SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion MK2 **Official Media Only**

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon will be released November 17th Worldwide
Hey all, as the old thread has now reached an impressive 50 pages and is starting to get rather tangenital, I have created a new USUM Thread which has an up-to-date OP covering all the news and major events of the pre-release period.

Release Date is November 17th World Wide

Japanese and UK Nintendo Direct Announcements from 6th of June which include Solgaleo-N and Lunala-N (as we have called them).

7th August 2017:

Lycanroc Dusk Forme is shown to the world via Pokenchi and a Website update. It looks like this Lycanroc forme will be in the newest Pokemon Anime episode, so expect some more information soon. We also have Corocoro coming in the next few days, so expect more news then.

8th August 2017: Corocoro early scans have been leaked and they imply that Dusk forme will get access to both Accelrock and Counter. It will also have the ability; Tough Claws. Serebii is awaiting further higher quality scans before anything else can be reliably determined.

10th August 2017: It appears that Rockruff will be the gift in the same vein Munchlax or Torchic were. Only this specific Rockruff can evolve into Lycanroc-Dusk. This has been loosely confirmed by Serebii here: "Rockruff caught during regular play cannot evolve into Lycanroc (Dusk Form)."

11th August 2017:
A new trailer for Lycanroc Dusk forme has been released for Japan. Seems to cover the same info we already know about.

18th August 2017:

New video from the Pokemon Channel showing a "new" overworld image, the player speaking to Ryuki, Kahili appearing and also some environmental tidbits. We then got a video about Kommo-O's new Z Move; Clangorous Soublaze

Comparison of old and new Alola islands, as found on Pokebip via Rapti:
Here's some nice visual comparisons between the original and ultra versions of the islands
Mele Mele
Akala
Ula Ula
Poni Poni
12th September 2017: Corocoro leaks and gives us more information about the Event Rockruff which can evolve into Lycanroc-Dusk. The Rockruff has the ability Own Tempo. There is also some information about Lyncaroc's Z move (explained in the next update). They also give us cool artwork of the new formes, Necrozma + Solgaleo is called Mane of Twilight, whereas Necrozma + Lunana is called Wings of Dawn.

13th September 2017 (14th in some Regions):
Nintendo Direct information
Pokemon Youtube Channel with UB information and Lycanroc information
Nintendo Direct airs and gives us immediate information about Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. It is heavily implied by this video that were will likely be four more videos released before launch of the game (probably weekly). A new Pikachu related to the Pokemon Movie is teased, as well as several new areas are show. A beach behind the Tide Song Hotel is shown, and Mantine appears to be a Ride Pokemon. Necrozma appears to be a much larger part of this games Story than in SM, similar to Giratina's presence in Platinum.

The four new updates (which I presume will be weekly):
Part 1 - The Key to the Story - Necrozma - The footage shown implies a showdown between Solgaleo/Lunala and Necrozma at the Shrine.
Part 2 - Charting new areas of Alola - Footage shows us the new area mentioned above and some more visuals of the Pikachu infested area. It also shows some new clothing options. It also shows us that we have a new way of getting our Starter Pokemon.
Part 3 - Bonuses - Lycanroc is shown using its new Z move, Splintered Stormshards. Lycanroc Dusk (From Rockruff) is your "Early Buyer" bonus like Munchlax and Torchic were before. Ordering the Digital Version gives you a code for 12 Quick Balls. Purchasing Gold or Silver on VC will gain you access to a special Celebi. This Rockruff is shown to have access to Fire Fang in Sun and Thunder Fang in Moon. It also has access to Happy Hour.
Part 4 - New Pokemon!? - Footage shows UB Burst and UB Assembly. UB Burst appears to use a new move, while Assembly uses Iron Defence.

There is also a special New 2DS which has a Pokeball Design which is available November 3rd.

22nd September 2017:
Mantine is confirmed to be part of a playable Minigame which appears to let you ride between the islands doing tricks and earning points. In this trailer we start to see definitive information in the changes of Story. While the Island Trials remain, we now battle a 3 Pokemon Mina at some point (as opposed to the difficult fight in Vast Poni Canyon). We also have confirmation of over 400 Pokemon will be available within the games. New Pokemon include Tropius, Larvesta, Mareep, Larvitar, Zorua, Houndoom (US) and Manectric (UM). There was also some information on the Alola Photo Club.

4th October 2017:
Japan gets a new and fairly cryptic Story trailer which introduces some new characters, including what we found out later to be called the Ultra Recon Squad. Other Ultra Beasts are shown in this video, including Guzzlord (appearing before Nanu) and Xurkitree. Guzma and Lusamine also return and we can also fly on corrupted Lunala/Solgaleo.

5th October 2017:
This trailer confirmed riding Solgaleo and Lunala within Ultra Space and it confirms you go hunting for Ultra Beasts on their turf, showing Nihilego and Buzzwole. We also see our first glimpse of Ultra megalopolis a large city which appears to be within Ultra Space and has already been tainted by Necrozma's darkness. We also have the English announcement of the Ultra Recon Squad. Zossie, Dulce, Phyco and Soliera make up this team and battle the player at various points. We also have confirmation on another Ultra Beast: UB-Adhesive and then additional information on Burst and Assembly.

12th October 2017
A new trailer showcasing new Z moves is released. Both formes of Necrozma (Dusk Mane Necrozma and Dawn Wings Necrozma) get a new move Photon Geyser and new Z moves, Searing Sunraze Smash and Menacing Moonraze Mealstrom. Both of these moves retain their Mold Breaker like attributes. We also are giving information about new Rotom-Dex uses and how befriending it can bring bonuses, including being able to use a Z Move twice!

17th October 2017:
Two weeks after the Japan reveal, we get an English version of the trailer showing much the same content.

This brings you up to date with the news from USUM. I will also add some more information later on about the latest Team Rocket implications regarding the games.

2nd November 2017:
Japanese trailer can be found here: Rainbow Rocket

Full Japanese Trailer (Over 5 minutes)
Lots of videos were released today showcasing Rainbow Rocket and the return of Giovanni and Battling through 20 years of villainy! We also got shown the Battle Agency which appears to be a form of battle facility. We will also be allowed to collect Totem Stickers with which to get "Totem" sized Pokemon. Island Scan is confirmed to return as well as many Legendary Pokemon which will be available in a similar way to Hoopa's rings in ORAS. The longer Japanese trailer shows some screens we haven't seen before and confirms Rainbow Rocket has every other villain in it. There was also a TV Spot released for Japan. Legendaries will also be Version Exclusive.

Rainbow rocket full artwork can be found here Here and the Battle Agency can be found Here (This is also where Finger Girl comes from)

9th November 2017:
The Japanese Pokemon youtube channel uploaded another Rainbow Rocket video which can be found here

Nothing in this video we haven't already seen in other trailers.

10th November 2017:
Mimikyu's exclusive Z Move, Let's Snuggle Forever is shown off to the world. Japanese trailer with the same content can be found here.

12th November 2017:
Corocoro leaks and shows you can collect packs/codes to put into a "Campaign site" which allows you to get certain Mythical Pokemon.

Pokemon Bank is confirmed to be available late November with compatibility with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Last edited:
I am torn. I kinda want 1 big reveal to get excited for these games but at the same time, I want a surprise when I play them. So far for me anyway, I have found gen 7 to be probably my 2nd least favourite gen and would love these games to change my mind

I'm guessing the new information this week will be huge (relatively, anyway). They haven't announced when they were going to do reveals in a while (they just came out weekly for a few weeks), so hopefully they're not hyping it up for nothing (i.e. information we already know from interviews or the screenshots via the 50 Keywords page). At the same time, like Millky95, I don't want them to reveal too much such that we don't get any surprises when we play the game.

Eh, so when I revisited the trailer showing Sol/Luna's respective Z- move, apparently Necrozma in its combined form can also launch the same attack as long the conditions (mentioned in the old thread) are met.
This suddenly popped into my mind: Will the Z- crystal from the other side be also available for their opposing games (ie Sun getting Lunala Z and vice versa)? They handed out an extra Cosmog for you in SM to evolve into a legendary, while it is impossible to evolve into the other version legendary without others to evolve it for you, it nevertheless gave the player a chance to get the other legendary without the need of getting rid of your own.
I will probably safely assume even this might not be the case anymore in USUM, most people might already have both Legendaries in SM, then will it be possible for GF to also implement both crystals into the game? Although it seems more likely than not, IMO.

And I also wouldn't want some major spoiling leaks, last time SM leaks are pretty much insane and really spoiled the game, even though it's pretty entertaining to watch tbh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What do I want just before the release? Hmm, well, I wouldn't want anything too revealing, but I would want something to excite me.

If I were designing the final trailer, all I would do is just quickly flash random scenes of locations, characters (including Pokemon), and bits of cutscenes that are new/not in Sun & Moon. Scenes that'll make you go from "what was that?/what's going on there?" to "WHOA!/WAIT, WHAT?!". If they have any new Alolan Pokemon (I know, an interview said there wasn't) or Ultra Beasts show them mixed in a montage of a batch of new com mons they're adding in (just to make sure players are paying attention), they could also throw in some new Z-Moves as well. If they're bringing back any old characters we can battle (like ones they'd add to the Battle Tree post game) show us a few of them in their "Would Like to Battle" intro. Speaking of which, I'd also include come bits from the Team Rocket story, mostly non-spoiler stuff but ending it with one of the "WHOA!/WAIT, WHAT?!" (Actually, that'll probably be a good way to end it, since right now people are hyped on the Team Rocket reveal). Also I'd include quick glimpses of going to the Legendary locations in Ultra Space and maybe reveal some of the Legendaries in the games (not all, I'm mainly thinking just showing two version exclusives doing their "I'm here" reveal I think all of them and the Ultra Beasts will have when you get to the battling locations in their home world).

I wouldn't show any spoilers or at least in their entirety (plus I'd leave plenty out so there are surprises for the player to experience first hand). Basically the point of this would be to show that, yes, there are plenty of new things in USUM that they haven't shown us and it's not just a second run through the Island Challenge. Prove to me that when I'm done playing, I'm not thinking this is just Sun and Moon with extra content, that this is ULTRA Sun and ULTRA Moon: The Ultra-ing: Ultra Un-Cut Edition.

I think the lack of any more Alola forms has been really conspicuous.
Considering how in the run up to S&M we got reveals of them trickled out to us I've been kinda dismayed at how they've been absent from the hype surrounding USUM.

Maybe they just flat out aren't making any more. This is what I'm scared of as they touted it as such a big feature of the Alola region that to not see any new ones in USUM feels like it would be a real shame.

Not seeing any more Alola forms or UBs is definitely pretty disconcerting. Also there's still no news on a possible fourth form for Necrozma (from the cover art). Any more new mons/formes in general seem unlikely.

There are still two Thursdays (three if we include the day before release) for them to reveal new information. What they'd want to do now is to show enough to generate hype and make us excited (which they've done a good job of) without revealing too much about the game. Anything less than what has already been revealed will be a disappointment, and I'm sure they know that. If this Serebii page is accurate (which it should be), then they still released Z Moves and Ultra Beasts a few days prior to the release of SM, so I wouldn't rule out any more huge (new Alola forms, Ultra Beasts, Z Moves etc.) reveals yet.

Last edited:
Eh, so when I revisited the trailer showing Sol/Luna's respective Z- move, apparently Necrozma in its combined form can also launch the same attack as long the conditions (mentioned in the old thread) are met.
This suddenly popped into my mind: Will the Z- crystal from the other side be also available for their opposing games (ie Sun getting Lunala Z and vice versa)? They handed out an extra Cosmog for you in SM to evolve into a legendary, while it is impossible to evolve into the other version legendary without others to evolve it for you, it nevertheless gave the player a chance to get the other legendary without the need of getting rid of your own.
I will probably safely assume even this might not be the case anymore in USUM, most people might already have both Legendaries in SM, then will it be possible for GF to also implement both crystals into the game? Although it seems more likely than not, IMO.

And I also wouldn't want some major spoiling leaks, last time SM leaks are pretty much insane and really spoiled the game, even though it's pretty entertaining to watch tbh.
Apart from that weirdness with Deoxys in gen 3, they’ve generally been pretty thorough about not making any Pokemon or moves fully version exclusive (i.e. you can’t get them in the other version even by trading). They’ll almost certainly do something like the other starter crystals in SM and have some random person gift you the crystal.

Think of something like the starters Z-crystals in S/M: you get one first, but then *eventually* you also get the other 2 iirc.

Quite sure the Z-crystal for the legendary should be featured in same way, you get the cover lege first then the other one in another way or after clearing the game, OR it's just the same Z-crystal (Think Tapunium-Z)

The download card showed the MC riding on the opposite game’s cover legend in Ultra Space, so i think it’s more likely you get the Z-crystal for it at the same time (aka when you unlock the ability to travel through Ultra Space), with the Z-Crystal for your game’s legend being given in-story.

0:12: So, this is the Mewtwo encounter... Mewtwo just standing in Ultra Space. Looks very much like the scene after Hoopa's ring drops the Legendary.
If there's no reference to Hoopa in Ultra Sun/Moon I'll be disappointed.

Since this feels like it's the commercial trailer I'm not surprised we got pretty much no information out of it.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Ugh wtf
This makes no sense. Why would a man made experiment being floating around in ultra space? Unless now they're gonna say...
1. Every game took place in a different universe.
2. They're all portals to the same universe
3. The legendaries ran off into it themselves (which is believable for some, including mewtwo)

Still, I wish they did let us go to their respective worlds. That would have been great.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
edit: that is the strongest ninja on this entire site
I'm so ninja, even I didn't notice until a while later you posted mere seconds/nanoseconds after me, lol.

Ugh wtf
This makes no sense. Why would a man made experiment being floating around in ultra space? Unless now they're gonna say...
1. Every game took place in a different universe.
2. They're all portals to the same universe
3. The legendaries ran off into it themselves (which is believable for some, including mewtwo)

Still, I wish they did let us go to their respective worlds. That would have been great.
(While playing the Ultra Space Ride you collect enough rings and see a strange looking Ultra Wormhole open up)
A powerful force is emanating through this wormhole. Open it?
> Yes No
(Cutscene of wormhole opening you and riding inside it. Inside is a pocket Ultra Space where another wormhole opens up and out of it the Legendary falls from it (think both Hoopa's ring and the Sm cutscene with Buzzwole/Pheromosa come out of the wormhole). Legendary battle start)

Yeah, much like with Hoopa's rings, after seeing we're just battling Mewtwo in Ultra Space I have no hopes that they'd make the Legendary hunt interesting. They'll probably be in a wormhole you'll need to activate during the Ultra Space Ride and once you do the Legendary battle starts. No explanation why, or if there is it would be a throwaway line that it's just grabbing the Legendary from wherever it is (maybe according to the trainer's whim, they are afterall riding an Ultra Beast that can open wormholes). If there's one thing I could maybe hope for is maybe an Ultra Space remix of their theme... but if the Battle Tree opponents in SM are anything to go by they're just going to milk nostalgia and re-use their original game's battle theme to hint they're being grabbed from throughout time as well.

If there's no reference to Hoopa in Ultra Sun/Moon I'll be disappointed.
At most if they do that throwaway line and it's by someone who would be aware of the Hoopa incident, like Burnet, she may bring it up. Otherwise in-world it's different how this is happening or at least what's causing it.

That cutscene of Dawn Wings Necrozma just summoning a crapload of portals is pretty interesting.
Yeah, at first I didn't have anything to say about that part except Necrozma showing off its new power, though thinking about it more I'm curious if that's maybe why there's new Ultra Beasts (aside from adhesion), Necroma opened more wormholes causing more to surge through. This may alter things, like now the Ultra Beasts are too much of a threat the player needs to take immediate action right away or changes the post game Ultra Beast Hunt in some way like we actually have to look in multiple locations (found it odd how you were given two locations you could go to but no matter which one you went too all the Ultra Beasts you were catching were there, like why the other location than?) or do additional things before we can get to catching the Ultra Beasts.

Was hoping they have a more dope way of introducing former legendaries into Ultra Space wormholes, but apparently it's just another Hoopa wormhole without the "dropping from the wormhole" animation and has a re-coloured background. GF probably is like "aw screw this we ain't got time making 3D maps for absolutely everyone after all those UB home turf crap" and just brought out the same Hoopa wormhole crap again. Welp.
This brings some more problems though, in the form of "how do you control which pokemon/UB you wanna grab in this run?". In Hoopa Wormholes it's pretty much fixed and very VERY well-understood by the enthusiasts, but now they combined the feature with a fairly quick and possibly chaotic gameplay. Maybe there will be more visual cues?
The animation for Dawn Wings/Dusk Mane is pretty awesome though, finally we will be able to see something that is at least cooler than that of XY and SM's introduction.

In Hoopa Wormholes it's pretty much fixed and very VERY well-understood by the enthusiasts, but now they combined the feature with a fairly quick and possibly chaotic gameplay. Maybe there will be more visual cues?
I REALLY hope they at least make it possible to save in front of the legendary without doing the minigame every damn time.

If there's one thing I could maybe hope for is maybe an Ultra Space remix of their theme... but if the Battle Tree opponents in SM are anything to go by they're just going to milk nostalgia and re-use their original game's battle theme to hint they're being grabbed from throughout time as well.
Ugh. I hate this new trend.

I REALLY hope they at least make it possible to save in front of the legendary without doing the minigame every damn time.
Oh Gott, i really forgot about this one. The SR-ing in ORAS is already insane for most legendaries, so assuming that the minigame in this ultra space exploration is regulated by RNGs then the SR hell will be real this time (although UBs will not be as painful as they seem to have turfs and hence place to save).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)