Role Playing Pathfinder Society - The Overflow Archives cancelled

Approved by shade, intro texts shamelessly stolen from vonFiedler

What is Pathfinder?

In 1974 Gary Gygax invented Dungeons & Dragons. What he didn't know at the time was that he had created the first customizable element game, decades before other CEGs like Magic the Gathering or Pokemon. Gary Gygax wasn't worried about game balance, he just wanted a multi-person storytelling device. In his mind, no one would want to play as the rank and file Fighter, and the Wizard was of course the most powerful cause that is how it worked in the Lord of the Rings.

However, Dungeon & Dragons captured the hearts of pre-video game nerds everywhere. Over 35 years and 7 revisions, the game became much more balanced and interesting. Games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 only attempt to capture the thrill of tabletop gaming; an immersive experience where you are totally in control. Then Wizards of the Coasts made 4th Edition D&D with the primary intent of selling collectible miniatures, everyone hated this.

But like at the end of the Two Towers when Gandalf appears with a ton of guys on horseback to save Helm's Deep, the gaming company Paizo used the Open Gaming License to create Pathfinder, now hailed as the spiritual successor to Dungeons & Dragons. Come friends, whether you be an Elven Sorcerer, Dwarven Paladin, Gnomish Rogue, or so on, come slay dragons with us! Fame and treasure are on the horizon!

Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Society is a much more relaxed pulp fiction sort of environment compared to the sometimes year long quests that you can play with friends. You create a character, show up to events with approx. 4-hour long adventures, and leave with loot and experience (for every three scenarios you gain a level). In this way, you can think of Pathfinder Society as sort of a Massively Multiplayer Roleplaying Game. You can take your character from any Smogon PFS game and play locally in Pathfinder events all over the world.

PFS Website said:
Pathfinder Society Organized Play is a worldwide fantasy roleplaying campaign that puts YOU in the role of an agent of the Pathfinder Society, a legendary league of explorers, archaeologists, and adventurers dedicated to discovering and chronicling the greatest mysteries and wonders of an ancient world beset by magic and evil.

The campaign’s home base is sprawling Absalom, the so-called City at the Center of the World, that stands astride the great Inner Sea on the mountain-capped Isle of Kortos. A Pathfinder’s adventures explore the dark alleys and political intrigue of Absalom between far-flung travels to the most interesting and exotic locales in the world of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

In Pathfinder Society Organized Play, you play a member of the Pathfinder Society, seeking fortune and glory all over the face of Golarion. At the same time, your character works for one of the competing factions, all with their own motivations and secret agendas.

Play is organized into Seasons, throughout which the actions and achievements of you and your fellow Pathfinders create an ongoing storyline. Each season consists of at least 28 Pathfinder Society scenarios (short, 4-hour adventures) set in a variety of exotic locations across Golarion.
Beginner help

For any event you can either create your own character or use a pregenerated character. Using a pregen character gives you a credit towards leveling up any created character. Like Pokemon there is a lot to learn about the d20 system. While not a necessity, purchasing a copy of the Core Rulebook would give you the most thorough understanding of the basic rules. On the plus side, it's also a fascinating book to read through with great artwork. The most comprehensive source of information, if a little overwhelming, is the Pathfinder SRD. If you want to make a character using it, I would recommend starting here. Finally, there is a friendly Discord server where you can ask for help.

The FREE Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play is also required reading regardless of your experience level. The Core Rulebook and the d20pfsrd are campaign-agnostic resources, but that Guide contains information needed to play in the Pathfinder Society campaign.

Events

I will be hosting games on Saturday afternoons every now and then. The next event is on February the 11th at 4 PM EST. I need 4-6 players, please RSVP in this thread. Game specifics listed below, but generally the games take between 4 and 6 hours to run.

These games will be held over the Roll20 tabletop simulator website. We will use voice over Discord if everyone agrees to it, otherwise text-only over Roll20. Guide below. We will meet on Discord. There you can also get help regarding character creation or pregens.

Event Rules

PFS Scenarios are structured like single events. You have no commitment to show up to all of them, or to attend in any order. These are based on in person events usually run in hobby shops. On the internet you often take for granted the rules of common courtesy, but if you attend an event you will show the same basic respect as if you were meeting in person. The following rules are absolutely necessary to ensure that scenarios are run in a timely manner and don't drag past 4 hours. To break these rules is not just inconsiderate towards your GM, it's inconsiderate towards every other player.

1. If you RSVP, set aside plans and be prepared to show up on time.
2. Do not multi-task on the internet while playing; this has been proven to waste time for everyone.
3. Pay attention to the game; if you have to scroll up on Roll20 or Discord or have someone explain to you what has happened, you are wasting time.
4. Be ready to act on your turn. Think about what your character would do before it is the time to do it. This is a common rule in person.
5. If you have to go afk we understand, but please tell people.
6. As soon as you have 2 Prestige, buy and keep a stock of Wand of Cure Light Wounds or Wand of Infernal Healing. You cannot expect others to spend their money healing you.

Finally, you will need to register yourself and your character on the PFS Website. Please take care of this before showing up.
- Send the GM a picture of your character via Discord
- Roll the dice by either /r 1d20+5 or [[1d20+5]]
- Roll for initiative by clicking on your character token and writing [[1d20+7.07&{tracker}]] in the chat. If your initiative modifier were +1 then you would roll [[1d20+1.01&{tracker}]] and if it were +13 then you would roll [[1d20+13.13&{tracker}]].
- You can save often-used rolls as Macros at the Collections-tab on the Roll20 table.

Last edited:
The first scenario to be ran is the iconic First Steps.

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st level characters.

In your first mission as a Pathfinder agent, the head of the Grand Lodge sends you on a number of missions throughout the metropolis of Absalom, pitting you against traps,thieves, and even an unruly devil, all in the pursuit of knowledge.
First Steps Part 1: In Service to Lore (Tier 1) GM: Agape
February the 11th, 4 PM EST
Roll20 Table link here
Discord link here
Signups:
- Hitmonleet
- KnightsofCydonia
- RODAN (you flaked the last 2 times js)
- Blazade
-
-

People who haven't played this scenario have priority in signups. Normally you cannot replay scenarios, but Tier 1 and Tier 1-2 scenarios are exceptions. I will only take replaying people if I cannot get 4 new players.

Last edited:
i've got experience with pathfinder, but am not sure what my availability is for that day, and won't know til wednesday. pencil me in, but give preference to folks who know they can

Note that the Spheres of Power classes which are widely discussed over Discord are not available to play in the Pathfinder Society Campaign because they are 3rd party material.

1/6

you all need to get to that point^ to play this

as time looms closer to the game and ppl show up with ready characters I will boot people who haven't in favor of those with characters

a half-finished character is unplayable and real character > pregenerated character because writing a character teaches you a foundation on the rules as well

in 2 days I will purge the signups list from those who have made no effort to build their characters or looked over the pregenerated characters

join the discord and ask for help!

Getting help from the Discord server was pretty crucial to getting my character developed. They have vital resources such as guidebooks, character sheets, and comprehensive wikis, and are always willing to spitball with you, answer questions, or walk you through any step of the character creation process.

removed blazade and shubaka from signups, added ullar

to get (back) into the signups list you need to create a character or pick a pregenerated character

Blazade's character is ready

we will play over text on roll20

hitmonleet I need to see your sheet, I know you have made a character since I read the discussion on discord

rodan also I need to see your sheet

3 players showing up is the minimum for the game to happen

session cancelled due to knightsofcydonia and hitmonleet not being able to make it

Later tonight I will post new signups for next week.

People, don't be flakes. Clear your calendar before signing up. You knew the date in advance. I could have helped other people make characters to make this session happen. RSVP means commitment.

Next session will have mandatory microphone use. Cheap office headsets are cheap and you can use earplugs w. mic as well (discord works on phone if your earplugs' plug doesn't carry mic signal to your computer).

Let's try this again.

First Steps Part 1: In Service to Lore (Tier 1) GM: Agape
February the 18th, 4 PM EST
Roll20 Table link here
Discord link here
Signups:
- Blazade
- Walrein
- DrAwesome532
-
-
-

People who made characters (hitmonleet, knightsofcydonia, rodan, blazade) will have priority. This time we will use voice chat, so having a mic is mandatory. Contact me over discord to make a character, I will get back to you if I'm afk when you message me.

The time is negotiable to be pushed back by one hour, mention in the signups if you'd like this and also note if you cannot make it if it starts at 5. The game will take between 4 and 5 hours to finish. If time runs out the scenario will just end prematurely.

tagging Walrein and Former Hope because they expressed interest

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)