OU [OU] Amoonguss

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 168 Def / 4 SpA / 96 SpD
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog
- Spore / Foul Play / Giga Drain
- Stomping Tantrum / Foul Play / Giga Drain

Assault Vest Amoonguss aims to check physical attackers like Zeraora and Rillaboom while also standing up to the special attackers in the tier like Clefable, Magnezone, and Dragapult, which it can struggle to do otherwise. It's a particularly good switch-in to Trick from Clefable, as the latter isn't able to reuse Trick nor restore health through Soft-Boiled after receiving Amoonguss's Assault Vest. Clear Smog is critical in order to beat Calm Mind Clefable. Spore may seem odd on an Assault Vest set, but as Amoonguss switches into Trick and Knock Off users such as Clefable, Rillaboom, Zeraora, and Tangrowth often, it can still be handy. Stomping Tantrum, Foul Play, and Giga Drain can be used to beat certain Pokemon depending on your team's needs.

Rhyperior and Tyranitar make good partners for Amoonguss, as they can handle Rotom-H, Volcarona, and Togekiss, and Amoonguss can in turn beat Rillaboom, Tangrowth, Urshifu-R, and Primarina. Corviknight also makes a great teammate, as it can beat Excadrill and Alakazam, and leaves Zeraora and Magnezone to Amoonguss. It also clears entry hazards, which are more threatening to this set due to not having Black Sludge.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ok sorry for the delays, this should be QC ready

i think i got most of it but i cant help but feel like i missed something really important

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Remove, add, comments
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

- Spore / Giga Drain

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Assault Vest Amoonguss aims to check Pokemon like Zeraora and Rillaboom while also having the bulk to stand up to the special attackers in the tier and like Clefable, Magnezone, and Dragapult. Because its typing lends itself to checking the aforementioned threats so well, it can invest more into Special Defense and use an Assault Vest to be a hard stop to Pokemon like Dragapult, Gengar, Aegislash, and Kingdra. Removing this sentence to make space for other additions. Add a sentence about how you can send in Amoonguss on Clefable's Trick to cripple it here, this is a very important aspect of using Assault Vest that shouldn't be left out. Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss' STAB move of choice for its power and ability to immediately threaten Clefable, Rillaboom, Tangrowth, and Primarina. Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to beat Clefable's Calm Mind sets and other setup sweepers like Volcarona in a pinch. Amoonguss is almost never beating Volcarona, Clear Smog's mostly just for Calm Mind Clefable and we're in need of space as is. Spore may seem out of place on an Assault Vest set, but as Amoonguss tends to switch into Trick and Knock Off users such as Clefable, Rillaboom, Zeraora, and Tangrowth often, it can still be handy in many games. Add a sentence on Stomping Tantrum for Magnezone and Toxtricity here. If that is not your preference, Depending on the needs of your team, however, Foul Play can be used for Ghost-types like Dragapult and Aegislash, while Giga Drain is an option to better handle Water- and Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Rhyperior, and Gastrodon.
Sorry, we've changed the set a bit again.
I would like to look over this one more time once you've implemented this.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
It makes a particularly good switch-in to Clefable as a Clefable getting Amoonguss' Assault Vest will prevent Trick or Stealth Rock.
This is written a bit confusingly. I'd also prefer putting emphasis on the prevention of Soft-Boiled rather than Stealth Rock.
Maybe write it as: "It makes a particularly good switch-in to Trick from Clefable, as the latter isn't able to reuse Trick nor restore health through Soft-Boiled after receiving Amoonguss' Assault Vest."

A mention of some suitable teammates would be nice, but I can agree with it being forgone since there's a large number of moves to go over and Amoonguss is very splashable anyway.

QC 1/1 with this.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Assault Vest Amoonguss aims to check Pokemon physical attackers like Zeraora and Rillaboom while also having the bulk to stand standing up to the special attackers in the tier like Clefable, Magnezone, and Dragapult.(optional changes, but I like how they reflect the differences in defensive capabilities this set has compared to other Amoonguss sets) It makes It's a particularly good switch-in to Trick from Clefable, as the latter isn't able to reuse Trick nor restore health through Soft-Boiled after receiving Amoonguss' Amoonguss's Assault Vest. Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss' STAB move of choice for its power and ability to is strong and can immediately threaten Clefable, Rillaboom, Tangrowth, and Primarina. Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to beat Clefable's Calm Mind sets Calm Mind Clefable. Spore may seem out of place on an Assault Vest set, but as Amoonguss tends to switch into Trick and Knock Off users such as Clefable, Rillaboom, Zeraora, and Tangrowth often, it can still be handy in many games. Stomping Tantrum allows Amoonguss to beat Toxtricity and Magnezone. Depending on the needs of your team, however, Foul Play can be used for Ghost-types like Dragapult and Aegislash, while Giga Drain is an option to better handle Water- and Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Rhyperior, and Gastrodon.

This reads a lot like the Moves section of an analysis. I don't think it's really necessary to go into great detail what each of Amoonguss's moves do; it's more ideal to say something along the lines of "Amoonguss's moveset can be easily tailored to beating different Pokemon" and giving brief explanations, in my opinion. If the first sentence is rephrased to something like "Thanks to its overall bulk and flexible moveslots, Assault Vest Amoonguss can check physical attackers like Zeraora and Rillaboom while also standing up to special attackers like Clefable, Magnezone, and Dragapult," then I think the sentences detailing the purposes of Stomping Tantrum, Foul Play, and Giga Drain (kind of) become less necessary. GP 1/1 when done, but feel free to talk this over with QC and see what they think.

Ruft

OU Leader
In that case, shorten the description of the moves as per Rabia's suggestion and add a description of suitable teammates.
Tyranitar and Rhyperior can check Volcarona, Rotom-H, and Togekiss for Amoonguss, while the latter can check Rillaboom, Tangrowth, Primarina, and Urshifu-R in return. Corviknight can remove entry hazards and reliably check Excadrill and Alakazam, while Amoonguss can check Zeraora and Magnezone for Corviknight.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Assault Vest Amoonguss aims to check physical attackers like Zeraora and Rillaboom while also standing up to the special attackers in the tier like Clefable, Magnezone, and Dragapult, which it can struggle to do otherwise. It's a particularly good switch-in to Trick from Clefable, as the latter isn't able to reuse Trick nor restore health through Soft-Boiled after receiving Amoonguss's Assault Vest. Clear Smog is critical as it beats in order to beat Calm Mind Clefable. Spore may seem odd on an Assault Vest set, but as Amoonguss switches into Trick and Knock Off users such as Clefable, Rillaboom, Zeraora, and Tangrowth often, it can still be handy often. Stomping Tantrum, Foul Play, and Giga Drain can be used to beat certain Pokemon depending on your team's needs.

Rhyperior and Tyranitar make good partners for Amoonguss, (AC) as they can handle Rotom-H, Volcarona, and Togekiss, and Amoonguss can in turn beat Rillaboom, Tangrowth, Urshifu-R, and Primarina. Corviknight also makes a great teammate, (AC) as it can beat Excadrill and Alakazam, and leaves Zeraora and Magnezone to Amoonguss. It also clears entry hazards, which are more threatening to this set as it does not have due to not having Black Sludge.
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
no stamp cuz at school :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)