Pelipper (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Scald
- Tailwind

The obvious rain setter with the sweet pivot u-turn and tailwind to outspeed any scarf switch in after the u-turn , scald for the stab and the burn chance , hurricane for 100% accuracy abuse ,bulky hp and spd evs so he can stand up to almost any spa atack except the eletrics that ohko him ,when a eletric type or a stone edger switch in i dont even waste using tailwind and just u-turn him

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

i was using kingdra but it felt very low damage output, got checked many times by fairy switches and missed so many win/lose hydro pumps that i decided to bring on this beast to team, max spa and spe investment and a rain dance in case of pelip dies he beyond being a nice check to tornadus, thundrus and landrous can output good damage with life orb and deal with bulky water walls, i just can trust his damage and his checks in the field

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leechseed
- Gyro Ball
- Powerwhip

my favorite wall alongside the weakned fire,he can just be there and tank it all , beeing checked by some kartanas and some hawluchas but in almost cases he can set the rocks or force trade with leechseed and is a sweet counter to fairys since my team has no steel moves except for the 5 gyro balls ,i fell confortable by his barbs and helmet is so much damage to pyshical sweepers tryng to get trought him

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

my bulky monster sweeper , in rain its absurds speed alongside pelips tailwind outspeeds anything almost , having ice punch checks any grass type trying to stop him and the superpower is for the ice or ferrothorns that usualy thinks he dont have it,the waterfall and earthquake stabs and the plus damage on rain waterfall hits really hard on any fire ground or rock and any pokemons that is neutral to water

Rotom-Wash @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 184 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Pain Split

this was the most question of the entire team , tapu koko, heliolisk or joelteon , i just searched more and thought why not a anti-ground bulky and good pivot for my eletric rain abuser?? , beyond being a good pivot he can nuke toxapex with zmove or just regular thunder deals massive damage as is stab move hitting 100% on rain ,and a 80% chance of a hydro stab rain move on anyone??? i definitely take that risk

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Defog

the monster cockatoo with beast stab 100% hurricane,superpower for ferrothorn and other metal or ice checks (focus blast misses so much) an fast taunt if first switch after pelip tailwind and a good defog to clean all the mess on the field after all enemy checks are down,the bulky investment alongside a good speed make him a wallbreaker an a hurricane spammer thanks to his balanced attack and spattack

Last edited:
Hey FordMaverick! Rain is a very viable team style in SM OU and there are many variations of rain that exist. I'll try my best to help you make a better team while not re-create a pre-existing popular rain team.

Some threats:
  • Mega-Alakazam can easily reverse sweep this team once Ferrothorn is chipped enough or dead by copying Swift Swim from either Ludicolo or Swampert, then proceeding to be a potential late game sweeper. There's not really a true switch in to Mega Alakazam with this team, AV Tornadus-T still takes a lot from Terrain boosted Psychic and cannot revenge kill it if the Alakazam is running recover.
  • :Kyurem Black: Kyurem-Black is always a big threat to rain, it can just lead and click Icium Z, Ice Beam or Fusion Bolt and just tear apart Rain. The lack of recovery on Ferrothorn that isn't from leech seed can make it easier for other Pokemon to take advantage of a chipped defensive core like fast psychics previously mentioned(Mega-Alakazam, Tapu Lele).
  • :Hoopa-Unbound: There are no switch ins to a choice banded Hyperspace fury and there is no dark resist too, choice specs Hoopa can also be a problem too but can be dealt with better because of Tornadus-T's Assault Vest.
  • :Hawlucha: Hawlucha is a big threat against this team, especially once it gets it's speed boost from Unburden. Nothing is outspeeding Hawlucha on this team and there is no priority to revenge kill it, unless there is a tailwind up. But if there is no tailwind and once Hawlucha gets a +2 boost from Swords Dance it looks like it is game over as it just clicks Acrobatics and High Jump Kick to sweep.
Some problems:
  • Hazard Control: There's no hazard removal because Tornadus-T has an Assault Vest not allowing it to Defog.
  • Rain Longevity: Pelipper does not have roost which makes it harder for rain to last longer after you first set it up. Pelipper needs recovery in order to have rain up longer. Ludicolo also doesn't have much chances to set up Rain with a Rain Dance too since it's modest and can be easily outsped by a lot of threats.
  • Psychic and Water resist has no recovery item: Ferrothorn has no reliable recovery outside of leech seed on this set, making it easier for opposing rain teams and psychic spam teams to win as Ferrothorn is not gaining back any HP when it gets chipped unless it clicks leech seed.

Pokemon to Switch out/Major Changes:

:Choice Specs:
>:Life orb: :Ludicolo: : Ludicolo doesn't hold the same offensive presence as Ash Greninja, with Ash Greninja it has a higher damage output on water resists and pokemon in general as it has a higher base Special Attack in regular form and from Battle Bond. It doesn't have Swift Swim access like Ludicolo but a choice specs Ash Greninja is always a threat once it comes in. Yes it does do less vs. Fini but the access to Water Shuriken priority also makes it easier to sweep against Mega Alakazam(no psychic terrain)x Hawlucha and chipped scarf Kartana in the rain which this team was previously had a hard time dealing with(Alakazam and Hawlucha).

:Fairium Z: :Tapu Koko: > :Electrium Z: :Rotom Wash: : Rotom-Wash isn't really common on rain teams, it's more geared towards bulky offense volt turn teams that use it as a defensive pivot. Tapu Koko is a very strong Pokemon as it helps out against matchups against Zapdos which can be very annoying for rain teams to play against and it can launch of strong 100% boosted Thunders in the rain to heavily chip AV Magearnas as well. I also am suggesting the set to be Fairium Z, or Z-Dazzling Gleam because Rain always has a hard time against Kyurem-Black leads which can just lay off a Subzero Slammer and always get a free kill against Rain. Tapu Koko also chips Ferrothorn and can get rid of Defensive Rotom-Wash and Tapu Fini, which makes it easier for your Mega-Swampert and Greninja to sweep. Tapu Koko can also be used to check Hawlucha against HO teams. Hoopa-Unbound isn't as much as problem anymore either as we have a somewhat decent check to it with Tapu Koko and you can always roost to regain HP back if they decide to switch out.

Suggestions to sets:

:Pelipper:
Pelipper runs a certain ev spread that is made so it can take hits from a +2 Hawlucha and a Supersonic Skystrike from Landorus while taking Solar beam damage comfortably from Zard-Y. Tailwind doesn't really help any of the other mons on this team as you're already relying on Swfit Swim for the speed boost. Roost should be run over tailwind to gain back recovery and make sure rain stays up for longevity. Also run Defog over Hurricane as it's better that Tornadus-T can taunt a slower Pokemon like Tapu Fini which can get rid of your hazards then U-turn out into another Pokemon to force a switch.

:Tornadus Therian: :Rocky Helmet: > :Assault Vest:

Tornadus-T's set shouldn't be Assault Vest with Defog and Taunt as that prevents you from defogging, I'm not sure if that was a typo with the Assault Vest, but it's much better to run Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T'. Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T allows for you to switch in against Kartana and put it into chip damage for another Pokemon to either outspeed and kill it with Swift Swim or die from a priority Water Shuriken. I'm also going to be suggesting to run U-turn > Defog simply to pivot out into either a more defensive option on your team to either set up the hazards with Ferrothorn or remove them with Pelipper. You can also U-turn out into one of your sweepers as well on a more passive pokemon.

The one minor change I have for Mega Swampert is to make it Substitute over Superpower. I'm suggesting Mega-Swampert to have substitute to deal with Mega-Alakazam, since once Ferrothorn is chipped or dead and if regular specs Greninja doesn't get all the hits with Water Shuriken to kill Zam there's not much stopping Mega-Alakazam from copying Swift Swim and reverse sweeping. Mega Swampert behind a substitute is also good against Rotom-Wash who can be annoying for this team, as you can sub on a Will-O-Wisp in rain and then get a Adamant rain boosted waterfall off to wear it down even more. Getting a Substitute off against Toxapex or Celesteela which have a hard time getting rid of the sub is nice for Swampert to sweep as well.
:Ferrothorn: :iapapa berry: > :rocky helmet:
I am just changing the Ferrothorn set to max special defense investment with Max HP investment instead of both invested into Defense & Special Defense. The max HP and the 232 Special Defense EVs allow you to take more hits from opposing strong water types on other teams like Ash-Greninja, Kingdra and an unboosted Manaphy. The 232 Special Defense EVs allow Ferrothorn to make sure that specs Ash Greninja Dark Pulse does not 3HKO from max HP. The rest of the investment goes into taking a Supersonic Skystrike from Gyarados. Gyro ball is good for getting rid of fast psychic types like Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam which this team can struggle with. The nature is also Sassy now as you do more damage output with a - Speed nature, while still being invested into Special adefense. Iapapa berry is the choice of item as it makes it easier for Ferrothorn to take more hits from opposing threats like strong water types like Ash-Gren and Swampert and psychics as well. Ferrothorn can even switch in at certain percentages to active the Iapapa Berry if hazards are up on your side. Ferrothorn longevity is more valuable than Rocky Helmet chip on Kartanas and Bulus, as we know have a Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T instead. This Ferrothorn is dual hazards as we just previously removed Stealth rocks from Mega-Swampert and it's better if you can just spam hazard stack with Ferrothorn than get off a leech seed when Ferrothorn is on rain teams. Hazard stacking makes it easier for other Pokemon to be in range of a specs Hydro Pump from Greninja and Mega Swampert's earthquake and waterfall ranges.

Here is the new team:

https://pokepast.es/06eab7996d8bf5ca

Last edited:
Hey FordMaverick! Rain is a very viable team style in SM OU and there are many variations of rain that exist. I'll try my best to help you make a better team while not re-create a pre-existing popular rain team.

Some threats:
  • Mega-Alakazam can easily reverse sweep this team once Ferrothorn is chipped enough or dead by copying Swift Swim from either Ludicolo or Swampert, then proceeding to be a potential late game sweeper. There's not really a true switch in to Mega Alakazam with this team, AV Tornadus-T still takes a lot from Terrain boosted Psychic and cannot revenge kill it if the Alakazam is running recover.
  • :Kyurem Black: Kyurem-Black I'd always a big threat to rain, it can just lead and click Icium Z, Ice Beam or Fusion Bolt and just tear apart Rain. The lack of recovery on Ferrothorn that isn't from leech seed can make it easier for other Pokemon to take advantage of a chipped defensive core like fast psychics previously mentioned(Mega-Alakazam, Tapu Lele).
  • :Hoopa-Unbound: There are no switch ins to a choice banded Hyperspace fury and there is no dark resist too, choice specs Hoopa can also be a problem too but can be dealt with better because of Tornadus-T's Assault Vest.
  • :Hawlucha: Hawlucha is a big threat against this team, especially once it gets it's speed boost from Unburden. Nothing is outspeeding Hawlucha on this team and there is no priority to revenge kill it, unless there is a tailwind up. But if there is no tailwind and once Hawlucha gets a +2 boost from Swords Dance it looks like it is game over as it just clicks Acrobatics and High Jump Kick to sweep.
Some problems:
  • Hazard Control: There's no hazard removal because Tornadus-T has an Assault Vest not allowing it to Defog.
  • Rain Longevity: Pelipper does not have roost which makes it harder for rain to last longer after you first set it up. Pelipper needs recovery in order to have rain up longer. Ludicolo also doesn't have much chances to set up Rain with a Rain Dance too since it's modest and can be easily outsped by a lot of threats.
  • Psychic and Water resist has no recovery item: Ferrothorn has no reliable recovery outside of leech seed on this set, making it easier for opposing rain teams and psychic spam teams to win as Ferrothorn is not gaining back any HP when it gets chipped unless it clicks leech seed.

>:Life orb: :Ludicolo: : Ludicolo doesn't hold the same offensive presence as Ash Greninja, with Ash Greninja it has a higher damage output on water resists and pokemon in general as it has a higher base Special Attack in regular form and from Battle Bond. It doesn't have Swift Swim access like Ludicolo but a choice specs Ash Greninja is always a threat once it comes in. Yes it does do less vs. Fini but the access to Water Shuriken priority also makes it easier to sweep against Mega Alakazam(no psychic terrain)x Hawlucha and chipped scarf Kartana in the rain which this team was previously had a hard time dealing with(Alakazam and Hawlucha).

:Fairium Z: :Tapu Koko: > :Electrium Z: :Rotom Wash: : Rotom-Wash isn't really common on rain teams, it's more geared towards bulky offense volt turn teams that use it as a defensive pivot. Tapu Koko is a very strong Pokemon as it helps out against matchups against Zapdos which can be very annoying for rain teams to play against and it can launch of strong 100% boosted Thunders in the rain to heavily chip AV Magearnas as well. I also am suggesting the set to be Fairium Z, or Z-Dazzling Gleam because Rain always has a hard time against Kyurem-Black leads which can just lay off a Subzero Slammer and always get a free kill against Rain. Tapu Koko also chips Ferrothorn and can get rid of Defensive Rotom-Wash and Tapu Fini, which makes it easier for your Mega-Swampert and Greninja to sweep. Tapu Koko can also be used to check Hawlucha against HO teams. Hoopa-Unbound isn't as much as problem anymore either as we have a somewhat decent check to it with Tapu Koko and you can always roost to regain HP back if they decide to switch out.

Suggestions to sets:

Pelipper runs a certain ev spread that is made so it can take hits from a +2 Hawlucha and a Supersonic Skystrike from Landorus while taking Solar beam damage comfortably from Zard-Y. Tailwind doesn't really help any of the other mons on this team as you're already relying on Swfit Swim for the speed boost. Roost should be run over tailwind to gain back recovery and make sure rain stays up for longevity. Also run Defog over Hurricane as it's better that Tornadus-T can taunt a slower Pokemon like Tapu Fini which can get rid of your hazards then U-turn out into another Pokemon to force a switch.

Tornadus-T's set shouldn't be Assault Vest with Defog and Taunt as that prevents you from defogging, I'm not sure if that was a typo with the Assault Vest, but it's much better to run Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T'. Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T allows for you to switch in against Kartana and put it into chip damage for another Pokemon to either outspeed and kill it with Swift Swim or die from a priority Water Shuriken. I'm also going to be suggesting to run U-turn > Defog simply to pivot out into either a more defensive option on your team to either set up the hazards with Ferrothorn or remove them with Pelipper. You can also U-turn out into one of your sweepers as well on a more passive pokemon.

The one minor change I have for Mega Swampert is to make it Substitute over Superpower. I'm suggesting Mega-Swampert to have substitute to deal with Mega-Alakazam, since once Ferrothorn is chipped or dead and if regular specs Greninja doesn't get all the hits with Water Shuriken to kill Zam there's not much stopping Mega-Alakazam from copying Swift Swim and reverse sweeping. Mega Swampert behind a substitute is also good against Rotom-Wash who can be annoying for this team, as you can sub on a Will-O-Wisp in rain and then get a Adamant rain boosted waterfall off to wear it down even more. Getting a Substitute off against Toxapex or Celesteela which have a hard time getting rid of the sub is nice for Swampert to sweep as well.
I am just changing the Ferrothorn set to max special defense investment with Max HP investment instead of both invested into Defense & Special Defense. The max HP and the 232 Special Defense EVs allow you to take more hits from opposing strong water types on other teams like Ash-Greninja, Kingdra and an unboosted Manaphy. The 232 Special Defense EVs allow Ferrothorn to make sure that specs Ash Greninja Dark Pulse does not 3HKO from max HP. The rest of the investment goes into taking a Supersonic Skystrike from Gyarados. Gyro ball is good for getting rid of fast psychic types like Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam which this team can struggle with. The nature is also Sassy now as you do more damage output with a - Speed nature, while still being invested into Special adefense. Iapapa berry is the choice of item as it makes it easier for Ferrothorn to take more hits from opposing threats like strong water types like Ash-Gren and Swampert and psychics as well. Ferrothorn can even switch in at certain percentages to active the Iapapa Berry if hazards are up on your side. Ferrothorn longevity is more valuable than Rocky Helmet chip on Kartanas and Bulus, as we know have a Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T instead. This Ferrothorn is dual hazards as we just previously removed Stealth rocks from Mega-Swampert and it's better if you can just spam hazard stack with Ferrothorn than get off a leech seed when Ferrothorn is on rain teams. Hazard stacking makes it easier for other Pokemon to be in range of a specs Hydro Pump from Greninja and Mega Swampert's earthquake and waterfall ranges.

Here is the new team:

i really was missing a lot of it , this team never faced a hawlucha neither a mega alak, now i understand better my mistakes , and what could happen if i actually faced one of those.. , i really aprecciate the tips , going to take advantage of the mods on the mons you advised me to

Some threats:
  • :Kyurem Black: Kyurem-Black is always a big threat to rain, it can just lead and click Icium Z, Ice Beam or Fusion Bolt and just tear apart Rain. The lack of recovery on Ferrothorn that isn't from leech seed can make it easier for other Pokemon to take advantage of a chipped defensive core like fast psychics previously mentioned(Mega-Alakazam, Tapu Lele).
Some problems:

Suggestions to sets:

Here is the new team:

sorry to call you again but i jus wanted to people who sees this take a tip for my experience with this team, i just switched tapu koko for thundurus and the volt absorb ability acts like a pinch, very predictable against thunder punch dragonites , or volt switch scarf xukitree , baits anything almost and total immune to ground , but this also makes the team very succetible to stone edges or rock slides , in all cases its a very pivoting battle against any rock type on the other team, but i've win much more with this tiny change i've made from RyanSlayer117 modded team hope anyone seeing this try it

sorry to call you again but i jus wanted to people who sees this take a tip for my experience with this team, i just switched tapu koko for thundurus and the volt absorb ability acts like a pinch, very predictable against thunder punch dragonites , or volt switch scarf xukitree , baits anything almost and total immune to ground , but this also makes the team very succetible to stone edges or rock slides , in all cases its a very pivoting battle against any rock type on the other team, but i've win much more with this tiny change i've made from RyanSlayer117 modded team hope anyone seeing this try it
I was just going to say to add thundurus-t lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)