Pokemon MOBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright first, let me say that this is the largest forum i've ever been a part of and I havn't got a single clue if this is even a remotely correct forum to post in.

Anyway, first post blah blah blah. Been coming on smogon a bit and watching Spades videos yadda yadda. whatever.

Getting to the post which will mainly concern those that have played DotA-like MOBA's/games.

About a month ago i thought of "hey wouldn't it be cool if there was a League of legends/Dota style game but with pokemon?" seems pretty cool on paper.

For those of you curious, this is a relative idea of Dota-like games which this would be based off of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DotA

oh yeah and my computer was dumb, search function wasn't working, i tried that first at least, so meh.

You'd be able to choose any pokemon you wish, but they all have different skillsets depending on the evolution line. For example Dratini would have 2-3 different abilities than Dragonite, however just because Dragonite is fully evolved doesn't make it any better than Dratini. Dratini would fill a different niche based off of its moves.

As for leveling... i was thinking a new system, you would have to purchase (with poke or other ingame currency) your moves and/or additional ranks and instead of leveling you would increase your stats by purchasing cheap boosts in the form of consumables (protein, calcium, etc) or items which serve as relics (thunderstone would serve a different and unique function for elec pokemon. etc.)

As per other MOBA games, pokemon would combat other players and mini weedle/caterpie which would serve as "creeps". Knocking out an opposing pokemon yields Poke to nearby allies who assisted in KO, leaving them in respawn mode for thier duration.

An example of an ingame pokemon would be similar to:

Pikachu: The electric mouse

Passive ability: Static, contact with this pokemon has x chance to paralyze, giving y reduced movement speed for z seconds (or until reaching base/remedy with item.)

Move 1: Quick Attack, <pokemon> gains maximum movement speed, dealing x damage as he/she passes through opponents. Lasts Y seconds and cannot be slowed down/immobilized.

Move 2: Thunder Wave, <pokemon> fires a weak electric jolt at a target, paralyzing them, slowing by X, for Y seconds (or permanent until remedied?).

Move 3: Iron Tail, <pokemon> hardens thier tail and slams a foe dealing damage and has X chance to raise defense by Y for Z seconds. Stackable.

Move 4 (ultimate ability): Thunder, <pokemon> calls down a lightning storm for X seconds, for the duration, lightning bolts deal Y damage in their radius and has a chance to paralyze. Bolts deal bonus damage to paralyzed enemies.

You get the picture, pikachu would be a powerful carry/dps pokemon reliant on positioning and probably team support as well.

Pokemon would have a "PP pool" which serves as mana for their abilities and doesn't regenerate over time, instead by items or going to base. Each move drains a certain amount from the pool and has it's own unique cooldown based on the pokemon.

So really, the purpose is to see if others think this is a remotely decent idea and see if we can get a discussion going. If this is deemed stupid/uninteresting, sorry.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
this sounds like an intriguing idea, and you might find some cool talent here, but smogon is probably not going to lend you any official support or endorsement, because that's not what this place is really about.

here's a good suggestion if you wanna try stuff like this: find a copy of an old dota map for warcraft III, and learn how to mod it (the map is edit proofed but there are ways around it - it's been a while so I forget how). i used to do a lot of wc3 modding and it's a good place to start if you want to do something like this, because you don't have to write the whole damn game yourself, which is too much work from scratch for any one person. from there if you have a product you can probably create more interest - maybe not here, but perhaps on wc3 modding forums like thehelper (who would have guessed a place like that would have a wc3 modding section!?). who knows.

again though, don't expect too much from over here on smogon. you might meet some other people who are interested, but ultimately smogon will not be lending its support to anything unless it directly relates to competitive pokemon play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)