Pokemon Elections

Which Of The Winners (And Loser) Would You Have Voted For?

• Greninja

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Arceus

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Mew

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Sylveon

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Simisear

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The (Japanese) Pokemon Elections for the upcoming movie, Volcanion & The Ingenious Magearna, are over and the results are in:

1. Greninja

2. Arceus

3. Mew

4. Pikachu

5. Sylveon

Greninja will be distributed at the movie with the only thing known about it is it'll be holding a Master Ball. It's also mentioned the elections would be used for upcoming merchandise and an upcoming New Nintendo 3DS LL in CoroCoro, though it's not clear whether it'll just be for Greninja, the top winning Pokemon, or its just the entire election result in general (which I'm going to say for merchandise this is probably be the case). Of course this is only in Japan so who knows if it means anything for outside of Japan, though when this happened last for time for the 15th Anniversary everyone else got their own elections (last time everyone pretty much picked Arceus except Japan which picked Rayquaza and got one with V-Create).

Anyway you can check out the other placements HERE. As a fun fact, Simisear came dead last at #720.

So, if we do have elections who would you vote for?

(Now that I don't need any of the Event Legendaries aside from upcoming ones)

I would have totally voted for Gengar as it is my favorite Pokémon of the first six generations.
Also, poor Simisear. I actually like it as I used it when I played Black and it was a good team member who stayed in my team throughout the game.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Here's some thing I'd like to point out about the rankings.

First of all, something beat Arceus. I'm surprised and am wondering who is and isn't surprised.
How is Sylveon in the Top 5? I somehow find Magnemite at 24 more believable. (I figure that one troll found out how to submit a ton of votes for it. Also, I don't like Sylveon.)
Meloetta at 10th... Seriously?
The Top ranking Pokemon that isn't Important in the Anime, The star of Any Movie, Legendary, or Magnemite is Archeops (32rd) I'm not sure if anyone saw that coming. (The Second that isn't any of the listed is Gengar at 35th.)
I thought Latios (55th) would be more popular that Latias (48th)
Magikarp is in the top 100. (91st to be exact.)
Porygon also is in the Top 100. (96th) Maybe they should give it an episode now... :P
I'm not referencing the meme about 100th.
Simisear at 720? There's stuff I'd rather see at that rank (For example, Slacking because of picking its nose in its Gen IV sprite) but this guy is very understandable at the bottom, and that's coming from someone that used him in Black.
I want to see more than the Top 100 and Worst spot. :(

Some of my observations:
1. Greninja: while I new he'd be up there, I didn't think he'd win. But then again the anime has been the Greninja show for about two months now, so yeah...
5. Sylveon: Aw yiss!
8. Zygarde: Even if gamefreak forgets you, they remember <3
12. Eevee: #1 in my heart.
24. Magnemite: A surprise but cool. I guess Japan was really into Coil-trades during B2W2.
32. Archeops: Another one I don't quite get.
43. Regigigas: ...seriously? For reference that's higher than L@tios (48, 55) and Goomy (68)
71. Raichu: Aw, they remembered it exists <3
95. Flareon: all Eeveelutions made it into the top 100 except Jolteon and Vaporeon. While I'm upset the best two got knocked out, that's still kind of cool.

Others:
-No Johto starter lines in the top 100.
-Only Oshawott (51) from the Unova starter lines in top 100.

720. Simisear: I'd like to see what 719 is since I doubt this was the only 'mon to get zero votes. And while not coolest 'mon ever, dead last seems really mean (so it got beaten by Klink and Probopass) . I've used one before, it wasn't half bad.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Archeops comes first in Japanese alphabetical order, for the curious.
But is that really a reason to vote for it? Like if you like Archeops then by all means vote for it, but voting it because its first in the Japanese Pokemon alphabet?
Yes. People are stupid. They probably didn't even know there was a second page (let alone 10/15/20/however many pages) to the votes. This is eerily consistent with the other "election" thread that Cresselia~~ Posted here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-not-more-popular.3566579/page-2#post-6782583 (Which I am also sure is almost the exact same results... At least, the top 5 are).

Never underestimate people to not realise what they are doing. A large majority of people would have just seen one page and clicked their favourite from that one page, without looking for their own favourite (which would likely be a few pages down). Probably explains why a bunch of Pokemon are "popular" in these votes, and why they wouldn't necessarily be popular with a "true" vote.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
This is the same election to what I have posted a while ago.
The only difference is, Pikachu315111 posted the final results.
What I posted was the middle results.

I voted for Jynx, by the way. Someone gave me the movie ticket code for free.
Yes. People are stupid. They probably didn't even know there was a second page (let alone 10/15/20/however many pages) to the votes. This is eerily consistent with the other "election" thread that Cresselia~~ Posted here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-not-more-popular.3566579/page-2#post-6782583 (Which I am also sure is almost the exact same results... At least, the top 5 are).

Never underestimate people to not realise what they are doing. A large majority of people would have just seen one page and clicked their favourite from that one page, without looking for their own favourite (which would likely be a few pages down). Probably explains why a bunch of Pokemon are "popular" in these votes, and why they wouldn't necessarily be popular with a "true" vote.
Ya, there was some misunderstanding about the voting. Some people thought there was only 1 page, which contained 5 Pokemon that begins with A.
This includes Archeops, Armaldo, Ekans, Archens, and Arbok.

Untitled.png

Top 100 will become merchandise. Let's see how many people buy Armaldo stuff...

Attachments

Last edited:
The a pokemon anomalies aside, it is strange that mons such as Gyarados, Nidoking and Tyranitar didn't make the top 100. They all rated extremely highly in Dorkly's poll a few years ago no? Is the East that different to the West?

Cresselia~~

The a pokemon anomalies aside, it is strange that mons such as Gyarados, Nidoking and Tyranitar didn't make the top 100. They all rated extremely highly in Dorkly's poll a few years ago no? Is the East that different to the West?
The East is very different from the West. Beauty standards are really different.

Most notably, Mr. Mime is very popular in Japan.
Most Japanese people like Magikarp more than Gyarados. In fact, I haven't seen any Japanese people who say they like Gyarados. But as you see, Magikarp is indeed very popular in Japan.
Jynx also has some popularity in Japan. It probably is within Top 200~300.
Oh, and Lopunny has always been popular even before getting a Mega.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Oh, when you vote they have Archeops set as the default since its first alphabetically? *Sigh* This is why many polls has the default either a blank space or something saying "pick below" and if you submit without choosing anything it gives you an error. Otherwise stuff like this happens (which is bad if the purpose of this is to collect data on future merchandise. You want to make things clear as possible).

Reactions: JES

Cresselia~~

Oh, when you vote they have Archeops set as the default since its first alphabetically? *Sigh* This is why many polls has the default either a blank space or something saying "pick below" and if you submit without choosing anything it gives you an error. Otherwise stuff like this happens (which is bad if the purpose of this is to collect data on future merchandise. You want to make things clear as possible).
No no no.
Nothing was auto-selected. You clearly didn't read my post.

As you can see in this picture, there are 12 pages, in alphabetical order, starting with A.
Pokemon on the first page due to alphabetical order are Archeops, Archen, Ekans, Arbok, Armaldo, Durant, Accelgor, Azelf, Beautifly, and Meditite.

The problem is, a lot of people thought there was only 1 page. That's why they were "forced" to vote the above Pokemon.

And that's why you have seemingly unpopular Pokemon like Ekans, Arbok, Armaldo ending in Top 100. They were on page 1.

http://www.dorkly.com/toplist/56974/the-greatest-pokemon-of-all-time-vote-now

For anyone that's interested in and East vs West comparison- Dorkly claims to have had 'millions' of votes vs Tokyo's 500 000 or so, and the voting took a slightly different format (top 15 of each generation then a top 90 out of those) but it makes a very interesting comparison nonetheless. (Noticeably that Greninja came in all the way at 68, Blastoise made the top 3, and bizarrely Quilava came in at 52) (No Arbok, Armaldo, Archen or Archeops in sight...)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
No no no.
Nothing was auto-selected. You clearly didn't read my post.

As you can see in this picture, there are 12 pages, in alphabetical order, starting with A.
Pokemon on the first page due to alphabetical order are Archeops, Archen, Ekans, Arbok, Armaldo, Durant, Accelgor, Azelf, Beautifly, and Meditite.

The problem is, a lot of people thought there was only 1 page. That's why they were "forced" to vote the above Pokemon.

And that's why you have seemingly unpopular Pokemon like Ekans, Arbok, Armaldo ending in Top 100. They were on page 1.
Ah, now I understand. Let me guess, you turned the page by clicking the arrows on the bottom which have the "1 / 72" between them?

Cresselia~~

Ah, now I understand. Let me guess, you turned the page by clicking the arrows on the bottom which have the "1 / 72" between them?
Yup. That is, if you are voting via TV.

If you are voting via internet (like I did), it is different. You have to fill in the Pokedex number of your favorite Pokemon.
If you don't know how to do it, you can still search the Pokemon via its type.

I just want a shiny Zygarde that I can name Abomasnow, and can transfer into Sun, so I can get the ultimate/100% form.

No point in voting for one of my favorite designs, like Gengar or Rotom, since, chances has it I've already bred them, 31IVs, egg moves, and all!

Oh wait, I would like a Moody Bidoof!

I would vote for:
upload_2016-6-8_14-35-36.png

I noticed Spinda & Ambipom look like they're balancing on top of Avalugg in the pokemon mash-up at the top of the page; they still managed to be creative even though they were restricted to using official artwork. Similarly, Abra is on Aurorus's back.

Cresselia~~

http://www.dorkly.com/toplist/56974/the-greatest-pokemon-of-all-time-vote-now

For anyone that's interested in and East vs West comparison- Dorkly claims to have had 'millions' of votes vs Tokyo's 500 000 or so, and the voting took a slightly different format (top 15 of each generation then a top 90 out of those) but it makes a very interesting comparison nonetheless. (Noticeably that Greninja came in all the way at 68, Blastoise made the top 3, and bizarrely Quilava came in at 52) (No Arbok, Armaldo, Archen or Archeops in sight...)
Is Sylveon really that unpopular in the West? (83) (Less votes than Braviary?? Seriously?)
I'm shocked.
Nearly every Asian girl loves Sylveon, and a lot of males love Sylveon too.
I guess it's because the West still view fairy types negatively? They don't have this negativity towards fairy types in Japan.

I'm really surprised Electivire is on the list too. Like no one cares about Electivire in Japan.

It seems that the votes from the West favor towards masculine/ manly Pokemon. Whilst votes from the East have even distribution between cute / feminine mons and masculine/ cool mons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Is Sylveon really that unpopular in the West? (83) (Less votes than Braviary?? Seriously?)
I'm shocked.
I guess it's because the West still view fairy types negatively? They don't have this negativity towards fairy types in Japan.

I'm really surprised Electivire is on the list too. Like no one cares about Electivire in Japan.

It seems that the votes from the West favor towards masculine/ manly Pokemon. Whilst votes from the East have even distribution between cute / feminine mons and masculine/ cool mons.

I'm shocked.
I guess it's because the West still view fairy types negatively? They don't have this negativity towards fairy types in Japan...
...It seems that the votes from the West favor towards masculine/ manly Pokemon. Whilst votes from the East have even distribution between cute / feminine mons and masculine/ cool mons.
I thought Sylveon was more popular than that. I mean, I like it. I use it.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I find your post quite interesting, but this?!?

Electivire is a freaking electric troll. It's the kind of beast that would happily tear steel doors apart to break into power stations and chug down on power from a poorly guarded transformer, or topple power line towers to suck on high-voltage lines. It's a monster with arms like tree trunks, two tails with high-voltage electricity constantly running through them, fists like wrecking balls and a permanent sneer that truly tells the world how badass it is. And it's covered in fur which constantly rakes up sparks of static electricity. Also, it can call lightning strikes at will.

Electivire would have been awesome even without the whole electricity shebang. With it, it's easily the most badass Electric type out there. It doesn't have the grace of Raikou or the agility of Jolteon, but it's a mighty creature with a well-deserved fan base. And in the wild, I think Electivire would wipe its arse with Sylveon.

The other interesting thing is the west seems no where near as enamoured with legendaries as the east- 8 out of the top 30 in Dorkly's poll vs 23 in the top 30 in the Japanese election (although as has been said, the Japanese results may have been skewed by the hopes of a distribution).

Mew is also the only mythical pokemon that made the top 90 in Dorkly's poll vs every mythical making the top 25 in Japan

I'm shocked.

Haha, braviary was a bad example to pick. As pikachu315111 referenced it is literally the closest thing to America personified as a Pokemon. But yeah, there definitely seems to be some discrepancies between east and west opinions. Most of the people I know here in America would have a drastically different list. Things like tyranitar, ursaring, feraligatr, nidoking, and the likes would be rated much much higher if the poll was here.

I originally posted this over at the Event Discussion thread:
So somehow Greninja won the poll for who gets distributed alongside Volcanion at the movie. Was hoping for Zygarde or Floette or something so they'd have an excuse to push out the remaining event-exclusives before they get locked out of Gen VI permanently, but nope. :(

Also, boo to single-vote polls (including the one at the top of this thread) :pirate:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok, really?
My least favorite Pokémon of all time managed to win it all, so they'll be distributing it?
I'd voice my opinion on Greninja more, but the Unpopular Opinions thread is locked for some reason... (unlocked now)
I'm at least kind of happy that Zygarde -- one of my favorites -- made it into the Top 10. Still, it looks like it won't be getting much attention without a game for it, and for some reason its shiny form still isn't available.
Zygarde just needs its own movie in my opinion. It's really a shame that it just got passed by, even though people clearly wanted its distribution (as seen by its placing).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)