Reinstating the Smogon Tour

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
With the Smogon Shoddy Server forthcoming, the tour will be reestablished. It is obviously going to be different from before, being that we only have one generation at the moment, (NetBattle will not be used) so I'd like to start some discussion on how you guys would like to see things run.

As of now, I intend to continue with the format used in Season 5:

* Frequency: 2 contests per week - one Saturday night (I propose 8:00pm EST), one Sunday afternoon (I propose 2:00pm EST).

* Structure: 32 man, or 24 man if 32 players cannot be recruited. Single Elimination

* Point System: (assumes a win in the round listed)
32 man
R1 - 1
R2 - 2
R3 - 3
R4 - 5
R5 - 7

24 man
R1 - 1
R2 - 2
Round Robin Finals
Finalists - 4
Winner - 6

-3 points in all cases for leaving or being disqualified at the discretion of the host.

* General Rules:
  • You MUST battle with your Forum nickname
  • There are no subs
  • No stalling allowed (this means you are not allowed to take forever in between turns)
  • If you have won, you must PM the host of the tournament that you have won
  • No complaining during the tour about any rules or having bad luck
  • No hassling the hosts
  • If you join you must stay until the tour is over or until you lose
  • You must sign up on the forums
  • There is a 15 minute time limit per round. A host will enforce this rule, if you go past the limit the host will award the win to the person they think has the best advantage.
  • Breaking ANY rule is grounds for instant disqualification. Be sure to follow ALL rules. They are here for you to see, there are no excuses. If you break ANY of these rules you will be awarded -3 points for the week and you will not be allowed to join another tour for that week. If you break another rule you will lose 3 more points and you will be banned from entering the tour the following week.
  • PP Ups should be on by default unless BOTH players want them off.
  • No OHKO moves
  • No Evasion moves
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Freeze Clause
DP Specific Rules:
  • Abide by the Smogon Tier list
  • Anything else we decide.
I am also going to be looking for a minimum of 4 hosts who will commit to being present at tours on Saturday or Sunday. On-call hosts will be appointed from Smogon regulars who consistently play in the tour so that we never run into a situation where nobody is around to get things going.

So, please post your suggestions (start times, rules, etc.)! If you are interested in hosting, please post that as well... however I do not believe any decisions will be made about that right away.

Very excited to get this started up again!

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
This sounds awesome :D

I'll be willing to help out with anything! (hosting too if you guys need someone around india time or anything!)

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
I can always be around to host if needed.

Note: PP Ups being on or off is adjustable by each individual player in their own team builder, I don't think it needs to be claused.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What Aeolus actually means is that we want at least four extra people to help out as hosts since he's already got Groudon80 and myself as helpers. Though, your help will definitely be utilized, because I end up forgetting what time it is and it does not help at all. Dunno about Groudon80. Hey though, just be sure we're there and alive.

We can never have enough help though with live-action tournaments. What hell it was with the IRC Wi-Fi tournament (Yay Surgo).

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will be on most weekends at those given times, so rest a sure I will be available to help with hosting if needed.

Other than that offering I don't think there's any formats/rules that need to be instated, or atleast I don't think so anyway. I'm looking forward to this!

I'm also on a fair bit at weekends and am always willing to help.

No stalling allowed (this means you are not allowed to take forever in between turns)
Wouldn't it be simpler just to use the Timed Battle clause?

Yeah, I'm all for Shoddy's timer thing. Allows you to distribute the time taken for each move, while still penalizing you for taking ages.

I wish I had something more constructive to add but I'd just like to see it is really nice to see this rolling again.

I'd offer to host but I work pretty much every Saturday/Sunday during the summer so I probably won't be too useful here. The times should be pretty acceptable I think and it's definitely a good call not to use NetBattle, although not necessarily even for that reason alone - there will most likely be a good chunk of players who started competitive Pokemon with DP and thus wouldn't perform nearly as well with a four generational setup, so hopefully while it's just DP we can hook some of these people who might have ordinarily been scared off and once we have a simulator with multiple generations again hopefully the experience of playing in the tour they get will encourage them to keep playing.

Sounds great. Its good to see the Tour finally reinstated.

I'm online most of the weekends so I wouldn't mind helping out with hosting.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I will be able to help out with the tours on both Saturday and Sunday if Aeolus's proposed times go through. Glad to see this is coming back.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Can anyone think of a reason the times I suggested won't work? Saturday tournaments used to be held significantly later, but I don't see any reason to wait until 11:30 EST to hold the tournament.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I know NB isn't being considered, but is there the possibility of reviving the IRC bots for the Tour? Just a suggestion.

saturday night might be better if you go back to 9est as opposed to 8est, there's more likely for people to be on at that time, seeing as how they could still be eating dinner, out with family, random assorted things, hell even jobs that end at 6-7

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with 9 est being better for most people, though I won't be able to make any time regardless thanks to work. 2 PM Sunday seems perfect though.

The rules look good, but the No Stalling rule can easily be replaced by forcing Timed Battle to be on in all matches.

PP ups can be taken off, since they're on by default in the team builder, and each move is up to the user to manually change.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The further you push that time, the harder it is for Europeons (like myself) to compete. Honestly, is there a real significant difference between 8:00pm and 9:00pm?

Regardless, Sunday's 2:00pm start is fine.

I may be overestimating the popularity of DP compared to the past, but I think 32 people might be too little this time around, unlike before when no one wanted to play RBY or GSC.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I suppose the times are alright though I would like to see Sunday pushed back an hour or so later, because in my perspective the times seem pretty biased towards East Coasters; around dinner time, movie time, etc for Saturday and quite early on Sunday. I would like one time pushed back or even a mirror of the other day to allow for more international players to participate like 12pm and 12 am.

I have some interest in helping host, but its whatever my work schedule allows which hasn't been set in stone quite yet.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sounds awesome. I wasn't around for a Smogon Tour yet and I am looking foward to playing in this. The times look ok as well, but as zerowing said it might be better to push Sunday an hour back to either 8 EST or 10 EST. But either way is fine with me.

Aeolus

Bag
Honestly, is there a real significant difference between 8:00pm and 9:00pm?
Honestly, no. The fact that the suggestions being offered are 1 hour shifts validates the proposed times as acceptable in my view. Zerowing's suggestion of 12pm and 12am start times are the only significantly different ones... and I'm inclined to say no to those since neither is convenient for people in North America... our largest user base. In the past, we tried having three tours per week (one on Friday) to make things easier for European players... but it was a huge failure since, quite frequently, the tournaments did not reach capacity.

As for using IRC bots... I don't think that is a good idea. I'd wager that that majority of people who joined the competitive scene with the 4th generation have no conception of how the bots, or IRC even, work. I'd rather use NetBattle, and that won't happen.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm pretty pumped that this is back up, it will be a huge draw for the server, As aeolus is prolly already full aware, I would love to help out hosting.

Are we still allowing people to participate in both tours, taking their best score and using it? TBH I dont really think this system will work this time around, as there are a lot more people who would want to participate in these I would think than ever before. It also gives a huge disadvantage to people who will never be able to attend one of the two times (work schedules, timezones, etc) It would also suck if someone got to play twice while someone else didnt get to play at all, because they were one post too late.

I propose you can only play in one of the two.

PS: can we please complain about bad luck i love doing it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)