[QC READY 1/3 Magneton]

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Keep me away from Route 13, please

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Like Magnezone, it traps and eliminates opposing Steel-types.</li>
<li>Solid 120 base Special Attack.</li>
<li>Fast enough to do its job with a Choice Scarf notably better than Magnezone could.</li>
<li>Many useful resists help make up for low bulk.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Relatively frail, especially compared to Magnezone.</li>
<li>Still outsped by most any other boosted Pokemon, so it's not a reliable revenge killer.</li>
<li>Thunderbolt and Hidden Power are less powerful than before, which is somewhat more noticeable with Magneton's Special Attack than it is with Magnezone's.</li>
<li>Very shallow movepool.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Choice Scarf<br />
move 1: Thunderbolt<br />
move 2: Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire<br />
move 3: Flash Cannon<br />
move 4: Volt Switch<br />
ability: Magnet Pull<br />
item: Choice Scarf<br />
evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)</p>
  • Choice Scarf Magneton outspeeds threats that Magnezone cannot, namely Starmie, (fast) Talonflame, Weavile, Noivern, Greninja, Alakazam, Hawlucha, Mega Absol, and Mega Houndoom.
  • Thunderbolt for STAB, Flash Cannon for Fairy- or Rock-types, Volt Switch for scouting, and Hidden Power for coverage against either Dragons or Steels.
  • Hidden Power Ice is preferred on Magneton since it is very useful against Dragon-types who Magneton can outrun when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Instead, Hidden Power Fire is an option as a Steel-trapper, although damage has been weakened to the point that if under Rain, Ferrothorn isn't even 3HKOed and bulky Scizor might not even be 2HKOed. Magnezone will be better for this role most of the time.
  • Especially if (but not only if) running HP Fire, can eliminate Steel-types as always for Pokemon such as Garchomp, Salamence, Scizor, and Cloyster.
  • Not a reliable revenge killer, since it will be slower than almost anything on your opponent's team that has boosted speed. Sticky Web can help remedy that against grounded threats.</p>
[Checks and Counters]
  • Grounds, Hippowdown especially
  • Generally any bulky thing that can hit back, like Goodra
  • Pink Blobs
  • Basically all other Scarfers or things even faster than Scarf Magneton, like Mega Gengar or Aerodactyl

Last edited:

Epikhairz

Anything goes
<p>name: Choice Scarf<br />
move 1: Thunderbolt<br />
move 2: Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice<br />
move 3: Flash Cannon<br />
move 4: Volt Switch<br />
ability: Magnet Pull<br />
item: Choice Specs<br />
evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)</p>
0.o

• Basically all other Scarfers or things even faster than Scarf Magnezone, like Mega Gengar or Aerodactyl
do you mean Magneton here?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do you think maybe HP Ice should be the main slash? Because it's a Timid Choice Scarf set, it makes a decent revenge killer for Dragonite and Gyarados. Honestly, only really Ferrothorn and Scizor are hit harder with HP Fire than another move, so I'm just wondering what you think about making it the secondary slash.

As Halcyon said, make hp ice the primary option as your primary objective is to revenge kill and not trap which is magnezones job.

Approved 1/3

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK sounds good. I tend to prefer to keep Fire personally, but I'm totally fine with Ice slashed first.
(I just tend to run Magneton with a second Scarfer always anyway, since it's not a reliable revenge killer. So Scarf Keldeo means no Ice needed on Zone, etc. But again, it's fine.)

I've actually been running Scarf Magneton for this entire generation and I am not even slightly disappointed in it. The ability to outrun and OHKO Talonflame while x4 resisting Brave Bird is incredibly useful with how common it is still able to trap and OHKO 252 HP/4 SpD Scizor guaranteed with HP Fire after Stealth Rock and guaranteed 2HKO with Thunderbolt(also with rocks, 94.1% chance otherwise) and it needs to be 252/252 to even hope to survive HP Fire when running Adamant(93.8% chance of OHKO), and with Stealth Rock it is still guaranteed OHKO. Of course it still destroys Skarmory, like Magnezone.

One thing that I have never seen mentioned anywhere is that Scarf Magneton still outruns Mega Lucario and does a minimum of 66.2% with its Thunderbolt(it does more than HP Fire) but if Lucario has used Close Combat, that minimum increases to 99.2% which basically means Lucario is a goner if Magneton gets in on it after that has happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)