RU Analyses Discussion Thread

Druddigon's analysis might need some SCMS edits; the analysis doesn't mention how Druddigon has fallen back in RU and way oversells it as a Pokemon. With the metagame focusing more on physical attackers such as Dark- and Fighting-types as opposed to special Water-, Grass-, Electric-, and Fire-type moves, Druddigon isn't as great as, say, BW, where it was the king/queen of RU. Electric-types can also Volt Switch out, Alomomola and Amoonguss wall Druddigon, and all of RU's Fire-types can 2HKO Druddigon with a neutral STAB move, which shows that Druddigon can't utilize its resistances as well as it would like. Granted, Druddigon is still great at what it does (wallbreaker/priority, rocker, special tank, phazer) but my main beef is that the Overview presents Druddigon as a Pokemon that has few flaws when it has a lot. Also, Weezing is in C&C for some reason and Durant should be taken out of C&C. I'm not sure if Druddigon deserves a full revamp since I have little actual experience with this guy in the current meta, but small parts of it should be rewritten.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/druddigon/

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Tangrowth's analysis might need some edits; it doesn't give a single mention of Venusaur giving it new competition for a Grass-type slot on teams due to Venusaur's extra Poison-typing giving it some resistances to types like Fairy and Fighting and giving it a good secondary STAB move, which Tang doesn't have. Also, in terms of sets, the EV spread for the Assault Vest is pretty bad imo, I think EonX's spread of 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD with a Relaxed Nature is a lot better as it helps Tang live more special hits from the likes of mons like Meloetta and Flygon, and gives him more physical defense to better check mons like Virizion (I think Aerial Ace as an option to lure in Virizion could be worth a mention too), but otherwise, the rest of the analysis is fine imo.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/tangrowth/

Tangrowth's analysis might need some edits; it doesn't give a single mention of Venusaur giving it new competition for a Grass-type slot on teams due to Venusaur's extra Poison-typing giving it some resistances to types like Fairy and Fighting and giving it a good secondary STAB move, which Tang doesn't have. Also, in terms of sets, the EV spread for the Assault Vest is pretty bad imo, I think EonX's spread of 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD with a Relaxed Nature is a lot better as it helps Tang live more special hits from the likes of mons like Meloetta and Flygon, and gives him more physical defense to better check mons like Virizion (I think Aerial Ace as an option to lure in Virizion could be worth a mention too), but otherwise, the rest of the analysis is fine imo.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/tangrowth/
Tangrowth is currently listed under high priority analyses that are available for reservation. There's a ton of things that need to be changed with it.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but seeing as quagsire is now in ou a lot of analyses have to be reworked/reworded. The ones I've seen are Malamar, Braviary, Emboar, Fletchinder, and Tyrantrum, but there are probably more.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but seeing as quagsire is now in ou a lot of analyses have to be reworked/reworded. The ones I've seen are Malamar, Braviary, Emboar, Fletchinder, and Tyrantrum, but there are probably more.
There's also still a bunch of Amoonguss mentions, like in Banette, Delphox, Aromatisse, and Mawile's analyses.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I think Gourgeist-XL's analysis is in need of a revamp because a fully physically defensive spread is better than the current onsite spread since even with the SpD investment Gourgeist is still 2HKOed by most special wallbreakers. (And it still loses to CM Virizion even with the investment) Some move choices are also rather odd since Leech Seed or Foul Play aren't listed and Fire Blast hits nothing but Escavalier right now. It also mentions some banned mons such as Mega Steelix so that's in need for a fix.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a nitpick, but the offensive granbull set should have 48 instead of 44 speed evs to outspeed standard camerupt pre mega evolution without risking a speed tie

I think Mega Banette definitely needs a new analysis. With the new meta coming into fruition, Mega Banette has gotten better in some areas and thus requires a new analysis. Specifically, I believe it now really needs Knock Off and Shadow Claw. I really think its a much different Pokemon now with a lot of other options.

Reactions: DTC

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I dont think it needs a new analysis but maybe editing to make it not sound like trash. Knock Off > SClaw is something I agree with.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Could Block Registeel get a write up? While I know it is pretty gimmicky it is actually pretty viable. First of all Toxic + Rest easily beats most defensive pokemon that aren't steel or poison-type (even then there are a few it can beat) and when combined with Block it legitimately eats stall from the inside out trapping the teams Wish passers and other Pokemon. Also unlike other lures, the targets of Block can only outstall Registeel. Meaning it is much more fullproof. Even when Block is revealed and they switch they are forced to stay in and can't attempt to pull doubles. You can switch to your counter without having to risk a double switch. Or in some cases sacrifice Registeel to get Dugtrio in. Mostly this set is limited to stall but balance can make good use of it to. Also I've been watching Dugtrio ladder a bit with this set (who has peaked #1) and it really pulls its wait. I think some other players have used this set to like DTC.

I've actually found one of Hoopa's UU sets (Substitute Attacker) to be quite effective in RU.

Substitute can easily be set up on most Special Attackers, and Substitute also helps patch up Hoopa's two biggest flaws: Awful Defense and nasty Pursuit/Sucker Punch weaknesses. It can then use Focus Blast to kill most of those pesky Dark types.

I think that for team options, it should mention answers to Drapion, since Drapion gives this Hoopa set big trouble.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Cofagrigus has some mistakes / outdated lines. Firstly under the defensive set's team options the previous writer said Cofagrigus has "mediocre at best" special defense which isn't true, even when uninvested 105 base is still good. That should be changed to special bulk which is mediocre because the low base HP. More importantly under other options Toxic Spikes and Pain Split is legal, contrary to the text, probably as a result of ORAS. In any case I've been using it on the ladder.

Because this is legal I think Hex is a strong choice over Shadow Ball on the defensive set if Toxic Spikes is used, which it should be generally since its a good move. But of course this is beginning to change the defensive set entirely now so if nobody wants to write it up then you should probably just change the other options legality issue only. This is particularly true because Toxic Spikes while just a single move change very much changes (and increases) the utility Cofagrigus offers.

Just thought I'd point this out so someone could change it / write it, I'm not volunteering myself.

But really the defensive set with Hex and Toxic Spikes over Shadow Ball and Haze respectively is very good because it can counter some common Defoggers (defensive Flygon) with its surprisingly good offensive presence while still being able to wall, spread status, set Toxic Spikes which sometimes is an autowin almost, AND spinblock. Basically it has a lot of utility and is only troubled by Pursuit traps + status + Spiritomb competition if its used on a proper stall team.

Here is a replay that I can explain if someone doesn't think they suggest Cofagrigus' worth.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-392488851

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Cofagrigus has some mistakes / outdated lines. Firstly under the defensive set's team options the previous writer said Cofagrigus has "mediocre at best" special defense which isn't true, even when uninvested 105 base is still good. That should be changed to special bulk which is mediocre because the low base HP. More importantly under other options Toxic Spikes and Pain Split is legal, contrary to the text, probably as a result of ORAS. In any case I've been using it on the ladder.

Because this is legal I think Hex is a strong choice over Shadow Ball on the defensive set if Toxic Spikes is used, which it should be generally since its a good move. But of course this is beginning to change the defensive set entirely now so if nobody wants to write it up then you should probably just change the other options legality issue only. This is particularly true because Toxic Spikes while just a single move change very much changes (and increases) the utility Cofagrigus offers.

Just thought I'd point this out so someone could change it / write it, I'm not volunteering myself.

But really the defensive set with Hex and Toxic Spikes over Shadow Ball and Haze respectively is very good because it can counter some common Defoggers (defensive Flygon) with its surprisingly good offensive presence while still being able to wall, spread status, set Toxic Spikes which sometimes is an autowin almost, AND spinblock. Basically it has a lot of utility and is only troubled by Pursuit traps + status + Spiritomb competition if its used on a proper stall team.

Here is a replay that I can explain if someone doesn't think they suggest Cofagrigus' worth.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-392488851
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cofagrigus-qc-2-3.3566614/

Here are the Amoonguss mentions I could find:

Alomomola: Grass types in the C&C section.
Blastoise: The Team Options of the Tank set. Grass types in the C&C section.
Rhyperior: Grass types in the C&C section.
Dugtrio: Grass types in the C&C section.
Virizion: The Team Options of the Swords Dance set. The very first things in the C&C section. Also mentioned in Poison types in the C&C section.

Random Mega Abomasnow mention:
Braviary: The Team Options of the Substitute + Bulk Up set.

I think the Braviary analysis could do with a revamp. The sets are fine, although the Overview mentions Tyrantrum and Mega Steelix, which of course have both been banned, and makes out that Braviary's a good Pokémon but is rather niche. Nowadays, it's a great mon in RU and is being considered for A Rank in the viability rankings.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here are the Amoonguss mentions I could find:

Alomomola: Grass types in the C&C section.
Blastoise: The Team Options of the Tank set. Grass types in the C&C section.
Rhyperior: Grass types in the C&C section.
Dugtrio: Grass types in the C&C section.
Virizion: The Team Options of the Swords Dance set. The very first things in the C&C section. Also mentioned in Poison types in the C&C section.

Random Mega Abomasnow mention:
Braviary: The Team Options of the Substitute + Bulk Up set.
On it, thanks.

@ Braviary: I personally wouldn't mind this since it did get quite a bit better with Mega Lix and Ttrum leaving. Not sure how the rest of QC feels tho.

Braviary's analysis has heavy mentions of both Tyrantrum and Mega Steelix, both of which have been banned. Braviary certainly has a lot less issues in RU with the two top Pokemon that gave troubles to it getting banned. If it is not in need of a revamp, it needs to be SCMS to remove mentions of these mons.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Alomomola analysis needs to be fixed? The main problem is in the team options section, where Amoonguss is mentioned as a great partner for Alomomola. Registeel is also barely in the team options section. The only thing it gets is a passing remark at the end about how Registeel and Bronzong can be good partners for Alomomola, which makes no sense as it's Alomomola's best partner. I believe that it needs to be fixed to fit the current meta.

I think someone should update the M-Rupt analysis. 248/176/84 is the recommended spread, SR should be slashed after Toxic (or remove SR completely), mentions Quagsire and Gastrodon on water checks without mentioning Slowking nor Blastoise, also mentions Vileplume, Amoonguss, Tangrowth and Shiftry in Team Options. Bold and Calm spreads should be removed or at least moved to Other Options, and finally it would be nice if it explains why Lava Plume is bad.

Hope this helps

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I think the Fletch evs might need to be tweak since the spd investment mivht need to be higher or lower to do the benchmark being worthless now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)