Pyukumuku Discussion

So ever since they announced this guy I always saw him as a switch in sacrifice. i.e. ______ Pokemon is at x health and you know its going to attack this turn. drop in this guy with max hp stat and NOTHING in Def or Spe Def not even IVs and let innards out do the rest. it would be a great way to garrentee a kill on a tough mon

Singles set this thing probably isn't anywhere close to being OU, but I'm sure whatever tier it ends up in it's going to be beloved as a landmine/wall. Personally, I appreciate that it's at least versatile. You could run a counter/pain split set to force out non-substitute sweeper. You can also run it as a stally-mon if you weren't particularly worried about taunt. But the real kicker is the support this cutie can bring to doubles:

Pyukumuku @ custap berry
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP, 248 whatever defence you prefer, 8 speed (purely to outspeed other Pyukumukus with no speed investment and maybe the odd Munchlax if the opponent is feeling as crazy as you).
-Pain Split/Counter (again this is up to you but pain split is better for recovery and special attackers, counter is a much better KO chance if you've invested in special defence)
-Purify/Whatever screen you prefer (Probably take purify if you're going with counter just in case you need the recovery)
-Psyche Up
-Baton Pass

This set is by no means a very powerful set, but being high tier isn't everything and it'll be pretty fun when it works. I went with Innards Out but Unaware could work too. Send it in alongside a setup 'mon and get off your boost of choice (let's say white herb shell smash) followed by same turn Psyche Up (thank you 5 base speed). Next turn either your Pyukumuku is in good shape (great!) or it's almost dead (Awesome! Custap Berry lets you go first!) Baton pass your stats to another scary 'mon. Purify, should you choose to use it, can clear up any nasty burns or paralysis (though this is one of the few occasions where Pyukumukus speed works against it).

Alternatively this set is versatile enough that you can send it in alongside a toxic orb guts sweeper. The guts sweeper hits with a toxic boosted move, and then your immensely slow Pyukumuku uses Purify to cure the toxic (Alolan speed stats are the real MVP here) and restore its own health. End of turn toxic orb re-applies but deals no damage to your sweeper that turn. Because turn 1 toxic tick is so small you can even miss a turn of purify to set up screens or pain split every so often.

Naturally the set is countered by taunt, and Pyukumuku isn't invincible especially if it gets double focused so you need to make sure your sweeper is putting in work too. I like this 'mon. It feels like it really has its own identity and it'll add another splash of variety to whatever tier it ends up in.

Singles set this thing probably isn't anywhere close to being OU, but I'm sure whatever tier it ends up in it's going to be beloved as a landmine/wall. Personally, I appreciate that it's at least versatile. You could run a counter/pain split set to force out non-substitute sweeper. You can also run it as a stally-mon if you weren't particularly worried about taunt. But the real kicker is the support this cutie can bring to doubles:

Pyukumuku @ custap berry
EVs: 252 HP, 248 whatever defence you prefer, 8 speed (purely to outspeed other Pyukumukus with no speed investment and maybe the odd Munchlax if the opponent is feeling as crazy as you).
-Pain Split/Counter (again this is up to you but pain split is better for recovery and special attackers, counter is a much better KO chance if you've invested in special defence)
-Purify/Whatever screen you prefer (Probably take purify if you're going with counter just in case you need the recovery)
-Psyche Up
-Baton Pass

This set is by no means a very powerful set, but being high tier isn't everything and it'll be pretty fun when it works. I went with Innards Out but Unaware could work too. Send it in alongside a setup 'mon and get off your boost of choice (let's say white herb shell smash) followed by same turn Psyche Up (thank you 5 base speed). Next turn either your Pyukumuku is in good shape (great!) or it's almost dead (Awesome! Custap Berry lets you go first!) Baton pass your stats to another scary 'mon. Purify, should you choose to use it, can clear up any nasty burns or paralysis (though this is one of the few occasions where Pyukumukus speed works against it).

Alternatively this set is versatile enough that you can send it in alongside a toxic orb guts sweeper. The guts sweeper hits with a toxic boosted move, and then your immensely slow Pyukumuku uses Purify to cure the toxic (Alolan speed stats are the real MVP here) and restore its own health. End of turn toxic orb re-applies but deals no damage to your sweeper that turn. Because turn 1 toxic tick is so small you can even miss a turn of purify to set up screens or pain split every so often.

Naturally the set is countered by taunt, and Pyukumuku isn't invincible especially if it gets double focused so you need to make sure your sweeper is putting in work too. I like this 'mon. It feels like it really has its own identity and it'll add another splash of variety to whatever tier it ends up in.
"Landmine"

I don't think I've ever heard a more accurate description of how Pyukumuku is supposed to be played, anyway, does Counter interact with Z-moves at all?

"Landmine"

I don't think I've ever heard a more accurate description of how Pyukumuku is supposed to be played, anyway, does Counter interact with Z-moves at all?
Counter + Fightium-Z = 100 BP All-Out Pummeling.

And Counter should work if the user is hit by a Physical Z-Move.

Not gonna lie, I got a great laugh when I saw this thing's movepool. I really must applaud Game Freak for sticking so firmly to its passive theme.

Would a Mental Herb be at all useful for its held item? It looks like the very definition of Taunt bait to me.

Not gonna lie, I got a great laugh when I saw this thing's movepool. I really must applaud Game Freak for sticking so firmly to its passive theme.

Would a Mental Herb be at all useful for its held item? It looks like the very definition of Taunt bait to me.
Maybe, but you'd have to predict the Taunt and counter with your own Taunt, or else there isn't really anything stopping them from just Taunting again.

I just wished it got shitty defenses then it would be the perfect fodder Pokemon with Innards Out why is GameFreak ruining my plans ;-;
Look at this perfect set:

Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Toxic / Scald
- Recover
- Scald / Protect
- Counter / Taunt

I know it looks like a really dumb set, but I think this works really well as a counter to setup sweepers. Rocky Helmet deals damage to anything that makes Physical Contact, and if Pyukumuku manages to faint Innards Out can deal tons of damage to sweepers since most has almost no investment in HP. The moveset would be Toxic, Recover, and Protect to stall if the opposing Pokemon can't manage to faint it or chooses not to or Scald as an alternative to burn steel and poison types, counter if Pyukumuku manages to survive a physical attack (tbh would have been better if it got Light Screen to avoid physical contact) or Taunt to prevent opposing Pokemon to use Toxic on it. Also, Recover is really useful because it makes sure Innards Out will deal damage equal to at least half of Pyukumuku's HP or stall Physical Attackers out with Rocky Helmet. Obviously it has max HP to get as much damage off using Innards Out as possible and despite its terrible speed, I gave it max speed with Hasty nature to be able to Taunt as many Pokemon as possible to prevent itself from being Taunted or Toxic poisoned itself, but Max SpA with Mild nature could be used instead to get max damage off of scald and 0 IVs on defenses because it needs to faint as much as possible. This can actually be useful in some situations like:

(Note that since Pyukumuku is used as a fodder Pokemon it is successful when it faints and OHKOs to it at full HP will deal 314 damage with Innards Out)

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyukumuku: 369-437 (117.5 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Thundurus has 299 HP

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 490-577 (156 - 183.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Pinsir has 271 HP

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 379-447 (120.7 - 142.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Charizard has 297 HP

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Probopass: 327-385 (104.1 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Dragonite has 323 HP. It will faint due to rocky helmet damage.

+2 44 Atk Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Probopass: 195-229 (62.1 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Does not kill, but Counter will do a shit ton of damage

These are only a few of the many possibilities Pyukumuku can switch into, but overall, I think that Pyukumuku has a special position in the meta where it's best function is a fodder or suicude mon, and I am really excited to use it competitively.

It doesnt even gets scald
At least it gets toxic

Maybe soak to convert steel and poison types to water so it can toxic it? idk It's moveset does not matter to me cause this is mainly used as a suicide pokemon

Maybe like this:
Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Toxic
- Recover
- Soak / Protect
- Counter / Taunt

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This thing is so bad that it's literally a meme. The best I can come up with for is this:

Pyukumuku @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Purify (Z-Purify = +1 to all stats)
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Toxic / Curse / Safeguard / some other filler that you'll never click

EVs balance defenses while leaving SpD one higher than Def for P2/PZ's download. Maybe putting it with def being one higher is an option while Genesect is still legal.

i think we should probably accept the fact that taunt is the ultimate downfall of our boy pyukumuku and just assume we're eliminating taunters before really getting pyukumuku into play. like honestly I see no way out aside from slapping it on a trick room team.
also, I ran some calcs on all-out pummeling 100bp and counter against different prominent offensive mons (that I should probably go fetch) but it's only really doing 50% after a curse or 2.
i still have faith in ol' namakobushi though

Man, this is so depressing. I was excited for this, even without seeing its ability. But... good Arceus, I could not have been more let down.
The niche for this pokemon will be extremely small. Its HP stat is too low to effectively use Innards Out, so Unaware is the only option, which might seem decent for set up sweepers. But if the sweeper has a poison or steel typing, Pyu is literally worthless. Against anything that ISNT a set-up mon? Literally worthless. I guess Game Freak just wanted a pokemon to perfectly fit what wallbreakers do best against.

Create a Pokemon that attacks in the most heavy metal way possible.

Can't actually attack.
And this is precisely why I'm pissed about them making this the joke pokemon. Like, you can't give it Green-Lantern-esque punches and then only give it counter. C'mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)