[RBY] Tradebacks

Tradeback: A Pokémon taught a move in a later game and traded back to the earlier game. Most notable in the first generation of Pokémon, where certain Pokémon could learn moves in the second generation which would augment their movepools.

Just contacted mingot, got permission to set this up. As we know, we have a tradebacks article already on-site, which you can view here. However, with regards to players who actually wish to play with cartridges, or like coming up with interesting movesets, it is quite useless. Hence this, a full, in-depth guide to tradebacks.
I intend to do this in two parts. The first part will outline what Pokémon acquire what moves, leaving no move out, for completion's sake. Even if a Pokémon merely gets the move Tackle, it will be listed. In addition, this part will have information on how one would go about getting these moves onto your Pokémon.
The Second part, which will be done hopefully with cooperation of some of the senior members and those familiar with the metagame, will be metagame impacts and uses of the moves. This will be the competitive aspect of this guide, and I intend it to replace the site's current guide on tradebacks. This will come much later and likely will be posted in the standard articles section.

Format of this post shamelessly taken from Malfunction's thread, because it's a great way of organizing this.

Project Outline

This will outline the various parts of my guide.

Introduction
What are tradebacks, why do we care, etc.

Move Distribution
Or who gets what. I will state only if pre-evolutions do not get the moves.
Ubers
Start with the easiest.
OU
UU
tl;dr: Competitive Overview
Just a brief look at competitive aspects that will be covered in the second part.

This is all. I'll finish what I have planned, before planning more. This is already a lot of work.

Introduction
Not done yet.

TMs

TMs will be prefixed with TM##. This is simple enough, just teach them the TM in GSC.

GSC TMs of moves that existed in RBY are:
TM02 Headbutt
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic*
TM14 Blizzard*
TM15 Hyper Beam*
TM22 SolarBeam*
TM25 Thunder*
TM26 Earthquake*
TM28 Dig*
TM29 Psychic*
TM32 Double Team*
TM33 Ice Punch
TM38 Fire Blast*
TM39 Swift*
TM40 Defense Curl
TM41 ThunderPunch
TM42 Dream Eater*
TM44 Rest*
TM48 Fire Punch

An asterisk denotes a TM that existed in RBY, but can only be taught to the Pokemon in GSC.

HMs

HMs will be prefixed with HM##. Again, simple enough, just teach the Pokemon the HM.

GSC HMs of moves that existed in RBY are:

HM01 Cut*
HM02 Fly*
HM03 Surf*
HM04 Strength*
HM05 Flash*
HM07 Waterfall

An asterisk denotes a HM that existed in RBY, but can only be taught to the Pokemon in GSC.

Move Tutors

Move Tutor moves will be prefixed with MT##. These moves can be taught in Goldenrod City for 5000 game coins after obtaining all 16 badges and defeating Red in Crystal version only.

MT01 Flamethrower
MT02 Thunderbolt*
MT03 Ice Beam*

Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are both taught from TM in RBY and will be marked with an asterisk if they are only obtained from Crystal.

Egg Moves

Egg Moves will be prefixed with EggM. They will have the Pokemon that can be bred with listed afterwards.

Level Up Moves

Level Up Moves will be prefixed with L###. Simply level up the Pokemon for them to obtain the move. L--- means that the Pokemon automatically obtains the move from level 1. Easiest way of acquiring these moves is by breeding.

Ubers

#150 Mewtwo

TM02 Headbutt
TM33 Ice Punch
TM41 ThunderPunch
TM42 Dream Eater*
TM48 Fire Punch
MT01 Flamethrower

Notes

Mewtwo doesn't really get anything of note except perhaps Flamethrower, for a 100% accurate alternative to Fire Blast; but this is first gen, and it would mean using a fire move. The punches are made useless by Mewtwo getting Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and of course the aforementioned Flamethrower. Dream Eater is useless as Mewtwo doesn't learn any sleep moves and by virtue of this being RBY.

#151 Mew

TM02 Headbutt
TM05 Roar
TM33 Ice Punch
TM40 Defense Curl
TM41 ThunderPunch
TM48 Fire Punch
HM07 Waterfall
MT01 Flamethrower

Mew, like Mewtwo, wishes it got decent tradebacks. Alas, the two ubers got little of use. Only things of note would be Flamethrower and Waterfall, except fire in Gen 1 is awful and Waterfall didn't flinch. I suppose Defense Curl can raise your defense, but Mew has better options.

Just noting some intersting things from the tradebacks article:

Persian with Hypnosis is great, as it is now the fastest sleeper in the game. It also, for whatever reason, gets amnesia, but its high speed leaves it unable to sweep effectively.

Aerodactyl now gets Earthquake, allowing it to fight Golem/Rhydon/Gengar more effectively (and Omastar).

As often noted, Alakazam gets Thunderpunch, which helps it deal with starmie.

Other Tradebacks:

Dodrio gets Quick Attack, which could help against Alakazam, and supersonic, for some reason.

Jolteon learns screech, which could help take out Alakazam?

Primape learns rock slide as well as meditate, which allows it to damage both flying types and gengar, as well as alakazam.

Machamp, which deals with gengar the best out of all the fighting types due to access to earthquake, also gets meditate.

Will post more later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)