of the metagames played this year, but offers the community insight on the tournament scene bred from them. Any insight that can be offered would be greatly appreciated, so go wild! I'll be compiling the info presented here in the OP as it comes, and hopefully bumping it with the conclusion of the RU Open in the proceeding weeks, so be on the lookout for that as well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    Ajna, Sacri', Accelgor and 25 others like this.
  2. FlamingVictini

FlamingVictini FV
    is a Tiering Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon champion

[​IMG]
    Araquanid @ Splash Plate
    Ability: Water Bubble
    EVs: 96 HP / 216 Atk / 196 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Spider Web
    - Toxic
    - Rest

Everyone should know what he does by now, so I'll just explain the EVs: lives 3 stosses, outspeeds non-creeped umb, atk jump point. Play him like a mon that crushes teams with liquidation and just use the trap combo for stuff that gets in the way. Toxicroak hard walls so keep that in mind.

[​IMG]
    Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
    Ability: Oblivious
    EVs: 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Fire Blast
    - Sludge Wave
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Nasty Plot

Everyone should also already know about hp grass salazzle, I just want to toot my own horn about coming up with this / having my players use it since week 1 when I was first learning this meta. The chance of umb 3hko'ing 4 hp salazzle without a crit is 1/4096 so I moved the 4 evs to SDef incase a download P2 decides to make an appearance. Speaking of P2, please don't use oblivious on salazzle if you intend to use taunt (don't use taunt).

[​IMG]
    Dhelmise @ Meadow Plate / Grassium Z
    Ability: Steelworker
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly / Adamant Nature
    - Anchor Shot
    - Power Whip
    - Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
    - Rest

Rest dhelmise can shit on a lot of fat stuff, and removing registeel completely is pretty nice (yes you still beat protect variants even without the meadow plate, but you need sd to beat rest regi). SD and Jolly is better here imo, more geared towards being a nasty breaker and taking out even fast umbreons. Rapid Spin is the alternative that my team used with vivillon to put the pressure on stuff like registeel and rhyp which were the most common rockers at the time. Dhelmise isn't a great spinner but it can do the job for a partner like vivi and it works better with the element of surprise (anchor shotting a toxic from regi and then proceeding to kill regi while keeping rocks off), just be wary that doublade now spinblocks him. I like meadow plate's consistency with SD but a well played bloom doom nuke can be really really nice, just choose the item based on the rest of your team / your preferences.

[​IMG]
    Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 208 HP / 236 SpA / 64 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Thunder
    - Recover
    - Calm Mind

Originally my idea was OTR, but I realized reuni just shits on most teams way more with recover. I also originally had focus blast but I decided to drop it for CM to make it a bigger longterm threat that also fucks up a lot of stall. The high SAtk and LO allows reuni to hit very hard without boosts and since ur not going for bulk you have more room to be speedy; the given satk ohkos umbreon at +6 so u don't have to risk paralyzing yourself. Obviously the downside of Life Orb is that it can be knocked off and you don't get a perfect accuracy electric nuke, but you should still screw up stall teams even if they go gligar to knock off first because quagsire won't be able to outlast psychic without being complete putty for physical attckers (and even then, sdef drops should allow reuni to collect a few kills). I paired this with DD Dragonium Gon so this tradeoff was fine for me, but i'm sure electrium with the same/similar spread could work effectively.

My favorite teams from the season

Some of my players came up with some cool stuff as well so i'm hoping they post as well :) next season please spare me from the week 1 haxlax.
    Slurmz, Arifeen, Hot N Cold and 10 others like this.
  3. Robert Alfons

Robert Alfons The birds don't sing, they screech in pain
    is a Tiering Contributor

I didn't play around with a lot of creative sets this RUPL but there's a thing or two I wanna highlight:

[​IMG]

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Taunt
    - Moonlight
    - Toxic / Heal Bell
    - Foul Play

Taunt Umbreon is not necessarily a new thing, but it is niche and also most people wouldn't run this amount of speed on it but it's worth it imo. Even though you lose out on some special bulk you're still bulky as all hell, and the combination of that bulk, reliable recovery, and Taunt allows it to shut down and defeat a huge array of defensive mons 1v1. The Speed EVs allow for it to outspeed Gligar and Cresselia, as well as Milotic, Mantine et cetera. You can add in a few extra EVs (or only use enough for Mantine but get real) since speed creeping on that speed tier is fairly common and getting the jump on Taunt Chesnaught for example is huge, since you actually beat it if you Taunt it before it can Taunt you. Although losing out on some of its defensive utility may seem painful, it's actually hilarious how many fat balance teams are completely shut down by this set: unable to set hazards, unable to Defog, and unable to boost with slow sweepers like Snorlax and Reuniclus (this is big), they just kinda bend over once their Fighting-type is dead. Moveset is self-explanatory, Toxic makes this set more self-sufficient but Heal Bell gives it better durability in case your opponent uses like Scarf Toxic Salazzle or some shit (and you can Synchronize that shit onto the Toxic user as a bonus), the latter sounds like a lot of fun on a team with Toxic Spikes but I have yet to try it out myself.

[​IMG]

Roserade @ Grassium Z
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Sleep Powder

Since Scarf seems to be more of a thing now, you can bluff that shit easily with that set, then nuke something with an insanely powerful Bloom Doom. Pretty straightforward. You can also use Z-Sleep Powder late game if you want to turn it into a cleaner, although that's very situational and I never actually did it.

[​IMG]

Rhyperior @ Rindo Berry
    Ability: Solid Rock
    EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Blast
    - Ice Punch

Fuck Salazzle, basically. If you're wondering why one should use this over Gigalith if they want a rocker that doubles as a Salazzle check, for one Rhyp brings way more to the table for offensively inclined teams imo (Ground STAB, more power, outspeeds and heavily dents slow sweepers like Lax and Doublade) and for two, you can surprise kill Salazzle as it goes for HP Grass, whereas if you run Gigalith your opponent will just switch out. You also can technically tank a Life Orb Seed Flare from Shaymin and a +2 Leaf Blade from Virizion but you probably shouldn't try.
    Lord Esche, Pohjis, Kushalos and 5 others like this.
  4. Sam I Yam

Sam I Yam

[​IMG]

Bewear @ Leftovers
    Ability: Fluffy
    Happiness: 0
    EVs: 92 HP / 156 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Substitute
    - Bulk Up
    - Frustration
    - Earthquake

Here's a set I had a 100% win-rate with this season.

Since I had brought exclusively offense so far in the season, I expected my next opponent to plan accordingly during w5 (fast attackers / veil offense).
    Sub BU bewear fit really well vs veil and opposing offense. 92 HP lets you get 101hp subs, 8 def ensures that at +1 def, Adamant gatr can not break your sub without an attack boost. 252 Jolly lets you always outspeed things like aurorus (see my game vs Mazar), pangoro, and can outspeed a taunt from comfey (0 speed). The 156 attack ev's can be moved around depending on what you are trying to prep for (for example, with 92hp + 156SpDef can sub up on mantine's scald).

If you can hold off until around mid game to get +1, lots of "mid game bewear checks" can not revenge kill you. See calc for a few examples

Physical Sharpedo vs +1 Bewear (open)

252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Psychic Fangs vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Fluffy Bewear: 101-120 (25 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

This means you can bulk up once again to +2 and then sharpedo can no longer break your sub

252+ Flygon vs +1 Bewear (open)

252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Bewear: 118-141 (29.2 - 34.9%) -- 11.1% chance to 3HKO

Doublade vs +1 Bewear (open)
    252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Fluffy Bewear: 51-61 (12.6 - 15%) -- possible 7HKO

chesnaught vs +1 Bewear (open)

0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. +1 92 HP / 8 Def Fluffy Bewear: 68-84 (16.8 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ru-305420 vs Mazar
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-613573995 vs Shiba

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)