Mudsdale @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Mudsdale and Silvally are powerful wallbreakers which also serve as checks to some of PU's most dangerous Pokemon. Aggron, Gurdurr, Skuntank, Lycanroc, Regirock, Primeape, Scyther, and Togedemaru. The offensive coverage of Ground and Fairy types hits most Pokemon for neutral coverage, barring Weezing, Bronzor, and Oricorio-Fire I guess, none of which are particularly difficult to handle through prediction and the use of coverage moves. Parting Shot takes advantage of Aggron and Mawile switches, preserving momentum and softening blows for Mudsdale. In turn, Mudsdale can punish the opponent's attempts to keep up with Stealth Rock.

Qwilfish, Basculin, Weezing, weather and Bronzor cause trouble for this core, but these two are pretty difficult to switch into consistently. Additional partners like Healing Wish Specs Mesprit can patch up most of these holes while providing a check to Poison types.

Last edited:
Offensive core

Raijū (Manectric) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Switcheroo

Weatherman (Exeggutor-Alola) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Leaf Storm
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain / Dragon Pulse

This is a really good wallbreaking core since Electric and Grass-types have really good type synergy. Scarf Manectric is one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier (even outspeeding AlolaSlash under hail) and checks Flying-types like Oricorio-G and Scyther. Alolan Eggy can come in on a Volt Switch and go for Specs Draco or Storm, utterly wrecking the opponent's Pokemon. If it's obvious that something like Mudsdale or Quagsire is coming in, Manectric could just hard switch into AlolaEggy. In return, Manectric can swap in on a resisted Flying-type move and pivot out again with Volt Switch. Basically, Manectric provides the speed and AlolaEggy provides the power, putting a lot of offensive pressure on the opposing team.

dibs

double iron bashes
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi team, i've updated the cores thread at long last!

To make sure that I didn't miss reintroducing any old cores that are now legal due to drops I went through all of the posts and made an archive for the outdated cores. It also made me realise that the thread has been pretty dead, so please feel free to post some more up to date cores.

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
Some cores I've been using recently
(the explanations might be subpar because I'm bad at explaining lol)

Offensive cores

CBF93027-A5B3-4C71-A2F0-452A432E3FED.gif
+
8F58FD72-8306-4824-BDB2-B9E21D3C69E7.gif

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance

A pretty simple core, Stoutland weakens Regirock and takes care of Lanturn, Eelektross and special walls in general for Pom-Pom, while Pom-Pom takes adventage of Gurdurr who tends to switch into Stoutland when healthy or like other annoying Fighting-types. Aggron is kinda annoying for this core so a check like Mudsdale is appreciated.

7AA5F43A-270B-46C9-86C3-195BB1458A33.gif
+
2A6BD706-06F0-4199-B911-1F72FBC44101.gif

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot

This core is one of my favourite to use due to how well these complement each other. Common switch-ins to Primeape are pressured by Pom-Pom, like Jelli and Mesprit and Pom-Pom can even set-up on them. Primeape just has to U-turn on the predicted switch for Pom-Pom to get in safely. Primeape pressures Audino and Regirock, which Pom-Pom appreciates. Primeape also has the bonus of acting as a secondary Lilli check in case you screw up with Pom-Pom.

C848A2A0-BD1E-4338-90B0-FCC387661B28.gif
+
7927DF35-B740-41D5-87E5-5527AA51D687.gif

Exeggutor-Alola @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Draco Meteor
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

The idea behing this core is pretty simple. Togedemaru invites Mudsdale, Gurdurr, Sableye and other physically bulky mons, which all hate Alolan Exeggutor. Togedemaru just has to click U-turn to provide Alolan Exeggutor a free switch-in. Togedemaru also provides speed control and an Ice check.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Offensive Core

+
+

Dodrio @ Flyinium Z / Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot

Persian-Alola @ Life Orb / Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Parting Shot
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

or

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Toxic

Wow a post from me what a rarity! Anyway, saw the thread had no cores involving Dodrio, so I decided to drop my own. The main thing that holds back Dodrio are Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and while Dodrio does get access to Jump Kick, it would much rather spam its dual STAB. Primeape works great here weakening or getting rid of Rock- and Steel-types altogether with Close Combat while also providing momentum with U-Turn. Ghost-types such as Froslass and Jellicent provide problems for both as Dodrio has to risk a speed tie with the former and can't knock out defensive variants of the latter without an SD boost. Hence A-Persian pairs very well here handling both with Dark Pulse on the first set and the bulkier set being able to Taunt Bulky Froslass and Jellicent although Specs Jellicent is still a issue if you go with bulky A-Persian hence why i added the NP variant as well to better nuke offensive Jellicent with Dark Pulse. Regardless of which variant you choose, it forms a Volt-Turn core with Primeape and allows Dodrio to set up a SD on foes at -1.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hey all! I noticed my silly friend Qaugsire isn't in any cores yet :pikuh:
Defensive Core
+

Cuno Quag
Quagsire (M) @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Curse
- Earthquake

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic / Defog / Heal Bell

Articuno and Qaugsire successfully create a defensive core that isn't easily broken thanks to their overwhelming synergy with each other. Articuno is able to threaten and stall a multitude of passive pokemon in the tier such as Audino, Clefairy, and Quagsire. Moreover it is able to patch up, to an extent, Quagsire's overwhelming weakness to Grass-type attacks. In return Quagsire is able to act as a sponge for physical damage successfully discouraging physical attacks. Furthermore, becuase of Quagsire's Ground-typing, Electric-type attacks don't tend to threaten Articuno as much. In addition, Quagsire is able to shut down most set up sweepers thanks to its ability, Unaware, and its access to Toxic.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
In addition to the Quagsire cores; here is one of that is very useful.

The Blues

+

Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Knock Off

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Curse

It's a balance/defensive core where Quagsire and Alolaslash complement each other well by taking on each others weaknesses. The core also blanket checks the majority of the meta. It's fun to use, it's blue and enjoy.

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
Hi this thread is really dead, so I decided to share some fun cores I've been using recently uwu

Offensive cores

+
38D8FF08-43E5-43FF-B68F-1BD554DF3348.gif

Victreebel @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Strength Sap
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fighting

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

This core is pretty fun as Victreebel's checks, such as Articuno, Type: Null, and Audino are easily dealt with with Stoutland while Stoutland's checks like Regirock, Mudsdale, and Gurdurr are food for Victreebel. Victreebel also has the bonus of checking dangerous Fighting-types for Stoutland while Stoutland can Pursuit trap faster stuff that threatens Victreebel like Froslass.

+

Lilligant @ Grassium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

So this core is pretty similar to the above. Stoutland invites stuff like Regirock, Mudsdale, and Tangela, Pokémon that this Lilligant set use as setup fodder, as it's not even bothered by Toxic. In exchange, Stoutland deals with Articuno and Altaria and can even deal with Oricorio-E if Stoutland is healthy, these Pokémon all being huge roadblocks to Lilligant.

+

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock

Froslass @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Offensive Rocks Lycanroc is a Pokemon I've been enjoying lately due to its ability to pressure most removers, ranging from Skuntank to Snowslash. A Pokemon that I think works especially well with it is Froslass. Froslass + Lycanroc is a fun hazards stacking core on offensive teams and I found this core really effective at stacking hazards and they complement each other really well offensively. Froslass blocks Rapid Spin and can prevent the use of Defog thanks to Taunt. It also pressures stuff that Lycanroc struggles against, such as Claydol. It also helps Lycanroc break through stuff like Regirock and Gurdurr thanks to its Spikes. In exchange, Lycanroc completes the hazards stacking cores and can beat stuff Froslass can't break like Audino and Articuno.

+

Primeape @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Fighting spam is an interesting concept and from my experience, it's pretty fun. The concept is pretty simple, weaken Fighting checks such as Mesprit, Oricorio-E, Mudsdale, Silvally-Fairy with Band Primeape and clean with Gurdurr. Band Primeape is actually a formidable breaker, as it 2HKOes most Fighting checks by just spamming Close Combat, which is why Band is preferred over Scarf or Fist Plate.

+

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Return
- Knock Off

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Acid Spray
- Taunt

Skuntank and Dodrio work pretty well together since they have similar checks, which means they can weaken their checks for eachother. Skuntank provides invaluable Defog support for Dodrio and also weakens Regirock and Mudsdale, notably, for Dodrio to clean late-game. Dodrio provides some speed to this core and it also acts as a cleaner and can Knock items like Regirock and Mudsdale's Leftovers, making it easier for Skuntank to wallbreak.

Balanced cores

+

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Acid Spray

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Eel + Mes provides teams with a good slow voltturn core, which allows wallbreakers like Stoutland and Aurorus to get in safely. Mesprit can check some physical attackers such as Primeape and Gurdurr while Eelektross can check threats that give Mesprit a hard time, such as Oricorio-E and Frosttom.

9C9837F6-D970-4A86-8FC0-20DA621A633A.gif
+

Skuntank @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

I was quite surprised when I saw that this wasn't already in the archives (unless im blind), as Skuntank and Mesprit form a very solid core. Mesprit can set Stealth Rock while Skuntank can remove them. Mesprit checks Fighting-types like Gurdurr for Skuntank while Skuntank can Pursuit trap Ghost-types like Haunter that give Mesprit a hard time.

Defensive core

+
+

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Mesprit + Snowslash + Lanturn complement each other pretty nicely defensively. Mesprit checks Fighting-types like Gurdurr and Primeape for Snowslash and it can also come in on predicted Ground moves thanks to Levitate. In exchange, Snowslash checks stuff like Aurorus and non-Fire Blast Skuntank. Finally, they both form a solid hazard control core, with Mesprit setting rocks while Sandslash can remove them. Lanturn here brings a non-Taunt Oricorio-E check, and if it is Taunt, it's walled by Snowslash. It also brings a secondary check to stuff like Aurorus and Poliwrath and, most importantly, a cleric. It also completely shuts down Rotom-F, which is otherwise a nuisance to this core and Volt Switch pairs pretty nicely with the Rocks Mesprit sets. Overall, this is a pretty solid defensive core due to it covering most of the metagame and creating a lot of 50/50s with common dangerous Choiced Pokémon, such as Stoutland, Aurorus, and Primeape.

This is longer than I expected but enjoy ! :toast:

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have some current meta cores for you - a handful of these were never posted for some reason despite being super common. Anyway, enjoy!

+

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 88 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Power-Up Punch
- Return

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Frustration
- Jump Kick
- Brave Bird

A pretty simple, yet effective type spam core: PuP Kangaskhan brings in and pressures the Pokemon that prevent Dodrio from cleaning with Brave Bird or Frustration, like Regirock, Quagsire, Aurorus, Alolan Sandslash, etc., enabling it to lock into its STABs reliably late-game.
20 Spe EVs let Kangaskhan outspeed Modest Aurorus, Jolly Aggron, 128 Spe Hitmonchan, and 176 Spe Timid / 252 Spe Modest Jellicent, either hitting them with PuP, or using Substitute before being statused. The Defense and HP investment prevent its Substitute from being broken by Quagsire's EQ:
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Kangaskhan: 87-103 (21 - 24.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

+

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Facade

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Double Dog should be old hat by now, but I thought the thread should at least have this one featured. Here's an extra brief description since everyone knows what it does: Lycanroc is an excellent wincon that can sweep unprepared teams, bypassing Choice Scarf users other than Primeape via its SD-boosted Accelerock, but it really struggles to do much versus Pokemon like Regirock, Gastrodon, Quagsire, Mudsdale, Gurdurr, etc.
Stoutland forces all of these in and causes enough damage so that Lycanroc's boosted Splintered Stoneshards will be enough to KO them on the next switch-in. Add some solid counterplay for Primeape and Gurdurr, and you're golden.

/
+

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb

or

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Focus Blast

or

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

or

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

+

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head / Rapid Spin / Substitute / Knock off
- Earthquake

I couldn't believe it, but no one posted any standard hail cores here either. There are a lot of different configurations you can run, but Choice Scarf Aurorus + Icium Z SD Vanilla Slice™ with Rapid Spin tends to be my go-to. These Pokemon bring a lot of utility to the table, letting them fit on either Offense or Balance: CS Aurorus covers for the rain matchup with its STAB Freeze-Dry hitting everything slower on rain when hail is up (except for Floatzel), while Alolan Sandslash removes SR for Aurorus and Abomasnow and becomes a terrifying sweeper when their Snow Warning activates its Slush Rush. Offensive Alolan Sandslash then breaks through the Pokemon they hate, like specially defensive Articuno, AV Crabominable (if Iron head), specially defensive Alolan Sandslash, Clefairy, Type: Null, Audino, etc., while in return, both Abomasnow and Aurorus check other Pokemon Alolan Sandslash struggles with sometimes, like Rotom-F, Gastrodon/Quagsire, and Jellicent. Abomasnow and Alolan Sandslash share some okay synergy with Alolan Sandslash resisting Bug-, Flying, Poison-type moves (ex. moves like Mesprit's U-turn, Victreebel's Sludge Bomb, Oricorio-E/G's Hurricane, and more), while Abomasnow can be used to sponge some Ground-type moves on Alolan Sandslash's behalf, like Gastrodon's Earth Power. Checks to Fighting-types like Gurdurr and Hitmonchan complement this core well, as well as having something to eat CS Dodrio's Jump Kick and CS Scyther's Brick Break to prevent Alolan Sandslash from being RKOed late-game.

+
+

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Poison Jab
- Destiny Bond / Explosion
- Swords Dance

Kabutops @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Another ridiculously common (but somehow unposted) core is the holy trinity of rain teams, Ludicolo, Kabutops, and Qwilfish. Ludicolo checks the Pokemon SD Z Kabutops and SD LO Qwilfish struggle with, like Gastrodon and Quagsire. Kabutops's decent bulk and Rock typing let it switch into Normal- and Flying-type moves on Ludicolo's behalf, especially CS Dodrio's Brave Bird. Additionally, it has the power to break through the specially bulky tanks and walls Ludicolo can't quite beat, like specially defensive Clefairy and AV Guzzlord. Qwilfish can power up with SD and break fat checks to Kabutops, like Gurdurr, Tangela, and Poliwrath, and its Poison typing comes in handy for switching into Fighting-type moves aimed at Kabutops.

+

Leafeon @ Normalium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Focus Blast

Here's something a bit more unconventional, Grass spam with Leafeon as the centerpiece. With top tier checks to Grass-types like Alolan Sandslash, Oricorio-E, Guzzlord, Dodrio, Victreebel, Skuntank, etc. being ubiquitous, you might question the merits of building with Leafeon. Leafeon's +2 Breakneck Blitz OHKOes Skuntank, Victreebel, Oricorio-E, and has a good chance to OHKO 136 Def Guzzlord after SR (+2 252 Atk Leafeon Breakneck Blitz (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 136 Def Guzzlord: 493-580 (83.9 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). CS Abomasnow beats the other Grass checks that Leafeon can't quite outspeed or OHKO, like specially defensive Alolan Sandslash (via Focus Blast), Simisear (via EQ), Dodrio lacking CS, SD Scyther, and a few others. While Leafeon isn't the most splashable of Pokemon, this core takes advantage of current meta trends well and gives you a starting point for building with it.

+

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit / Knock Off
- Frustration
- Jump Kick
- Brave Bird

Other than Pawniard, there isn't a Flying resist in PU that also resists Ghost, meaning Oricorio-G can set up and break down most Flying resists with its CM-boosted Revelation Dance, which then paves the way for Dodrio to clean late-game. Oricorio-G without CM boosts can struggle against specially bulky Flying resists like Eelektross, Oricorio-E, and Lanturn, but they can be worn down easily by Dodrio's STAB Frustration for Oricorio-G, especially if SR is in play. Additionally, when Pokemon like Aggron, Probopass, Alolan Sandslash, or Lycanroc try to switch into Dodrio's Brave Bird, they can be removed with Jump Kick, effectively removing switch-ins to Oricorio-G's SSSS. Any Dodrio set works here in theory, but if you don't have room for something like CS Primeape, you'll most likely be using CS Dodrio here for speed control.

+
+

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Strength Sap
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Victreebel is an amazing offensive partner for Lycanroc and demolishes all of Lycanroc's typical switch-ins, like Gurdurr, Poliwrath, Thunder Punch Hitmonchan, Gastrodon, Quagsire, Claydol, Mudsdale, etc. But, getting Victreebel to work properly with Guzzlord and Alolan Sandslash as barriers to its breaking means that luring them both will be critical to this core's success. That's where yogi's Dazzling Gleam HP Fighting Mesprit comes in. Modest Dazzling Gleam OHKOes Z Guzzlord and does roughly 60% to AV Guzzlord, while HP Fighting does about 70% min to Alolan Sandslash; the remainder of their HP can then be finished off by Victreebel. The defensive synergy these Pokemon share is strong, with Lycanroc finding refuge from Ground-, Grass-, Water-, Fighting-type moves behind Victreebel and Mesprit. And this is fairly obvious, but Mesprit's U-turn is also conducive to bringing in Victreebel and Lycanroc unharmed to either set up or wallbreak. You could run this core differently with Grassium Z on Victreebel, SR on Lycanroc, or mixing it up with Mesprit's set (adding CM, SR, or Healing Wish).

+
+

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Guzzlord @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

EVs: 232 HP / 216 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Protect Quagsire is here to make the most of the shared resistances between these three, letting you accurately pivot out of choiced threats like Primeape, Dodrio, Stoutland, Aurorus, Abomasnow, etc. into the right partner. What's more, win conditions like Lycanroc, Gurdurr, and SD Silvally-Fairy that break both Alolan Sandslash and Guzzlord are handled competently by Quagsire. Guzzlord was added mainly for its ability to beat checks to Alolan Sandslash and/or Quagsire, such as Eelektross, Simisear, Ludicolo, Jellicent, Alolan Raichu, Manectric, Roselia, and Victreebel. Alolan Sandslash rounds out the core by supplying key resists to Ice-types like Abomasnow, Jynx, and Aurorus, as well as Normal- and Flying-types like Stoutland and Dodrio (when locked into their STAB moves).

+

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Thunderbolt

Most typical Fighting resists you think of are either Ice weak or don't resist Electric, letting Rotom-F chip or outright KO many of Gurdurr's defensive answers, such as Quagsire (Z-Blizzard OHKOes), Oricorio-E, Froslass, Qwilfish, Claydol, Jellicent, Sableye, and Victreebel. In reverse, Pokemon that either check Rotom-F offensively or switch into it with ease like bulky pivot Lanturn, Type: Null, Munchlax, Audino, Lycanroc, Primeape, CS Kabutops, and Aurorus are all broken down by Gurdurr. If Clefairy picks up in usage again, this core will still be effective, with Gurdurr's Knock Off weakening Clefairy to the point a combination of Z-Blizzard+Thunderbolt scores the KO.

+

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Drain Punch
- Discharge
- U-turn
- Giga Drain

With Eelektross's old kit of Knock Off / Volt Switch / Giga Drain / Flamethrower being totally walled by Z Guzzlord, Eelektross needed an update to its standard set. It can work well as a lure to Guzzlord with Drain Punch and U-turn, which weakens Guzzlord just enough so that Pokemon like Simisear lose their switch-ins as a result. Eelektross also works here to weaken Simisear's other common counter, Lanturn. The thought process behind this core is similar to this core here; Eelektross forces Lanturn in on threat of Volt Switch, but then Lanturn is weakened by Eelektross's coverage moves. The momentum gained by Eelektross's slow pivoting moves also creates ample opportunities for Simisear to dismantle more defensively inclined teams.

A more physically offensive Eelektross spread that allows it to OHKO most of the same threats:

EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 SpA
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Discharge
- U-turn
- Giga Drain

136+ Atk Eelektross Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sandslash-Alola: 260-308 (89.3 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

136+ Atk Eelektross Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurorus: 396-468 (102.3 - 120.9% (53 - 62.7% recovered)) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross: 196-232 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(Eelektross recovers the roughly the same amount of damage done to it by Modest Choice Specs Blizzard)

124 SpA Eelektross Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Omastar: 340-404 (120.9 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earth Power

People asked me in chat recently how I'd build with Simisage, so I figured I 'd post this here for those users. Simisage's Leaf Storm brings in a lot of strong checks to Ice-types, like specially defensive Articuno and Alolan Sandslash, which are OHKOed by Simisage's Rock Slide and Superpower, respectively. Removing these paves the way for Aurorus to clean with Blizzard or Freeze-Dry. In reverse, CS Aurorus can weaken specially defensive Alolan Sandslash and Articuno with Earth Power and Hidden Power Rock, letting Simisage fire off Leaf Storms more frequently (this applies to other strong checks to Grass-types, too, as these are mostly weak to Aurorus's dual STABs or Earth Power, ex. Oricorio-E, Guzzlord, Simisear, non CS Dodrio, SD Scyther, etc.). The defensive synergy these two share is alright too, with Ground- and Water-type moves being resisted by Simisage, and Ice- and Flying-type moves being fielded by Aurorus to some extent.
You can pull off a core with similar synergy with Victreebel + Aurorus, with Victreebel supplying hail teams with the necessary counterplay for Fighting-types like Gurdurr and Hitmonchan.

Last edited:

Raahel

MANO TENGO FE
is a Tiering Contributor
Offense Core
+

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Drain Punch

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

It is a great offensive core because it does not have weaknesses and two mixed pokes because eelektross is special and a r and skuntank Physical Defoger used with Z Darkinium Z. These Two Pokes are threatening present in Balance or Offensive Teams because they are pokemon that can break barriers in those teams

Last edited:
Hey, I'm here to share my favorite offensive core right now! I used it to get reqs for the suspect test and it is really fun and effective with the proper team support.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Description:
This is an offensive core consisting of two powerful wallbreakers whose objective is to break apart balance and defensive teams. Aggron with Choice Band has very few reliable switch-ins, all of which are things like Regirock, Mudsdale, Quagsire, etc. In good fortune, Abomasnow happens to thrive with these rockers out and about rn with mesprit being out of the tier. It is very uncommon for balance teams to be well prepared for both of these threats at once, and if you play aggressively and make double switches, you can shut down your opponent in the first few turns of the game. This core is most effective with aggressive players who thrive on using pokemon that need heavy prediction to function. As far as team support goes, you will want reliable hazard removal, defensive answers to the core's glaring type weaknesses, and make sure you have a strong answer to offensive sandslash-alola. Also, speed control is a must as this core does not fare well against offensive teams.

tldr; this is a really cool offensive core for aggressive players and it rewards good prediction​

ishtar

temper madness with an even extreme
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Hi! So after building quite a bit for the current meta as well as for some older stuff that still remains viable, I thought I’d give this thread a shot and post some of the cores that have proven to be effective for me. Im also posting some guzz cores despite knowing that the mon might be gone after the suspect, but I still think its good to keep track of past metas and how a certain Pokemon functioned, so here they are:

+

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
Naughty Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Grass
- Shell Smash

Dodrio @ Flyinium Z / Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

This is an offensive core that I had initially utilized on a Spike stack team with Qwil + Sableye. The point of these two together is to utilize sets that allows them to break physical walls for each other. The utilization of 2 setup mons can seem redundant but the way in which they function, plus chip provided by Spikes, give these two many setup opportunities and ways in which one or the other can end a match successfully. Dod is able to break through Pokemon such as Tangela, Gurdurr (this shouldn’t be your dedicated Fighting check but it gets the job done after the team has been slightly weakened) and even Pokemon such as Eel and Regirock if the player is able to setup and utilize the Z move at the right time. Quick Attack Dod is even able to break through Primeape thanks to how easily it is to chip it with a Pokemon such as Rocky Helmet Sableye in conjunction with Spikes. (+2 Quick Attack 2HKOs Primeape). On the other hand, Carracosta is able to break through Pokemon such as Regirock, Muds, Gurdurr, Quag depending on the set as well as the aforementioned Primeape. When you put these two together even if you lose either one of them trying to break through a phys def wall, its quite possible that said phys def mon will already be weakened for the other one to break through it. Plus the priority from both can come in handy, making the use of Speed control in the form of a scarfer less essential. Just a nice offensive core meant to overwhelm these type of mons as much as possible.

+

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

When Cryo initially dropped, gum had suggested to me the use of Cryo + Lanturn, both of which effectively manage to wall most special wallbreakers. Taking that a step further was including Tangela, which already has great synergy with the aforementioned Lanturn, but even if you utilize another Pokemon as your Fire switch in, the synergy between Tang and Cryo remains incredibly annoying to face. Despite this core being quite passive, having one of the best phys mon check + Cryo, which is able to function as quite the reliable Rapid Spin user gives the player enough utility to utilize the rest of the slots to find great offensive presence, so Im having trouble in describing this as a balance or defensive core. I had utilized Sleep Powder on Tang to disrupt the momentum from offensive teams which has worked great.

+

Kabutops @ Choice Band
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
- Superpower

Guzzlord @ Assault Vest
EVs: 196 Def / 240 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Heavy Slam

A few days back I had a talk with tlenit1 since we had discussed building a team with these two around a week or so ago. I wasn’t really sure who came up with the idea and he wasn’t sure either, it was prob used prior to us trying it out anyway but we don’t really care about ownership of stuff like this so Ig im just gonna showcase this offensive core cause it was very cool when put into practice and on paper. AV Guzz is able to beat most of the Grass-types in the tier that bother Kabu. Youre able to counter Vic, Tang, as well as heavily weaken other walls such as Regi and ofc Gurdurr. On the other hand, Kabu is able to break through the Ice-types that bother Guzz and is able to create huge openings since both of them are able to pressure shit like Muds and bring in specially defensive mons which cant deal with Kabu easily such as Eel and Lanturn. While the synergy is a bit more one-sided on this one, the utilization of AV Guzz plus a not so well known yet devastating set in the form of Band Kabu can really fuck up teams relying on Pokemon such as Muds, Costa or even Gurdurr as their way of checking most physical threats. Just add a solid fighting-check so you don’t have to worry so much about Ape, etc.

+

Swanna @ Life Orb / Charti Berry
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost

Guzzlord @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Drain Punch

Ok, this is a really fun offensive core that I had come up with with my friends sketchy ecchi and tom holland while we were trying to build a Band Guzz team. Swanna is an interesting option as a Defogger in the tier thanks to its great offensive typing and ability to pressure rockers such as Muds and Regirock. Ofc some of the mons that annoy Swanna the most are specially defensive pivots such as Eel and Lanturn, which are also the same Pokemon that sometimes switch into Guzz when the player isn’t sure about the set its running. So yeah, this simply attempts to lure in these type of Pokemon for Swanna to have a better time making use of its great offensive presence and speed.

+
/

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Roost

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh

This is a defensive core that my fellow shituuser sketchy ecchi and I had initially discussed after he had shown me one of his ZU stall teams to which he had great success with. He was using Vibrava in said stall and both of us started wondering if it could work in PU as well. As its well known a big thing to worry about in PU is hazard control. This is especially vital in stall since you obviously wanna keep your Pokemon as healthy as possible and the removal options for stall can or tend to be weak to SR (example being Cuno and Altaria). One of the biggest issues that we had was dealing with SR Aggron. While the set isn’t nearly as popular as Band or as other rockers such as Muds and Regi, we were determined to find a remover that could not get destroyed by the big Steel thing. Our attempts at utilizing Vibrava went pretty well till we noticed how prone wed be do Toxic and how easily Aggron would be able to pressure Vibrava to Roost even 2HKOing it. We weren’t very eager on using Claydol since wed be prone to getting spinblocked but having a Stall team with a few mons unaffected by spikes like Cuno and Claydol as well as a couple of Regen mons in the form of Tang and Audino made it work well in the long run. Due to Claydols proneness to getting spin blocked as well as Pursuit trapped, sketchy decided to try out Vibrava again with a more optimized set. The issue with removal in PU has to do with the setters and their ability to pressure most of the removal options. I think both options are valid, Vibrava can be somewhat overwhelmed and worn down by some setters while Claydol has the issues mentioned above. Goes without seeing that Cuno is able to beat all other setters from the likes of Slash-Alola, Lass, Qwil, Roselia while Claydol beats Regirock, Muds, Lycan, non-Calm Mind Carbink, opposing Claydol, Aggron. I think its good that newer players wanting to get into stall focus initially on having a good backbone against hazards since your longevity on the field in incredibly vital in this playstyle and I don’t think this has been posted before. For dealing with all of our setters, this core is possibly the best a stall player can find, even if dealing with hazards in the tier is hard enough as is. Check the sample team submitted by sketchy to use this at full effect!

+

Dugtrio-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Toxic

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Duggy-A is a really odd Pokemon in the current meta. It just doesnt have a favorable matchup against many threats and its utility often isnt enough to warrant a place on a team. This doesnt stop it from being a great Toxic spreader thanks to its SubTox set. This balance core is meant to wear down physically defensive walls such as Tangela, Mudsdale, Regirock in order for Stout to break through them with much ease. (Tried looking for a replay of this same core used agaisnt me but I dont have it ;-;) Shoutout to whoever it was who destroyed me w this.

+
+

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

This offensive one is also quite fun and Im pretty sure that you could change Ludi for something else at some point. PTF had once beaten me with Sensu + Drampa which is a core that I had enjoyed seeing a lot since you stop Pokemon such as Primeape from safely locking itself into CC. This initial core really made me wanna try out Sensu myself since I had neglected its existence for a while but I decided to make a core that functions a bit differently. After some help from Specs, I ended up with a team that had Ludi + Sensu. By virtue of being a great sweeper under rain even outside of rain teams, Ludi is able to overwhelm Pokemon such as Eel and Lanturn which gives Sensu an easier time in the end-game as well as being able to outspeed Ape, which actually helps Sensu in this case. In return, Sensu is still able to stop Primeape from clicking CC but also manages to deal with some Hitmonchan sets, which Ludi doesn’t like dealing with, and p much helps remove a bit of the priority that Ludi dislikes. Might wanna put like Gurdurr with these two since its able to deal with Pokemon such as Lycan and Kanga, which Ludi and Sensu heavily dislike. (Just noticed that Sensu + Ludi was posted a whiiile back, but the idea for the core was mostly focused on rain and didnt involve Gurdurr, heres the link if anyone is interested)

That’s it! Thank you to everyone for reading and I hope that this helps someone in their teambuilding even if just a bit. Also ty for everyone who helped me in some way or another to create or to allow me to showcase some of these cores, via building, battle or simply through brainstorming ideas!​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)