Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
There's a bunch of Psychics that do get Thunderbolt (Starmie, Mr. Mime, Girafarig, Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Beheeyem, Meowstick, Malamar, and Oranguru, plus almost every Psychic legendary and Alolan Raichu) and/or Thunder (the same legendaries, Alolan Raichu, a couple of things that also learn T-bolt, plus Reuniclus which gets this but not T-bolt because *shrugs*). That's the weird part.

Also Necrozma's movepool is just a little weird in general. Its levelup moves are mostly Psychic and Rock, so I wonder if it was intended to be /Rock at some point (especially given it's basically a big shiny crystal man).
ESP/ Psychic in Japan is linked a lot with electromagnetic waves

Let's not forget Necrozma is an Ultra Beast, good luck trying to figure the odd decisions they make for those things.
It's as much an ultra beast as Solgaleo & Lunala are and they have fairly normal stuff in their toolkit

I wouldn't be surprised if Necrozma's eventual new form is Psychic/Rock.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Umm, I feel like Looker specifically said that necrozma is NOT an ultra beast
Just because Looker didn't recognize it as such (since it doesn't match what the International Police recognize as an Ultra Beast) doesn't mean it isn't (or at least not an ancient one). Hints to this:
  • All it's stats are prime numbers, just like the Ultra Beasts & the Cosmog family.
  • Necrozma has been said to have a relation with the Cosmog family, and the Aether Foundation believe the Cosmog family are Ultra Beasts.
  • Necrozma is made out of a certain material, much like the other Ultra Beasts.
  • Necrozma's Sun entry:
    Reminiscent of the Ultra Beasts, this life-form, apparently asleep underground, is thought to have come from another world in ancient times.
Necrozma crossed over to the normal Pokemon World during ancient times, probably having something to do with Cosmog, and over time it adapted to our world. The Ultra energy that surround all Ultra Beasts worn off, losing its Beast Boost and revealing a more natural Ability.

Necrozma crossed over to the normal Pokemon World during ancient times, probably having something to do with Cosmog, and over time it adapted to our world. The Ultra energy that surround all Ultra Beasts worn off, losing its Beast Boost and revealing a more natural Ability.
Not so natural, as it cannot be ignored by Mold Breaker-like abilities. I guess it's also part of its otherworldy nature.

Same with Solgaleo and Lunala.

That actually makes me think. The other Ultra Beasts probably have individual abilities beneath the effects of Beast Boost, given said ability stems from the other worldly aura. I could see Kartana having something like Sniper or Technician given it small size and sort of origami/samurai motif gives the impression of delivering few precise cuts for damage.

That said, it makes me wonder if Beast Boost is the generalized ability, or if it just happens to be an approximation of what their individual abilities would be in some fashion.

Maybe this could be the justification for Hidden Abilities on the UB's compared to Legendaries just sort of "having" them without any real reason. A Pheromosa introduced recently as in Sun/Moon would have Beast Boost, whereas one that's been hanging around for a while would have a different ability like Natural Cure, MOld Breaker, Quick Feet, etc. It'd be an interesting way to justify UB appearances in games post Alola.

Just because Looker didn't recognize it as such (since it doesn't match what the International Police recognize as an Ultra Beast) doesn't mean it isn't (or at least not an ancient one). Hints to this:
  • All it's stats are prime numbers, just like the Ultra Beasts & the Cosmog family.
  • Necrozma has been said to have a relation with the Cosmog family, and the Aether Foundation believe the Cosmog family are Ultra Beasts.
  • Necrozma is made out of a certain material, much like the other Ultra Beasts.
  • Necrozma's Sun entry:
Which is why beast balls don't work on him

That actually makes me think. The other Ultra Beasts probably have individual abilities beneath the effects of Beast Boost, given said ability stems from the other worldly aura. I could see Kartana having something like Sniper or Technician given it small size and sort of origami/samurai motif gives the impression of delivering few precise cuts for damage.

That said, it makes me wonder if Beast Boost is the generalized ability, or if it just happens to be an approximation of what their individual abilities would be in some fashion.

Maybe this could be the justification for Hidden Abilities on the UB's compared to Legendaries just sort of "having" them without any real reason. A Pheromosa introduced recently as in Sun/Moon would have Beast Boost, whereas one that's been hanging around for a while would have a different ability like Natural Cure, MOld Breaker, Quick Feet, etc. It'd be an interesting way to justify UB appearances in games post Alola.
(or Nihilego getting a Mold Breaker-ignoring Levitate after a long time in the Pokemon World. It was seen floating in the overworld so it could be)

Perhaps Beast Boost is what their abilities 'turn into' when in the regular Pokemon world. It could go this way: When an Ultra Beast gets into the Pokemon world, they get the Ultra Energy AKA Totem stat boost as well as Beast Boost. After being caught, they lose the stat boost. Eventually they could lose Beast Boost and get a more 'normal' ability.

We never see an Ultra Beast fighting in the Ultra Space, so that little void leaves that point unexplained.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

My guess for possible "natural" Abilities (of existing Abilities, and nothing that'll make it too broken like Huge Power Buzzwole):

Nihilego: Clear Body, Insomnia, Levitate, Liquid Ooze, Trace, Unaware, Unnerve
Buzzwole: Compound Eyes, Defiant, Guts, Hustle, Inner Focus, Intimidate, Mold Breaker, Moxie, Sheer Force, Tinted Lens, Vital Spirit
Pheromosa: Dazzling/Queenly Majesty, Inner Focus, Limber, Mold Breaker, Oblivious, Run Away, Shed Skin, Shield Dust, Tangled Feet, Wonder Skin
Xurkitree: Battery, Galvanize, Illuminate, Insomnia, Lightning Rod, Static, Volt Absorb,
Celesteela: Aftermath, Flare Boost, Flash Fire, Heatproof, Heavy Metal, Overcoat
Kartana: Dry Skin, Infiltrator, Insomnia, Levitate, Light Metal, Mold Breaker, Sniper, Super Luck
Guzzlord: Gluttony, Hyper Cutter, Immunity, Intimidate, Multiscale, No Guard, Pickup, Pressure, Strong Jaw, Thick Fat

But considering how Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma have unique Abilities, and considering the description of the Ultra Beasts, they'd probably also have unique Abilities:

Nihilego: Ability version of Swagger upon entering battle, reflecting how its poison works; Neurotoxin?
Buzzwole: Honestly Beast Boost/Moxie isn't far off what I would give it. So I guess a copy of Moxie with how it would increase its strength; Fluid Drain?
Pheromosa: Inflicting Infatuation upon entering battle (doesn't matter if its genderless); Pheromone?
Xurkitree: Special Attack version of Speed Boost; Power Route (get it? "Route" as in the computer command and "root" as plant roots)?
Celesteela: Fire-type version of Steelworker; Combustion?
Kartana: Cutting/Slashing move version of Iron Fist; Fine/Sharp Blade?
Guzzlord: An Ability that makes all Pokemon in battle lose their item; Vacuum Stomach?

But considering how Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma have unique Abilities, and considering the description of the Ultra Beasts, they'd probably also have unique Abilities
But they are not exactly unique abilities. Sure, unique names, but it's a Multiscale/Clear Body/Solid Rock clone that cannot be bypassed.

Other Ultra Beasts could have the same traits after enough time.

(Although it would be worth of a Mystery the fact that those abilities cannot be ignored by Mold Breaker)

I also wonder if the Ultra Beasts would generally get the same abilities concepts as what normal Pokemon get. Necrozma has been in the normal world for a while and its ability is a Multiscale clone, but does that mean all the Ultra Beasts would have different takes on regular abilities?

I also think it's hard to decide what the abilities would be based on the behavior of the the Ultra Beast itself. Necrozma's Prism Armor is a semi-unique take on defensive abilities like Solid Rock or Filter, which are near consistently given to defensively biased Pokemon, or at least mons whose designs imply defensive or Bulky movement (Mega Aggron, Rhyperrior, Carracosta, Camerupt). Necrozma's design is very angular, looks lithe and dangerous, has an air of swiftness or smoothness despite the Slow trend of Alolan mons it falls into, and the Bulbapedia entry actually states it to be violent while having an offensive signature move. I would expect an ability like a Sniper clone, Berserk, something reflecting its Vicious and offensive behavior.

Along the same line, is there reason to believe that the other Ultra Beasts would be reflective of their behavior with "normal" abilities? Buzzwole looks like it could fit Moxie, but the ability could also play on the trait of draining energy, perhaps boosting draining moves or a self-recovery version of Moxie. Its behavior involves showing off and posturing with its bulk, but that comes about from absorbing vitals out of opponents to supplement that muscle, for example.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Poliwrath:

Almost every image of it has its hands clenched into a fist and some show it doing a punching be it stock art or a sprite. Yet it usually only learns two punching moves: Dynamic Punch by level-up (which isn't even that great) and Ice Punch by Move Tutor (which usually only becomes available in the third version/remakes for some reason). Being part Fighting-type it would get STAB from the following punching moves: Drain Punch, Hammer Arm, Mach Punch, Power-Up Punch, & Sky Uppercut. Yet for some reason it not only doesn't get these and some other punching moves (don't see why it can't learn Bullet Punch or Dizzy Punch either), not even as Egg Moves.

"Well there's a reason for that, Poliwag doesn't have arms"

Neither does Shroomish but it gets all sorts of punching moves via Egg Moves!

Heck, going back to Drain Punch, its usually a Tutor Move yet even then Poliwrath can't learn it. Oh, but for some reason Seismitoad gets it via level-up and these SPECIAL attackers can learn it via Tutor: Oddish family (minus Oddish), Abra, Gengar, Slowpoke family (minus Slowpoke), Drowzee family, Chansey family, Darkrai, Reuniclus, Aromatisse, & Slurpuff.

"Ah, but Poliwrath is part of a split evolution, Politoed doesn't punch"

Neither does Hitmonlee or Hitmontop but that doesn't stop Tyrogue from getting Bullet Punch and Mach Punch.

"Well maybe it gets a good enough Fighting-type move it doesn't need those weaker punching moves"

Poliwrath's highest Fighting-type moves are Dynamic Punch (100 Power, but 50 Accuracy), Submission (80 Power, 80 Accuracy, and does recoil damage), Brick Break (75 Power), and Wake-Up Slap (70 Power though doubles if opponent is Asleep which it could do via Hypnosis but that's still unreliable and wakes up the opponent). Doesn't get Close Combat or Superpower, which it should too BTW.

As a final note for Poliwrath, its Pokedex goes on and on about its swimming prowess. Doesn't get Aqua Jet. Heck, Poliwrath should be thankful they kept Waterfall as a TM, though at the same time it would have probably also liked to learn Liquidation.

As a final overall note, why doesn't Breloom get Iron Fist? It's known for punching so much it gets a pass for learning some via Egg Moves even though its pre-evolution doesn't have any hands or arms.

(Noibat painfully concurs)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gastly makes gas fists. As for Wooper and Shroomish...

Well that's more effective than Kazemon's Love Tap attack (where she would sometimes hurt herself using it).
(though to be fair, the main affect of that move is to infatuate a male opponent, not as an offensive move as Zoey kept using it thus not suppose to hit the opponent at full force)

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why doesn't the Krabby line get Waterfall?

They're crabs that can learn Surf. Water-types that learn Surf generally learn Waterfall too. For some reason, though, Krabby and Kingler were denied the move.

Additionally, it would have really helped them out competitively. Kingler gets Sheer Force, but nothing with which it can really abuse it. With Waterfall, it could run a devastating Life Orb Double Dance set.

I don't really see the reasoning here.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Why doesn't the Krabby line get Waterfall?

They're crabs that can learn Surf. Water-types that learn Surf generally learn Waterfall too. For some reason, though, Krabby and Kingler were denied the move.

Additionally, it would have really helped them out competitively. Kingler gets Sheer Force, but nothing with which it can really abuse it. With Waterfall, it could run a devastating Life Orb Double Dance set.

I don't really see the reasoning here.
They probably think since it has Crabhammer what else would it need, ignoring people might prefer a more accurate move even if its less power.

On the topic of strange Water-type movepools, Lombre and Ludicolo get Fire Punch. Now in most cases, Grass and Water types generally don't get these moves because using them will likely heat up their body to a degree where they'll stop functioning as living beings. Them not learning Fire-type moves outside of Hidden Power makes sense. Some mythological/dragon-like Pokemon of these types do learn Fire moves, which makes sense too because dragons are generally portrayed as breathing fire, but why does Ludicolo get Fire Punch of all things? Is there some kappa mythology I'm missing here?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
On the topic of strange Water-type movepools, Lombre and Ludicolo get Fire Punch. Now in most cases, Grass and Water types generally don't get these moves because using them will likely heat up their body to a degree where they'll stop functioning as living beings. Them not learning Fire-type moves outside of Hidden Power makes sense. Some mythological/dragon-like Pokemon of these types do learn Fire moves, which makes sense too because dragons are generally portrayed as breathing fire, but why does Ludicolo get Fire Punch of all things? Is there some kappa mythology I'm missing here?
Because it's feeling HOT HOT HOT!

I imagined Necrozma being more like the missing link between Tapu and Ultra Beast. The shiny Tapu's shells, for lack of a better word, are all black, which seems intentional and matches Necrozma's color scheme. The Tapu inside form is also black. UBs and Tapus both share the peculiar 570 BST, and both are oddly humanesque compared to "normal" pokemon.

Anyhow, isn't it weird that Magikarp doesn't learn Waterfall? It's based on a Chinese legend about a carp scaling a waterfall to become a dragon and it has been shown scaling waterfalls (at least in the anime).
watcher02.jpg

I mean, it gets Happy Hour from events but not this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)