Pokémon GO

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just saw that gamepress just updated the raid boss list so am relieved that the likes of machamp, alakazam and gengar are still available to raid and don't mind as much the loss of arcanine, jolteon & flareon, though vaporeon being one of the easiest to solo shall be missed though it happens to be among the few competitives I managed to get as a 100% IV already. Tyranitar staying is another relief too but am sure many of the new level 4 raid bosses will surely be avoidable.

I am rather curious about porygon being a level 3 with CP 11,419 while cloyster is level 2 but with a much higher CP with 15,678.

Is anyone having issues where the character doesn't move even when you do, so you can continue to get rewards from a Poke Stop, but the distance you've travelled still counts towards hatching eggs?

I'm on iPhone 8Plus iOS 11.1 if that's useful information.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
First off! New accomplishment! 476D9C91-4826-4336-90E7-87D7C0C6113E.jpeg

Now, I know the bug is supposed to fix the level up max from 39 to 39.5, but mine only get to level 39. As after leveling to 38 from (37, where you can boost 1.5 levels ahead of time to 38.5), I am only able to boost 1x with 12 candy to level 39, and not to 39.5 with 15 candy as seen by PokeYoutubers.

Perhaps they reduced the amount of a headstart for the level up.

Also why can’t I do the defender or legendary searches for the Pokémon??

So look what I got!98728E67-A545-4DDA-8EF8-153A19A54B01.png
Love it! Comes with a “Light Ball” apparently ;)

You guys, I think the list is shorter because they plan on adding Gen 3, they can’t beyond the Sableye (Etc. Ghosts), until the December and beyond Gen 3 rollout.

I’m disappointed that the only Gen 2 Pokémon is Tyranitar, would have been nice if they added Espeon, Donphan, Heracross (regional but still) or something useful. Metapod, really? Is that the new Magicarp? At least Gyarados is useful.

I guess Ivysaur is better than Bayleef, as Venusaur will be for those who do not realize that Exeggutor is better.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
PsychicAcademic Yea literally the same Defense stat. Perhaps Solar Beam helps with getting more energy on Vapes so you can fire off more Hydro Pumps... but honestly Ninetales is on the same level of Flareon in my eyes. Just don't touch the solo aspect of it if you don't have maxed out Pokemon.

OM! iOS doesn't have the update yet. Tutu doesn't have it either. You unfortunately need the update to be able to power up to 39.5 - Youtubers that have the APK are able to do so.

For myself, very happy to see Tyranitar still as a boss. It's going to be VERY hard to raid one, but at least it's something to shoot for.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
PsychicAcademic Yea literally the same Defense stat. Perhaps Solar Beam helps with getting more energy on Vapes so you can fire off more Hydro Pumps... but honestly Ninetales is on the same level of Flareon in my eyes. Just don't touch the solo aspect of it if you don't have maxed out Pokemon.

OM! iOS doesn't have the update yet. Tutu doesn't have it either. You unfortunately need the update to be able to power up to 39.5 - Youtubers that have the APK are able to do so.

For myself, very happy to see Tyranitar still as a boss. It's going to be VERY hard to raid one, but at least it's something to shoot for.
I know I posted a YouTube video of 2 people raiding a Tyranitar with 6 Machamps maxed out each. It worked with just enough time. You will need 2 people even if you have 6 100% Machamps with the perfect moveset.

TTar, Snorlax, Lapras, Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp and the beasts were kept tho
EDIT: Just found out you already said that, my chat loaded in a weird way

Well... to what I read, excluding Ninetails (Flareon 2.0 is pretty much unsoloable unless with best team and phone, and for much uselessness even to Arcanine), those raids are easy. I have always been successful with Vaporeon, so I am supposed to like Omastar raid. But I'm personally disgusted by their decision. None of them are really relevant nor interesting at all, maybe except for that magnet for Steel medal and Sableeye? for shiny which is ugly anyway. Omastar is easy and will cost me much less potions and revives, sure, but I've always loved Vaporeon and Eeveelutions has always been most popular thing with the fanbase, as does some cool outliers like Arcanine (OK, Ninetails is quite a dark horse on par with him too, but that's it) and Exegutor (OK, it's not the memetic Alolan, but....) and Omastar is irrelevant without the legacy Rock Throw anyway. I find Niantic's decision really backward here.

And why even putting Transel / Metapod? too?! At least the karps can be Gyarados, which is at least pretty useful.

The only justification I can see is that they have different Pokemon so this lets others to get the Pokedex entries for something elusive like Porigon, particularly rurals, I suppose. But that's it all. Even if more painful I'd rather solo Vaporeon than Omastar or Kabutops (if ever), and good Arceus, I don't need another Nidothings I'm sick of seeing Nidoran here and even other biome residents should at least see that dang thing once or from eggs! Golem is useful to many, but I already have 2 perfect ones and few more near perfects (which is why I was particularly good in doing birbs). I'd probably welcome Johto starter evos in T4 replacing the Kanto ones....

I suppose I'll be raiding only for the medal and occasional TM then. This is no longer fun.... For the consolation at least I can save the raid passes for upcoming legendaries like Lati_s and Regirock, but that's it. And I have feeling that either they don't play their own game or they willingly try to dumb down the metagame with those things.

Nabbit, I got so complainy now. I'm really disgusted at their decision, I'd be running into suspension from OI like a user here did before....

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Nabbit, I got so complainy now. I'm really disgusted at their decision, I'd be running into suspension from OI like a user here did before....
As long as you keep your grammar and capitalization to a somewhat decent standard, and don't pounce endlessly on other players (whether people in here or other players of the game in general), you should be fine. I think there is a limit to how salient one can be with regards to Niantic in this thread too, but I think we're still far from it.

It's almost like Niantic is just purposely ruining their own game at this point.

Fortunately they kept T-Tar as a boss.

Expert Evan

This looks promising as I was watching some new raid boss solos on youtube, check these out:

porygon, scyther & omastar are definitely doable, ninetales appears challenging so I wouldn't bother with that one.

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Really excited about scyther and pory raid bosses, as well as an easier way to build up some bulba and charmander candy. It sucks that it'll be more infrequent to encounter the more valuable previous bosses like ttar, machamp, lapras, and alakazam but at least niantic kept the most important ones around.

I did want to collect more magmar candy in prep for gen4, but I did build up my electabuzz candy nicely, and while keeping eggy would have been nice, I very honestly just don't like him because i always get shitty luck with movesets and I think he looks derpy. I prefer my Venu to him for gym purposes as he has sludge bomb and is very versatile, but I do also need to build a team of decent solarbeamers for raids sometime soon. Also wish they had kept karp > metapod, but w/e. Magneton as a raid boss is also super nice for not just the steel badge, but working towards magnezone (I currently have 220 candy saved but I haven't evolved into magneton yet since I expect the candy cost to go down for gen4 and magnemite is very rare for me), as you get a nice chance at a level 20 pre-evolved form with good chances for nice IVs, which makes up for magnemite not being in eggs. Basically, it's going to be lit :D

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I’m assuming this all means: last November the CP and DPS/Cooldown of moves all changed, with legacy moves being established (beyond the previously established Dragon Breathe Gyarados), they will Mark the one year anniversary of that and it will Reflect in the new raid bosses. I am hoping they include some changes around November 21st (Annie date), just before the supposed Ho-Oh thanksgiving event and Gen 3 in December.

Maybe they can make more Fairy, Steel, and Dark types viable (like Granbull, Scizor, and Houndoom).

Edit: Omg! My instincts were right again! I saw the Pikachu icon in the nearby list and thought it looked a little dark, slightly orange. I just knew the next catch would be special! And it was!E288D2B5-2DFD-4678-8A66-A5EF7F5BA1EA.png 2nd Shiny Pikachu, 2 Light Balls! Wow!

Second I just came across my first Dual Gym: CE30F9F0-808B-4BA7-8964-EAD473C55CF3.jpeg 9EF3DF71-4ABA-4C46-B055-6A7705177D18.jpeg
Team Magma and Aqua theme colors.
Notice how inside the Gyarados is red, while outside the tail is blue.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

I can now say I've successfully solo'd a porygon and a scyther, haven't come across an omastar yet and still awaiting for a gengar desireably with a moveset of sucker punch & focus blast so I could use my gengars, alakazam & dragonites when facing it.

porygon is so easy that even a party of 6 level 20 machamps with all fighting moves should be able to take it down.

Edit: gengar solo with sucker punch and focus blast done, and was amazingly easy with 52 seconds left on the clock as I was able to take it down with 2 gengars, alakazam and a dragonite, now to find an omastar to solo wherever convenient.

Edit: omastar solo barely accomplished. It took me 4 attempts but managed to finally defeat one with 5 seconds left on the clock as this one knew water gun & ancient power. My successful team was 2 machamps, 2 exeggutors and a victreebel. The trick is to dodge omastar's charge moves especially with your grass pokemon so they can get several solar beams in at least.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

I recall my first shiny magikarp did not hesitate to give it a golden razz berry along with an ultra ball for the capture as it was CP 152 and now a CP 2442 gyarados which I now oftentimes put in gyms. Since then I've caught 4 more shiny magikarps and no others, 3 of which I got through Pokemon Go+ so it was pleasantly nice to see them there. I would evolve 2 of my other shiny magikarps mainly for the purpose of putting them in gyms when the opportunity arises. I haven't come across any other shinies yet which would be nice but not going out of my ordinary way for them, just let them come to me.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I've probably had a few run away from the Gotcha but I usually Ultra + Golden Razz shinies the moment I see them. I'm at like 8 shiny Magikarp, 2 shiny Pikachu (one is a Raichu), and 1 Sableye only.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I caught another Shiny Pikachu when I was having a bad day, totally made me smile. Anyways, let’s hope they make the mechanics better. Still can’t Pokemon get to level 39.5 (only 39), I thought the update would have changed that as evidenced by the lack of power up buttons A2CDA742-ACC4-49F4-8920-C6F7E445AEFF.jpegand only one option for Snorlax’s IV distribution stating it must be Level 39 in the yellow highlighted bar:2663FA44-4B8F-4683-9657-DBC451BF67F5.png

Anyways, I found a way to make your team level 40, until Niantic fixes the problem itself completely: please be advised the Pokémon you wish to boost must be exactly level 38.5
It is not using a 3rd party anything, just the original application on your smart device. Skip to the 2:20 mark.

Edit: New Wave if Ex Raid passes for GameStop https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.slashgear.com/pokemon-go-raid-event-begins-now-10507614/amp/

Last edited:
So I've been very off Pokemon Go for a while and recently had my interest reignited. Is there any place I can find something like an organized guide to catch up or familiarize myself with stuff like raids or leveling? Or preferred battlers and such?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
PokeBattler specifically deals with raids. GoHub and GamePress have broken down formulas and general mechanics. TheSilphRoad is the catch-all research oriented forum for a lot of Go stuff (including raids) too.

New clothing in the game based off the Alola region is now live. This is most definitely to coincide with the release of Pokemon Ultra Sun / Moon on Friday.

EDIT: Blog post from Niantic to confirm the above.

I just woke up for an announcement.

New outfits to celebrate the upcoming Pokémon Ultra Sun - Moon! They're based on the default outfits of the player characters. Now if only they change the day music to Hauoli's happy tunes, I would drop all my outfit to wear that and greet everyone with "Alola!"

Edit: eh, ninjaed by weird forum post loading.

They do look somewhat weird though, since USM characters seem to barely be in their early teens, while GO character is pretty mature, so... kinda like too old to wear these....
Still nice though. Remember that we will have Third Generation released in GO. This outfit just fits since both Houen and Alola are warm island-based regions (well, maybe Alola even more so, based on stereotypically tropical Hawaii).

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
So I've been very off Pokemon Go for a while and recently had my interest reignited. Is there any place I can find something like an organized guide to catch up or familiarize myself with stuff like raids or leveling? Or preferred battlers and such?
raids aren't that complex, basically use the strongest mons you have that have type effectiveness or use dnite if dnite isn't weak to its moves / hits NVE into the raid boss; compared to some pokemon with shittier dps, it still outdamages some of them... golem is about as good as dnite vs. fire types lol. some movesets are better than others (ex. even though raikou and zapdos have similar attacking stats, raikou is like 10% faster into a water type like suicune just because wild charge is that good) but ultimately if you have STAB SE or dnite (ttar is not bad as well) you're fine.

having, say, one pokemon at level 30 and 5 at 20 is worse than 6 at level 25 or whatever.

there's no need to be too picky about IVs with pokemon, movesets are more important. you can try to reach jump points for quick moves and it's best to have max atk to make those easier to get, but if you have, say, a level 30 exeggcute with abysmal IVs, it's still better to evolve it than toss it because it requires no dust to get to that level.

in general you can probably get by with just having some ttars / dnites (I have 5 level 30 ttar accumulated from raids), a lot of raikou if you haven't missed those as a raid boss (else just one jolteon is fine), some exeggutor (which is going to pretty much stay a very solid grass type throughout the generations), some good fire types (entei or moltres if you haven't missed them, else flareon), some good water types (vaporeon), and some Machamp. if you find level 30 eevee just take a risk on evolving them since you'll always get something that's at least mildly useful, as all eeveelutions have forced STAB on all of their moves and good stats.

golem is niche but will be more or less functionally useless after we inevitably get ho-oh raids and those end, some bug types (esp. pinsir), double dark tyranitar, and double dark houndoom will be helpful if you are selected for a mewtwo raid (in essence, a total crapshoot that may occur if you raid at a sponsored location like a sprint or starbucks gym), but are otherwise not that relevant for now.

you can arrange raids easiest by using discord; if you live in a decently populated area just google [your area] pogo discord and you can probably find one.

leveling hasn't really changed since the game came out (i.e. the best way to powerlevel is just to use a lucky egg and evolve a lot of pidgey, preferably with a good phone), but you can improve on it with legendary raids - in essence, as many pokemon as you want to evolve during the egg, go to a raid, almost finish fighting said raid, force quit, then, when you re-enter the game, start the lucky egg, tap the gym where you did the raid, and you will get doubled experience for that raid (10k free exp!). catch the raid boss (or, if it's suicune, you can legit just run since they're not very good anyway...) and then start mass evolving stuff like normal til the egg runs out. preferably, couple this with a double experience event (like thanksgiving probably will be) for increased efficiency.

in practice, unless you're really trying to grind up to 40 there's no reason to powerlevel too hard after you've cleared level 30. there really is not that much value in powering up pokemon beyond level 30 and their performance generally does not improve by that much.

throw mechanics haven't changed, but the average player's understanding of them has improved - in essence, always curve your ball (it is a functionally free bonus to catch rate). you can "set" the circle size by holding (but not throwing) the ball until the ring is at a size you like, waiting until the pokemon attacks, and then throwing when it's near the end of its attack animation. the circle size does not change while the pokemon is in its attack animation or while the ball is in the air. you can get really consistent at throwing excellents into the legendaries if you get good at it.

tl;dr: get dnite / ttar, level with pidgeys, and throw gud

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)