Rating Basics

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey i've checked both of your rates.
In the first rate despite the team being more oriented to offense you still have to watch out for the defensive synergy, i saw you only suggest offensive change while you leave the team water weak as Azu cannot take hits well enough with a CB.
Also i think the format is good enough but it could be better, for example a more solid description for changes, or just simple said what you makes those changes, how it help the team and the downsides of it. For example the Azu change, you should mention that "with this change the team is more vulnerable to water types such as keldeo so be careful against those".
Another littel nitpick is you didnt mention the fairy weakness at all, even tho the switch skarmory dont pack a steel move. So my recommendation is you should focus more into the team or even grab the RMT and play a few matches so this way it's more easier for you identify threats.

Second rate is very similar too. You saw Scarf Azu and change it but you didnt explain to the guy why scarf isnt a good item for Azu, so this way you teach somebody else too.

Hope i help you and keep it up ! :toast:

H.M.N.I.P

https://youtu.be/pIr6TjG7Rko
is a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey everyone! I've just started rating seriously on this site last month, I would really love to know if my works are good so far: this was my first rate, then I've done a second one, and yesterday my last one. If there is something that could help me improving the level of my rates, please let me know.

Thanks so much in advance!:toast:

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone! I've just started rating seriously on this site last month, I would really love to know if my works are good so far: this was my first rate, then I've done a second one, and yesterday my last one. If there is something that could help me improving the level of my rates, please let me know.

Thanks so much in advance!:toast:
hey man thanks for this submit as is a great way to us for tracking new raters. First I've notice your effort in this rates which is the best part of it. Ill go rate per rate so it is more easier for you identify the problems.

First rate had really good format, and you didnt make any massive changes in terms of typing, as we're looking to maintain the idea of the user's team and just adjust some Pokemon to optimize the squad. The Medi change is very clear in term of moveset, but i think you should extend a bit more and why run Tpunch>zen; for example saying something like "YOur team doesnt handle bulky water pokemon to well, but has enough power to handle venu" as you said zen is for venu, and tpunch allow you to hit the all around check of Medi which is slowbro. I personally think that a sweeper should always run max speed because you wanna be as faster as you can to hit first of course. There's one part that you mention something bout reliable priority, and dont think priority is an obligation on your team, on top of that the team already had Talon which is the best priority mon tbh, also the team already handle diancie so i think the bp mention wasnt necessary there just because you can confuse the user. On the talon paragraph not much to say, just a few mistake i think, which is you mention medi needs a lot of support which isnt true, you just need something for sable and bro, so there you can mention the medicham's threats rather than say needs a lot of support. " Medicham struggle with sableye which talon can beat 1v1 with BU". And last the changes you made was good, as you identify a huge weakness wich is electric-types and add 2 ground types, however hippo being spD isnt good at all beacuse let the team weak to lopunny, being all the mons 2hko with rocks up.

Second rate was shorter that doesnt mean is bad at all dw. This rate feels like incomplete as you make some suggestion but didnt give a pokemon that help the team for the free spot. Also team wasnt entirely weak to weak, as Klef + Scarf rachi keep it in check. Another thing is the team is really weak to electric types as well, latias help with that but still are problem because latias lack recovery, so i think in this one you should focus more on synergy, and give a full suggestion which should include a mon for the free spot. Good format.

And third rate nothing to say, as it is basically sand offense.
Hope i help you and keep it up ! :toast:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey dudes, I just started rating teams and I find that I could be lacking in some areas. Here is one of my recent Rate so any advice at all regarding what I could do to improve them would be much appreciated.
I feel like my biggest issue is maybe I am afraid to change up a dudes team even if he is weak to something particular with what hes built.

edit: UU rates

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey dudes, I just started rating teams and I find that I could be lacking in some areas. Here is one of my recent Rate so any advice at all regarding what I could do to improve them would be much appreciated.
I feel like my biggest issue is maybe I am afraid to change up a dudes team even if he is weak to something particular with what hes built.

edit: UU rates
i think the first mistake you made was not replacing sylveon on this team. when you look at spike stacking offence you want to look at pokemon that provide as little breathing room as possible when it comes to hazard removal / control or you want a mon that's going to punish you for it (slurpuff / lucario are examples). sylveon is just giving free turns to the most common hazard removers in the tier in empoleon and tentacruel which is obviously detrimental as I'm sure you know. so i would have replaced this with slurpuff. the team lacked a good cleaner + win condition that punishes free turns being given to it and slurpuff is exactly that so even if your hazards do get removed you have a way to pressure the opposing team to a great degree.

I would have also replaced Blastoise with Taunt Mega-Aerodactyl. this way you retain your check to fire types but you also get another way of stopping hazard removal and some form of speed outside of scarf mienshao with is good. you don’t need a incredibly sturdy one as you have jellicent too. keeps mons like beedrill and celebi in check

scarf shao was fine but i'd have run poison jab over stone edge as you have ways of beating crobat and i think having ways of chipping at fairies is more important due to a lack of a fairy resist. along the same vein i think krookodile could afford to run iron tail > superpower as you'd be pressuring fairies yet again and luring stuff like whimsicott so slurpuff has a fun time. hydreigon isn't getting to many chances to do whatever it wants as it's a common switch in to knock off from krook weakening it, and it's also pressured by slurpuff, mienshao and aerodactyl.

colour jellicent was good and you were right about jellicent needing more speed but you gave it too much imo. 56 speed would have been sufficient as you would outspeed base 65s like alomomola and you already outspeed sylveon which is far more relevant than florges is currently. the extra bulk lets it check bulk up conkeldurr at +1

that's all i had to say as far as the rate itself goes but as a general thing you shouldn't be afraid of changing pokemon. from your rates i've seen that you often tend to just change the sets and if you think a particular pokemon fits better i don't think you should be afraid of making that change. your reasoning is concise which i like but for the sake of those whose teams you're rating being a bit more elaborate so they fully understand your thought process would be good. i know you know what you’re doing because you've been rating at a very good pace providing efficient well thought out rates and your set changes are usually on point so you should have more confidence in yourself to make more liberal changes. happy rating :toast:

if you have questions you know where to find me

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Made a rate this weekend in SM OU, I didn't have much time that day so it's one of my shorter ones. I think I covered the most important stuff though.
Just looking at it I saw that he runs AV Tyranitar which is not really a good set and Protect on Ferro (can be replaces with PWhip for Manaphy), which are pretty much wastes of Item or moveslots.

Then I noticed that he goes for a Zard-X sweep as a team goal, so he needs bulky Grounds and defensive walls weakend. I figured Band Tyranitar for AV fit and went for it, but to keep the balance suggested scarf Lele as a sweeper alongside Zard-X. Then some small move optimizations and an alternative version of the team which popped into my mind.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/earth-and-fire.3593394/#post-7208540

If you have some suggestions just lmk, I'd appreciate it, my SM knowledge is far from perfect :D

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys. mil suggested that I make a post like his above, as another way to give perspective on some things that might be helpful to newer raters.

I'll be referencing this rate which I did a few days ago.

I guess the first thing I wanted to say before getting into talking about the actual rate is that each person is going to have nuances to their own rating style. Understanding that is important to improving. Personally, I much prefer to rate teams that utilize a concept or core that I like, because it's more interesting to me and I often find myself more satisfied with the end result of the rate. Of course, there are times when pushing yourself to rate team concepts you don't vibe with as much can improve your outlook on teambuilding, but it is certainly more difficult. Anyway, I chose the team in the above rate because I thought his team structure looked pretty cool. Ash Greninja / Heatran / Venusaur / Tapu Koko is a pretty legitimate start to a bulky offense build and I was pretty sure I could give some solid advice as how to patch up some weaknesses.

Now, I knew in this rate I was gonna be suggesting a lot of set changes, because I felt like his sets could be improved. This can be one of the easiest ways to improve a team, since I didn't think that in this scenario, the non-standard sets he was using were key to surprising and defeating opponents. The main thing I was focused on was team composition though, because I noticed a few glaring weaknesses to rather large threats, such as Mega Metagross and Garchomp, which are both extremely common and powerful.

As I mentioned before, I think Ash Greninja / Heatran / Venusaur / Tapu Koko was the base I wanted to work with. There are some pretty strong synergies at work here, ranging from VenuTran to VoltTurn and also the "lure" (this is basically standard) of Grassium Z Heatran removing threats for Ash Greninja. So this meant I wanted to swap out his Tyranitar and Shuckle, which I felt were not very beneficial to the team in terms of either support or offensive pressure. The first move was to provide a ground immunity, to help against common Ground-type breakers/sweepers like Landorus-T and Garchomp. I felt like Skarmory fit the bill, because even though the advent of Z moves leaves it more vulnerable to these mons, it's still one of the best checks to them. It also has strong synergy with Mega Venusaur to form a bit of a defensive backbone, solidly checks non Thunder Punch Mega Metagross, and provides him a hazard removal option. For the last member, a Ground type is usually imperative to run with Skarmory to prevent Volt Switch spam. Choice Scarf Garchomp I felt was best, as it is an emergency check for threatening setup sweepers like Mega Charizard X and Volcarona. It also alleviates the Mega Metagross weakness a bit more, because at this point, half of the team outspeeds and threatens it. Overall I felt making his team a bit faster gave it the ability to apply more pressure, while Skarmory is a more solid defensive backbone 'mon than either Shuckle or Tyranitar

The last thing I did was offer some alternative options to my primary suggestions, because I think rates are never an exact science, and providing other options for someone to try out is usually a good idea. Having more ideas of things to try out is imperative to team building - you can rate a team on paper over and over again, but ultimately the final nuances of changing a good team to an even better team comes down to play testing and to fully understand the team functionality.

I'm of course open to some constructive criticism as well, since I thought this sounded like a cool exercise and am happy to share some of my thoughts how I went about a rate.

e: this came out longer than expected o.o

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi all, we decided that we'll use this thread to collect our TR rates!
You can post your rates too even if you're not badged. Our goal is to have an extensive collection of solid example rates.
Whenever our badged raters think that a rate deserves it, they'll do a short post, in which they link their rate and talk about what they did to make the team better, how they went about it, what resources they used, how they managed time, etc. So it's basically a short summary of the rate, with a bit more background info. That way newer raters know when a TR rated a team and can find the rates quickly to read them, and people who want to learn a tier or upgrade metagame knowledge can also benefit.

Bludz and I did a post already, but you can be more casual in your post too if you want, for example what you did before or after the rate or how your day was :D

Here's my last rate. We needed a volunteer for our OU rating league, and I'm trying get used to the meta more, so I decided give it shot and participate. This rate took me a bit more than usual, but I enjoyed the process. The first thing I noticed was the teams passivity, I felt like the team needed more momentum or means to punish opposing momentum orientated teams. Rocks on Marowak freed a slot on Skarmory for Spikes to punish voltturn teams, while an offensive set on Marowak can exert more offensive pressure. After some thinking I dediced Dugtrio fit the bill, it revenges almost all relevant problematic mons and supports the team immensely by trapping key threats which give the defensive and the offensive part of the team trouble. When testing the team I was quite happy with how the mons worked together, but it's difficult to consistently win games with a balanced team in a meta with so many dangerous mons.

As for resources I used the SM viability ranking thread to check if I forgot to cover threats and the thread for speed tiers to give arguments for more speed on some mons. If you have suggestions on it, lmk!

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi all, I've made a UU rate yesterday, unfortunately, it was really short. Anyway, I would post it here because I want also improve my quality in this tier. First of all, I have identified the threats as Alakazam (especially life orb variant), Reuniclus, Gengar, and Chandelure. To answer these stall breakers, I settled on SpD Mandibuzz over Forretress, which is a really cool in my opinion. it removes hazards as well as Forretress can, but the only difference is that Mandi can remove hazards against ghost types like chandelure and Gengar, another option that i've suggested was using foul play over taunt to deal better with sd gliscor and scizor. After that, I've changed the Blissey set. CM plus shadow ball was not the best set around, then I've opted for the classic set with thunder wave over toxic, in order to cripple mega aero and Cobalion. secondly, I've changed the clefable spread in order to deal better with choice band Zygarde 10% and Krookodile, after that, I've changed the Amoonguss spread in order to take choice specs primarina psychic and outspeed uninvested base 30 speed pokemon such as Reuniclus and CM Slowbro. If you guys have suggestions let me know! :toast:http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/unaware-to-haters.3595760/#post-7233291

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi guys, my boy mil encouraged me to post my rate for the UU league finals so here I am :D I know ORAS UU is a dead meta but I'm posting more to convey my thought processes behind how to deal with certain threats and try to efficiently improve the team's performance without compromising its main focus, which as we all know can be really difficult to achieve as raters. Especially when the team in question is built by master Hogg and is as flawless as it is.

This is hogg's RMT for reference:

Hi man! This is a really solid team. I love the offensive core of Specs Hydrei and Scarf Infernape, and Specially Defensive Forry + Wish Alomomola complement each other excellently and cover most of the metagame's main threats very well.

There are, however, a few issues to consider. First of all, the team's sole Fighting-type resist is Whimsicott, which isn't very bulky and struggles against particularly strong wallbreakers like Mienshao, Heracross and Conkeldurr. Furthermore, there is already enough pressure on Whimsicott with it being tasked to deal with Dark-types, Ground-types and Dragons as well. While Mola can take on most Fighting-types by itself thanks to Scald and Wish, Hera's and Conk's access to Guts makes them two of the few offensive Pokes in the tier who actually enjoy facing Mola. Mola also faces trouble reliably switching into Mienshao's insanely powerful HJK with hazards down. The other Pokemon all struggle to switch into Fighting-types as well, especially with Forry's lack of defensive investment and Mega Swampert's lack of a recovery move. The team also does not have a Toxic Spikes absorber or a cleric, meaning that the effectiveness of Mola will be drastically reduced if Forry fails to keep them off the field and Mola is poisoned as a result. Considering how much the team relies on Mola to blanket check many offensive threats, I think this is a pretty serious worry. Keeping all of this in mind, I would like to suggest trying Nidoqueen over Mega Swampert. Nidoqueen handles Fighting-types very well with its solid bulk and good typing, provides the team with a TS absorber and a better option than Forry to deal with Fairies, while still maintaining Mega Swampert's ability to hit like a truck albeit from the special side. The moveset I'd suggest is the following:

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt

Speed EVs are important to get the jump on Suicune. LO is necessary to secure the 2HKO on Bulk Up Conkeldurr with Sludge Wave and for Thunderbolt to have a shot at 2HKOing Suicune as it boosts up. With Spikes and SR up, both are pretty much guaranteed. Ice Beam is still an option thanks to its great coverage with EP, but the importance of Thunderbolt in hitting Suicune and other Waters, something I'll be going into more detail later, can't be understated here. The only significant Pokemon you're truly losing out on hitting is Gligar I believe, which the team doesn't worry too much about regardless.

What you lose out on by running Nidoqueen is a resistance to Fire and a powerful physical attacker. With Hydreigon, Mola and Infernape I think the team is already well-covered against the likes of Entei, Infernape and Mega Houndoom. Losing out Mega Swampert's physical prowess is definitely a blow, but Nidoqueen still provides a ton of wallbreaking power and will perform similarly effectively against bulky teams that lack Blissey. Blissey itself is mere setup bait for Forry and can be taken out by Infernape and Hydrei's Focus Blast with hazards down. Nidoqueen also does give an additional Water weakness, but again with Hydrei, Mola and Whimsi you already have them handled decently. Besides, Nidoqueen's access to Thunderbolt actually makes it more of an asset rather than a liability against bulky Waters. Overall, I believe the benefits that Nidoqueen provide make it a worthy alternative over Mega Swampert.

The team's matchup against bulky Water-types, Suicune and Milotic in particular, can be quite troublesome as well. Suicune's ability to boost its Special Defense and Milotic's naturally high base stat in that department make it increasingly difficult for Hydrei to break through them, while Whimsicott is a shaky check at best to both as it can be worn down by Scald. Infernape and Mega Swampert also lack the firepower necessary to beat them. Slowking and Mega Blastoise cause similar problems but are more easily dealt with thanks to the former's vulnerability to Dark Pulse and the latter's lack of recovery. I think that running Toxic on Alomomola over Healing Wish can improve the team's performance against these Pokemon significantly. Toxic completely cripples Milotic and pressures Suicune enough to allow Whimsicott to take easy advantage of it with Encore. Toxic also makes Alomomola a much more formidable opponent against opposing Hydreigon and physical sweepers like Mega Aerodactyl, Mienshao or Mega Swampert, as it now has a much easier time stalling them out rather than having to rely on a Scald burn. Healing Wish is a cool move for sure and can come in handy at times, but apart from Hydrei, the team sorely lacks firepower and the pressure that Toxic puts on the opponent makes it a worthwhile option in my opinion.

My final suggestion is a more optional recommendation of Giga Drain on Whimsicott over Tailwind. This is more down to my personal preference because I enjoy the additional pressure Giga Drain applies on Suicune and other Waters. Because without GD, once Suicune is locked into a move there isn't much at all that Whimsicott can do to harm it, and the same goes for Milotic and Slowking. And especially if Whimsi is burned, it will be defeated eventually. With GD, Whimsi can stay healthy enough to force Suicune out and eventually defeat it if it comes down to it. GD also has the added benefit of keeping Whimsi healthy enough to continuously check threats like Hydrei, Krookodile and Conkeldurr throughout a match without needing to rely on Mola. Similar to the previous change, the downside is that the team loses a handy move in Tailwind, but which again is not something that will often make or break a game. With Toxic though I feel the team's matchup against Waters is vastly improved anyway, so if you do opt to go with Toxic then GD is less of a necessity.
  • Mega Swampert -> Nidoqueen to deal with Fighters better and provide a TS absorber
  • Alomomola: Healing Wish -> Toxic to deal with bulky Waters better and make it less passive overall
  • (Optional) Whimsicott: Tailwind -> Giga Drain to pressurise Suicune more and keep Whimsi relatively healthy
Great job with the team, and I hope my suggestions help!

Firstly I identified the main idea behind the team as explained in the RMT, which I concluded to be Specs Hydrei abusing Spikes backed by a solid defensive core and Scarf Ape to clean. I think every rate should start off with this, so that you can base your suggestions around improving the team's execution of the idea. Mola is a Poke not often seen on such offensively inclined teams but it fit in perfectly here with its ability to pivot into and blanket check so many threats while keeping the rest of the team healthy.

Now successful teams like this have few apparent flaws and initially I wasn't going to suggest Pokemon changes at all, since they are better off left alone due to the synergy in the team. Given how crucial Mola was to the team though, I identified the lack of a Toxic Spikes absorber as a pretty serious concern. Even with Forry there to spin, it isn't the most reliable due to its subpar bulk, lack of recovery and inability to do much vs spinblockers. As outlined in my rate, another issue was that Whimsicott the only Fighting resist and given its own frailty, it wasn't the most reliable check to them, especially since the team already relied on it to check many other threats.

So while the above two points were major factors behind my suggestion of Nidoqueen, another one was that the team collectively didn't actually rely too much on Mega Swampert. Sure it's a great individual Pokemon and it filled out the team nicely with its role as a Stealth Rocker, Mega Poke and a hard-hitter besides Hydreigon, but it wasn't that crucial to the team's overall performance. So I looked for a change that could perform in a similar capacity to it while solving the issues I pointed out before, and Nidoqueen perfectly ticked all of the boxes. So I think the important point to take from this is to not be afraid of making major changes even if the team you're rating is excellently built, but be sure to consider that the Pokemon you're replacing isn't the team's main focus or one that is very crucial to its goal. And if it is crucial, then be sure that your replacement can ideally perform as well as the previous Poke did in its role, while solving the team's issues.

My next suggestion made because I felt the team's matchup against bulky Waters was still quite poor despite Nidoqueen's access to Thunderbolt, and I felt that replacing Healing Wish on Mola with Toxic would work out better for the team in the long run. In hindsight though as Cynde pointed out in his analysis, HW was probably more crucial to the team in practice than I gave it credit for at the time as it would allow him to play more recklessly with Hydrei. In the end rating is purely theoretical and I couldn't be sure how the team would perform against Waters in reality but I considered certain situations in my mind, like Suicune being able to boost up against almost every member of the team or Milo simply being able to spam Scald, and I felt that the problem against Waters was crucial enough to warrant the change, while HW was something that the team could live without.

Giga Drain over Tailwind was an optional suggestion of mine because I felt the team could still work effectively without it and TW is one of those moves that can completely turn the game, but I think it was a solid enough option to consider due to how crucial it was for the team to keep Whimsi healthy. Another method of offense against Waters and in particular Suicune was nice too. Besides, providing alternatives for people to try out can never hurt!

Anyway that's it, hope my insight turns out to be useful to some of you guys :)

Am trying to get better at rating teams. Competent team rating, convoluted. Less about chemistry, more about art.

Tried rating for this person (is my first target). Felt team rating could use improvement. Explanations lacking, I think.

Suggestions appreciated.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello all, after several months of inactivity, i want to post here one rate i've made today. I'll show you my rating process, at first, this team was really weak to mega garde and mega altaria because it was lacking safe switch ins for the coverage that both these Pokemons runs. To handle these threats i've replaced empoleon with Z-Happy Hour Jirachi, which is a really solid answer for the aforementioned threats, also is able to check weavile, terrakion, scizor, and to break fat walls like alomomola or quagsire thanks to Energy ball. in my opinion, jirachi is a very cool addition to handle a bit webs HO teams, since it can force out many setters like shuckle and smeargle. After that, i've changed Electrium Latias with Choice scarf which provides to be a really good revenge killer for stuff like mega latias, scarf hydreigon,+1 haxorus, also i've suggested to use ice beam on Scarf Latias in order to threaten Gliscor and mega Altaria.

My next suggestion made because I felt the team's matchup against mega manectric was really difficult especially (mega manectric+pursuit trapper), to solve this problem, i've replaced krookodile with swampert, swampert not only provides a defensive mega aerodactyl, cobalion and terrakion switch in, it can also be useful in many match ups thanks to the 4th slot you are running, ice beam is very good against mega sceptile and gliscor, next option is counter, which could be very important against mega Beedrill or Weavile match ups, at last i've suggested Toxic, that cripple bulky waters likes slowbro, rotom-w, alomomola and dragons like Latias and hydreigon.

As final suggestion i've suggested using pain split over thunder wave on rotom-w because it helps to improve a bit the fat pokemon's match up since you can heal it against blissey or snorlax really easily.

That's all for now. Suggestions will be highly appreciated thanks! :toast:

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello everyone,

I rated this team yesterday. When I looked at the team, I first noticed that it was built around Rock Polish Mega Diancie, and used Spikes to wear down Diancie checks, while also having strong wallbreakers which could abuse its checks. However, I noted that one particular threat in Mega Venusaur was tricky for the team to deal with, as Pokemon like Heatran could not pressure Earthquake sets. Additionally, I noted that the team relied on Landorus-T as a Scarfer, making it prone to Volcarona which outspeeds it after a Quiver Dance, and that the team relied on Bulu as a Grass, making it prone to Specs Koko and Rain teams. I aimed to make the team more solid in its goal by adding ways to pressure Mega Venusaur.

My first reaction was to add a more durable grass in Ferrothorn, which also freed up the spikes slot, at the expense of some wallbreaking power. I compensated for the loss of wallbreaking power by suggesting Firium Z Heatran, which could also surprise Mega Venusaur due to the variable damage of the Z Move. This did replace Stealth Rock, so I added them on Mew, as I noticed that the team did not need hazard removal as it had Spikes to pressure the opposing team, no Stealth Rock weaknesses, and Toxic Spikes was not too pressing of a concern, due to a lot of immunities in the team itself.

I then decided to tackle the Volcarona matchup. I swapped the Scarfers in the team, opting for a Scarf Greninja which outsped Volcarona and Swampert, and made it an offensive Landorus-T, which acted as a secondary breaker and further added pressure on steels and Mega Venusaur. Lastly, I noticed that my rate increased the pressure the team had on HP Fire targets like Ferrothorn severely, so I felt that my opponent no longer needed HP Fire on Diancie, with most members pressuring HP Fire targets, so I thought the team could possibly run Earth Power, which would also help vs Toxapex which got Toxic Spikes and was annoying.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments about my rate, and feel free to talk to me about it!

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello everyone,

I rated another team here . This team was extremely solid imo, and I just wanted to make a couple of tweaks. When I first saw the team, I noticed how it somewhat relied on Volcarona to win, and that was why it was annoyed by teams with Toxapex, since it was Z Bug Buzz. In the end, I decided on tweaking the Bulu set and adding Substitute to not be pressured by Pex, and just annoy teams with Pex due to Leech Seed being pesky and bluffing an SD set, to have a more solid gameplan. While this Bulu set change is minor and Pex still remains an issue, I really did not want to make any large changes to a team which was well thought out, since there werent any simple one-mon changes I could make.

The other thing I did was running HP Fire on Diancie. This also somewhat ties in to the previous goal, since it needs less chip on Celesteela helping it break CelePex cores, since Zyg coould gain chip on Mew, while Diancie needs minimal chip to 2HKO SpD Pex, and could simply aim to put in in Volcarona range as well. However, the main reason I added this was because Rocks Ferrothorn had a pretty good matchup against the Defogger, while Defensive LandoT had not, while a Volcarona team wants to pressure Stealth Rocks as much as possible, while merwely hitting Defensive LandoT, a mon which disliked the chip anyway due to Band Zygarde in the back, was less important imo.

Feel free to talk to me about my rate, and suggestions are highly appreciated! :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)