Pokémon GO

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
So, I just nabbed a perfect Ho-oh off a raid. What's a good use for this thing overall given its weird movepool?

I also feel like having gotten this, I should be eyeing other raids like T-tar or Machamp more closely now.
Refer to the discussion on page 118 on what uses Ho-Oh has.

Also this is on the Apple Watch store:

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Would you guys bother powering up a 100% Blastoise with WG/HP from level 20? Not sure what to do with it.
It has no competitive use over your vaps and future waters, but if it has sentimental value to you by virtue of being a 100% or something else, do what you want with your stardust. Personally I powered up my 100% C/CC Ursaring to level 30 even though it's supoptimal in comparison to my machamps just because I love him, and beating up blisseys is more fun that way.

ho-oh has a niche with extrasensory/brave bird for machamp raids, resisting all of machamps possible moves and dealing monstruous damage and having excellent survivability. alternatively, a steel wing/solarbeam one is a pretty good gym cleaner, since solarbeam has excellent neutral dps and by virtue of its tankiness can generally clean entire gyms by itself. SW/SB also hits stuff like vaporeon (obv only SB), lapras, tyranitar and rhydon super effectively, which are just things that people often drop in gyms. i also found ho-oh to be an excellent blissey duelist, as the common dazzling gleam ones people drop in gym just do nothing to ho-oh, and ho-oh's just far tankier than machamp.

basically with ho-oh it's hard to find a defined niche, as PoGo tends to give more value to things that can quickly take out opponents through super effective coverage. ho-oh however is a marathon runner, not a sprinter, and can last ages while still dealing some damn respectable damage, just often not STAB/super effective boosted. good for people without a lot of revives/hyper potions that don't mind it taking a little longer

in my opinion and experience at least. i would however wait until gen 3 drops before powering one up, since it's not unreasonable to think they could give it something like gust or sacred fire

Hoenn Pokemon and weather conditions coming

Introducing Weather and 50 Pokémon from the Hoenn Region in Pokémon GO!

Trainers,

Starting later this week, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, and several more Pokémon originally discovered in the Hoenn region in the Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire video games will start appearing in Pokémon GO for the first time ever—with even more to be discovered over the next several weeks! We’ll also be introducing a new dynamic weather system in Pokémon GO that will change the way you and the millions of Trainers around the world discover, catch, and interact with Pokémon.

You’ll want to start paying even closer attention to your local weather patterns, Trainers. In addition to the in-game map being updated with cool new weather visuals, weather near you will impact Pokémon in a variety of ways. For example, you’ll find your odds of discovering Mudkip splashing around will greatly improve on rainy days, as certain Pokémon types will be more commonly found during various weather conditions. Additionally, attacks of certain types will be more effective during some weather conditions, so a Charizard’s Fire Spin will perform better on sunny days, for example. Rain or shine, winter or spring, your gameplay experience will remain fresh, making your time outdoors even more exciting.

There’s never been a better time to grab your umbrella or snow boots and safely venture outside with family and friends this season. As you explore your local neighborhoods, remember to share a photo of your encounters on social media with the hashtag #PokemonGO. We'd love to see all of your new adventures as they unfold.

—The Pokémon GO team

Honestly, I see weather, and more than the expected gimmick of more frequent types, I'm interested in the bonus stardust it entails alongside it. With a surplus of Pokeballs, I catch fodder just to keep space free for Stop EXP and stardust, which this only facilitates further.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Weather is a much needed change in this game, and explains why the Castform forms were put in so early ahead of release. This will change the raid meta massively - gym meta largely unaffected outside of areas with high turnover.

Hate the fact that it's only 50 species but it could be worse. Going by logic and the video:

- Sceptile line
- Blaziken line
- Swampert line
- Linoone line
- Mightyena line
- Dustox/Beautifly line
- Shiftry line
- Aggron line
- Ludicolo line
- Salamence line
- Groudon
- Castform

~32 species can be probably deduced. Maybe add some random legendaries (Lati or Golems) and stuff like Exploud and the initial selection isn't too shabby.

Uk player, time to fill gyms with vaporeons. :D, if they do add weather, where I am going to be is an ice biome, and it supposed to snow there, so even more swinub, Jynx, magnamite then usual :(

I'm so happy! I've been without doing raids for almost a month, since I left my local WhatsApp Go group. A Ho-oh spawned near my house earlier today, but when I got there, there was only 2 minutes left, and no-one around. Another one spawned, and I sat there, waiting to see if anyone would arrive. People arrived, we did it, despite the game bugging out on my end. In the end, I was able to catch my first Ho-oh. To top it all, it has awesome IVs and the best moveset.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Alright time for an APK breakdown!

Recap:

1) Star Piece is now a new item. They appear to be related to dust and are probably similar to Lucky Eggs for EXP. They can be purchased in the store in bundles (not yet, obviously).
2) Battle Parties can now be used to store parties for use in raids or gym battles. No more annoying mass clicking or reselecting your lineup? Speaking of raids, there is a Battle UI overhaul and it looks much cleaner now!
3) Weather! As seen in the blog post, weather will be an important gameplay mechanic. While sources say the update for weather will drop later in December, it might not necessarily be the case. The following weathers are present for the overworld and gym battles:
  • CLEAR
  • RAINY
  • PARTLY_CLOUDY
  • OVERCAST
  • WINDY
  • SNOW
  • FOG
Additionally, there are 4 levels for clouds, rain, wind, snow and fog. It might have battle applications or just overworld aesthetics, who knows.

4) 10 new moves. 9 of these moves were showcased in an earlier APK before Niantic rolled the update back, and they have not changed. They are as follows:
  • TAKE_DOWN (FAST)
  • WATERFALL (FAST)
  • YAWN (FAST)
  • PRESENT (FAST) (NEW!)
  • DRACO_METEOR
  • DOOM_DESIRE
  • SURF
  • PSYCHO_BOOST
  • ORIGIN_PULSE
  • PRECIPICE_BLADES
The inclusion of Present in this APK means Delibird is now nearing release, presumably for this upcoming Christmas (with an event). Most of the other moves are signature moves but the competitive applications of stuff like Waterfall (Gyarados being DPS king over Vaporeon), Yawn (Slaking), Take Down (Normal-types without Scratch), and Draco Meteor (Dragonite and Salamence) is also worthy to note.

I'm so happy! I've been without doing raids for almost a month, since I left my local WhatsApp Go group. A Ho-oh spawned near my house earlier today, but when I got there, there was only 2 minutes left, and no-one around. Another one spawned, and I sat there, waiting to see if anyone would arrive. People arrived, we did it, despite the game bugging out on my end. In the end, I was able to catch my first Ho-oh. To top it all, it has awesome IVs and the best moveset.

Slightly OT, but what app is that to tell you the IVs and stuff?

Living in more southern part than the mainland, I'd probably get more rains now. Lately I haven't raided much, I haven't even unlocked Hou-ou. The first one ran away....

The good thing is that Vaporeon get boosted and I can use more Marills to collect as future evolve fodders. But I had fallen ill many times due to rains already....

I noticed people now also debate the types related to the weathers, but feels like on certain technical perspective it works.
Bug is improved in rains. This actually makes sense in competitive games where Rain removes their Fire weakness.
Psychic isn't in the Fog. Then again, had it been there, it'll remain useless because Ghost and Dark wreck them in the same day.

The only one regretful is Fairy not in fog. I mean, Misty Terrain....
Or Rock in sandstorm, especially that it does get bonus SpDef in sandstorm in main series.

Last edited:
not really anything I like, few more things on loading screen.. wingull, plusle and and minun, walrein is coming though :D, oh and skitty (no sign of wailord though), also SLAKOTH \o/ gotta find me one of those

The problem I have had with Poke Genie is that it often does not make it easier to add more photos because the picture option is obscure to begin with (small top right icon).

I personally use AutoIVChecker 4.5 stars because it automatically loads the screenshot option upon opening, it has dexes for both Pokémon, and moves. It listed Gen 3, and it even updated only 1 week ago (for Ho-Oh stats) so it is up to date for sure, and it has a history of all of your data in a separate tab, so it is available without being in the way. It seems like a user friendly all in one.
It also has lists of suggested best buddy, Offense, egg, Defense, etc. so you can go over KM to walk a buddy before a candy, which species belong to each KM distance egg category, etc.

View attachment 92039 View attachment 92040 View attachment 92041 View attachment 92042

Link is here! Click for the Auto IV Checker for Pokémon GO by Toc

For your knowledge it directly opens the App Store in iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/auto-iv-checker-for-pokémon-go/id1143881509?mt=8
Wow, now I'm envious.

Ho-oh Update on my data from Auto IV Checker:
View attachment 92046View attachment 92047View attachment 92048View attachment 92049View attachment 92050View attachment 92051View attachment 92052

Post-Ho-Oh stat Nerf summary:
- Ho-Oh’s Brave Bird does less than 1 damage more than Dragonite’s Hurricane.
- Ho-Oh’s Fire Blast is less than Flareon and Moltres’, let alone Overheat.
- A Ho-Oh’s Fire Blast does less than 1 damage less than Moltres’ Heatwave.
- Ho-Oh’s Fire Blast is less than 1 Damage more than 1 of Flareon’s Flamethrower (it is a 2 Bar Move)
- Ho-Oh’s Solar Beam is less than Vileplume’s, Victreebel’s, and Exeggutor’s Solar Beam. It also does less than a Sunflora’s, Venusaur’s, and Vileplume’s Petal Blizzard. Keep in mind that an Exeggutor’s Solar Beam is weaker than a Vileplume’s Petal Blizzard.
-Ho-Oh’s Steel Wing deals 1.25 Damage less than Dragonite’s Steel Wing, which is deals 3.07 less than Dragonite’s Dragon Tail.

When it comes to flying moves Ho-Oh is boss.
When it comes to fire moves period, Ho-oh is decent...
When it comes to grass moves, Ho-oh is bad...

When it comes to Steel Wing, Dragonite’s Higher DPS per hit will more than make up for the less than 1 damage difference from its Hurricane vs Ho-Oh’s Brave Bird.
——
Raw stats-

Ho-Oh: 239, 274, 193
Dragonite: 263, 201, 182

Ho-Oh can take better hits, while Dragonite can deal better damage.

Ho-Oh has the following 3 weaknesses: Rock (x4), Water, Electric

Dragonite has the following 4 weaknesses: Ice (x4), Rock, Dragon, Fairy

Rock is common from Golem, Rhydon, Tyranitar. Water is common from Lugia, Gyarados, and Vaporeon. Electric is common from Raikou, and Zapdos.

Ice is uncommon (niche) from Lapras and Arcticuno. Rock is common from Golem, Rhydon, Tyranitar. Dragon is common from Dragonite (which means it checks itself). Fairy is basically unused.

In the end, Dragonite doesn’t have to worry about Ice (Regice) and Fairy (Gardevoir) moves until Gen 3 happens, while Ho-Oh has to worry about all of its weaknesses right now.

Ho-oh is basically the Jack-of-all-trades Offensively, and good Defensively.

I was incorrect earlier, sure it can last and deal good damage, sorta like a Dragonite with more endurance but less Attack. Brave Bird is what keeps it from being obsolete.
So why is Steel Wing/Solarbeam considered the best moveset?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)