Player Of The Week! Week #21: Eien

Approved By scpinion
Based off other Potws

Banner By Dece1t
Hey Everyone and welcome to the revamped version of player of the week and Staff interviews. This week we Have a very special guest Monotype Council and Room Mod: Eien. This Will be a weekly interview project where @Balor and I will interview staff or well known players. If you want someone interviewed Pm Me on Smogon or PS!, Without Further ado let's get to the interview.

Eien
Tell us about yourself IRL? Are you still in school? Do you have a job? Location? Any other generic information you're willing to share?

I'm just another stereotypical nerdy Asian kid studying Computer Science lol. I'm a 4th year at UCLA and hopefully will have a job this time next year although job applications are annoying. When I'm not on Showdown, I love playing the piano and creative writing. I love reading too, so if you guys are writers, show me some of your work!

Why did you start playing the piano? What got you Into creative writing?

My dad made me learn when I was 4 because my grandma played too. I hated it for the first 12 years and kept begging my parents to quit. Then, after I finished doing some decade of recitals, I started playing songs that I enjoyed. That's when I turned around and came to start playing piano on my own. As a kid all I really did was read books, so I guess it was only natural that I'd start doing some writing of my own as I grew older. It's really just cathartic writing and (to my eternal shame) fanfiction, so I'm far too embarrassed to ever show people any of it haha.

What got you into Monotype?

I actually came from Town of Salem. For a year I'd been playing with some friends, one of whom was a guy called Kaze, who literally just randomly mentioned playing Pokemon one day. I used to actually play competitive back in DPP, although I was never part of the community, so I got interested,He brought me to the Hitmon league on EOS and told me to just build some random team with mons all the same type. I thought that was hella stupid but look where I am now!

Whats your favorite Type and Playstyle to use?

I know people think I'm joking nowadays but I honestly am a HO Fighting main at heart. But, I have to say Flying is my favorite type to play and stall is my favorite playstyle to build and use.

Favorite pokemon and Teir? why?

My favorite Pokemon is a toss up between Mew and Heracross. Mew is so cute and I still remember thinking it was super cool back when I watched the Mewtwo Strikes Back Movie. Heracross is a badass though and it was my hero when I played gen 2. My favorite official tier is Ubers because that's what I played back in DPP, but I suppose I am at least mildly obligated to say that I prefer Monotype to that nowadays.

Who are some players who you're really good friends with or look up to?

Sabella is someone I still look up to a lot. He's just an amazing player and teambuilder who always has another wacky idea actually works. I learned a lot from battling him when I first started and I'm always impressed whenever I see him play. The other guy I look up to is Arifeen. Great contributor across the site and inspired me to work hard to give back to the community. I remember when he helped me out before MPL and generally just believed I had potential when I was just some random. Really nice guy and I hope he'll be back for MPL. Also Lax, although he's not here anymore, really pushed me to improve back in the day and was really one of the first to give me the time of day. Too bad he's too busy playing Smite or whatever he's doing now.

Any words of wisdom you'd like to give to new monotype players?

Use all the resources we have available for you. Check out our analyses, our VR, our samples, and whatever else. There's no shame in using generic. Then, just practice. No one has a secret strategy that makes you a god in a year, you've got to put in the time to get where you want to be. If you want to be a part of the community and / or contribute, please do! But make sure you've got a good feel for Monotype first. Nothing is more impressive than a new player that knows his shit helping out, but it's also annoying if you're saying things that aren't true.

What got you Into Pokemon? PS? why the monotype room?

As a kid, my older cousins were playing this cool game on the GameBoy and I wanted to be like them so I begged my parents to buy it too, s/o Pokemon Blue. Later, I found Shoddy Battle in middle school and messed around there for a while. Pokemon Online was super cool because its GUI was amazing compared to theshoddy graphics of Shoddy Battle, so I moved to that when it came out before I moved to Showdown even later. As for Monotype, I played Monotype on a side server and well, I started contributing on the forums. I really didn't talk in the room at all to be honest, but I lurked like it was my job.

How Did you Get your usernames?

I used to go by EienSeiryuu, which is really just two Japanese words Eien and Seiryuu lol. Eien is sort of like eternity or forever, and Seiryuu is the Azure Dragon of the East. I dropped the Seiryuu recently because it's just too long and no one can say it anyway. By the way, Eien is pronounced like saying the letters A and then N. It's not E-n or Eye-n! (Edgy teenage Eien thought that name was awesome af, not sure I still do but I've grown into it).

What are some of your favorite foods?

My favorite food has got to be salmon. I'll eat it any way you prepare it. Smoked, grilled, seared, sashimi, sushi, whatever. Really just give me salmon and some rice and I'm a happy man.

Favorite Pokemon to use in Monotype?

Has to be Mew. It's just so versatile and splashable. I know people are moving towards using Jirachi instead on the balanced Psychic teams, but I'm still stubbornly using it. It can run stallbreaker, utility, BP, dark lure, like what can't Mew do?

What do you feel you're most known for?

I think I'm probably most known for being on the council and a part of the room staff. I'd definitely put my stupidly long posts as a close second, though. Those Sablenite posts were... yeah I hope I never have to do that again.

Favorite Song At The Moment?

My favorite song is still Senbonzakura by Kurousa-P. It's a Vocaloid song so your mileage may vary. I'd suggest the cover sung by Hanatan (you can find it on Youtube). I've loved this song since it came out back in my senior year of High School and nothing's toppled it from first place since!

Anything you'd like to say to close off the interview?

Thanks to everyone in the Monotype community for being awesome and welcoming. I only wish I had started earlier, but I've enjoyed playing ORAS Monotype with all of you. Let's all have a great Generation 7!

That Concludes This interview feel free to ask questions below that you might have wanted him to answer.

1. Who's your favorite author? Favorite genre?
2. Do you have a favorite OM?
3. If monotype didn't exist, would you still be playing ubers, or even pokemon at all?
4. What's your favorite type? not to play, but visually?
5. What's the worst type?
6. Best side server of the past?
7. Favorite anime?
8. Thoughts on #CALEXIT?
9. Can examining blue oil break a doorknob?
10. can you translate this for me?
千秋は最悪の女の子です

eien why dont you revive phoenix?
I'm not very into league culture anymore. I especially don't like side servers. The staff is corrupt on every server. One server even stole money, how is that okay? I also think leagues encourage people to only learn one type and feel that their identity is that type. That's not a good mindset in my opinion and leaves you open to be cteamed very easily. Of course, one trick ponies also tend to complain the most about being cteamed. I'm also not in the business of free childcare

1. Who's your favorite author? Favorite genre?
2. Do you have a favorite OM?
3. If monotype didn't exist, would you still be playing ubers, or even pokemon at all?
4. What's your favorite type? not to play, but visually?
5. What's the worst type?
6. Best side server of the past?
7. Favorite anime?
8. Thoughts on #CALEXIT?
9. Can examining blue oil break a doorknob?
10. can you translate this for me?
千秋は最悪の女の子です
1. Favorite author is George Orwell. 1984 and Animal Farm leave me speechless. Anyone who hasn't read Orwell's works need to do so ASAP. My favorite genre is fantasy. I'm a sucker for magic and dragons, elves and dwarves, stuff like that. (e: I think it says a lot about Orwell that both of my favorite works are not actually in my favorite genre. Read his work!)

2. Monotype is my favorite OM. I am not under duress. Jokes aside, I enjoy AAA a lot. Mono AAA is unsurprisingly one of my favorite Mono OMs as a result. AG is nice as well, although I kinda get bored if I play too much of it.

3. I don't think I would be playing Ubers or Pokemon right now. Part of what's kept me here is the Monotype community. I sometimes make fun of it, but the community is actually very welcoming. If you get to know people, everyone's actually very nice. I've played on and off since 2006, but I've never stayed for longer than a year until now because I've never been a part of a community. Thanks again to all of you!

4. I think Water-types are the most aesthetically pleasing. Kyogre was a long-time favorite of mine because it just looks so epic. A monstrous leviathan that rules the seas? That's just badass. Other awesome Water-types are Keldeo, which I affectionately nickname Epona, and Suicune.

5. Worst type is Poison. They all look so ugly. I don't think I like a single one.

6. Best side server? Prime of course! Here's a sample I took of the cancer cells from that server: oshet usure about that TR8R feelsjimmieS you activated my trapcard feelslol Gtfo

7. Very hard to choose. I'd split my answer by genre. Gintama is the best comedy, Steins;Gate is the best Sci-Fi, Psycho-Pass (S1) is the best dystopia. And of course, for featuring the best anime character, Danganronpa has the best cast.

8. #NORCALEXIT. SoCal's been stealing our water forever and won't let us actually do anything on our own.

9. Only if the swimsuit filled with gravel is on the 11037 meat bone and it's possible to move all of the liquid oil.

10. It says you have 0 taste. "Chiaki is the best girl." Definitely not the "evilest". Nope.

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Which game are you getting?
Favorite alolan starter?
Favorite starter overall?
Opinion on Z moves?

1. What made you go into eng, even tho ur interests stray away from technical.
2. Favorite side server emote ?
3. Favorite character from DR who is actually still alive.
4. Thoughts on Trump as your new president.
5. How can you call yourself a HO fighting main at heart when you don't even play it anymore? And even worse, you like stall now? *triggered*
6. Thoughts on bagged milk?
7. do you consider yourself a weeaboo since you write fanfic?
8. Why do you pronounce your own name wrong?
9. What is your favorite memory on PS?

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Who is the best mono player and why is it MaxDerp?
Why is Mutiny the best?
Why is ZyoKing57 god-like at mafia?
Will Mang0 ever play like 2014 manGOAT again?
Are you going to Genesis 4?
When are you going to stream a playthrough of SDR2?
Where can I sign-up to make an analysis for Magcargo?

If you had to play an official ladder, which tier would you choose (can't be Ubers)?
What playstyle do you think will standout in Gen 7 and what type do you look forward to using the most?
Out of the new editions and all of the unbans, what are he top 3 Pokemon that need to be banned right away?
Where do you think Flying's viability will end up?

Why are you johning woa tour?
When are we reviving ICY?
not johning, we both agreed next weekend was best. plus I have a midterm on friday and a project due wednesday.

ayy I see you

Which game are you getting?
Favorite alolan starter?
Favorite starter overall?
Opinion on Z moves?
Neither game. I don't play the games anymore. I just don't have the patience with 100% speed.

Don't like any of them. they all look like dorks.

Favorite starter is my boy Squirtle

Z-moves are why we can't have nice things. GameFreak pls

1. What made you go into eng, even tho ur interests stray away from technical.
2. Favorite side server emote ?
3. Favorite character from DR who is actually still alive.
4. Thoughts on Trump as your new president.
5. How can you call yourself a HO fighting main at heart when you don't even play it anymore? And even worse, you like stall now? *triggered*
6. Thoughts on bagged milk?
7. do you consider yourself a weeaboo since you write fanfic?
8. Why do you pronounce your own name wrong?
9. What is your favorite memory on PS?
1. both my parents do CS and I kinda just copied them. also money.
2. Endog
3. Kirigiri! ;w;
4. nop.
5. I blame GameFreak for making other types better than it.
6. hate uncultured barbarians
7. no. I'm not a weeb like 6ti
8. At least I can pronounce Camerupt, unlike 6ti
9. I think nothing can compare to the original Tygastro night. s/o Zyo

Who is the best mono player and why is it MaxDerp?
Why is Mutiny the best?
Why is ZyoKing57 god-like at mafia?
Will Mang0 ever play like 2014 manGOAT again?
Are you going to Genesis 4?
When are you going to stream a playthrough of SDR2?
Where can I sign-up to make an analysis for Magcargo?

If you had to play an official ladder, which tier would you choose (can't be Ubers)?
What playstyle do you think will standout in Gen 7 and what type do you look forward to using the most?
Out of the new editions and all of the unbans, what are he top 3 Pokemon that need to be banned right away?
Where do you think Flying's viability will end up?
1. Never forget the lord who brought to us Fire Blast DDnite, Moltres Flying, Hawlucha Flying, and a Fighting team that actually lost to Gurdurr Fighting.
2. This is mutiny!
3. im doc.
4. In my dreams, he still does... My boy's coming back I know it... Next tour for sure.
5. No I'm afraid I'm not competitive when I can't play Melee for something like 8 months of the year :(
6. When someone gives a bankrupt college student SDR2 for Steam. That jank setup I was thinking about before is absolutely no good.
7. I heard it got buffed actually. That being said, NEVER speak to me again.

8. OU for sure. I've never liked any lower tiers at all. Something about them rubs me the wrong way.
9. I think balance will be the best throughout SuMo and especially after we ban the most broken elements. Balance is just a style almost every type can build, and its reliability is what kept it at the top of ORAS. I don't see that substantially changing in SuMo. I look forward to playing Flying, in spite of how hard it'll probably be at the beginning.
10. Tapu Lele, Pheromosa, and Aegislash. Tapu Lele and Aegislash will make it difficult to fairly assess other Pokemon and are generally just broken anyway. And Pheromosa is just too powerful.
11. Flying will definitely still be high tier, whether it's top tier anymore is up for debate.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  1. What's your favorite official tier? Are you going to play more of that in the next gen?
  2. Any new incoming stars?

1. What's your favorite official tier? Are you going to play more of that in the next gen?
  2. Any new incoming stars?
1. Ubers is my favorite official tier. For usage-based tiers, I'd say OU. I'd definitely like to give both some more time in SuMo if I'm not too busy with settling into SuMo Monotype.
2. Its Hatch definitely comes to mind for new talent. He started off looking real sharp and has only gotten better, so I think MPL managers might want to keep an eye on him over the next couple of months. Although 6ti's been around for over half a year and is pretty known for being on the staff, his play has made huge strides in the past few months and he's improving a lot. He's got a lot of potential when he sets his mind to it. I think he just needs to have more confidence in himself, and with just a little more experience he'll be great.

When you played cartridge games, which was your favorite?
Do you hate any starter? Can be from any gen
Which fire emblem was your favorite?
Which type do you think is the worst in the metagame? (assuming you answered poison aesthetically)
Best new fairy type in su/mo?
Why do better lower tiers 'rub you the wrong way?'

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
2. Its Hatch definitely comes to mind for new talent. He started off looking real sharp and has only gotten better, so I think MPL managers might want to keep an eye on him over the next couple of months. Although 6ti's been around for over half a year and is pretty known for being on the staff, his play has made huge strides in the past few months and he's improving a lot. He's got a lot of potential when he sets his mind to it. I think he just needs to have more confidence in himself, and with just a little more experience he'll be great.
Forgot up and coming mono jesi the ace two two

When you played cartridge games, which was your favorite?
Do you hate any starter? Can be from any gen
Which fire emblem was your favorite?
Which type do you think is the worst in the metagame? (assuming you answered poison aesthetically)
Best new fairy type in su/mo?
Why do better lower tiers 'rub you the wrong way?'
1. I had the most fun with Sapphire
2. I don't like any starters after gen 3.
3. Radiant Dawn is my favorite by a huge margin. You definitely need to play it.
4. Yeah, Poison was based on looks. I think the worst type is Ice.
5. Alolan Ninetales looks beautiful.
6. It's not really that I hate lower tiers or anything. I just don't enjoy playing them. It's kind of hard to explain, but I've never liked lower tiers even since DPP days.

Reactions: 6ti

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
thoughts on my amazing C&C work?
How many years will it take for me to get the k00l tiering contributer badge?
Ur favorite memers?
Why did u choose lucario over something like hawlucha or conkeldurr on ur original fighting team?
Thoughts on mafia Monday's with Zyo? Would be fun ey?

And never make fun of bagged milk again u uncultured barbarian

thoughts on my amazing C&C work?
How many years will it take for me to get the k00l tiering contributer badge?
Ur favorite memers?
Why did u choose lucario over something like hawlucha or conkeldurr on ur original fighting team?
Thoughts on mafia Monday's with Zyo? Would be fun ey?

And never make fun of bagged milk again u uncultured barbarian
why'd you post twice you baboon

Your amazing C&C work is better reviewed by all falls down or Lax. s/o Kyurem-B, s/o Breloom

You could get it in 1 year if you tried you sloth

My favorite memer is tygastro57 of course!

Because Hawlucha is too weak and Conkeldurr is too slow. Real reason: I loved using Lucario in DPP.

No. Corge is banned from ever playing mafia with me again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)