SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alolan 'mons being even more diluted in their own region. I really hope there are new Alolan forms because it's going to be even more annoying to get a team of 6 "new 'mons" (ie. Alolan form/Alolan).
Arceus forbid if you try to make any more restrictions to "only Gen VII", like I did in Moon. Especially in Moon where my second restriction meant I only had 6 Pokemon to pick from.

(Which is why I'm doing away with the generation restriction this time)

Perhaps the only 'complaint' I'd have about Mantine Surf is that if the PokeRides are given at similar points compared to SM, you're getting Charizard very shortly after it, rendering the whole 'travel between islands while also being a minigame' feature... quite pointless.
To be fair, you still need to travel to that area for Charizard to go there so Mantine will probably only be useful in the main game.

Japanese trailer once again confirms that all Lillie cutscenes are identical to SM. I love Hau getting changed a bit with Torracat following close behind, that looked great.

Shame that Lillie in my opinion used to be the best part of the first game, and now she's almost like an annoying barrier to get to the new stuff.

So it turns out Mantine isn't the new dive, but know what? I don't even care 'cause the surf thing looks sooooooo cooool. Mantine is like the new Tony Hawk of pokemon. wow, I did not see that coming. Oh, and the music was pretty rad too.

The end of the Japanese trailer shows Necrozma emerging from an Ultra Wormhole at the Poni Island Altar. The wormhole appears to have been created by Necrozma, not Nebby. This might mean you and Lilly go to the Altar for some reason other than to follow Lusamine into Ultra Space.

Also, I can totally see Game Freak pulling a Unova and having the Cosmog from the other universe help you defeat the fused Necrozma.

Reactions: Mq
I wasn't expecting another trailer so soon. Anyway, I'm really happy because Sinnoh conf Alola Dex expansion confirmed! I'm glad there will be more Pokemon to choose from during the main game this time around. 400 feels like a good number. Ironically, none of the ones they have shown so far are ones that I really feel like using on my US/UM teams. Though I might use Tropius, Ampharos or Houndoom, will have to see. Tropius is an excellent choice for Alola anyway, it fits the region theme perfectly. Larvesta, Mienfoo and Larvitar are awesome but evolve too late. I have used Zorua and Manectric rather recently (in White 2 and Omega Ruby respectively) so I won't use them again here. Still, there should be plenty of others to choose from, in addition to all the ones I didn't use in S/M and haven't used on in-game teams in any recent games. Like some others have posted, I also feel that there's a chance we might be able to use Mega Evolution before beating the game this time around, that is something I might use too... as well as dream of new Megas until that is confirmed or debunked. (I'm guessing the latter will be the case.)

Mantine surfing looks really cool. The trailer gives a similar vibe as soaring in OR/AS, which was quite cool even if I didn't use it all that much. As for the new photo feature, it seems okay but I'm not sure what to think of it. I'll probably use it and see what it is like, I'm just a bit weirded out by it. I read somewhere that it is similar to SnapChat, is it so? I don't use such apps myself so I have no idea. Still haven't watched the previous big trailer for this photo feature, guess I should...

Mina gets a trial! Awesome! I'm totally not biased because Fairy is my favorite type... okay, I am. Looks like some of the previous trials have changed as well which is great as I felt that some of them were a bit simple/lacking in S/M. This is regarding the trials themselves, not so much when it comes to the Totem Pokemon as I felt they were challenging enough for the most part. I'm also curious about the roles of Lillie and Hau. They will surely be similar to what they were in S/M, but I'm getting the feeling that there will be more to them this time around. Especially Lillie since she is shown in her Z-powered form in the trailers, there's even official art for here in that form now. Writing this felt weird because it feels wrong to write about a human character having different "forms" lol.

I guess that's all for now. I still want to see something about potential new Alola forms and... that. Still not sure if I'll watch any more trailers after this month.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Returning Island Challenge:
So no Gyms, it's an Island Challenge revisit. Don't really have much to say. It's nice they're changing them up though then again they'd have too, though at the same time a few don't look like they separate too far from the original mechanic like Mallow's and Sophocles (though they look to give more of a show, probably because they have time to now that they're reusing old assets).
I was excited to see what they cooked up for Mina... and as of right now it just looks like a battle. Because, you know, in SM you only battled her so it's the same thing here. With how laid back and absent-minded Mina is they'd probably use that as an excuse, she didn't have time to create a trail so it's just a battle. Which would be disappointing.
You know, I'm going to request something. The main attraction of the Trials is the Totem Pokemon, yet we only get to battle seven Totem Pokemon. GF, could you maybe add in a location where we battle Totem boosted Pokemon in a row like trainers in a Battle Facility. The first Totem Pokemon wouldn't get such a big boost and/or not be fully evolved but as out win streak gets longer and longer the more powerful the boost and/or stronger the Pokemon we battle. I'd think that would be an interesting feature.

Lillie & Hau, Well, More Focusing On Lillie:
... You know, it's very odd they're putting so much focus on Lillie and her Z-Form even though that happens at the end of the game/last island. And I can't see how they'd have her change earlier than that. So it got me thinking, how could they expand the use of Lillie Z-Form. They're more pushing her to becoming a trainer, so maybe have her do the Island Challenge? It'll give us another reason to revisit the other islands before going to Poni Island, it'll expand the game time, and they can add in more character development and story to flesh things out.

Alola Photo Club:
So, are all the backgrounds/environments the in-battle backgrounds/environments? Not that that's a bad thing, though I do hope they have some unique ones. Otherwise we already talked about this.

Mantine Surf:
I mean, we are in Poke-Hawaii. Alright, looks pretty fun. Yes, we have Charizard Fly, but we still have to get to the other islands first... and there's two other things to it.
First, the points. All I'm going to say about that is it better have a point other than online leaderboards. Otherwise it'll have the same problem as the Poke Finder did: what's the point? I tried to take the best pictures I could with the Poke Finder and all I got were stupid meme comments that lost their charm fast and upgrades to take better pictures which required a ludicrous amount of points to get to. That's it. No items, no unique Pokemon encounters, just being able to take better photos and when you got the final upgrade... you feel like you wasted your time. So, GIVE ME A REASON TO RACK UP POINTS. A simple item reward, especially for rare items, would be sufficient enough. Or money, with all the clothes they're adding in we'll probably need more cash than in SM.
Second, potential. Could Mantine Surf be the next Soaring? I'm seeing plenty of Pokemon in the water, if we hit one does it initiate a battle? That would be a good way to add in more Pokemon. Now it looks like the surfing is pretty linear, but still we're on the wide open ocean in the Pokemon World. Who's to say there might be a split that leads to an isolated island that's not on the Alolan map or maybe a secret beach or cave that normally can't be accessed without using Mantine Surf to get to it?

Poster Clear:
A clearer image of the poster shows the details of the mysterious figure better. I now see the braid on the kid and it does very much look like Lillie's braids. That said, there's something that I just realized: their hair bangs. Remember, another similar trait that Lillie and Gladion share is that they have their father's blocky hair bangs. If you look at the kid, woman, and alone guy's hair, their bang is triangular (alone guy's hair is also zig-zaggy). Note, that is the hair style which Lusamine has, and comparing the hair I do see a bit of Lusamine's hair on the woman. I actually this is an important detail on these character identities. I have two thoughts (and both still stemming from the idea they're from a different dimension/timeline):
  • These are completely different characters. The similar details are meant to throw you off, but that one off trait was a clue these aren't the characters you think they are.
  • They are the characters you think they are, but how things went in their timeline was very different. Now that alone guy's face is shown, I'm going to take back its Mohn. Instead, according to this theory, I think the woman is Lusamine, the kid is Lillie, and alone guy is Gladion. They indeed found a way to not only explore Ultra Space but other dimensions. Also, I think in their timeline Lusamine was able to "convert" Lillie and Gladion, or at least Lillie. Why? Well not only because of their hair bangs, but those creepy smiles. Lillie has the same creepy smile as Lusamine, which makes me think Lusamine had successfully made this Lillie into a mini-Lusamine. Not sure about Gladion, if that is him as I still have my doubts, the hair bang does indicate Lusamine at least tried to change him and either he is on his mom's side but is just the stern one or, like in other timelines, he ran away though possibly later than others (or Lusamine tried harder to change her children earlier). I'm more leaning toward the latter since he's by himself which indicates he's on his own, probably snuck into Aether Paradise and stole a suit to follow Lusamine, Faba, and Lillie to the other dimension. Why would they go to another dimension? Why, to make ALL worlds beautiful of course... if Lusamine is still as insane.

They are the characters you think they are, but how things went in their timeline was very different. Now that alone guy's face is shown, I'm going to take back its Mohn. Instead, according to this theory, I think the woman is Lusamine, the kid is Lillie, and alone guy is Gladion. They indeed found a way to not only explore Ultra Space but other dimensions. Also, I think in their timeline Lusamine was able to "convert" Lillie and Gladion, or at least Lillie. Why? Well not only because of their hair bangs, but those creepy smiles. Lillie has the same creepy smile as Lusamine, which makes me think Lusamine had successfully made this Lillie into a mini-Lusamine. Not sure about Gladion, if that is him as I still have my doubts, the hair bang does indicate Lusamine at least tried to change him and either he is on his mom's side but is just the stern one or, like in other timelines, he ran away though possibly later than others (or Lusamine tried harder to change her children earlier). I'm more leaning toward the latter since he's by himself which indicates he's on his own, probably snuck into Aether Paradise and stole a suit to follow Lusamine, Faba, and Lillie to the other dimension. Why would they go to another dimension? Why, to make ALL worlds beautiful of course... if Lusamine is still as insane.
A somewhat-silly hypothesis I've been throwing around my mind ever since that poster appeared is that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon could be a universe where Mohn never disappeared, they kept investigating the Ultra Space, only to end up a liiiiiiiittle crazy due to Nihilego influences.

(And who's to say that Team Skull does not exist in this alternate story and the Aether Foundation is evil from the get go?)

I'm twisting this way too much.

Could Mantine Surf be the next Soaring? I'm seeing plenty of Pokemon in the water, if we hit one does it initiate a battle? That would be a good way to add in more Pokemon. Now it looks like the surfing is pretty linear, but still we're on the wide open ocean in the Pokemon World. Who's to say there might be a split that leads to an isolated island that's not on the Alolan map or maybe a secret beach or cave that normally can't be accessed without using Mantine Surf to get to it?
That'd be cool, but GF's demonstrated weakness in designing water routes (which I maintain is the root cause, and validity, of "too much water") could still be a problem. There better be some variety in those encounters.

The Pokedex expansion is fucking brilliant. Gives me a fuck ton more options to play around with. I got my Kommo-O and Honchkrow in Sun via GTS, so if any of those new additions that I want turn out to be really late game, then you know what I'd do. Hopefully they fix the fact that certain mons in SM were just placed so fucking late in the game though. (IE: Give us fucking Snubbull or Carvanha in the wild dammit)

The Pokedex expansion is fucking brilliant. Gives me a fuck ton more options to play around with. I got my Kommo-O and Honchkrow in Sun via GTS, so if any of those new additions that I want turn out to be really late game, then you know what I'd do. Hopefully they fix the fact that certain mons in SM were just placed so fucking late in the game though. (IE: Give us fucking Snubbull or Carvanha in the wild dammit)
If you start the game at night, instead of a wingul flying overhead its a murkrow. We also saw our early game rockruff beating up a murkrow on the main site. So it's likely that some late game pokemon are now shufled about.

I doubt, say, Janmo-o will be available earlier. But I'd bet someone like Riolu is now available much earlier.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If you start the game at night, instead of a wingul flying overhead its a murkrow. We also saw our early game rockruff beating up a murkrow on the main site. So it's likely that some late game pokemon are now shufled about.

I doubt, say, Janmo-o will be available earlier. But I'd bet someone like Riolu is now available much earlier.
Hmm, actually, it's not that Jangmo-o is late game but rather it's last island. "What's the difference?" you may ask. Well that brings me back to my idea how they could extend gameplay by having Lillie deciding to take the Island Challenge. What if at that point of the game where Lillie changes to her Z-Form after the whole Aether Foundation incident you have the option to either go with Lillie back to Melemele Island OR can choose to go to Poni Island by yourself and finish your Island Challenge there (or at least battle Mina and explore as much as the island you can). If they let you go to the Alter (without Lillie you can't progress the story) it'll at least give you the opportunity to catch a Jangmo-o (and any other Poni Island Pokemon available you want on your team). THAN you can go back to Lillie and agree to accompany her though her Island Challenge, along the way battling stronger trainers (maybe delve into a deeper Team Skull story, or how about them roaming Ultra Beasts) and maybe accessing new areas in old locations with higher leveled Pokemon. This will give you three islands worth of training the Poni Island Pokemon you got before having to continue/end the story by going to Poni Island (and who knows if the story would end there). It may sound complicated to do, but I think certainly possible (the biggest issue would be if you decide to help Lillie first as there's no reason she wouldn't then travel with you to Poni Island, but that's a small problem which they can either embrace there being two different scene of events OR give Lillie an excuse not to go to Poni Island yet until you did your part on it first (like maybe you're asked to check out the Alter first if you haven't already)).

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Takara Tomy released a Rotom Pokedex toy based on the new aloladex. https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075S5R7V2

What's significant here is that the preview shows the new alola dex number of Cosmog and Marshadow as 387 and 402 respectively. In the old aloladex they were 289 and 302, meaning there was an increase of two slots in this dex range. All the UBs fall within this range.

Looks highly likely that Assembly and Burst are going to be the only new UBs in the game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Takara Tomy released a Rotom Pokedex toy based on the new aloladex. https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075S5R7V2

What's significant here is that the preview shows the new alola dex number of Cosmog and Marshadow as 387 and 402 respectively. In the old aloladex they were 289 and 302, meaning there was an increase of two slots in this dex range. All the UBs fall within this range.

Looks highly likely that Assembly and Burst are going to be the only new UBs in the game.
But, that makes 9 Ultra Beasts, that's not a prime number! :(

They could also put the new ones after Marshadow.

Or... we could have mythical Ultra Beasts.

Saying anything more than that would go deep into the realm of baseless speculation; but the point stands -- it's clear there's no more in-game ones, but I don't see mythical UBs as out of the question.

The following is not normal nitpicking. The following is my z-powered nitpicking.

afaik, GF works with two teams, the Main team and the Remake team. In Gen 5, BW2 development started just after BW was finished, and it was handled by the remake team while the Main team started working on XY. Even before XY was released, the remake team was already working on ORAS. The Main tem is already working on the development of the Switch game that's not supposed to be here for at least a year and a half, while I bet the remake team started working on USUM as soon as SM was finished, the same way it happened in gen 5.
In an interview after XY was first announced, they stated concepting for XY and BW happened almost simultaneously. XY spent Gen 5's lifetime getting polished. Nintendo was rolling out 3DS dev kits to their biggest developers between 2009-2010, including GameFreak.

GameFreak hasn't really indicated when they started pre-production for their Switch game. Chances are Nintendo had working dev kits for the Switch since late 2014-mid 2015.

That'd be cool, but GF's demonstrated weakness in designing water routes (which I maintain is the root cause, and validity, of "too much water") could still be a problem. There better be some variety in those encounters.
Are you saying that navigating the layout of water routes has been historically poor, or the challenge during water routes is poor due to lack of wild pokemon variety?

To be fair, you still need to travel to that area for Charizard to go there so Mantine will probably only be useful in the main game.
I think it depends on how it enriches your personal experience. I used Soar in ORAS every time I needed to fly somwhere. I love having a Flying type with me, but it was surprisingly refreshing to not eat up a party slot and a move slot with Fly. Even more so with the addition of getting to navigate across the map for not just Fly-ing.

Hmm, actually, it's not that Jangmo-o is late game but rather it's last island. "What's the difference?" you may ask. Well that brings me back to my idea how they could extend gameplay by having Lillie deciding to take the Island Challenge. What if at that point of the game where Lillie changes to her Z-Form after the whole Aether Foundation incident you have the option to either go with Lillie back to Melemele Island OR can choose to go to Poni Island by yourself and finish your Island Challenge there (or at least battle Mina and explore as much as the island you can). If they let you go to the Alter (without Lillie you can't progress the story) it'll at least give you the opportunity to catch a Jangmo-o (and any other Poni Island Pokemon available you want on your team). THAN you can go back to Lillie and agree to accompany her though her Island Challenge, along the way battling stronger trainers (maybe delve into a deeper Team Skull story, or how about them roaming Ultra Beasts) and maybe accessing new areas in old locations with higher leveled Pokemon. This will give you three islands worth of training the Poni Island Pokemon you got before having to continue/end the story by going to Poni Island (and who knows if the story would end there). It may sound complicated to do, but I think certainly possible (the biggest issue would be if you decide to help Lillie first as there's no reason she wouldn't then travel with you to Poni Island, but that's a small problem which they can either embrace there being two different scene of events OR give Lillie an excuse not to go to Poni Island yet until you did your part on it first (like maybe you're asked to check out the Alter first if you haven't already)).
Last island.

LAST ISLAND.

Jangmo-o is, by your own explanation, a late-game mon.

Last edited:
Jangmo-o is, by your own explanation, a late-game mon.
And a very exaggerated late-game mon. It's perfectly plausible that the Jangmo-o you catch in the Vast Poni Canyon is literally two levels away from becoming a Kommo-o, and the line has above-average evolution levels.

Generation IV is pretty much the only one where the pseudo-legendary is handled well. Gabite evolves into Garchomp in earlier levels than usual for them, and Gible can be obtained really early into the game, except it's in an optional cave (although it's only pulled well in Platinum as you cannot get there in DP until you get Strength).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)