OU - What's Their Last? - Round 6 (Submission Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hosted by Stan Soojung
Aprroved by Subject 18, Based off UU What's His Last

banner graciously provided by esteemed user Bummer <33

Welcome to the SM OU version of 'What's their last?'!

Long ago back in DPP, there was no team preview and the question of "What's their last?" was commonly asked. You had to prepare for anything in that last slot and come to an educated guess or conclusion. Even still today, we use these skills to build better, more efficient teams. Think of this project as a lesson in teambuilding!

Every round a new team of 5 will be posted, your guys' job is to use your knowledge and deductive teambuilding skills to suggest the final slot of the team. Over the next few days, these nominations will be discussed amongst the users until voting opens. Voting sessions will go up one week after teh team for said round has been posted, and the nomination with the most votes, will be the winner! In addition to that there will be a Honorbake Mention for nominee who guessed that last mon correctly The team will be archived, and the user who suggested the set will have his or her name alongside the team, archived.

------------

Rules & Guidelines

1. Standard OU forum rules apply. No flaming / antagonising please. Also no one liners.
2. No joke sets. Sets that are plain bad / unviable are not welcome.
3. Don't be an ass and flame the team / sets that people post.
4. Reservations are okay, as long as you post the set within 24 hours of posting the reservation.
5. No weird gimmicks. If you think a low-rated Pokémon should add on the team, please give an in-depth explanation, but non-viable mons like Jolteon are not allowed.
6. Only minor slashing is allowed. Sometimes a coverage move or item is up to player preference, but you can't actually have 5 moves in a battle so don't go overboard.
7. Only one suggestion per round. Please only pick 1 Pokémon.
8. No changing the other members of the team, including sets.
9. Voting for your own nomination is NOT ALLOWED.
10. PM me on Smogon if you want to send in teams. Please only send in teams if you feel like they are good teams and have been tested, I can't promise that your team will be featured, but it's worth a try.
11. When choosing a last slot for a team, evaluate the archetype of the team and would it would synergise well with it. For example stall teams wouldn't appreciate the presence of Mega-Gallade.
12. Happy Posting!
13. You found the 13th rule i put a lot of effort into this so you should like it
-------------

Current Team

Team graciously provided by Finchinator

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Defog

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide
- Hydro Pump

-------------

Archive

Week 1 | Winner - Silver_Lucario42 | Correct Nomination - foxx3424
Week 2 | Winner - Divine Retribution
Week 3 | Winner & Winner - Gary & DownAbove | Correct Nomination - DownAbove
Week 4 | Winner - michaeloche
Week 5 | Winner - Ramses
Round 6

Last edited:

Specially Defensive Celesteela

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Looking at the team, it becomes pretty clear pretty quickly that Specs Lele nabs a kill every time it comes in, and Protean Greninja is incredibly threatening too. Sp.Def Celesteela is a capable answer to both of these Pokemon, while providing a more solid ground immunity than Latios. While it's by no means a perfect answer for Smack Down Flynium Lando-T, it helps keep the pressure off of Tang and can pivot into the Z Fly, helping Tang in the long run. SD Grassium Bulu also otherwise runs through this team pretty easily outside of Gren, which Celesteela helps with. AV Magearna, another possible choice for the last slot, doesn't really help against SD Bulu, and while Celesteela's not a hard stop to Bulu by any means, the combination of it and Tangrowth provide enough insurance against Bulu's main sets to not be too problematic. It also provides a semi decent switchin to MMaw, something Magearna can't as easily provide, although it's not a 100% check either due to TPunch/Fire Fang. It primarily enables the team to pivot into Zygarde, who can take a Sucker Punch and KO back with TArrows.

Last edited:
skarmory @ rocky helmet
252 hp / 252 def
- spikes
- whirlwind
- roost
- counter

if its not celesteela its skarm there are no other legit options it was a bad mon to remove for r1
spikes to weaken shit ig and something to help with lando in case tang gets evaporated or overloaded

Last edited:
I'm going with something a little more offensively oriented.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

While Zard-Y can't switch in on much, especially if rocks are up (Latios has Defog, so that helps), it can still make for an offensive check to stuff like Lando-T and Specs Lele, as mentioned above, due to its superior speed tier. It also has good offensive synergy with Zygarde and Greninja; for example, neither enjoys the presence of Ferrothorn, which Charizard can take out with ease, and Zygarde can 2HKO Toxapex, which Charizard has issues dealing with.

(and yes, I know I fucked up with some of the pictures)

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

This team is clearly bulky offense, with rocks and defog, a solid defensive core in Clef and Tangrowth, and a scarfer in the form of Greninja. However, this team lacks a good sweeper to come in late-game and finish the job. Shift Gear Magearna is one of the most potent sweepers in the tier, with great coverage and a fantastic ability in Soul Heart that allows its power to snowball out of control. With these six members, you have a great representation of bulky offense in SM OU!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
sub heatran

your ad here (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Substitute

the team needs something to take advantage of the stuff that cb zyg often forces in like growth. subtran can set up a substitute on it to wear down switchins such as fini over the course of the game. additionally, heatran gives the team a much better matchup against stall, like if you eliminate chansey then latios just kinda has a fun time, if you eliminate thapex then trash gren does stuff, if you go for anything else then you can ko them with a sub up so you can come back in later. additionally it provides defensive support against stuff like msciz/bulu/lele and prevents ferro from spiking.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
(placeholder for the sprite because I'm on mobile rn)
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch

I feel like this team lacks some breaking power and also can't break Stall so I figured this would help there. While Band Zyg works as a wallbreaker, it lacks the power to beat some fatter walls and also struggles vs Stall. It also relies on Outrage to break the likes of Mew and Tangrowth, which can lead to it fainting early if it gets a 3 turn. SD Mawile can set up on some of these and proceed to break the opposing team or sweep late game. It also beats Stall if running T Punch tho it needs to win a bunch of Sub 50-50s to beat pink mons Stall

Last edited:

Landorus-T @ Flynium Z
EVS: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down

All the good answers were taken (celesteela). This team lacks Landorus and it's impossible to build without it so obviously that's what it has to be. The team is hugely weak to opposing Landorus-T, especially Z-Fly, so basically use yours to ideally weaken it first, AV Tangrowth currently beats every mon on the team too, with the only way to deal with it is by using your own Tangrowth and hopefully winning 1v1. Being able to intimidate set up Zygardes is nice and tbh even other mons such as Mega-Scizor, Mega Mawile and other physical attackers are problematic so having intimidate in the back is really nice. Also Smack Down is always a nice 'lure' for Celesteela in order to allow Latios to be able to effectively break as the team does struggle in that department a little bit which is why SD is nice for this set

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

This team is clearly bulky offense, with rocks and defog, a solid defensive core in Clef and Tangrowth, and a scarfer in the form of Greninja. However, this team lacks a good sweeper to come in late-game and finish the job. Shift Gear Magearna is one of the most potent sweepers in the tier, with great coverage and a fantastic ability in Soul Heart that allows its power to snowball out of control. With these six members, you have a great representation of bulky offense in SM OU!
Lol I'm almost positive you're right, I think it's either this or Heatran as Silver_Lucario42 pointed out.

The results are in, and Silver_Lucario42's Heatran has won! and foxx3424's Magearna was actually the correct answer, both of you're nominations will be archived.

Now onto this week's team,

team graciously provided by Subject 18
Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 28 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

quick reminder that i am accepting teams, so if you want to submit a team, please pm me! ~

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic

I think this teams lacks a physicall wallbreaker to help Tyranitar in its sweep. In this vein, Zygarde is great to wear down mutual checks with Ttar such as Skarm, Celes, Lando-T, Tang, among others. I think CB Zygarde set is great in order to wear down those checks, as well, getting key Toxic off in common switch-in. If you want, considering this team is lacking a Z-move user, then you can use things like Dragonium or Grondium.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

As mentioned in the post above mine, Mega Tyranitar can have its sweep attempts hampered by the likes of Celesteela, Skarmory, defensive Landorus-T, and Tangrowth. Subzero Slammer Kyurem-B can muscle its way past all of those, including straight up OHKOing SpD Celesteela. I have opted for Earth Power in the last slot so you can do something to grounded Steel mons, especially Heatran, without being forced out.

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 426-502 (107 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 249-294 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 168-198 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 544-648 (170.5 - 203.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (mainly for posterity, also it's worth noting you outspeed Adamant offensive Lando-T)
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 532-628 (139.2 - 164.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 722-852 (178.7 - 210.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (this is AV Tang)
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 48 SpD Tangrowth: 362-428 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (this is RH Tang)

Last edited:
Going to go with Marowak-Alola here

The team desperately needs to check stuff like Mega Scizor and Magearna to a certain extent, not to mention Ferro gets a spike against Ash-Greninja nearly every time. Also bops steela, tang, weakens lando-t, etc

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

I know it just won the last round but Heatran actually rounds this team out nicely as well by threatening steels like Skarm and Scizor, as well as pivots such as Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, and Toxapex who can otherwise be quite annoying for our wincons.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest - Flash Fire
212 HP, 16 Defence, 32 Sp. Atk, 248 Speed
-Magma Storm
-Substitute
-Taunt / Toxic
-Earth Power​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)