Programming PPRNG (Mac & iOS)

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Hi there.
Noticed this when discussing with someone else that this wasn't the intended set up.

All of the date spinners in my PPRNG don't have a year. Included (in the screenshot); PPRNG version (1.15.0) and Mac OS X version (10.9.4).

Just wondering if there's any way to resolve this my end, as I've (eventually) found an RNG I'd like to do which I can't find a seed for in 2014.
Sorry, I missed the notification for your post somehow.

I haven't seen this exact issue before, but PPRNG just uses the standard system controls for date entry, so my guess is that you have changed how the date is displayed on your Mac.

You can check in System Settings to see how you've configured display of dates. There are different settings for full dates, partial dates, etc.

I'm a semiexperienced RNGer. I've done many a mon on my Pokemon White Versions. However, for whatever reason, I'm having one helluva time trying to calibrate my Black 2. Whether through the search using a captured Pokemon and Sweet Scent, or using the Unova Link, I can't seem to get a correct Timer0. Is it possible that there is literally no correct/consistant Timer0 (I realize they fluctuate decently heavily) for my Black 2? I've used the same DS Lite for many RNG attempts with my Pokemon White Versions, but Hidden Grotto abuse is awful.

I'm a semiexperienced RNGer. I've done many a mon on my Pokemon White Versions. However, for whatever reason, I'm having one helluva time trying to calibrate my Black 2. Whether through the search using a captured Pokemon and Sweet Scent, or using the Unova Link, I can't seem to get a correct Timer0. Is it possible that there is literally no correct/consistant Timer0 (I realize they fluctuate decently heavily) for my Black 2? I've used the same DS Lite for many RNG attempts with my Pokemon White Versions, but Hidden Grotto abuse is awful.
I haven't done much RNG abuse in 5th gen. But I know the Timer0 in bw2, is much more unpredictable. If you have the choice, RNG in the first games. Otherwise, you're going to have a very difficult time RNGing

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Whether through the search using a captured Pokemon and Sweet Scent, or using the Unova Link, I can't seem to get a correct Timer0. Is it possible that there is literally no correct/consistant Timer0 (I realize they fluctuate decently heavily) for my Black 2?
If you are having trouble getting stable results when calibrating (particularly when using the IV method), either one of your settings in your profile is wrong (double check the MAC address to make sure there aren't any mix ups between Bs and 8s, for example), or there is a problem with your technique when starting (hard reset, never turn c-gear on, do not take even a single step before sweet scenting).

I think the program is reporting incorrect results (this is on the Mac version of PPRNG).

Take the seed A4686420B73B747F as an example, with a target of 31/31/31/31/31/0 and encounter slot 5 on frame 84. According to PPRNG, this should result in a female if the gender ratio of the pokemon in that slot is 50/50 (which is what I assume the gender ratio's are for at the top). Anyways, I RNG and do the normal procedure, but I encounter a male instead! I could be reading the gender ratio's wrong, but I assume that's what 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 mean.

EDIT: Tried again, this time at frame 171 (I stopped at 170, then sweet scented). Still supposed to encounter a ferroseed, encountered a joltik instead. Why am I getting incorrect results?

It seems to be an issue with moving NPCs. Not sure if Chargestone Cave has them, but oh well... seems like I'm off frames which is definitely not an issue of PPRNG. Sorry~

Anyway, for 4th gen searches, it seems that inputting the encounter slots is irrelevant, because whenever I do, I'm given seeds where the encounter slots don't even match what I set the program to search for.

Last edited:
Hello! As a Mac user I love having an RNG software I can use! I have learned how to use it reliably in the 5th gen, but wish to RNG in Gen 4 too. (That Cute Charm thing looks amazing) however, there's a lot I don't understand about the 4th gen setup. I found my secret ID useing the software, but I dont know how to go forward with hitting a simple seed. I want a shiny starter on HG, that's method one, right? I found a seed in which the star appears on frame 23. Will saving progess the frame as it does in BW? And I have no understanding of delay. Do I let the intro play? Or do I stop it? The time, is it still the exact start up time? Or does the delay effect it? I have a DS lite and Ruby/Sapphire for switching odd/even, apparently that happens. So... Can anyone help?

EDIT:
I have done additional research and been attempting things all morning. I found the Zong Timer, and with it have been able to constantly receive the same pokemon, but not the desired pokemon. I have found out that the three starters of Heart Gold are based on different frames. The ones I want are ether Chikorita (Frame 1) or Cyndaquil (Frame 5) I have found no seeds with shinys on frame one but a few on frame five. However, I am encountering an error, I search for shiny, it comes up shiny, but upon clicking it the inspector holds no shiny on the seed. So I am unable to find a shiny seed. ANY shiny seed. I'd basically have to choose a random seed and hope it has my shiny on it.

EDIT 2:
After continuing to search, I still encounter the problem of not being able to search for shiny seeds, however I wrote down the seed number of a seed with a star on frame 2. Then, I found a way to advance the frame! (Saving doesn't work) So I got A Shiny Chikorita! So no longer in a rush, but I still want to know whats up with this error.

Sorry for so many edits!

Last edited:
Since the macOS Sierra update for my Mac PPRNG is no longer usable. It simply says:

"You can't use this version of the application "PPRNG 1.15.0.app" with this version of macOS."

Just wondering if there will be a fix for this ever. Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, but I wanted to say something on here since there hasn't been a post about it (that I've seen). :(

Since the macOS Sierra update for my Mac PPRNG is no longer usable. It simply says:

"You can't use this version of the application "PPRNG 1.15.0.app" with this version of macOS."

Just wondering if there will be a fix for this ever. Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, but I wanted to say something on here since there hasn't been a post about it (that I've seen). :(
The app doesn't work anymore because osx 10.12 stopped supporting Objective-C garbage collection.
(when run from terminal this is the error: "objc[56730]: Objective-C garbage collection is no longer supported.")

One of the developers would need to update the code. I did find a Github for PPRNG (https://github.com/chiizu/PPRNG), maybe I could take a stab at fixing it...

Last edited:
Reactions: dom
The app doesn't work anymore because osx 10.12 stopped supporting Objective-C garbage collection.
(when run from terminal this is the error: "objc[56730]: Objective-C garbage collection is no longer supported.")

One of the developers would need to update the code. I did find a Github for PPRNG (https://github.com/chiizu/PPRNG), maybe I could take a stab at fixing it...
Good news! I successfully made fixes to the code so the app now works on 10.12! :D
I forked the source to my GitHub, so if anyone wants it, it's here: https://github.com/michellevholloway/PPRNG

In the meantime here is a zip for the updated app. Right now I'm just hosting it from my own dropbox, but if OP wants to update this thread or host it somewhere else lmk!
PPRNG 1.15.1 (Last updated: 6/17/17)

(I haven't done any extensive testing yet, but I didn't change anything with the base algorithms so it should all be the same. I also only tried it on 10.12, but it should be fine back to 10.7)

Last edited:
Good news! I successfully made fixes to the code so the app now works on 10.12! :D
I forked the source to my GitHub, so if anyone wants it, it's here: https://github.com/michellevholloway/PPRNG

In the meantime here is a zip for the updated app. Right now I'm just hosting it from my own dropbox, but if OP wants to update this thread or host it somewhere else lmk!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/g9yqcp8aq4vzpzl/PPRNG 1.15.1.zip

(I haven't done any extensive testing yet, but I didn't change anything with the base algorithms so it should all be the same. I also only tried it on 10.12, but it should be fine back to 10.7)
Hey this is cool, I just update to 10.12.5 I downloaded your updated app but when I try to open it, it said some components were missing. So of course I downloaded the Xkit file and opened the file, and this line was the problem:
"boost/date_time/gregorian/gregorian.hpp" It said it could not find the file. I haven't edited anything as of now, should I?

Hey this is cool, I just update to 10.12.5 I downloaded your updated app but when I try to open it, it said some components were missing. So of course I downloaded the Xkit file and opened the file, and this line was the problem:
"boost/date_time/gregorian/gregorian.hpp" It said it could not find the file. I haven't edited anything as of now, should I?
I'll take a look at it tonight, I probably need to package some contents into the app resources that I didn't know about... My environment on my computer is set to know the location of the boost library but it probably needs to be packaged with the app for universal ability to run

I'll take a look at it tonight, I probably need to package some contents into the app resources that I didn't know about... My environment on my computer is set to know the location of the boost library but it probably needs to be packaged with the app for universal ability to run

Yeah thanks. I installed some additional Xkit components and it solved that problem but reveled another very similar one... I can try again and make notes again, But its seems clear that I'm missing some developer tools that would let me run this... (My computer is old...) I'll look deeper into my missing files as well and keep you posted.

Yeah thanks. I installed some additional Xkit components and it solved that problem but reveled another very similar one... I can try again and make notes again, But its seems clear that I'm missing some developer tools that would let me run this... (My computer is old...) I'll look deeper into my missing files as well and keep you posted.
Ok I'm pretty sure I fixed it. It still runs fine on my end so you'll have to test it ;)
I updated the dropbox zip, so that link I posted earlier should download the most recent version

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks so much for taking the time to fix it, I had about given up hope! It works great on my end so far!

Anyone else having trouble opening the 'Dream Radar seed inspector' tab? Whenever I try to double-click a seed it doesn't open the information like it used to. In other words; can't RNG genies and other legendaries atm.

Anyone else having trouble opening the 'Dream Radar seed inspector' tab? Whenever I try to double-click a seed it doesn't open the information like it used to. In other words; can't RNG genies and other legendaries atm.
I can try and look at that this weekend if I get some time :)

Is there still any support for this thread? It appears the file for macs on page 1 of this thread is no longer available to download, but i was able to download the app and use it to RNG a perfect legend through an encounter, but i'm running into some real difficulty trying to use the pprng app for getting perfect egg pokemon. I've ready numerous forums and guides and can't seem to figure out what i'm doing wrong. I've watched you tube video's and can't figure it out form there either. I'll hold back on giving the specifics of my questions until i know if anyone out there is still even trying to use pprng app for gen 5.

Hey guys, I'm having trouble? I want to RNG again but no maker what I put into the seed searcher Its says 'expected to yeaild too many results.' I have set for one day, no holds buttons, one nature flawless, shiny, no encounters, (is method one) but it still say it will yeah too many results and doesn't even attempt the search. I change the parameters in every way I can think of but it still says too many results will occur, is there any possible work around for this? A way to disable the message or disregard it maybe? I'd stop the search once it found like even ten, if that even happened! I mean come on!

I apologize if this is not a good place to post, or if there is something new I should be using/posting to, etc.

I noticed I can’t redownlod PPRNG from the app store anymore on iOS.. and I see not many people have said much about it recently but is there ever a plan to bring it back? Is there something else I should be using? Or are people just not interested in this anymore? Haven’t been in the loop for awhile but might be interested in dabbling back in.

Last edited:
Sorry for necroing this thread, but curious if anyone else is still using this. Recently found my DS lite and gen 5 games, with wondercards still intact! I was able to get 1.15.1 to work (thanks blonde1 !), but I'm unable to open the Wonder Card and Dream Radar Seed Inspectors, nothing happens when I double click either option. Everything else works fine though, just would like to be able to inspect those seeds.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for necroing this thread, but curious if anyone else is still using this. Recently found my DS lite and gen 5 games, with wondercards still intact! I was able to get 1.15.1 to work (thanks blonde1 !), but I'm unable to open the Wonder Card and Dream Radar Seed Inspectors, nothing happens when I double click either option. Everything else works fine though, just would like to be able to inspect those seeds.
PPRNG is dead now (unfortunately) but a guy called Admiral_Fish has been working on a cross-platform PPRNG/RNGReporter replacement known as PokeFinder. It's still very much under development so you might find some bugs or find that certain features are unavailable, but I believe at the very least Dream Radar searching works fine. You can download the mac build from here, and get support from his discord server here.

PPRNG is dead now (unfortunately) but a guy called Admiral_Fish has been working on a cross-platform PPRNG/RNGReporter replacement known as PokeFinder. It's still very much under development so you might find some bugs or find that certain features are unavailable, but I believe at the very least Dream Radar searching works fine. You can download the mac build from here, and get support from his discord server here.
Thank you, I'll take a look!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)