Sticky Pokemon Direct - 6th June Discussion - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost certainly a statement of "Hey look! New game! We Don't have any info! But we'll show you some of the pictures you've already seen and stuff you already know, get the next one for two lines about new things in the game!"
If i was a betting man, and i really ain't, i would bet that this month will be exactly that, next month will be the E3 Stuff, and August/September/October and maybe November will have new stuff.

Edit: although that does seem to be extremely likely... so maybe i should be a betting man.

Last edited:
My biggest hope for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is to add a button to skip all the cutscenes.

I know it sounds weird but I am tired of all the SuMo cutscenes as it hurt the replay value. :(

I actually prefer replaying XY/ORAS instead of SuMo. >.>

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
think we'll see any new USUM developments in corocoro this month?
Normally, I'd say "They will probably just rehash the announcement", but since CoroCoro is released after Nintendo's E3 conference (on June 13), there might be a slight chance that they will rehash what is announced there too. But as we all know, CoroCoro tends to leak a few days before publishing, roughly on the 11th or so every month. This would mean the contents of the June issue will be spread across the Internet before the conference. And of course, TPC is really good at pretending (or not noticing) the consistent CoroCoro leaks. If they are naïve enough to put E3 information in the June issue, because the conference will be a couple of days before CoroCoro is released (on the 15th), we will get the E3 info from the leaked CoroCoro.

But chances are that somebody in charge are savvy enough to have noticed this trend, and therefore made sure that CoroCoro doesn't carry any important information this month.

Kurona HGSS is $49.99 USD in the aftermarket here, and Pokémon games are usually $39.99 in American currency. It's pricey here as well. It's possible that Virtual GSC may lower that, but we don't know quite yet.

Kinda slightly off-topic maybe, but at least in the UK HGSS is a bit pricey on the aftermarket. Anyone think the VC release of gold/silver would decrease that aftermarket price?
No not a chance, if anything it will boost the price because nostalgia will trigger and people will go looking for it again, as soon as Game (/Gamestop i think it is in the US) smell a whiff of fleecing people they'll bump the prices up further, its all business. If you watch as well all pokemon games gain like 25% of their value when a new game is released, Eg. I got BW2 for £25 around when XY was released, its price dipped to £20 after ORAS had died down and jumped to £30 when SM was released iirc, but then this is just from my observations so never know miracles could happen.

Edit: Sorry for being the fun sucker on that issue xD

Last edited:
I honestly just want 3 things:

1) Kommo-O and starter buffs.
2) More Z-Moves
3) New Megas

I know that only z moves are the only ones that are likely, but I thought megas were cool and would love if they kept making. I feel like Kommo-O could use that shell smash they took away from him. :p

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Something no one here has pointed out yet is the best part about the GS Rerelease is that these versions don't have save files that are tied to long dead internal batteries.

By the way, can the official abbreviation of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon games please be Ultra SuMo? If the Cover Legends are over the top, the names should be too. :P

I honestly just want 3 things:

1) Kommo-O and starter buffs.
2) More Z-Moves
3) New Megas

I know that only z moves are the only ones that are likely, but I thought megas were cool and would love if they kept making. I feel like Kommo-O could use that shell smash they took away from him. :p
1. Maybe, DP is what its screaming for, Shell Smash would send it into a niche OU sweeper class most likely, Starters we're waiting for the hidden abilities, wouldn't think they'd get much more of a buff bar maybe one or two coverage moves
2. A certainty
3. Not for a very long time, Everyone loves them, they break the metagame, none are coming until they rework the mechanic, imo

Something no one here has pointed out yet is the best part about the GS Rerelease is that these versions don't have save files that are tied to long dead internal batteries.

By the way, can the official abbreviation of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon games please be Ultra SuMo? If the Cover Legends are over the top, the names should be too. :P
I've just been calling them USUM. Which sounded rather silly the first time I typed it out. Part of why I like it

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I've just been calling them USUM. Which sounded rather silly the first time I typed it out. Part of why I like it
But Ultra SuMo, is so much more stupid... Maybe I could make Ultra Sumo a thing if I teach a Buzzwole Sumo Wrestling. The Cover Legends could be facepalming at "Ultra SuMo Confirmed"... Yeah, we're still going to end up calling them USUM even if I do get fan art of that. By the way, can I have fan art of that?

I'd like to say something even remotely serious to try to justify this post, but I don't think there's much to talk about left... Um, is there any Gen 1 or 2 Pokemon that wants Curse? Some people already said Snorlax, but he already gets it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm good with USM. I'm thinking along the lines of what we call Black 2 & White 2, many refer to it as BW2 so Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon should have something similar. Keep it simple.

Anyway I re-watched the USM debut trailer/sneak peak and though to quickly comment on somethings:

Player's Room: I noticed something that looked different about so checking back I figured it out: in place of a Pikachu Doll there's a drawing of something. Can't tell what it is but it's an odd change to make. Now I'm not saying it's going to have major impact in the story, but I'm curious why the change and if maybe the picture either tells us something about the playable character or if its going to foreshadow something.
Route 1: Aside the path leading up to Iki Town having bloomed with more colorful flowers on the bushes, the player's house has the garage open (revealing a car parked inside, which I'm kind of surprised as where are we going to drive it?) and there's a surfboard leaning on the side of the garage (who owns that? Mom? Doesn't seem like asurfer, than again how enthusiastic she is about Alola guess it wouldn't be surprising to hear she can/tried to learn to surf. Or maybe something of dad's? Ooh, that would be a twist! Instead of of our mom it's our dad who we moved with to Alola (or maybe actually give us an entire family unit this time around)!).
Pikachu Haven: Hmm, I noticed there's a Trial Guide nearby so maybe this is for a new trial? Thinking about it, considering that your only a Trial Captain until your 20 its an ever-changing position so maybe we may have a whole new slew of Trial Captains. Course if they did that they would probably be types not used before (unless this is a Psychic-type trial and just messing with expectations). Though there's still that Gym factor hanging around.
Togedemaru: Totem Pokemon? Though it's not glowing, so what else could it be? Start of a Gym Battle? That would be a neat battle transition.
Mimikyu & Lycanroc (Midday Form): Probably new Z-Moves. Hopefully they don't forget Lycanroc Midnight Form (wonder if they'll share the same Z-Crystal like the Tapu).
N-Solgaleo Stomp: Hmm, when N-Solgaleo stomped its foot it looked like it was at the alter (before switching to showing us it in Ten Carat Hill background). So will this transformation/fusion/armoring up be done at the alter?
Z-Twist: A few things about the Z-Ring scene. One, the Z-Ring is now different. Where it was mainly white before, now its mainly black. Only part that remained white was the top triangle/arrow and the "Z" symbol. Second and probably more important, the Z-Crystal in there is like no other Z-Crystal. What Z-Crystal is it. Third and finally, you twist to activate it. Is it just for that Z-Crystal, or is that how you activate all Z-Crystals now (which I would much prefer as the poses looked silly).

Next november, it's time for some Ultra S&M :<

best pokemon marketing slogan ever

On a serious note I remember Pokken having a decent reception in the FGC but it has remainded silent after the Pokken DX announcement, wonder what happened?

Honestly I wouldn't want Mimikyu being part of another trial again. We already had it in the first game, and I get it's popular, but like they said we'll see "new pokemon" in the spotlight this time, so why reuse it again?

I'm good with USM. I'm thinking along the lines of what we call Black 2 & White 2, many refer to it as BW2 so Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon should have something similar. Keep it simple.

Anyway I re-watched the USM debut trailer/sneak peak and though to quickly comment on somethings:

Player's Room: I noticed something that looked different about so checking back I figured it out: in place of a Pikachu Doll there's a drawing of something. Can't tell what it is but it's an odd change to make. Now I'm not saying it's going to have major impact in the story, but I'm curious why the change and if maybe the picture either tells us something about the playable character or if its going to foreshadow something.
Route 1: Aside the path leading up to Iki Town having bloomed with more colorful flowers on the bushes, the player's house has the garage open (revealing a car parked inside, which I'm kind of surprised as where are we going to drive it?) and there's a surfboard leaning on the side of the garage (who owns that? Mom? Doesn't seem like asurfer, than again how enthusiastic she is about Alola guess it wouldn't be surprising to hear she can/tried to learn to surf. Or maybe something of dad's? Ooh, that would be a twist! Instead of of our mom it's our dad who we moved with to Alola (or maybe actually give us an entire family unit this time around)!).
Pikachu Haven: Hmm, I noticed there's a Trial Guide nearby so maybe this is for a new trial? Thinking about it, considering that your only a Trial Captain until your 20 its an ever-changing position so maybe we may have a whole new slew of Trial Captains. Course if they did that they would probably be types not used before (unless this is a Psychic-type trial and just messing with expectations). Though there's still that Gym factor hanging around.
Togedemaru: Totem Pokemon? Though it's not glowing, so what else could it be? Start of a Gym Battle? That would be a neat battle transition.
Mimikyu & Lycanroc (Midday Form): Probably new Z-Moves. Hopefully they don't forget Lycanroc Midnight Form (wonder if they'll share the same Z-Crystal like the Tapu).
N-Solgaleo Stomp: Hmm, when N-Solgaleo stomped its foot it looked like it was at the alter (before switching to showing us it in Ten Carat Hill background). So will this transformation/fusion/armoring up be done at the alter?
Z-Twist: A few things about the Z-Ring scene. One, the Z-Ring is now different. Where it was mainly white before, now its mainly black. Only part that remained white was the top triangle/arrow and the "Z" symbol. Second and probably more important, the Z-Crystal in there is like no other Z-Crystal. What Z-Crystal is it. Third and finally, you twist to activate it. Is it just for that Z-Crystal, or is that how you activate all Z-Crystals now (which I would much prefer as the poses looked silly).

Detective Pikachu on the job, have to agree with you on just about everything there, On the z crystal I had a thought, could be a z crystal from Ultra Space, the whole Ultra space and "Faller" concept I think can be utilized and developed in such a way that you could enhance the z ring to use some of the ultra space energy/signature you possess for passing through the ultra space, Which could be symbolism of the twisting the crystal. Or something of a similar ilk, It may also be a Z move that acts as the DNA splicers. Two different ideas, not sure yet which i prefer, I guess the former means that we could have more of a plot that works in better context with the Z moves and also possibly Necrozma (A bit ORAS esque with Mega Stones)

Another just small side note, are we gonna get context to do with the Alien/Confused old guy in the desert? Just another possible easter egg to foreshadow something in USM

Some sites say that USM will feature Pokemon that did not appear in SM. Talking from experience with past releases, does this mean actual NEW pokemon or does this mean new forms like the rotoms, kyurem-bw or shaymin?

Some sites say that USM will feature Pokemon that did not appear in SM. Talking from experience with past releases, does this mean actual NEW pokemon or does this mean new forms like the rotoms, kyurem-bw or shaymin?
I think many hints more as new Alola forms as they don't require explicitly expanding the Pokedex. Although the idea of Gen7.5 is somewhat funny too.

Real new Pokemon would make comparability with SuMo very difficult, which makes it incredibly unlikely, and Pokemon have not done such a thing before. Even with Gen 7 breaking a lot of old habits it seems unlikely that they would cross this line. The addition of Alola formes seems much easier to code and update to the original SuMo because they share things like Dex Number, etc with their Original Counterpart. Perhaps as another user earlier in the thread speculated, we might see Gen 2 Forms because of the release of GS for the VC

Speaking of the release, it would be an incredibly strange choice to not release Crystal on the VC as well. It's one of the most popular main series games so I don't see why they would choose not to release it, it seems like it would have easy profit potential.

Real new Pokemon would make comparability with SuMo very difficult, which makes it incredibly unlikely, and Pokemon have not done such a thing before.
It's not harder than the new alternate formes we've been having since Platinum. All you have to do is say that this new Pokemon cannot be transferred to Sun/Moon.

And if we want to go into specifics, Crystal had fixed a bunch of bugs in Gold and Silver, yet it keeps them for backwards compatibility when playing with either game. It's not farfetched at all.

"New Pokemon not seen in Sun/Moon" can range from something like "Expanded Alola Pokedex" to "New Alolan/Alternate Forms" or even "Totally new Pokemon".

It's not harder than the new alternate formes we've been having since Platinum. All you have to do is say that this new Pokemon cannot be transferred to Sun/Moon.

And if we want to go into specifics, Crystal had fixed a bunch of bugs in Gold and Silver, yet it keeps them for backwards compatibility when playing with either game. It's not farfetched at all.

"New Pokemon not seen in Sun/Moon" can range from something like "Expanded Alola Pokedex" to "New Alolan/Alternate Forms" or even "Totally new Pokemon".
It would still probably upset a lot of Pokemon fans though, so I don't see them doing it. I feel like there would be backlash, and they haven't done such a thing before.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
I would imagine it to be more like how BW or Pt worked, in that it would feature an expanded pokedex. Possibly Alolan formes, but since they weren't datamined in the original games this is less likely (though I would love to be wrong!)

And ORAS had megas that weren't compativle with XY. It has been proven possible for games in the same generation to have things not compatible with other ones... and judging by the wording it seems likely there will be something new.

Even then, adding totally new Pokemon is a lot more complicated than new megas or new forms. With those you have some data to work with rather than creating them from scratch. Which means either they decided to not release the full Pokedex with the first game and held part of it back for some unnecessarily complicated twist/money making scheme (since, again, the new Pokemon wouldn't be usable with Sun/Moon, just USM), or there will too few to make it worth it and they'll likely be Mythics, since they created said Pokemon after the Pokemon for Sun and Moon were finalized.

Odds are very likely it'll be an expanded Alola Dex with a few new additions that weren't in Sun/Moon (and a few subtractions) with "New Alolan Forms and/or Mega Evolutions"' being a likely second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)