Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

Oh, Missingno, will your glitching antics ever end? Seems like Bank will prevent Missingno from being transferred... but Missingno isn't going without a fight. Though Bank has prevented Misisingno from transferring (calling it a "Problematic Pokemon"), if you have any other Pokemon in the Box with it they'll transfer but with one minor hitch: their names have been shifted by one. The first Pokemon in the box will be named "MISSINGNO-", the Pokemon next to them will have that Pokemon's name (be it a nickname of the Pokemon's species), and so on.

Also some sad news, a glitched Mew won't transfer, only ones received via the Event that gave it out. :(
Missingno., messing up with Game Freak since 1996.

You'd think they'd have taken it into account, but no.

(I wonder if this happens with other glitch Pokemon, and what happens with unstable hybrids)

I'm not in a position to test this, but someone on Reddit has posted a method of arbitrary code execution that will make a glitch Mew "legitimate". I didn't see anyone who disputed the method, but I didn't see anyone else who had tried it, either.
Yeah, that's legit. Not to mention you can also make that Mew shiny with my method. Crazy crazy, will try it out soon

The shininess is the same same way it was determined in GSC, so maybe to preserve shininess if they rerelease those on VC.

now can we get the same with red and blue please?
The process is different. The item setup is quite similar, you only need 1 less X Accuracy (x133), but the party is entirely different. I'll try to make another video for Red/Blue this weekend.

Or you can try this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q6zyq/step_by_step_guide_on_how_to_obtain_a/

Haven't tried that one, the item and party set up is different from mine.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's legit. Not to mention you can also make that Mew shiny with my method. Crazy crazy, will try it out soon
I know one shouldn't entirely trust Bulbapedia, but if what they state is true, then Mew transferred from VC technically cannot be shiny.

The OT and Trainer ID used in that ACE code corresponds to a very limited-event Mew for the VC games done in november last year. That Mew (according to Bulbapedia) has all its DVs set to 15, so it won't be shiny.

(Well, unless you consider modifying its DVs as a legit change, though this case is rather difficult to judge)

Last edited:
I know one shouldn't entirely trust Bulbapedia, but if what they state is true, then Mew transferred from VC technically cannot be shiny.

The OT and Trainer ID used in that ACE code corresponds to a very limited-event Mew for the VC games done in november last year. That Mew (according to Bulbapedia) has all its DVs set to 15, so it won't be shiny.
I haven't tested it yet, but theoretically, it should work. My method manipulates Gen 1 DVs individually, that way we can set DVs of any Pokemon to 10. I believe the Bank does not check the DVs of Mew for it to pass (correct me if I'm wrong), only the OT and Trainer ID. Thus, setting that Mew's DVs to 10 and changing its OT and Trainer ID accordingly will not only allow it to pass the Bank checks, but it will also be shiny.

(Well, unless you consider modifying its DVs as a legit change, though this case is rather difficult to judge)
Ahh, I see what you mean. Yeah, that's kinda difficult to assess.

Last edited:
Well look on the bright side, this also means easy Drought Vulpix/Ninetales, Drizzle Politoed, Magic Guard Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam, Regenerator Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking, Cloud Nine Lickitung/Lickilicky, Moxie Gyarados, Imposter Ditto, Hydration Vaporeon, Magic Bounce Espeon, Pixilate Sylveon, and Multiscale Dragonite. :)
That's true! I figured there were other Pokemon with viable HA's that would become easier to get because of this mechanic. Just sad about no No Guard Fissure Machamp :( lol

I'm about to start hunting for Mewtwo in Yellow and I was just wondering if I copied the stats that correspond to a shiny correctly (I don't want to use DV Manipulation, please don't suggest it):

Mewtwo:
Atk- 173
Def- 133, 135, 139, 140, 145, 146, 150, 152
Speed- 201
Special- 234

I'm going to ignore HP since it seems to be irrelevant for shiny hunting in the VC games (if only certain HP values can be shiny please let me know).

In Generation I/II HP depends on the other statistics, so yes, it should be irrelevant.
So if my binary to number conversions are correct, since 10 is necessary for Atk, Spd, and Spe and 10 in binary ends in 0, the HP IV in binary must be 0_00. 0000 results in a 0 IV and 0100 results in a 4 IV. With either of these IVs, a Mewtwo that will become shiny after transferred from Bank will have either 228 HP or 234 HP before the transfer. Am I correct or did I mess up something somewhere?
Anyone knowledgeable about the topic is welcome to answer, as I am not awfully familiar with binary and just sorta used Google hoping what I found was accurate.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I wonder if they'll ever add Gen 2 to the VC.

With HG/SS being so hard to track down these days I'd imagine they'd make a load of dolla from it.
Maybe for Gen II's 20th Anniversary they'll do that. Same for Gen III. Not sure about the DS games unless they do plan on making the Switch a hybrid system which in that case Gen IV and V could be on Switch's virtual console. Though the 3DS games would be considered too new.

When the Bank update was datamined, they did find indicators that GSC would be coming to VC eventually. The Gameboy Icon is apparently tied to seven games, not just four, and there's an as of yet unused icon that consists of an encircled 'G', which indicates a tag for Pokémon Go.

Granted, I don't know how factual this article is, so take from it what you will.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I think I already said it once in this thread, but I would find it weird if they didn't release GSC for the virtual console eventually, even with remakes that still have some degree of connectivity. They have a perfect system in place now that can convert the Gen II mons to VII (since the whole DV/Stat Exp system is the exact same as RBY), and it would finally allow Pokemon from all generations to be transferrable and usable on the current Gen, which ties to the slogan that Game Freak has been pushing for S/M: "It all comes together."

If anything, Pokemon = easy cash grab = happy Game Freak.

And yeah, it's been mentioned that Go would eventually have connectivity to the Gen VII games in the future.

I didn
When the Bank update was datamined, they did find indicators that GSC would be coming to VC eventually. The Gameboy Icon is apparently tied to seven games, not just four, and there's an as of yet unused icon that consists of an encircled 'G', which indicates a tag for Pokémon Go.

Granted, I don't know how factual this article is, so take from it what you will.
I didn't see anything related to Gen 2 VC in that article

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I didn

I didn't see anything related to Gen 2 VC in that article
A Gameboy icon appears to correspond to 7 game IDs, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41. As a total of 7 Pokemon Gameboy games were released, these 7 spots seem to make a whole lot of sense.
Transfers from the first set of games – those set in the Kanto region, Green (Japan), Blue, Red, and Yellow, include the following text. This text is shown in transfers of Pokemon just after "Nature" and before "Characteristic."
7 Pokemon Gameboy games = Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal

7 Pokemon Gameboy games = Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal
Ohhh now I get it, that makes sense thanks.

Also, this at the bottom:
'Considering how well recent Pokemon Sun and Moon global events have gone so far, The Pokemon Company is probably ITCHING to get the Pokemon GO craze attached to Pokemon Sun and Moon as soon as possible.'

Um did we play the same global events? Haven't they all been pretty disastrous so far?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Does anyone have the w sm setup code for Yellow for changing Mew's ID number to 22796 amd OT to GF?
Does this quote answer your question? (The Reddit link).

The process is different. The item setup is quite similar, you only need 1 less X Accuracy (x133), but the party is entirely different. I'll try to make another video for Red/Blue this weekend.

Or you can try this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5q6zyq/step_by_step_guide_on_how_to_obtain_a/

Haven't tried that one, the item and party set up is different from mine.

Does this quote answer your question? (The Reddit link).
The instructions in your link are mainly for Red and Blue. Howeve, there was one code for Yellow as well:

http://pastebin.com/5HBY4Adv

Edit: I did the code in the link I posted using w sm and it worked like a dream! Not only did I get Mew from Yellow to Sun, but I couldn't have been luckier with its IV's. I got one with Timid nature (I Rare Candied it to lvl 100 in Yellow, so I knew it would be Timid) and its IV's are 31/0/31/31/31/31. I know all the Mews transferred from RBY get 5x 31 IV's, but this one's Attack is exactly 0, which is awesome.

This code is superior to the R/B one as well in my opinion, as this only changed Mew's OT and ID number, while the other Pokémon and my own Yellow ID/name remained untouched.

Last edited:
I've been having a great time with the virtual console gen 1 games and I'd like to hear if y'all are too.

Most of the time in yellow I name my character Ash (duh) and try to get relatively close to what he has in the anime. My current team includes Pikachu, Butterfree, Haunter and Charmeleon and I've got a Mankey that needs to evolve into Primeape soon.

I've also made a little side quest out of collecting all the available in-game trade Pokemon and transferring them to Sun and Moon to see if I can make a coherent team with them. Right now it consists of these guys from Red Version

LOLA the Jynx
MARC the Lickilicky
CRINKLES the Tangrowth
SPOT the Nidoqueen
SAILOR the Dewgong
TERRY the Nidorina
DUX the Farfetch'd
MARCEL the Mr. Mime

From Yellow I hope to bring over...

RICKY the Machamp
BUFFY the Rhydon

And last but certainly not least, we can't forget all the Pokémon brought forward who have TM moves they can only learn and Gen 1. I've got

Haunter with Mega Drain
Alola Marowak with Bubblebeam

Last edited:
Hey, I've got a question.

I'm getting myself another 3DS. If I 'transfer' all my data from one 3DS to another, will my save game also transfer and remain untouched?

Hey, I've got a question.

I'm getting myself another 3DS. If I 'transfer' all my data from one 3DS to another, will my save game also transfer and remain untouched?
Yup! This is the same for any other downloaded game, Pokémon or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)