[QC Ready 2/3] Vivillon

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

screw your chespin with roll out

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Compoundeyes + Sleep Powder + Hurricane</li>
<li>Quiver Dance</li>
<li>Better stats than Butterfree</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Poor defensive typing</li>
<li>x4 SR weak</li>
<li>Frail defenses</li>
<li>Unremarkable without QD boosts</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Vivillon @ Leftovers / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Compoundeyes<br />
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP<br />
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Quiver Dance<br />
- Sleep Powder<br />
- Hurricane<br />
- Substitute / Bug Buzz</p>

<p>Compoundeyes is a great ability to abuse Sleep Powder, which can essentially guarantee Vivillon a free turn to Quiver Dance. Hurricane also gets an accuracy boost, and goes well with QD. Substitute is preferred for dodging status and easing prediction against Grass-types switching in to absorb Sleep Powder. Speaking of Grass-types, they need to be wary of STAB Hurricane, especially when boosted. If you opt for secondary STAB, change item to LO for more power. It's possible to run Energy Ball in the final moveslot if you're looking for coverage against Water / Ground-types.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Lots of things. SR is the biggest one. Physical attackers don't have to deal with SpD boost of QD and can usually plow right through. Rotom-W and other Volt Switch abusers can gain momentum off of Vivillon. It's slower than base 100s, so anything above that speed benchmark can go straight for the KO.</p>

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you can keep Stealth Rock out of the way, you probably can mention Focus Sash since... well...

...I honestly don't see this thing lasting long against any attack anyway!

Energy Ball can also be a big help for Vivillon as it gives it coverage against Rock, Ground and Water, which it can't cover otherwise (Solarbeam, lol).
Energy Ball also has 90 base power now, which makes it even more useful as a coverage move.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Two more.

EDIT: Yeah, Vivillon would love to run Energy Ball. But what would it replace? It needs QD and Sleep Powder, and any secondary attack should be its other STAB: Bug Buzz. It's a case of 4MSS. I'd mention it if we had Other Options, but we don't in these previews.

I would personally use Energy Ball over Sleep Powder since I really like the coverage.
I don't really like to count on Sleep Powder, as it is random how long the effect will run, but that's a personal taste :)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You can just give it a small mention in the set comments without slashing it in the main set Birkal.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, pretty straightforward. Put pros and cons into full sentences.

POOR BUTTERFREE 2/3

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)