Tournament RUPL IV Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello friends!!!!!!!!
so there's 5 pls goin on rite now + the illustrious powc so im not gonna start this till like a month from now mayb..BUT ANYWAY
format bop
so.
things to consider:
1. uupl has retains. do u want retains? they would work the same as SPL (10k automatically unless you are 8k or more, then you add 3k). and yes you would be allowed to trade them
2. atm my most likely thought is just doing 3 sm / 2 oras / 2 bw / manager slot
options = removing manager slot and adding a tier...and letting managers play by either buying themselves or just putting themselves in whatever tier they want (i want to play so executive decision that managers will be able to play somehow bop)
i also might add xy depending on signups...since 10 slots seems kind of cool. i'd also like to expand to 8 teams with a 4 team playoff since it would be more interesting

OH AND DON'T FORGET, RU DOUBLES YN YN YN (no like seriously...free ru doubles)

so yeah lemme know what your thoughts are o.o

oh forgot this is rupl so...
kirino's arcanine impression:

Last edited:
just from my experiences in past iterations of this and other tier leagues, defunct metas such as xy end up sounding like a neat novelty prior, but ultimately a huge chore in application for the players, plus it really doesn't yield super interesting games imo (nobody is building xy teams, but you'll occasionally see a grandpa like urs trvly slapping together a bw). kinda iffy on retains too, since management bar arcanine and whatever llamas names his tend to trade hands almost every year iirc, and it might lend to a decent baseline just falling into ur lap. doesn't sit right w/me when the screening process for managers is a lil on the loose end, but that's a contentious and subjective stance ik

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think we shouldn't put retains this year and get 8 teams this time with fixed names, so we can do it next time. XY is, as 49 said, not really worthy to be in the tour because of how imbalanced and nobody wants to build it. I guess RU doubles can work, but that'd lead to a lot of doubles players being bought and RUPL being a tour for RU community would be somewhat of an injustice to them. If we really want 10 tiers we could go.
3 SM 3 ORAS 3 BW 1 Manager / bo3 (I really hate manager spots so bo3 could be an option)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
3 SM 2 ORAS 2 BW 1 manager

Depends on sign ups but if we're doing 8 teams we don't have the player base for 10 slots.

edit: fine with meru's thing too

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I actually like Meru´s proposition for a format. Given it is the start of a new gen, having more sm slots will promote and develop our potential playerbase.

So yeah: 4 SM, 2 ORAS, 1 BW sounds dope tbh. Pretty sold on it myself.

Manager slot? Free RU Doubles imotbhjs

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Reposting but... will we even have the playerbase to support two ORAS slots? Cuz that's one of the problems we're having right now with UUPL. It might be best to do five SM slots or finally take ownership of DPP NU as an official RU tier

I would probably leave the format open to change until you see how many sign-ups there are for the prospective tiers

Reposting but... will we even have the playerbase to support two ORAS slots? Cuz that's one of the problems we're having right now with UUPL. It might be best to do five SM slots or finally take ownership of DPP NU as an official RU tier

I would probably leave the format open to change until you see how many sign-ups there are for the prospective tiers
If there's no NUPL please do this, basically no harm.

to update this...............

I'm in way too many team tournaments right now to attempt to care about another one, especially the one I would care the most about, relatively speaking. And WCOP is starting in like a month and a half, and I don't really want to start it during that either....so like idk LOL I might start it after WCOP (early August). Like, I don't think doing it now is very beneficial.
For those who are unaware...there's literally
HPL, POWC, UUPL, Monotype PL, ROAPL, Doubles PL, Ubers PL, LCPL, PPL and OUPL going on right now...
so blame everyone else for being annoying cuz i really don't want to start it during this shitstorm so bop idk.

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bro, da fuck are you doing signing up on all that shit?! Smashing some monotype noobs must be quite the experience. SMH

Anyways, since we got the idea of the format basically settled (I like 4 SM, 2 ORAS, 1 XY, 1 BW2), usage stats arent coming out anytime soon and well... this shit starting on August so we have plenty of time...

...the point is, how about some sort of multi-gen tournament to practice? It will obviously not be draft based but some team tour probably. I could work out the kinks for it

I will regret proposing this but I will hos it if I may, Im a man of my word.

OR someone makes doubles ru tournament
make it happen bros
but ya we should hav some individual tour or team tour w/e (if u rly want to add an 11th)
-

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Bro, da fuck are you doing signing up on all that shit?! Smashing some monotype noobs must be quite the experience. SMH

Anyways, since we got the idea of the format basically settled (I like 4 SM, 2 ORAS, 1 XY, 1 BW2), usage stats arent coming out anytime soon and well... this shit starting on August so we have plenty of time...

...the point is, how about some sort of multi-gen tournament to practice? It will obviously not be draft based but some team tour probably. I could work out the kinks for it

I will regret proposing this but I will hos it if I may, Im a man of my word.
I think a reboot of the UU Classic with the old gen RU tiers having their own opens would be a great idea. UU classic gave managers a great scout of who would play some of the old gens

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think a reboot of the UU Classic with the old gen RU tiers having their own opens would be a great idea. UU classic gave managers a great scout of who would play some of the old gens
yes but uu classic has 3 tiers in bw dpp adv whereas we have 2 in oras and bw. unless we wanna introduce shit like dpp nu idt ru classic can be a thing lol

xy ru can be included but it technically shouldnt be included since its just a part of oras lul

Ajna

i tell my ppl i don't need love but
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
yes but uu classic has 3 tiers in bw dpp adv whereas we have 2 in oras and bw. unless we wanna introduce shit like dpp nu idt ru classic can be a thing lol

xy ru can be included but it technically shouldnt be included since its just a part of oras lul
xy has the same mechanics, but it's a vastly different metagame. i think it'd be really cool to do an ru classic with oras, xy, and bw even if it doesn't include three different generations.

phantom

Banned deucer.
let's keep this on topic and discuss rupl's format only. this isn't the place to discuss other ru tours.

ftr the ideas proposed about a circuit tour that encompasses all ru gens seems pretty interesting, though. I'll see if I can get something like that off the ground to have a tour of some kind until rupl starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)