Approved RU Spotlight: Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
History

In here, I plan to talk about how Tyrantrum was like in XY. People initially hyped over it because of its high attack and defense stat and unique Rock / Dragon typing and also a special ability in Strong Jaw. But it was not as great as everyone thought it was when used. It became very weak to common threats in RU such as Rhyperior and Doublade.

And then I would talk about how the transition of ORAS greatly changed it. The move tutors benefited it a bit but it was not enough. It wasn't until they introduced Rock Head in Tyrantrum that it became very viable in the tier. The recent departure of Doublade also greatly helped it in making it one of the best pokemon in RU.

Qualities

In here, I would talk about how one of Tyrantrum's best qualities is Rock Head, which allows it to use Head Smash without inflicting any recoil damage. Its secondary STAB move, Outrage also has great power and great coverage with Head Smash that helps alongside Tyrantrum's high attack stat. Its solid physical defense also allow it to switch into many physical attacks. The only downside it has is Tyrantrum's abysmal special bulk, lackluster speed and its weakness to steel-types. I will also talk about how Tyrantrum is versatile in usage as it can 3 sets viably.

Playing With Tyrantrum

In here I would show all the 3 sets that Tyrantrum runs and how players should be playing it. It as the Choice Scarf, Rock Polish and Choice Band set. For the Choice Scarf set, I would say that it is very difficult for offensively-oriented teams to switch into it due to its speed and raw power of its STAB moves. It can be a threatening revenge killer as well as a late-game cleaner when its checks and counters are eliminated. For the Rock Polish set, I would state how Tyrantrum's ideal set-up opportunities are mostly on physical attacking pokemon such as Choice Scarf Braviary locked into Brave Bird, Fletchinder and Golbat. It can also be used as a decent wallbreaker if it isn't your win condition. For the Choice Band set, Tyrantrum is mainly used to wreck defensive teams as many pokemon in the tier can get 2HKOed or OHKOed by Tyrantrum's monstrous attacks. This set also appreciates being switched in safely via Volt Switch or U-Turn as it does not like taking unnecessary damage. It is also mainly used to break defensively-oriented teams.

Playing against Tyrantrum

I would say that Tyrantrum can easily be played around due to its pitiful special bulk and lackluster Speed, even when boosted with a Choice Scarf. Faster Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Hitmonlee, Flygon, Delphox and Rotom-C can threaten and revenge kill Tyrantrum easily due to its low Speed. Other sets of Tyrantrum are even more susceptible to revenge killers such as Mega Glalie, Virizion, Jolteon and Durant so make sure you are able to play around these threats. Having the ability to resist Tyrantrum's dual STAB move, Steel-types such as Mega Steelix, Cobalion and Registeel all only fear Superpower or Earthquake and can hit Tyrantrum with their Steel-type STAB move. The former two are able to setup on Tyrantrum with a Curse and Swords Dance respectively. Tyrantrum also struggles against physically defensive Pokemon unless they are facing the Choice Band set which can 2HKO most of them. Bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Quagsire, and physically defensive Seismitoad can tank any hit from Tyrantrum and potentially burn it with Scald. Bulky Ghost-types such as Jellicent and Cofagrigus can all also take a hit from Tyrantrum and proceed to burn it with Will-O-Wisp, which cripples it for the entirety of the match. Cofagrigus can turn Tyrantrum's ability into Mummy, which forces Tyrantrum to take recoil damage. Hitmontop is able to take a hit from Tyrantrum, thanks to Intimidate and its great physical bulk, retaliate with a STAB Close Combat. Tyrantrum can also be played around through figuring out what set it runs during Team Preview.

Get Out There!

Without a doubt, it is an undeniable fact that Tyrantrum is a top tier threat in RU that one has to prepare for. From Hyper Offensive to Bulky Offensive teams, Tyrantrum can fit in many playstyles. Players are heavily encouraged to try using Tyrantrum on a team as they would not regret it. So get on the ladder and start using the behemoth of RU.

Hope I get approval to write this article, but thanks anyway!

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
We already have an RU Spotlight being written for the upcoming issue, but I'd be willing for you to get access to write this for the next issue, waiting any necessary time for the metagame to shift around Tyrantrum (if applicable) in the next month so that your information is completely up-to-date by the time it's ready to be released.

atomicllamas Arikado Spirit ?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by me, Tyrantrum is a very prominent threat (A+ on viability rankings), and -kal- is a great C&C contributor so I trust he knows his stuff.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
cooool

Jellicent can give you access to the Workshop soon if you don't already, please keep unreleased articles private. you can join us for live chat in #thesmog on IRC as well, if you're so inclined. :]

also, try to aim to finish it around the middle-to-end of next month if you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)