OU Player of the Week #7: Finchinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
whats your favourite plate
Toxic Plate

thoughts on this quote:
a) that's not even true b) binghamton has a higher graduate (business school) salary average by a significant margin c) i'm not even getting an accounting degree d) you keep shittalking up state new york when newark is 10x worse
Easily one of the best quotes in Smogon history. Also, it was said by one of the most handsome and intelligent users in Smogon history!

hey finchinator i know we've been friends for about five years and even talked frequently for the two years i wasn't playing pokemon!

however, there are some things i still need to know about you:

who do you fuckin hate in smogon
I don't really "hate" anyone, actually, but that isn't to say there aren't a bunch of idiots in this community as there are.
whos the shittiest player uve played
Smurf and Johnyiu.

who's your favourite ORAS player?
My favorite ORAS player to watch is probably Nintendi as of late, but if we're talking over the past few years then it is probably ABR or TDK. I feel like these two have been the most consistent in their gameplay/performances, but they also demonstrate a degree of mastery when it comes to teambuilding that others simply cannot demonstrate themselves. After a strong SPL and STour, I think it's safe to say that Nintendi is one of the best ORAS players at the moment and he is also fun to watch, so I felt that including him in the discussion was worthwhile, too.

Analytic said:
Do you like puzzles?

Nui said:
You mentioned that Landorus-Therian should be heavily looked at, can you elaborate? As we all know Lando-T has been the most centralized mon in the OU tier for awhile now and many players would consider it to be a staple in most meta relevant teams. What aspects of Lando-T in SM would warrant a suspect test?
Good question! I, for one, am not much of a believer in their being too strong of a direct correlation between centralization and brokenness or banworthiness. As an extension of this, I believe that the term "overcentralization" should rarely, if ever, be used and it is not a passable argument for banning something in a suspect discussion in itself. I do think that Landorus-Therian holds a degree of centralization in the tier and if you look at the usage statistics, common team structures, etc., then I think it's likely that you and everyone else agrees to this, too. However, the actual "problem" with it is generally the lack of actual defensive counterplay to the offensive Z sets of Landorus-Therian. This is something that nearly everyone overlooks when thinking about what might be banworthy or potentially unhealthy in the tier because everyone is too consumed trying to use Landorus-Therian on their team for the combined defensive and offensive merit it provides most team structures. I am not going to outright say that I am pro-ban on Landorus-Therian, but I am very much pro-suspect as I would like to see a metagame without it. If the tier is inherently flawed and reliant upon a Pokemon like Landorus-Therian to function defensively, then so be it -- that would be unfortunate, but perhaps understandable. The thing is that not only do I not see this as the likely case, but I see the removal of Landorus-Therian to be a potential improvement to the tier. Why? Well, part of the reason is that I feel it will open up many opportunities, making new things offensively and defensively have more merit than they otherwise would. However, that is not really a reason to ban or remove something from the tier and I am entirely in agreement with that not being good reasoning. The ultimate thing fueling my opinion is that there really is very little, if any, concrete counterplay to the offensive Z sets on Landorus-T. I personally use the Z-Fly Smack Down EQ SR/SD set very often and not only does it do a lot against stall, but it also gets in multiple times in most match-ups and it is a struggle to truly "counter" it (not that it gets a kill each time, as that simply is not the case, but the amount of damage it does and the consistency it gets up Stealth Rock is truly something else). Additionally, the classic double dance Z-Stone Edge and swords dance Z-Stone Edge sets are a bit easier to play around, but still find a way to nuke something in most match-ups and simply are hard to counter. I am not entirely sure if it's broken or not, but I would be in favor of a suspect and I wish people considered the offensive presence of Landorus-Therian in this fashion to at least generate more opinions as opposed to totally ignoring the prospect because it is so common and "necessary" in the current metagame.

Also what is your favorite anime and book?
I do not watch anime and I have not read much since junior year of HS, so I don't think I have much of an answer here -- sorry.

GMars said:
Why are you like this (1, 2, 3, etc.)? ._.

DrPumpkinz said:
What does "IT'S FINK DUMBASS" refer to?
The week my team played the Raiders in SPL 6, I told them that if we won 10-2 or better, then I would change my name to Finc2612 for the remander of the tour. Vinc2612 was on that team and that was sort of the origin of the joke, I suppose. Sure enough, we won 10-2 and I got the name change for the next few weeks. Vinc2612's user title is IT'S VINCE DUMBASS so I guess mine became IT'S FINK DUMBASS (s/o zebraiken) and it just stuck!

Posho said:
Where did you get your tryhard behavior from? I really hope you're like this in real life
Uhh I mean I am whenever I work for group projects or play on a team -- I always am at my best when other people's results are on the line alongside my own. I don't necessarily not give my full effort when working on things solely as an individual, but sometimes the level of motivation is simply less than in team settings IRL and on here. I guess I just care a lot more when things for others are also at stake, but I can't be 100% sure as I just act how it feels natural. Perhaps there is a psychological reasoning behind this.

Do you still remember when we met back then in POCL auction when you were constantly spamming my name? Look at how far we've reached together now (no homo >//////<)
Yes, POSHO THE THUNDER, I do recall spamming your name n_n

Do you think we'll ever see you use Chansey outside of any standard stall at some point in spl/wcop again?
I try to make Chansey offense work in modern gens every now and then, but doubtful.

Aside from all the jokes, I think you're one of the greatest dudes I've got to met here in Smogon, hope you think the same about me xD kuk im gay
Thanks fam, go win tour now n_n

sedertz said:
Onto questions:

Realistically, how long will we have to wait for FINCHTOUR__?
Hopefully, not too long!

E: Oh yeah forgot this one:

As a VR Council Member, which Pokemon's placement on the OU Viability Rankings do you disagree with the most?
I don't think there are any I disagree with too much, but there are a few things I would change 1 rank here or there I suppose. Not sure which I feel the strongest about though.

A lot of really good questions left and I will get to them later today or Sunday (busy Saturday). Very much looking forward to answering and feel free to keep them coming :o

hey finch :v
- whats ur top 3 imagine dragons songs? i love that band but not enough to listen to their less known songs, which underrated/less known song of them do u like best and would recommend?
- whos ur favorite tutee? whos ur favorite po tutee from the middle east?
- what do u think of the oras pool this wcop
- u said ur looking forward for the snake draft tour, are u gonna try to manage in it?
- what about grand slam? are u gonna be motivated for it or just gonna play it out and try srsly if u get far in a couple of opens? (or not at all)
- what do u think of OLT? should it exist? if yes would u encourage double elim when stour isnt?
- india or bangladesh? (regardless of their current opponents)
- whats ur favorite sm non ou tier so far? (u can count nu if ur looking forward to it)
v:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
favorite cereal?
a movie that makes u cry every time?
what color socks do you wear the most, and are you wearing that same color right now?
do you like it when girls put on that perfume that makes them smell like a vanilla dessert?
are ghosts real?

we've been around each other for a long time, constantly circling, neither one knowing how to really break the ice. we even came up around the same time but our conversations have thus far been limited to pokemon and talking trash. so I thought I'd get to know you better with these. hope you answer some!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hello Finch. I actually do have some questions I'd love to ask, and conveniently you're an avid BW player so I do have some questions geared towards that. I'm sure some of these you've been asked a lot, so apologies in advance if these are rather annoying.
Dw man, glad to answer :D

I saw you detailed a lot about how you enjoy BW in spite of some of the metagame decisions in the very beginning. Being as one of those people that witnessed a lot of these decisions from the beginning (Sleep Clause, Swift Swim + Drizzle Ban) I felt I would like to ask what your general opinion is on the weather wars within BW? To rephrase the question if necessary - would you make any significant changes to BW OU if you could i.e. banning / unreleasing?
I wasn't around until Aug/Sept 2011, but I still witnessed most of BW and I have a recollection of a fair amount. I think that weather wars are an aspect of BW that are overrated as, unless they're decided pre-maturely due to a misplay or a lure getting a kill on a weather inducer that is necessary for a player to continue having a path to victory in the match, then they truly do not decide that much. I mean, sure having rain up to spam Hydro Pump with Scarf Keldeo late game is nice whereas having sand up to neuter that prospect is also nice on the other side, but at the end of the day a lot more emphasis is put on general optimal play and game-planning than merely preserving weather for the sake of doing so. If it is necessary and optimal to keep your weather for as long as possible, so be it, but there is no direct relevance/importance of weather wars and optimal gameplay should be the approach, like any other metagame. Weather tends to actually be a really controversial, polarizing factor about BW OU in the heads of so many people, but I just view it as another aspect of the metagame that makes play more interesting and potentially diverse, so it doesn't stand-out as much to me and I think that's the right way to look at any element in any metagame barring few rare exceptions. Anyway, I probably went on too much about weather wars and not about things that should be banned/unbanned/etc., which was clearly the focus of your question, so I will say that I think Excadrill should be banned again from BW as the Sand Rush sets on non-sand teams are insanely difficult to deal with when using fairly standard sand teams with the speed it has, balloon to grant immunity to spikes and the ability to spin freely early on generally, and swords dance. Also, it has the sand force SD set on sand teams which is ridiculous, but a bit easier to deal with due to lack of comparative speed. Besides from Excadrill, Latios is objectively broken and banworthy, but it's too late to make such a radical change to the tier and god knows what kind of impact it would have when we cannot actively tier generation five without changing things a lot, so I do not expect anything of this magnitude to be implemented at any point in time even if it might improve things if we removed numerous things from the tier or something along those lines. Also, I would like to note that I am still sort of in favor of my vote on the banning sun freeing excadrill matter as I am glad sun no longer resides in the tier with chlorophyll and I am glad that we at least gave Excadrill a try, but as it has developed into the metagame, it proves to be a bit much for the tier after a lot of thinking (I know M Dragon thought this from the beginning and other people like BKC think this currently, too).

Another question I have is about Tornadus-I. I remember you talk a lot about how great Latios is, and I definitely agree that BW Latios is damn good. I always felt that, once Tornadus-T was banned, Tornadus-I would secretly become a rather annoying Pokemon to deal with for a lot of teams since it has rather limited switch-ins. I'd like to know your opinion on Tornadus-I if possible?
I mean, every team has some sort of "real" flying resist or it is way too weak to Tornadus-I as a general rule of thumb. Some of those being Chople Tyranitar, Rotom-Wash, Jirachi, Specially Defensive Skarmory, etc. and one of these essentially has to be on your team in building. If you do not prepare for Tornadus, then you will be very weak to it, like any other threat, but it is not particularly brutal singlehandedly. However, if you give it Rain and spikes from Ferrothorn and other strong special attackers to weaken the aforementioned pokemon and the opposing team in general, then Tornadus becomes much more potent in the context of the game and that is where a lot of the appeal to it is found. I feel like the ban of Tornadus-T only made Tornadus-I 'better' than it currently is for a month or two until the metagame became stable and now it's still quite good, but it's sort of just the threat on rain offense that you'd expect it to be and nothing more. I prefer Sharp Beak Hurricane/Focus/Uturn/Filler, but the same can be used with Specs to do more damage with Hurricane in all honesty, so yea it has a very solid moveset to use in the tier that fits onto rain often, but again it's nothing insane or too much for the tier - solid A- pokemon I'd say.

Finally, what do you think is a rather underrated and overrated threat in the BW OU Tournament scene?
Underrated? Sub Toxicroak and Thundurus-Therian have been seeing a lot more usage on Rain lately and I find each of these Pokemon to be cool, but they are not seen as full-on 'standard' Pokemon on Rain in the eyes of everyone, so I suppose these two. Overrated? Alakazam was hyped as some broken, anti-offensive powerhouse when it's simply kind of mediocre-to-ok right now and while it can excel with support in many match-ups, it still is far from consistently potent and it's a bit weak without LO and with sash being by far more common and arguably more reliable, it just has less appeal currently.

I also do have one question pertaining to SM OU.

Considering your favorite Pokemon is Garchomp, what are your current thoughts about Mega Garchomp in general and within the current metagame? Personally, I've viewed the current underrated mons in C+ on down to be Mega Chomp, Mega Aero, and Primarina. Knowing that you've built a team with some success with Mega Garchomp, I wanted to know what you generally think of it otherwise.
I think Mega Garchomp is a great measure against stall on teams that either build around it or can integrate it on due to lack of another mega. The speed tie is lowkey irksome, but you have to keep in mind how much damage it does -- I personally love SD 3a with Fire Blast and I am also a fan of SR variants, but it doesn't fit onto too many teams as I mentioned above and while I think it might be B- material, I wouldn't see it going any higher than that. This is the team alluded to in the question, for those wondering, by the way.

Speaking of underrated - what Pokemon do you think are overrated and underrated in SM OU?
Mew and Mantine are underrated. Garchomp is (slightly) overrated and Mega-Sab is overrated and should never be used outside of stall.

Finally, I do have a question pertaining to Hockey. What are your favorite teams to watch in hockey, and do you prefer college level, semis, or professional level?
I mean on TV, I can only watch professional games really. I watch most Ranger games and I enjoy it quite a bit. With that said, when I get to go to the Binghamton AHL team games, it's always enjoyable for me, so I suppose both of these. Never watched college or other levels, however.

Subject 18 said:
What is the mulch/dirt threshold for you these days?
Salutations United States Central substitute number five. How are you doing?

What is the best game you think you've ever played in a tournament setting? Worst game?
I will give five best and three worst with some detail, but they will only be from the big two team tours SPL/WCOP.

Best: 5. Week 3, SPL 6, ORAS NU game vs FLCL - my second ever SPL game where I played around some threats pretty well and managed to get myself into a very good position come mid-late game with some solid risk-vs-reward heavy reads that kind of worked out, but this was nothing too outstanding or special as I also probably had a slight MU advantage and I did not have to overcome too much come the middle of the game.

4. Week 2, SPL 7, BW OU vs Peachy - my second ever BW SPL game where I used something a bit different for my standards, in bulky rain, and it worked out very well and I also managed to avert any potential threats from Peachy's end to take a pretty routine win home for my team in a relatively clean game.

3. Quarterfinals WCOP 2015, BW OU vs Lightchu - my playoff game of WCOP vs Spain's Lightchu. I lost this game due to the infamous Stone Miss + flinch combination and I hesitated to list a game that I did not win, but I felt like I handled turn 1 and then the mid-game very well, taking the right risks and prioritizing all of the right things without a doubt. Sadly, lady luck was not on my side, but I liked my gameplay and prep during this game a lot.

2. Week 7, SPL 8, SM OU vs p2 - my week 7 game against p2 where I pretty much throttled this poor motherfucker. Nah, jokes aside -- I had a clear match-up, but I gave myself a huge lead in the early stages and then ran away with it while preventing him from getting anything going with his win condition and this ultimately resulted in a pretty comfortable victory that I feel I handled quite well.

1. Week 3, SPL 7, BW OU vs Marth - this game was a slaughter from once things got going and it was against someone that a lot of people viewed as one of the top BWers for a number of years, so I am proud of this game and I was just on top of things throughout -- nothing too special to say otherwise.

Worst: 5. Week 5, SPL 8, SM OU vs Hector Hard Mode - I played the early and mid-game quite well, actually, but then I choked by keeping Tapu Fini in late game and nearly lost myself a match I should have nearly 100% won otherwise. Needless to say, I was disappointed with my play regardless of the result still ending in my favor.

4. Week 6, SPL 6, ORAS NU vs Teddeh - I also got into a good position, sort of, early on in this game, but then a combination of playing passive, not thinking things through fully, and getting outplayed mid-late cost me a game I was at least favored to win coming into the middle of the game and as a player in a team tournament, losing a game like that I find to be unacceptable, so this makes the cut. Too long ago to go into many specifics, but from rewatching, I did not do anything too blatantly wrong, I just did not execute properly when I needed to.

3. Qualifying round WCOP 2016, ORAS OU vs Mencemeat - I mean honestly, I did not play this too poorly and I really struggled with his team from a match-up perspective, which is still my fault as is for bringing the team I did, but I did get outplayed consistently and I screwed myself off by letting Keldeo lose Specs, I suppose, even if I personally believe that did not alter how the game transpired much at all. Regardless, I got bodybagged in this game and it still haunts me to this day, so I suppose I have some obligation to include it and..bop here it is xd

2. Qualifying round WCOP 2014, XY OU vs Unbirthday - meh, this game was so long ago and I am nowhere near the player I currently am, but I surely outplayed myself and got outplayed a significant amount in this match and lost a game I surely deserved to in an arguably very winnable match-up. I regret how I handled this on various fronts, but, again, this was from long ago, so I will refrain from going into specifics.

1. Semifinals, SPL 8, SM OU vs Tricking -
Oh and I switched a Keldeo out of a Heatran into a Specs Gengar and got Lava Plume'd when he lacked a Ghost resist, for those wondering! This was probably the most important game of my life and also easily the most disappointing for me.

If you could ban/unban something from a past gen, what would it be and why?
Excadrill from BW because the Sand Rush set on Rain/Weatherless with Balloon, SD, Iron Head, EQ, Rapid Spin is a bit much and also the Sand Force SD set on Sand teams itself is potent as shit, but I got more into detail on this in my answer to CM's question in this post, so feel free to read that for more. Also, I would "consider" banning Clefable from ORAS, but I do not think it is broken, not banworthy. As for unabns, always wanted to see Latias in DPP, but unsure of how it would actually go and if it would be worthwhile, so just curious on that front. Mega-Sableye ban in ORAS was a huge mistake and should have never happened and it belongs in the tier, too.

What's the worst pickup line you've ever used on Tinder? Best pickup line?

Any up and coming users people should keep an eye out in future tours?
Obliviate made it in SPL, but he's still very much a newer player and I expect huge things from him in the near future, perhaps even becoming one of the top 3-4 OUers by mid-late gen7. dukevesper is an SM OU player who mainly played ladder in the past, but I see as a very good prospect for the future if he is patient and continues to try his hardest. Not Troller is easily one of the top 10 RBY players and deserves to get picked in SPL without a doubt, in my mind. ItzViper482 is one of my favorite up-and-coming LC players who is on my LCPL team -- this dude really knows what he's talking about and keeps impressing me, even if he lacks a ton of experience in big tournaments currently. ayevon is another newish player who impresses me with his teambuilding, but he needs more experience playing in bigger situations like most of these other dudes. Marcop impressed me with his vast old generation knowledge for a fairly new player and if he focuses on a tier or two and calms down a bit, I can see him being a high-level tournament regular in the future. There are various others, too, but I do not want this to go on forever and these dudes either were on my mind or specifically stood out to me recently, so I listed them. Also, no, I will not list you on your own question -- good attempt tho xd

Which player do you enjoy watching the most?
McMeghan, Obliviate, and KratosMana as they all have unique takes on things and are not afraid to look outside the box while still remaining optimal, which I view as a really respectable and effective way to approach things.

Have you ever thought about playing any other competitive game? If so which games?
No, I am too addicted to this shit as is and I do not plan to give up on this, so that'll be all for me.

How would you fix the lack of parity in the NBA?
There isn't much they could legitimately do in the immediate future or present that would solve it unless it's genuinely unfair, but they can start promoting competitive moves by teams as opposed to the tank for a couple years and rebuild line-of-action that creates an insane temporary gap between top and bottom, I guess, but then one could argue that many teams will just be continuously mediocre. Overall, there is not much of a solution and I think it's inherently going to be like this sometimes, but it still is somewhat enjoyable, so I do not mind much.

If you could own a sports team, what sport would you pick and why?
Baseball (Yankees) because it is one of the bigger market sports (second to football), it is my favorite sport, I know so much about the game itself, and I feel like growing an in-depth farm system and having so much hinge on long-term development is huge. The Yankees' current team is basically a product of this being done properly in the short term with results being extreme for a first year, but still it shows the fruits of long-term thinking based labor in an MLB franchise and I find this general dynamic to be quite cool and I would like to involve myself with this if it ever became possible (it won't, but we can always dream and theorize).
top 5 halsey songs
1. Control
2. Drive
3. 100 Letters
4. Young God
5. Heaven in Hiding / Gasoline

top 5 builders in sm ou rn?
In no particular order, ABR/TDK/KratosMana/Obliviate/Ben Gay (Ben only when he isn't too wild tho)

player you look upto the most?
I don't look up to too many players currently, to be quite honest, but it used to be McMeghan and Bloo mainly -- I guess these are generic answers from my generation of tournament players.

do u watch anime?
why wont u love me?
no.

your thoughts after game 3

edit: Cavs in 7??????
I wish the Cavs would win this series, but it is nearly impossible at this point tbh. They really screwed themselves over at the end of game 3 and they simply cannot win multiple games @ GSW, let alone one to begin with. They will need to play insane offensively once again just to make it to game 6, to be honest.

Quick ranking of wcop teams from most likely to least likely to take it all (omitting central if you want)
1. East
2. Spain
3. France
4. Brazil
5. Germany
6. US West
7. Canada
8. US Central
9. Oceania
10. Europe
11. Italy
12. UK
13. Asia
14. US Metro
15. LA
16. Greece
17. India
18. Bangladesh (RIP)

what's the meaning of life?

what is your favorite old gen? what's your favorite non pokemon game?
Generation five. Most sports titles because that is all I have really played outside of Pokemon, but I am not sure specifically which -- probably Madden.

mfk: latios, landorus-therian forme, a real girl (w/vagina and breasts)
Marry: Landorus-Therian forme, Fuck: a real girl, Kill: Latios

Congratulations, Finchy :).

Do you love me?
No.

What's your favorite Pokemon?
It's literally at the top of the OP.

If you made it does that mean I can?
Given your forum presence, no chance.

What is your opinion on the current SM meta? What are some changes you would make if you could?
Also literally in the OP.

thx. hmu sometime :).
No thanks.

Oh, yeah, make sure to draft me next time, and one more question:
What's your favorite Lady Gaga song?
No. Bad Romance.

Which is faster Greninja-Ash or Tapu Koko (asking for a friend)?
"Tapu Koko" - esteemed user meepsvictory

How open are you about your pursuit of internet pokemon glory to your friends and acquaintances IRL?
I am pretty open to this, actually. My family and best HS friend know and have even seen me play, asked basic questions, and hope for me to enjoy the time I spend playing. Additionally, my roommate in college, of course, knows I play and I suppose he told my neighbors. Well, sure enough, they came in one night and asked a bunch of questions because they're all big Pokemon fans and had even heard of Smogon once or twice before. I told them what PS was and we played a really basic, funny (to me, at least) game of early Pokebank OU and their ideas/moves actually cracked me up. It was a fun night or two when they went at it and we discussed stuff and it was surprising how cool it was with them -- made me feel quite happy for a bit, actually.

Are there any metas that you are not familiar with that you wish you were?
SM UU, mainly, but I am slowly getting a grasp on that.

Are people who only know 'Closer' the best Halsey fans?
No and they should listen to all of her own actual songs!

What is the worst pokemon that you regularly use (any gen)?
Tentacruel in BW OU.

Best/favorite tournament games you have played and witnessed? Don't skimp on the details
I outlined the best/worst games I played in my answer to Subject 18's question earlier on in this post, but I think I will focus more on high-quality/close games as opposed of my own and in general as opposed to my most well-played games in response to this. I will try to find five of these (these are in no particular order and I'm unsure of how many will actually be my own as opposed to general games that have interested me).

1. SPL 7, Week 1 - BW OU, Finchinator vs LuckOverSkill - This was my first ever SPL BW game and it was insanely close when it was all said and done. I got off to an early advantage, even if it wasn't too large of one, by trapping his Jirachi when he only got Stealth Rock up. Then, I also nailed a pivot to Landorus-T on his Tyranitar and Earthquake'd into his Choice Banded Pursuit, allowing me to keep Landorus-T and essentially get rid of his Tyranitar from that point on. However, through some smart reads and pivots that included chipping my Heatran with consistent Stealth Rock switch-ins to give his Volcarona some leverage, Luck slowly clawed back into the game to lead to a very closely contested end game where I barely edged him out with my offensive tank Gastrodon (epic set, by the way).

2. SPL 7, Tiebreak - ORAS OU, ABR vs GeeMick - This game gets a lot of shit and even I acknowledge that it was far from the best played game, but it still is one that I personally enjoyed so much and have rewatched a solid dozen times since it has happened because it was of such importance and it was between two fairly new players to the tournament scene, at the time, yet it was so closely contested and hyped up beforehand, during, and afterwards. I was also very fond of both of the teams used, especially ABR's as my favorite type of ORAS team at the time was Nidoking bulky-offense/balance, but what really got my attention and made me enjoy it was how close the late game was and how it came down to Crunch defense drops against CM TBolt Clefable with a Tyranitar and Keldeo on Clefable in a last ditch effort for Clefable to sweep against a last ditch effort for anything to possibly break through the Clefable -- this game was just really tense, close, and even if there was some RNG and GeeMick arguably handled some mid-late things suboptimally, it was one of my favorite games to watch and easily one of the most memorable games for me.

3. SPL 7, Finals - ORAS OU, Blunder vs Reiku - I'm not an ORAS player and I actually am not too fond of this tier currently, but I have to admit that late in SPL 7 there were a lot of cool, closely contested games between solid players and this certainly was another one of them! Two bulky-offensive teams with threats to each other being used by solid ass players in form at the time who both made various high-level reads/predictions to sway things situationally in their favor or give them momentum...this is just a classic really good SPL game that I wish we saw a bit more of on a consistent basis in high-level tournaments, but hey maybe I'm a bit picky/selective in this regard myself.

4. STour 20 Finals - BW OU, McMeghan vs Tesung - This was an insanely close game for one of the most important individual tournaments in recent history given that one of these two was going to become a two-time STour winner. McMeghan, down to his last loss, was playing for his life in the tournament and just to get to g3 and he did not disappoint, using a cool bulky-offense with Sash SR Tyranitar. Tesung himself used an interesting team with Shaymin, a Pokemon I'm not too big a fan of, but I still liked seeing it in this match and it was surely something else to add to the already high level of interest. Overall, this was another nailbiter that required a lot of long-term thinking and hard plays to execute for both, with McM barely coming out on top.

5. WCOP 2016 Qualifying round, DPP OU - Jirachee vs McMeghan - This was a fantastic match in my eyes. Neither player really misplayed and Jirachee made a handful of aggressive plays he probably needed to ultimately win this game while McMeghan didn't give things up too easily himself. I do not recall too much specifics about this game, but I do know that McMeghan brought an interesting balance with Fable and Nape whereas Jirachee had a seemingly generic FWG offensive team that had the tools to win the match-up and the tools were utilized properly. This game is one of the many, many examples of why Breloom owns.

Bonus: three tournament games I have played that I don't think would make the cut here, but I found to be especially cool/close: vs McMeghan for ST 18 Playoffs, BW OU, vs Giara for SPL 6 Week 7, ORAS NU, and vs Poek for SPL 8 Week 8, SM OU.

What BW teams of yours are you most proud of?
This rain I used against Jayde was a bit of a departure from my norms and I find it to be especially good nevertheless. I am mainly known for using Sand bulky-O, but I also sort of use Rain offense a fair amount of the time when I feel comfortable doing so. The thing is that I have legitimately never touched Thundurus-Therian before in a tournament game and this set especially is cool for so many 'standard' sand teams, so I felt like properly integrating it into the context of this team was cool and it enabled the two strong waters, in Keldeo + Starmie, to function especially well. Sadly, this team lost vs Jayde in a game I got outplayed in, but was still fairly close on both sides, but I did happen to do insanely well with this in the most recent season of Smogon Tour and this really opened up my eyes to a lot of possibilities with building rain teams in the current metagame.

This is a fairly standard Sand team, but with a few things that I especially like right now that aren't overly common and make it especially effective in the current metagame. Sub Toxic Magma Storm Heatran (or just Sub Toxic in general) is really good and it weakens all of the right things that you want it to for a team like this, especially with Spikes support. Passho Tyranitar is also an underrated set that never really sees usage and it is cool to safely switch into things like Surf from Latios and absorb hits from Pokemon like Politoed when needed. Generally, there will be Water type moves and Tyranitar is often encountering them, almost every game I'd go as far as saying, and this helps with numerous specific ones offensively and defensively when used properly. It's not a Tyranitar set I would necessarily slap onto teams, but I built this team specifically around the Tyranitar (and eventually the Heatran) set(s). I have been toying with Counter over Whirlwind or Brave Bird over Taunt on Skarmory because of Excadrill and a few other things, but unsure of which I like better, but one of the two should be used. Overall, the rest is fairly straightforward/standard, but still effective nevertheless. I will admit that I am vulnerable to Volcarona with HP Ground, by the way, but I find that rare right now and even then, some lack Bug Buzz and then they are slightly manageable if I play my cards right.

Finally, this is a bit more of an unconventional, risky DragMag esque weatherless HO team revolving around an anti-metagame Magnezone set that I took quite a liking to ever since SPL, when I created it in trying to build for Vinc (ultimately didn't use anything remotely similar vs him, but I had a lot of ideas so yea not too shocking I suppose). Anyway, this team has the generic Scarf Chomp and Latios (it can be Specs, by the way, but I've been preferring LO lately just because of all of the Shed Shell steel types and the ability to have longevity against rain thanks to Roost) paired with Magnezone. Magnezone's set is meant to specifically take advantage of the match-up with Ferrothorn on Rain teams, being able to Sunny Day to change the weather and then OHKO the Ferrothorn with HP Fire. This is especially nice if I kill Politoed off early game, but regardless it gives me an added element of momentum as it forced them to get up Rain soon if they still have a Politoed anyway and it also helps for Tornadus-Therian as it can take Focus Blast thanks to Chople Berry, too. This Magnezone is also sort of nice later in games if it gets a free turn against rain as a single Sunny Day can prevent something like Scarf Keldeo from cleaning and I find having a spare Sunny Day against Rain can never hurt you, so yea why not, even if the main purpose is for Ferro early game and having the utility of Chople Berry. Mamoswine fits here nicely as nothing really switches into it, it grants me priority, and it opens holes for Chomper later on in conjunction with Mag/Fire Latios. Finally, ungood Rotom-Wash and Jirachi simply fit on defensively and offensively for various reasons that I do not feel the need to get into, but they provide me, more or less, with what I need. This team runs into trouble if it encounters a bulky team with the right Mamoswine and Latios counterplay in the long haul, but most of the time it is quite manageable and it is one of my favorite teams to play right now, even if it is a bit risky for my normal taste.

Will you ever get into GSC, the pinnacle of OU Pokemon?
I mean I play GSC for fun on-and-off and have a basic understanding of the tier, but I'm far from competent and I have to get a grasp on the long-term thinking process and general guidelines to that if I truly wish to excel. I do not see myself doing this in the near/immediate future, but perhaps next summer if I have time and I am doing well enough in classic to where I can make playoffs -- if that's the case, then I will at least get to a level where I feel comfortable and competent even if I do not necessarily "master" it. But only time will tell here.

Do you think you'll put forth the effort to become a better ORAS player--as in so you'd be worth putting in a starting spot in WCoP/SPL now that it's a more specialized past gen? What holds you back in it now?
Yes, actually. I very much need to do this over WCOP with the help of my good friend HSA, who is playing it for Central, as I want to make a well-rounded SmogTour run for once and for all and this is necessary to do so. I hope to be at an SPL/WCoP level when it is all said and done, but as of now I am very raw and inconsistent in the tier with my builds lacking the level of sophistication that might distinct an average player or a high level ladder player from that of a consistent, top tournament player (with me being in the former of the two categories in ORAS, to specify). It's not even that I do not get the tier, per se, but I simply lack the grasp that I have in BW and SM and it just isn't clicking quite yet. I plan to watch a lot of the WCOP games and test/build a lot with my team and hopefully the time I invest will correlate to an improvement, but we shall have to wait and see how this works out.

Some underrated BW/ORAS/SM sets you don't mind revealing?
SM: Z-Fly Smack Down Landorus-Therian, Dark Pulse Protean Greninja, Sub Coil Zygarde, Gigavolt Havoc Tapu Koko, OTR Z-Shadow Ball Cofagrigus, and Z-Stone Edge Automize Celesteela
ORAS: Sub Endeavor Mega-Diancie, Pursuit utility Mega-Scizor, SD + BP Gliscor, and Tailwind SD Zard-X
BW: 4a Lefties Thundurus-T, Passho Tyranitar, Sunny Day Chople Magnezone, Shuca 4a lead Jirachi, Fighting Gem Focus Blast Politoed, Life Orb Sub Alakazam (idk why Sash gets like 95% of the usage tbh), Ice Gem Terrakion, offensive tank Gastrodon, OTR Slowking, SubPass Mienshao, and Shuca Counter Tyranitar (or Counter Tyranitar in general)

Thoughts on the increased prominence of "cheese" in the tournament scene, and how many respected players claim it ruins otherwise great metas, starting in ORAS and now very much appearing in SM? What would you do about this if you had the power to?
Well, it became evident to me during SPL that there is way too much cheese in SM OU and while I wanted it to be minimzed, I understood why it was used as much as it was and that we should prepare for it like any other element of the game/metagame trend. It is, unfortunately, quite hard to do so, but things like Baton Pass have at least been banned by the council and Webs has been dying down, so that's good. I feel like people need to be a bit less lazy and stubborn in prep, but I also feel like as metagames develop, cheese generally becomes less consistent and effective and, therefore, see less usage. For example, Rain Stall in BW is worse than the best stalls in ORAS or SM, in my opinion, and, therefore, you see less of it unless you're a noob like Posho or Dice (no flame). In general, there's minimal "cheese" in BW and this is actually a big part of the personal appeal to me, but I am actually warming up to SM again and the cheese is, thankfully, dying down. I feel like trying to regulate it or discourage it beyond natural tiering means is simply something that isn't realistic and shouldn't be done no matter how lame it might seem to have cheese present in the metagame, I suppose.

Thoughts on this song? Must be listened to at maximum volume.
Cannot listen bc 4:30am and earbuds in my care, sorry :x I'll try to remember to later

You've come a pretty long way lol good work
Thanks man. It has been a long time and I'm glad to be where I am and hope to stick around for many years to come.

sorry roro/njnp/others, but this post is too long and it's really late, so I will get to these later this weekend x_x

As you know there exists a belief among many Smogon users that you only/mostly use standard teams. Firstly, do you agree with and acknowledge this? If the answer is yes, at least to some extent, then do you A) actively try to change this habit, or B) justify it in saying something along the lines of "standard teams are standard because they win the most and have the most neutral matchups, while anything else may work sometimes but is a mere gamble in the end"?

Can you pinpoint any specific habits that make your playing non-ideal, or do you think that you mostly play games the right way?

Do you get nervous for tour games, and did you in the past? If you still get nervous, do you feel that this is a major roadblock to playing success?

You have made it clear that a trophy is something you wish to obtain on Smogon. Do you feel that you're currently good enough to do so, be it individually or by largely contributing to a team, or do you need to make large improvements before realizing this desire?

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
if you could handpick your wcop pool, what would it look like? please go full tryhard on this question and explain your choices
top 5 favorite non-ou tiers (can be any gen)?
it's becoming an increasingly popular opinion that the oras mega sab ban might've been a mistake. how much do you think mega medicham has to do with that? do you agree that an arena trap + mega medicham ban might result in a better metagame?
what is it about po players that makes them inherently better at pokemon (and apparently also more prone to get banned)?

Last edited:
Hello esteemed @flinchinator

Thoughts on fairy type Pokemon and why mega diancie is the best thing since sliced bread?
Which OU player is the most fun to battle and team build with?
Am I an evil person for advocating T-wave clef last gen ?
NJNP vs CTC which one wins?

Also I'm taking the team posted here for this week's break this team. Thanks in advance

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Favorite "heat"/"cheese"/gimmick team that you've seen/used?

can I fit/place anymore slashes in his post?

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Great read finch.

1- A lot of people have been of the opinion that stall is way too strong and needs to be looked at. Do you agree and if you do, what do you think is the best decision to deal with stall?

2- Which unreleased mons do you think will shake the meta when they drop? and why?

3- I know the council has said they don't plan on banning z moves but how do you feel about them? do you think they're balanced? I'd just like to know your general opinion on z moves since i never talked about it with any of the council members.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Aaron Judge so savage?

Is "-outl" a top 5 meme? If not, name 5 better ones

If you could ban (or unban) something based solely on personal bias and selfishness with no regard for the health of the OU metagame, what would it be?

FMK: 1. mermaid; bottom half fish top half woman 2. mermaid; bottom half woman top half fish 3. Alomomola

Hello Finchinator, what you have said about Latios and Excadrill in BW is really interesting and made me curious about what are your thoughts on Garchomp. While Latios and Excadrill have some kind of accessible defensive counterplay in the form of Tyranitar & Jirachi (Latios) and Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Tangrowth (Excadrill), I find Garchomp being almost impossible to counter when it comes to stop a SD 3 Atks set (which basically destroys its supposed “counters” in spite of being pretty standard in comparison to things like Grass Knot Latios). Life Orb / Dragon Gem/ Fire Gem make things worse to the point the only true way to stop a Chomp sweep is to check it offensively, or to wait for it to lock into outrage. Just wanted to hear what (in your opinion) makes Latios more threatening to the health of the tier than Garchomp.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Going to finish writing my last response tomorrow afternoon/evening. Been slightly busy and occupied with other things, but almost done writing and have to sleep now -- don't lock this or anything, thanks.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I think the font is kind of fucked up because I had to copy paste from my phone in order to save my progress and make the post I did last night
What's worse Scarf Bulu or Scarf Fini?

Simple. Bless Up, Grats!
The world needs to end.

Thank you n_n

fincher, still a big fan. spl6 bros forever and bwfags forever too
n_n

Do you ever feel like branching out of your comfort zone in bw? what you do works, but i think you could reach a new level as a player if you started thinking outside the box more (this isnt purely based on your "standard" sand fetish, but also some of the comments you make when you see some teams)
I've been trying to more as of late. I'm never going to be an extremist like Leftiez, who we both discussed recently (his team was actually used in Kickasser vs Posho earlier), but I actually am hoping to expand my horizons a bit in the near future in BW and SM. I feel like in team tournaments I simply lack the confidence to risk other strategies and I need to test that in order to gain new confidence, so I have been trying to alter my mindset to make that possible over the last few weeks leading up to WCOP after a fairly mediocre, brief BW showing in SPL this year. I honestly see anything as possible in terms of branching out for myself, but it's just a matter of making it a reality and not pussying out like I have many times in the past (i.e: I defaulted to standard sand vs Vinc and Luck after having very different ideas going into both games at the start of the week and just never went through with them because of some risks they entailed).

How do you feel about your current streak vs soulwind in bw? how do you plan to tackle this issue the next time you guys fight?
I feel like it's partially coincidental, partially him being very good, and partially a bit blown out of proportion. My loss against him in SmogTour 22 playoffs was arguably due to hax, but I did lose cleanly to him in SmogTour 23 regular season and HPL (I've also beaten him in the DPP OU forum tour and in UUPL in this time). With this said, I can see why people associate him as someone I really do not want to face and I do feel like he naturally matches up well with my norm and he uses very smart things against me (i.e: the Hydreigon team he used in SPL 7 and the Taunt Gliscor team he used in HPL this year both did well against me). I personally think I just need to be aware of our history in our future matches and handle it accordingly. I prefer not to discuss specifics in public and can get into it in private, but I am not overly worried here. I do not think that Soulwind is leagues ahead of me as a player -- I do not think anyone is, personally. He still is a great player and he is consistently better than me at BW, but I can beat anyone at my best and hopefully I will change results against him if we play again in the future.

What do you think of the current state of oras? any tiering changes you'd do?
My interest in ORAS dipped a lot when SM started, but I think the tier is sorta balanced and has been for a while. I guess some people think Clefable is a cancer for the tier, but I don't think it merits a ban. Mega-Medicham is ridiculously good and strong, but I don't know if something should be done about it either. Overall, I think it's just fine now and shouldn't be touched, but also isn't too great a metagame, unfortunately.

What are some of your favorite bw teams you've seen/made? favorite sets?
Re: teams
This rain I used against Jayde was a bit of a departure from my norms and I find it to be especially good nevertheless. I am mainly known for using Sand bulky-O, but I also sort of use Rain offense a fair amount of the time when I feel comfortable doing so. The thing is that I have legitimately never touched Thundurus-Therian before in a tournament game and this set especially is cool for so many 'standard' sand teams, so I felt like properly integrating it into the context of this team was cool and it enabled the two strong waters, in Keldeo + Starmie, to function especially well. Sadly, this team lost vs Jayde in a game I got outplayed in, but was still fairly close on both sides, but I did happen to do insanely well with this in the most recent season of Smogon Tour and this really opened up my eyes to a lot of possibilities with building rain teams in the current metagame.

This is a fairly standard Sand team, but with a few things that I especially like right now that aren't overly common and make it especially effective in the current metagame. Sub Toxic Magma Storm Heatran (or just Sub Toxic in general) is really good and it weakens all of the right things that you want it to for a team like this, especially with Spikes support. Passho Tyranitar is also an underrated set that never really sees usage and it is cool to safely switch into things like Surf from Latios and absorb hits from Pokemon like Politoed when needed. Generally, there will be Water type moves and Tyranitar is often encountering them, almost every game I'd go as far as saying, and this helps with numerous specific ones offensively and defensively when used properly. It's not a Tyranitar set I would necessarily slap onto teams, but I built this team specifically around the Tyranitar (and eventually the Heatran) set(s). I have been toying with Counter over Whirlwind or Brave Bird over Taunt on Skarmory because of Excadrill and a few other things, but unsure of which I like better, but one of the two should be used. Overall, the rest is fairly straightforward/standard, but still effective nevertheless. I will admit that I am vulnerable to Volcarona with HP Ground, by the way, but I find that rare right now and even then, some lack Bug Buzz and then they are slightly manageable if I play my cards right.

Finally, this is a bit more of an unconventional, risky DragMag esque weatherless HO team revolving around an anti-metagame Magnezone set that I took quite a liking to ever since SPL, when I created it in trying to build for Vinc (ultimately didn't use anything remotely similar vs him, but I had a lot of ideas so yea not too shocking I suppose). Anyway, this team has the generic Scarf Chomp and Latios (it can be Specs, by the way, but I've been preferring LO lately just because of all of the Shed Shell steel types and the ability to have longevity against rain thanks to Roost) paired with Magnezone. Magnezone's set is meant to specifically take advantage of the match-up with Ferrothorn on Rain teams, being able to Sunny Day to change the weather and then OHKO the Ferrothorn with HP Fire. This is especially nice if I kill Politoed off early game, but regardless it gives me an added element of momentum as it forced them to get up Rain soon if they still have a Politoed anyway and it also helps for Tornadus-Therian as it can take Focus Blast thanks to Chople Berry, too. This Magnezone is also sort of nice later in games if it gets a free turn against rain as a single Sunny Day can prevent something like Scarf Keldeo from cleaning and I find having a spare Sunny Day against Rain can never hurt you, so yea why not, even if the main purpose is for Ferro early game and having the utility of Chople Berry. Mamoswine fits here nicely as nothing really switches into it, it grants me priority, and it opens holes for Chomper later on in conjunction with Mag/Fire Latios. Finally, ungood Rotom-Wash and Jirachi simply fit on defensively and offensively for various reasons that I do not feel the need to get into, but they provide me, more or less, with what I need. This team runs into trouble if it encounters a bulky team with the right Mamoswine and Latios counterplay in the long haul, but most of the time it is quite manageable and it is one of my favorite teams to play right now, even if it is a bit risky for my normal taste.

Re: sets
BW: 4a Lefties Thundurus-T, Passho Tyranitar, Sunny Day Chople Magnezone, Shuca 4a lead Jirachi, Fighting Gem Focus Blast Politoed, Life Orb Sub Alakazam (idk why Sash gets like 95% of the usage tbh), Ice Gem Terrakion, offensive tank Gastrodon, OTR Slowking, SubPass Mienshao, and Shuca Counter Tyranitar (or Counter Tyranitar in general)

What would you like to achieve as a player, and what do you think are your shortcomings rn?
I really want to win a SmogTour eventually. I feel like I am capable as a player, but things have not went my way and I have mishandled some situations that have came up over the past few seasons that have prevented me from having successful campaigns. I am not even too huge on individuals in general, but when it comes to them, this is my ultimate goal. I also want to win a team tournament more than anything, but that doesn't necessarily go back to me as an individual player, so I will not elaborate too much on that here. As for my shortcomings, I think that there are some games where I am really on top of predictions and take the lead and then never look back. However, I do think that sometimes I put too much emphasis on reads early in the game and go out of my way to try and get some advantage that I do not necessarily need in the long haul and end up risking a lot, potentially compromising myself in the long haul. I feel like I need to play more bulky/stally teams in order to expand my horizons and become more of a complete player in this regard -- I've actually been using a lot more stall lately in SM and I certainly have a bit of a grasp on it. With that said, there's always room to improve, so hopefully I will get working with that in the near future.

anyway, i still like your passion for the game and i dig superactive people like you, defo a reliable person
thanks man, it's been a pleasure working with you over the past couple years and hopefully we can do that again and perhaps face in some tournament again :o

opinion on zapdos in bw ou?
Actually a bit underrated, but only works on specific teams and still is a bit of a niche/inconsistent pokemon due to the consistent presence of Tyranitar.

do you ever feel like the amount of effort you put into pokemon takes its toll on your IRL? do you feel like you have found a good balance between succeeding in life and still getting the tournament results you strive for. especially with the amount of work you put into team tours. serious question but interested in your answer.
Yes, it did during SPL season and I've been working on it being less of a burden on me as this game is meant to be fun after all. I certainly lacked a good "balance" at one point, but I feel like I am getting closer and closer to it over time. I put a lot of time into team tours and this is no secret -- during SPL, my grades fell a bit and I was less active socially and I hated that I let that happen, so I plan to work on that in the future and I already have done some personal things in order to ensure that this happens. I'd prefer to leave it at this in terms of answering it privately, but feel free to ask me more in a private setting if you would like to discuss the topic at length.

hey finch :v
- whats ur top 3 imagine dragons songs? i love that band but not enough to listen to their less known songs, which underrated/less known song of them do u like best and would recommend?
Radioactive, Demons, and It's Time are my three favorites, but they have a lot of underrated songs -- Bleeding Out, Battle Cry, Warriors, Dream, Gold, Monster, Levitate, and probably a few others I am forgetting. They're a great group and I love their sound, vibe, etc. -- I cannot wait for their album later this month and I hope that there are a lot more of their soft-rock/hard-pop songs with an actual message behind them as they have produced for the last few years.

- whos ur favorite tutee? whos ur favorite po tutee from the middle east?
noname4505 is the only good tutee I have ever had, sir.

- what do u think of the oras pool this wcop
Meh, it is relatively underwhelming. I think that the group with Nintendi/Jimmy/Shake will have some good matches, but honestly I am not expecting too much from this WCOP in terms of good ORAS games. Perhaps that will change when the playoffs come or something.

- u said ur looking forward for the snake draft tour, are u gonna try to manage in it?
If nothing changes between now and then, yea. I think it is likely that I will manage. I have spoken with various people about it and as of right now, it seems likely that I will manage with Zebraiken, but it is still mostly up in the air.

- what about grand slam? are u gonna be motivated for it or just gonna play it out and try srsly if u get far in a couple of opens? (or not at all)
I think I will start out BSing teams or getting them from others and if, after a while, I am getting sort of far, then I will start to tryhard and take it seriously.

- what do u think of OLT? should it exist? if yes would u encourage double elim when stour isnt?
I am pretty indifferent to OLT. I think it is good for communal development and it produces a lot of newer OU players, but at the same time I feel like it is a bit much and it doesn't produce many great games (there are a few, I will admit). I think double elim is a bit excessive, but others seem to think differently.

- india or bangladesh? (regardless of their current opponents)
India clearly seems better, imo.

- whats ur favorite sm non ou tier so far? (u can count nu if ur looking forward to it)
v:
SM NU

favorite cereal?
Cheerios

a movie that makes u cry every time?
I'm not a huge movie dude, but the end of moneyball is something.

what color socks do you wear the most, and are you wearing that same color right now?
White and I'm not currently wearing anything on my feet, so I guess not.

do you like it when girls put on that perfume that makes them smell like a vanilla dessert?
Depends if it's a respectable amount or if they just fucking cake it on and it's distracting and shit. Former, yes. Latter, obviously not.

are ghosts real?
Yea, I speak to Sogeking every couple days.

we've been around each other for a long time, constantly circling, neither one knowing how to really break the ice. we even came up around the same time but our conversations have thus far been limited to pokemon and talking trash. so I thought I'd get to know you better with these. hope you answer some!
o_o I always tend to talk a lot of shit when it comes to team tournaments, but generally there is no offense intended or anything, for what it's worth. But yea, for sure - was glad to answer.

Are you actually incapable of making teams that dont have Latios / lando / ttar / rotom / 2x filler?

Why are you the biggest cocksucker / tryhard on smogon?
Alright man for someone with an 18-23 lifetime WCOP+SPL who hasn't had a particularly good tour since SPL 2 and is far more one dimensional than I am, you seriously need to approach things differently. You went 2-5 in this past SPL and used the most cookie-cutter HO teams in legitimately every game and managed to mishandle each and every one, regardless of how lucky you got and how games pretty much got handed to you because of this luck (see: the McMeghan game, which you had no reason to lose besides your own poor play).

In SPL you used (in DPP/BW): dual pixie set-up HO in DPP, another azelf HO team with Heatran as your turn 3 Starmie switch-in in DPP, some lead Metagross HO that followed the same formula in DPP, some lead Empoleon HO that, once again, followed the same general formula in DPP, generic ass weatherless HO in BW, and another Metagross lead HO that followed the same generic formula besides having a Snorlax in DPP. The fact that you have the audacity to call anyone out for being one dimensional or remotely generic is laughable. In addition, when you generate consistently mediocre results, you should not be trying to claim that being a "tryhard" is a bad thing. Perhaps if you tried hard enough to not be the most predictable player on Smogon, you would render better results.

I gave an honest answer to the question asked to me by someone reading this thread and I did not need your response, nor any of the shit you've given me in the past for god knows what reason, but here is why I answered why I did that to that past question.

As to your actual questions, I use similar archetypes only because the BW player pool is what it is and the state of the tier is what it is. But, for those who actually look a bit closer into things, it is pretty clear that almost all of those builds that I have play differently and do not follow the formula you outlined in the question (actually, I have only used 2 teams like that recently). It is also worth noting that Sand Balance arguably is the most consistent archetype in BW, but there are plenty of other viable ones and I will probably be experimenting more in the future -- we will see what comes up.

I find it funny that you use cocksucker and tryhard as interchangeable words, but I try hard because I want to maximize my teams' odds to win in whatever tournament it is that I happen to be on a team. Kept this entire response as civil, appropriate, and as constructive as possible in order to avoid trouble with the other moderators and forum rules, but you should seriously consider taking a different approach to various things.

I just want to know, how many hoes you have?
Same.

what is your favorite way to eat EGGS
Scrambled!

do u think I have a chance with Coconut?
Coconut-Last Sunday at 11:26 PM
the answer is still no
Finchinator-Last Sunday at 11:26 PM
F
did you at least consider
Coconut-Last Sunday at 11:26 PM
yes

As you know there exists a belief among many Smogon users that you only/mostly use standard teams. Firstly, do you agree with and acknowledge this? If the answer is yes, at least to some extent, then do you A) actively try to change this habit, or B) justify it in saying something along the lines of "standard teams are standard because they win the most and have the most neutral matchups, while anything else may work sometimes but is a mere gamble in the end"?
I acknowledge it to an extent, but I think it is somewhat less than the community thinks and I also think that there is a lot more to it and the way things play out than what the community itself acknowledges, but that is a whole other story in itself. I do actively try to change it up in various tiers and sometimes I do whereas other times I do not end up going though with it -- my game vs Poek is a good example of the latter and how it ended up biting me in the ass. There are times and opponents that I will keep up the norm intentionally against simply because I do not know enough or I feel comfortable outplaying them consistently. However, I've become less and less fond of this ideology ever since the end of SPL, so I will hopefully change it up more in the future!

Can you pinpoint any specific habits that make your playing non-ideal, or do you think that you mostly play games the right way?
Your lover, Roro, asked something very similar and I think this will mostly cover it:
As for my shortcomings, I think that there are some games where I am really on top of predictions and take the lead and then never look back. However, I do think that sometimes I put too much emphasis on reads early in the game and go out of my way to try and get some advantage that I do not necessarily need in the long haul and end up risking a lot, potentially compromising myself in the long haul. I feel like I need to play more bulky/stally teams in order to expand my horizons and become more of a complete player in this regard -- I've actually been using a lot more stall lately in SM and I certainly have a bit of a grasp on it. With that said, there's always room to improve, so hopefully I will get working with that in the near future.

Do you get nervous for tour games, and did you in the past? If you still get nervous, do you feel that this is a major roadblock to playing success?
I rarely get nervous anymore, only in few individual tournament games and never in team tournament games. I did during my first WCOP and SPL, but that is about it. With that said, I get very nervous when my teammates play and that is something I personally need to work on. When I got nervous in the past, I used to handle it just fine, but perhaps lean more towards being hesitant, which is something I have worked out of doing over time.

You have made it clear that a trophy is something you wish to obtain on Smogon. Do you feel that you're currently good enough to do so, be it individually or by largely contributing to a team, or do you need to make large improvements before realizing this desire?
I think that I am capable of winning SmogonTour and I am certainly capable of contributing to a winning team in a major team tournament, but I still have room to improve and if I am able to do so, then I can increase my odds of winning either of these two things. I guess the answer to your question is: yes, I think I am good enough, but there to say that there is not lots of room to improve would be a lie and I am looking forward to bettering myself as a player, teammate, etc. in the near future.

if you could handpick your wcop pool, what would it look like? please go full tryhard on this question and explain your choices
Of the current BW players, my favorite pool would have to be you, reymedy, and posho. You are somebody who I have known and worked with for longer than five years and I feel like this would be an insanely close battle. We both have sort of similar styles, with you being a bit more defensive perhaps, and we both know each other inside and out. In my eyes, it sort of feels like it would be one of those "instant-classic" SPL/WCOP games in BW OU where both players bring solid teams and nobody really makes the play that makes you go "???" and it is close throughout. I want to play Reymedy mainly because of a slight vendetta forming against some members of the French team, but also because he has so much creativity going for him, but he isn't a complete monster and all-time-GOAT like Heist is. Finally, Posho is an opponent I always like to face because he is so raw and talented, but you never know what you're going to get. I feel like I would have much more fun preparing for this game than playing it, but even then it would be a close battle as I view him to be neck-to-neck with both of us in terms of BW skill/competency and it would just lead to a really interesting game from my perspective. Additionally, all three of you have been Bigs over the past few years and that's a nice added bonus, I suppose.

top 5 favorite non-ou tiers (can be any gen)?
1. BW UU
2. BW NU
3. ORAS NU
4. BW RU
5. DPP NU

it's becoming an increasingly popular opinion that the oras mega sab ban might've been a mistake. how much do you think mega medicham has to do with that? do you agree that an arena trap + mega medicham ban might result in a better metagame?
I am still not the most well-versed in ORAS OU, but I do believe the Mega Sableye ban was a mistake and I do think that it has contributed to an increase in the effectiveness of Mega-Medicham. I really do not know what to truly think of Arena Trap in ORAS OU just because I legitimately never use Dugtrio and I do not play enough high level games against it, nor cheese in ORAS in general, to really form a fair opinion. From what I have seen, I do not think I would ban it personally, but I totally understand those who are pro-ban on it. As for Mega-Medicham, I feel like this Pokemon is borderline uncounterable and, therefore, I would at least consider it suspect worthy. I will not commit to saying I am pro-ban on anything simply because I am not sure what the council's stance is and I want to discuss things thoroughly and see if there is a legitimate prospect before saying anything too bold.

what is it about po players that makes them inherently better at pokemon (and apparently also more prone to get banned)?
We came up the right way and all hard to work from the bottom to the top in order to get where we are now, which means we are much less likely to be "misses" in terms of tournament success and reputation in the community.

top 3 central discord quotes
1. My plea for Improbable to play WCOP
2. d0nut's response to the 6v6 metrenome Toxapex game Rozes played
3. This quote is self-explanatory x]

Hello esteemed @flinchinator
Is that my name now?

Thoughts on fairy type Pokemon and why mega diancie is the best thing since sliced bread?
Fairy types are cool, yea. I think Mega-Diancie was great in ORAS and will be even better upon release in SM, but I don't know if I'd go that far haha.

Which OU player is the most fun to battle and team build with?
Obliviate and Improbable.

Am I an evil person for advocating T-wave clef last gen ?
Nah, you're just another one.

NJNP vs CTC which one wins?
The community loses, that's all I know.

Also I'm taking the team posted here for this week's break this team. Thanks in advance
Yea, I saw -- glad it is being used for something! :D

Do you think Marshadow and mega diancie have any chance to stay OU?
Former probably not, latter probably -- but can never be sure until they're released and given a shot.

Is Rain actually good or is it just new toy syndrome?
Mainly the latter as it is generally inconsistent, but it surely has its moments and it is a viable playstyle in SM.

Thoughts on wish killer's team?
Ladder garbage.

Favorite "heat"/"cheese"/gimmick team that you've seen/used?

can I fit/place anymore slashes in his post?
If you consider standard stall cheese, that. Otherwise, there are not many I have used, sadly, so I cannot give this question too much of an answer.

Great read finch.
Thanks man!

1- A lot of people have been of the opinion that stall is way too strong and needs to be looked at. Do you agree and if you do, what do you think is the best decision to deal with stall?
I currently am of the belief that stall might be borderline broken, but I'm leaning towards it being ok in the metagame. I personally would like to see how WCOP goes and then re-asses my opinion on stall and various other facets of the metagame. As for the best decision, I am unsure and I do not want to commit to a formal opinion in public quite yet, but I kind of wish a Chansey ban was discussed as a serious prospect. Alas, it never will be. Mega Sableye is a bad Pokemon and should never be banned, for what it's worth.

2- Which unreleased mons do you think will shake the meta when they drop? and why?
Marshadow because it's just insanely good, hyped up, etc., Mega Diancie because of the Diamond Storm and Mega Evolution mechanics changing for the better, and Mega Lopunny because it's just a great Pokemon, tbh.

3- I know the council has said they don't plan on banning z moves but how do you feel about them? do you think they're balanced? I'd just like to know your general opinion on z moves since i never talked about it with any of the council members.
I think that they're a healthy part of the metagame as they have made it so that things do not settle down in a slow-paced balance fest like ORAS happened to and I think that they open lanes for creativity in building and they make counterplay in-games more prediction and skill intensive, which is good for the sake of the game. I feel like banning z moves as a whole is not a prospect I would ever be willing to entertain.

Why is Aaron Judge so savage?

Is "-outl" a top 5 meme? If not, name 5 better ones
-OUTL

If you could ban (or unban) something based solely on personal bias and selfishness with no regard for the health of the OU metagame, what would it be?
Chansey

FMK: 1. mermaid; bottom half fish top half woman 2. mermaid; bottom half woman top half fish 3. Alomomola
Fuck 2, Marry 1, Kill 3

Hello Finchinator, what you have said about Latios and Excadrill in BW is really interesting and made me curious about what are your thoughts on Garchomp. While Latios and Excadrill have some kind of accessible defensive counterplay in the form of Tyranitar & Jirachi (Latios) and Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Tangrowth (Excadrill), I find Garchomp being almost impossible to counter when it comes to stop a SD 3 Atks set (which basically destroys its supposed “counters” in spite of being pretty standard in comparison to things like Grass Knot Latios). Life Orb / Dragon Gem/ Fire Gem make things worse to the point the only true way to stop a Chomp sweep is to check it offensively, or to wait for it to lock into outrage. Just wanted to hear what (in your opinion) makes Latios more threatening to the health of the tier than Garchomp.
Garchomp is a bit of a special case as it, on paper, lacks true counterplay, but in the context of the game I feel like it actually has more counterplay than one things, especially with Landorus-Therian being so common, the fact that it is pressed to being Choice Scarfed or the Stealth Rock user very often, and it just generally is not as potent as something like Latios. I'd argue that Garchomp could be labeled as broken, yea, but I am not sure if I would want it gone from the tier -- probably not. Latios essentially necessitates Tyranitar usage and it shapes the tier to such a huge degree that nothing else can really claim to do in BW and hardly any things can in modern competitive pokemon at all, really. Moreover, that and the lack of consistent defensive counterplay push it over the edge in my eyes.

would you ever get behind the idea of banning regenerator
I would get behind it alright...and then push it out of the realm of possibilities, so it would then gain 1/3 of health upon reentry into discussion!

Hey Finch, glad you enjoyed your SPL BW debut vs me. I don't really have any question, so I'll just say I am glad I got to meet you on PO years ago, and that I've seen you grow as a player from being the young kid who lied about his life into who you are today :toast:

Long live BW
Long live BW man, it's been a ride over the years and you have always been a good friend even when we have had our differences. You're a really likeable user and an udnerrated player/thread. I hope to see you around in future tournaments and maybe we can play a serious game or two someday. Best regards my man!

Damn, finally done with responses. It's really been fun responding to everyone, hearing what people had to say, etc. -- this is such a large part of why I stick around as such an active member of this community, really. I know that this community has its cancers, quirks, and downsides. It also takes up so much of my damn time when I could potentially be a more productive person, but at the end of the day I have so much fun interacting, having levelheaded conversations, sharing my detailed opinions, hearing opinions from others to help shape my own and improve me as an individual, etc. It's honestly great that the community has something like this going as I feel it can truly improve and benefit everyone while also being a generally fun, enjoyable thread to participate in/follow. Thanks to False. again for hosting and coming up with some really good questions and thanks to everyone for asking me stuff (if you are seeing this late, then feel free to ask me anything in private as I am always willing to answer whatever you'd like to ask within reason). It was really fun and something that I personally looked forward to doing since I heard POTW was coming back and I am looking forward to reading future POTWs and asking my own questions! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)