Metagame Pokébilities

Shadow tag doesnt work on gothitelle, if you click it as main ability in teambuilder it says its banned in ou and if you dont pokemon can still switch.

"Stall is good in pokebilities because people doesn't want to use regular OU mons that doesn't benefit from meta's gimmicks"

-@Why Nerdy , in response to Jrsmash9 in 6th January 2017

And this replay proves it right: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokbilities-512245317
Well yeah, that's kind of the point of the meta. It's like how people keep running Ubers teams with no mega stones in Mix & Mega. Makes no sense to bother playing an OM if you're going to ignore what makes it "Other"

Some sets to consider. Not sure if they're as good as they seem on paper.

Kommo-o @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Bulletproof, Soundproof, Overcoat
Maximum SpA/Spe, Modest Nature (yes, this is a special set)
Autotomize
Clanging Scales
Focus Blast
Flamethrower

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Effect Spore, Technician, Poison Heal (haven't heard anyone talk about this yet.)
Maximum HP/Atk, Adamant
Spore
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Power-Up Punch/Drain Punch/Rock Tomb

The Gumshoos set that was here was already posted. Page 6 if you'd like to see it. Some alternative options are Adamant nature with a Choice Band, Life Orb, or Assault Vest. Preferably in Trick Room.

Also, Conkeldurr has access to Bolt-Beam Punches, which will get all three abilities boosting them for a whopping x2.33. Also works well in Trick Room.

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Well yeah, that's kind of the point of the meta. It's like how people keep running Ubers teams with no mega stones in Mix & Mega. Makes no sense to bother playing an OM if you're going to ignore what makes it "Other"
There's a difference between ignoring the " Other" parts of the OM and utilising good mons that don't change. You wouldn't tell someone not to use Pdon in MnM, would you?

There's a difference between M&M and Pokébilities: M&M is completly different from Ubers metagame, which heavily relies on mega stones to be effective, whereas Pokébilities is OU but more compacted roles.
If you don't know the M&M metagame, you'll be lost so easily because of the mega stones and the pokemons whose benefit them the most, like Regigigas and Golisopod.
In Pokébilities, we have Sand teams, Conkeldurr, Clefable, and Azumarill, but we do know their pros and cons because they are similar to the OU metagame.
Stall in this metagame is good only if the opponent abuses the metagame's concept.

Weather teams where every other pokemon has Sand Veil / Snow Cloak are annoying to face. Especially since they go along with other weather-boosting abilities.

I agree. Usually Sand Veil and Snow Cloak type abilities aren't used because other abilities outclass them (Slush Rush, Sand Rush, Sand Force). But in this metagame, a weather Pokemon can use evasion weather abilities along with their more viable abilities. I honestly think evasion weather abilities should be banned. There's no skill in using or countering them, and they're completely uncompetitive.

i think so as well you can keep snow warning and sand stream but at least remove sand veil and snow cloak because they are annoying on things like chomp ninetales and gliscor

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
There's a difference between M&M and Pokébilities: M&M is completly different from Ubers metagame, which heavily relies on mega stones to be effective, whereas Pokébilities is OU but more compacted roles.
If you don't know the M&M metagame, you'll be lost so easily because of the mega stones and the pokemons whose benefit them the most, like Regigigas and Golisopod.
In Pokébilities, we have Sand teams, Conkeldurr, Clefable, and Azumarill, but we do know their pros and cons because they are similar to the OU metagame.
Stall in this metagame is good only if the opponent abuses the metagame's concept.
I thought M&Ms were a type of candy

E: mods delete this if u want I'm making a real post later

There's a difference between ignoring the " Other" parts of the OM and utilising good mons that don't change. You wouldn't tell someone not to use Pdon in MnM, would you?
I absolutely would, though obviously no one would listen. Why would you run Pdon in MnM when literally anything else can hold Red Orb and be more interesting than the same thing that was on every other team in VGC and Ubers for so long?

I absolutely would, though obviously no one would listen. Why would you run Pdon in MnM when literally anything else can hold Red Orb and be more interesting than the same thing that was on every other team in VGC and Ubers for so long?
Because it's the best pokemon to use it, along with its stats and movepool.

Announcing: Excadrill Suspect and Evasion Abilities Quickban
First of all, Pokebilities will start suspecting Excadrill until the 21st. Excadrill is incredibly fast and powerful under sand, which is the easiest weather to run due to the existence of four very powerful setters, where every other weather has 1 good one at best. Additionally, Excadrill has absolutely perfect neutral coverage with its three Sand Force boosted moves, Earthquake, Iron Head, and Rock Slide, and can hax past the few Pokemon that wall it with two semi-reliable flinching moves. That said, there are a few Pokemon that can switch in, and several more that can either outspeed or outprioritize and KO, though those really can't switch in. To qualify for the suspect, you need 79% GXE on a fresh alt containing "EXC". To vote, just post in this thread with a screenshot of your reqs, your vote, and your reasoning.

Also, starting now, Evasion Abilities will be banned in Pokebilities under the Evasion Clause. They add nothing constructive to the meta, and only serve to be highly uncompetitive. While they may have been removed from the Evasion Clause near the end of Gen 6, as weather isn't as good in standard play and most Pokemon have better abilities anyway, in Pokebilities there's no opportunity cost to have them because Pokemon get all their abilities anyway, and as a result of this weather is made more powerful. We understand that only Ninetales-Alola had a weather setting ability and the corresponding Evasion ability at the same time, but it's the abilities that are uncompetitive as a whole, not Ninetales-A.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
The habilities will just not activate, right? I mean, for clarification, I don't wanna not be able to use some mons because of Veil habilities

Also, Excadrill will be banned on the suspect ladder, and reqs will be valid only if obtained after the suspect ladder implementation. I'll edit this post when the suspect ladder is implemented.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm about to say the dumbest idea for a team ever created, and I would suggest you look away if you don't like bad teams. member 1: pelipper, physically defensive, used to wall and set up rain for the other members, member 2: politoed specially defensive to set up rain also, member 3: kingdra with focus energy to use swift swim and sniper to sweep with 3 attack moves, member 4: banded relicanth with head smash no recoil and swift swim, member 5: ferrothorn to handle all the grass and electric types and take use of rain to dull weakness, and member 6: heliolisk with specs bust out those stab thunders, and there is the worst team of all time thank you folks i'll be here all week tell me if you need a worse one.

Ok, I'm about to say the dumbest idea for a team ever created, and I would suggest you look away if you don't like bad teams. member 1: pelipper, physically defensive, used to wall and set up rain for the other members, member 2: politoed specially defensive to set up rain also, member 3: kingdra with focus energy to use swift swim and sniper to sweep with 3 attack moves, member 4: banded relicanth with head smash no recoil and swift swim, member 5: ferrothorn to handle all the grass and electric types and take use of rain to dull weakness, and member 6: heliolisk with specs bust out those stab thunders, and there is the worst team of all time thank you folks i'll be here all week tell me if you need a worse one.
well, your team is better than your post.....kek I'm here all week also :p

So um sorry if this post makes me seem like im two-faced, but trust me it doesnt.

So i first complained that sand cores make this OM mundane since it was very easy to win and almost unstoppable with a perfect set-up. But heyIm not really wrong and not taking that back, but the metagame has amazingly adapted to it, providing it many various checks. So what am I pointing out? I dont want excadrill banned, sand force on it is the thing that needs to get attention. Excadrill is very volatile under sand, sporting a good speed tier to outspeed everything in sand, and sand force just makes it even harder to stop. But like I said, this is not very problematic thing since we're anyway just started this meta, and we have developed numerous checks and counterplays to beat this beast down.

Dedicated physical walls

There are very limited switchins to slowbro under sand. Slowbro-Mega, Gliscor, to name a few, are very viable mons in the meta atm. Their gigantic physical defense can chew a hit even at +2, and has their own decent offense stats ko back with their STAB moves, making them a reliable and not a passive answer to it. Stuff like mandibuzz,regular slowbro,hippowdon and pelipper must deserve a mention for being a soft check by taking a hit and koing back. I feek like im still missing a lot of checks, but these are the common walls that stop it from a rampage.

Priority users

Priority is one of the nicest stops to excadrill, and Conk and Azu are the most notable users of this. Priority slips past to excadrill's humongous speed, and these two's powerful atk stat can pick off a weakened excadrill easily with stab priority, and even from full, providing that Conk has gotten the guts boost from flame orb, or a banded Azumarill.

Weather Summoners

Pelipper is the most notable one in this, as it can switch in into anything excadrill has provided rocks arent up, and reverses the weather to rain which makes it more tankier as it gets a benificial recovery from rain dish, aside from the reliable roost and a possible leftovers. Other things that switches the weather to anything not sand would immediately stop, since excadrill isnt really that fast outside of sand, and is koed by anything faster that hits hard enough thanks to its abysmal defenses (though high HP). This meta has been a weathers war, so if someone uses weather to win, why not use weather to stop them?

TR

Probs the most niche from its checks. Just a simple desc for this one, Trick Room nullifies the sand boost by basically making slower mons move first, which makes fast mons in general and not only Excadrill be checked and koed by powerful slow breakers.

This is only to name a few checks, and Excadrill will get more of this if sand force itself will be removed from it. Besides, Excadrill isnt really threatening outside of sand anyways, and depends on it most of the time to get most of its KOs. Regular Excadrill with no Sand Rush+Force in OU isnt really troublesome and is checked by a plethora of mons.

So yeah here we go
TL;DR: Excadrill itself even with sand force has a numerous viable mons as checks and few counters to name with and doesnt really deserve a ban, and sand force is the lone reason to make it unappealing in the meta, and seems like a better option since we can ban abilities themselves.

Banning sand force would be better itself, as excadrill would still be usable as a sand sweeper (without the 1.3 boost this time) but way more manageable this time, and can stop certain meta threats like Magnezone with the SpD set which can take special hits nicely like Magnezone's coverage moves like HP fire even with the Specs and Analytic boost, thanks to its huge HP stat and decent SpD. Plus, mold breaker lets break through Levitate, Sturdy, and even Magic Bounce in a defensive stand point to set up rocks vs those mons. Excadrill is a fun mon, Sand Rush+Force is really just to bleh tbh.

P.S.

Posting calc if you need them to prove that sand force is the only problem(and when I have time).

Last edited:
We're not banning Sand Force just to nerf one Pokémon. Evasion abilities are purely uncompetitive as they only serve to add a luck based element to the game, and I suggested banning Speed Boost to fix the current Baton Pass problem since it's the only way to bypass the Clause, but Sand Force is a flat boost to power, and a reasonable one at that; we might as well be banning Life Orb. Furthermore, there are plenty of viable Pokémon other than Excadrill with Sand Force, such as Hippowdon, Gigalith, and Garchomp-Mega. Banning Sand Force would singlehandedly make running sand almost totally unviable with Sand Veil already gone, even with Excadrill. That's too high a price to pay to keep one single Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)