Pokémon GO

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm looking forward to catching these other legendaries once available. Since I caught those first 2, I've been extremely unlucky catching anymore though I still do these for the almost guaranteed TMs at these which I've now fixed all my pokemon that had CP above 3000 rendering them unuseful for gym placement yet still useful for these raid boss battles or simply to take over other gyms.

I'm definitely taking advantage of these bonus offers while they last and shall soon reach level 37 as stardust is still critical and having pokemon with the desired movesets to help take these bosses down is a must.

legendary raid battles I've been to these past few days easily had up to 20 at each and this is even during work hours.

It seemed to me that Articuno is somehow easier to catch. Lugia's awkward timing makes it much more difficult than a violent T'tar.

Of 8 Articuno raids, 6 catches.
Of 14 Lugia raids, 7 catches.

Bah, I hate these kinds of evasive move. Good graceful Arceus, Now I fear how difficult my favourite Lati_s would be considering their physical attack's animation on top of most likely floating upward to make ball throwing power calculation awkward.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Lugia and Articuno had the exact same catch rate (2%) until about 10 hours ago, so any raid you did before that was purely RNG in terms of "which one is harder???". The birds now have a 3% catch rate and thus Articuno is actually easier to catch than Lugia.

Used Jynx against Articuno earlier... actually not as squishy as it looks. Did both of them.. the catch rate is still junk, especially with the "gym ownership" bug.
doing a Lugia raid in an area only reachable on foot, by a canal, just outside the city centre.. and 40 people.. that was surprising.

the problem with raid bosses is they attack/jump a lot, flying ones float to the top of the screen as well, I give up aiming for Excellents and just try and hit the thing between animations.

If the catch rate is 2-3% how did you catch over 50%?
Proud of you.
With a curveball, Golden Razz, and Average great throw, I believe generically the catch rate for each thrown ball is 13% ish for lugia and 19% ish for articuno. If you throw several balls succesfully your overall odds to catch one in a single raid encounter will be higher. For example, the chance of catching an articuno with 7 balls is about 1 - .81^7 = 77% ish. With 10 balls that would be 1 - .81^10 = 88% ish. For lugia it would be about 62% and 75% for 7 and ten balls. This of course requires a lot of good throwing, and with a small sample size considering u likely won't be doing hundreds of raids there's bound to be some variation and luck involved. The goal with every raid is to maximize your chances of catching the legend and let the rng do the rest.

2.43m to go to 40, hard to believe I hit 37, which was not even half way, on June 8th. These past events have been crazy to say the least.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My best articuno is at cp 1663 with 12 in HP and flawless 15 in attack/defense but knows icy wind. A charged TM should fix that..

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-pokemon-go-legendaries-are-running-away/amp/
Looked up legendary catch rates.
Also, which bird are you more excited for Moltres, Zapdos or do you prefer the current 2? Moltres seems redundant with Ho-Oh, Zapdos seems necessary as Jolteon isn't bulky enough for electric coverage. Lugia and Articuno are the best of their respective types.
Moltres isn't redundant with Ho-oh; it far outclasses it as a Fire-type since Ho-oh has no Fire-type fast moves :( As a generalist, Ho-oh will be ok but will be outclassed by something like Mewtwo when that comes out; I believe there may be other generalists that outDPS Ho-oh but I'd have to look it up.

Zapdos is a better Jolteon until Raikou comes out.

I'm most excited for Moltres, of course, since it's the best Fire-type we can get until Entei comes out, which then will make them compete for a slot depending on resists.

If the catch rate is 2-3% how did you catch over 50%?
Proud of you.

7 Gold Gyms! Good job!

Don't worry. I'm sure you can, just focus on the curve ball and excellent throws. With a golden razz berry 3% becomes 7.5%, plus curve ball and excellent throws. For a throw guide try this link: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/yPPnO

I don't know about cloyster but Lapras is basically like a Snorlax, as if you consider a resistance is .714x damage, and a double resistance is .50979x damage, a bit more than an immunity which is .50x damage, Lapras basically can take twice as many hits. Unlike most water types it can double resist. But also consider Scizor as it resists and deals super effective damage.

Scizor also deals pretty useful STEEL damage, and will handle Mew, Mewtwo, and Celebi with BUG damage, I include the speed in the moves Fury Cutter and X-Scissor, as it builds up energy very quickly. When STAB and a double effectiveness are combined 1.4 x 1.4 x 1.2 = 2.352, it will become the ultimate Celebi killer.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/06/20/pokemon-go-type-effectiveness-change/#3
Patience, young Padawan.
... seriously though, I really preyed the best moment to throw and get curved great throws in every throw, and leave RNArceus to do his work as long as I don't screw any throws. Some chat mates even called me out for taking too long to catch it.
Ah well, I got an ice birb CP1642 ran away yesterday, but I botched my throw and I just used daily pass and got 3 TM at once anyway so I can hardly complain. I'm not interested in this bird anymore anyway.

And this is good, the whole event netted me like 70 candies for Scizor buddy. I just need to practice using him, and find best damage threshold on Mewtwo. That speed will really benefit from damage rounding breakpoint.

On another news, hunting evolve fodders raised myself like, 2M EXP in the event. I'm already half way to Lv38, the technical end game. I didn't realise I've walked so far.
Also, Pikachu fan club medal finished, ending in around 330. I can now rest well....

Last edited:
oh great.. remote feeding is causing griefing.. what happened to restricting golden razz? gym being spammed for 20+ golden razz in under an hour.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
nah Suicune is just outclassed by Vaporeon. You want to use it as a Water-type, and no Water quick move means it can't do that. The "extra" coverage just relegates it to an inferior role.

Everything else I covered / is good.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
So then what is Gyarados used for? (Beside gym species clause) No quick water move?
Especially when all it used to have was Bite as a Quick move before Dragon Tail?

Even with good Attack Hydro Pump is outclassed by the 2nd Outrage hit which is outclassed by It's use on Dragonite. Stab isn't the most important especially now when Super Effective coverage is 1.4 and STAB is 1.2. You can check the article I mentioned a couple of posts back, also didn't we just cover Lugia with Hydro Pump?

Gyarados isn't particularly good for anything; as a Water-type, Vape outclasses. As a generalist, Dragonite outclasses. I'm aware STAB isn't primordial, but tell me, what is Gyarados gonna do with super effective coverage? If it has Dragon moves, it is (presumably) meant to counter Dragon-types, and guess what, Fairy-types (double resist to Dragon and access to Dazzling Gleam) and Ice-types (fast AND charge moves for double damage) do that better than Gyarados. I guess Gyarados with dual Dragon beats Kingdra better than Dragonite beats Kingdra??? Dark-coverage Gyarados hits... Psychic and Dark types... this is done better by a Dark-type by Tyranitar who not only gets STAB but resists their main moves. I guess Gyarados resists Focus Blast? lol

Gyarados's previous claim to fame was its CP; now, it's just outclassed. It's perfectly usable, but there are better Pokemon out there.

Lugia's case is different, because we are talking about defensive Lugia with Hydro Pump. Offensive Lugia should never use Hydro Pump, lest it wants to be an outclassed generalist / tank.

(Lugia with Hydro Pump, Gengar/Alakazam with Focus Blast, etc. are additional examples of how good coverage helps them better handle their own checks like Tyranitar, and they can still handle their original targets with the other move that gains STAB).

You can do this but they end up being completely inferior to other counters (in the case of Gengar and Alakazam, they do NOT want to face Tyranitar or anything even WITH Focus Blast because they are glass cannons lol). Attackers are much better refurbished to handle specific things they beat, not tailored to beat everything and do that sub-optimally. For example, a Psycho Cut / Focus Blast Alakazam now fares worse against Poison types by default just to be able to hit Tyranitar (if it is not dead by Crunch lol) and Blissey a little harder (too glassy to do this).

Gyarados countering Dragonite with Dragon moves is another example.

See above. A Fairy-type or Ice-type does this better than Gyarados can. Dual Dragon Gyarados I guess beats Dual Water Kingdra better than anything else?
Responses in bold.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
On the basis of "availability", I agree with your argument regarding Gyarados. In the grand scope of things, I disagree entirely, but ultimately people have different opinions on what works and what doesn't. I'm all about efficiency, so I'm not wasting dust on Gyarados, Focus Blast Alakazam, Suicune and other suboptimal things when looking at the entire game and what I can power up.

Cloyster though.... although it currently just seems like, Golem for everything.
I feel like Cloyster in general is really freaking underrated, and I don't even use it myself.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Like I said in my first post, Gyarados's use in the old system = CP tank. 30 Gyarados for gym slots, they served me very well during my gym reign. They're now sitting in my inventory enjoying the retired life; useless now, sadly.

If you have the stardust, by all means power up shit like Alakazam and Houndoom and what have you. But welcome to efficiency: stardust is the most horrible resource to acquire in this game and powering up the all around best things to deal with everything (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Machamp, Golem) over the niche stuff is always going to be my (and many other's) top choice.

only "retired" pokemon in my bag is my poor 3011 cp snorlax :(, people doing articuno raids with all sorts.. someone was using a Lanturn.

As my Tttar needs a full moveset overhaul, I can't use that.. and as a result there are 3 slots open after golems.. Lugia gets to fight dragonites and Gyarados

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Yeah Snorlax is still a grade-A defender. I would argue that a 3K CP one is a good choice in scenarios: Thanks to its massive CP motivation decay, you can throw one in a gym by morning, and have it back by nightfall thanks to how weak it is. A <3K Blissey is moreso for detering attackers and building a gold badge imo.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
I have never seen a Gengar used against any of the threats you've described (and I've done 100 raids, 50 legendary raids, and 12,000 gym battles overall) and I have never seen or been convinced of a reason to power up a Gengar ever. Sorry.

EDIT: Actually, that's wrong. Dodge mechanics go back to 100% damage reduction like early release, and Gengar is a fucking monster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)