IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast / Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=========

Twinkle Tackle allows for a one-time kill on many common neutral targets. Once used up, Fleur Cannon can still be used as a powerful STAB with no major drawback, as claiming a kill will give a Soul-Heart boost. Thunderbolt deals solid damage to Toxapex and Celesteela while also allowing Mag to not waste its Fairium Z on Pokemon like Tornadus-Therian. Focus Blast is a solid coverage option that allows it to break through steel types. If Magearna's teammates can cover the breaking of the bulky waters and steels, other coverage can be looked at. Flash Cannon can be used as another solid neutral STAB option that doesn't lower special attack, while Ice Beam hits the grounds, allowing you to preserve your Z.

Set Details
========

As this version of Magearna benefits from underspeeding everything, a quiet nature with 0 speed IVs is preferable to become as slow as possible. Fairium Z allows Magearna to deal massive damage to neutral targets, which helps make use of the limited turns of Trick Room. Electrium Z can used to break past Toxapex and Celesteela, while Fightinium Z threatens Heatran and Ferrothorn.

Usage Tips
========

Trick Room Magearna typically forgoes it's defensive capabilities in favor of becoming a dangerous late-game cleaner. It takes advantage of it's solid bulk to help it set up trick room after the opposing team is weakened. As a result, it doesn't really want to switch into hits early in the game, else it become too chipped to sweep. Once Trick Room is set, you want to prioritize OHKOs on the opponent, as it's turns are limited. This might entail using Magearna's Z-Move immediately, in order to start stacking Soul-Heart boosts.

Team Options
========

Magearna Strong psychic and fairy types are great partners for Magearna. Choice specs Tapu Lele is great in this regard as it deals solid damage to the steels that check magearna, as well as providing psychic terrain to block priority such as Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken, as well as stopping attempts to stall TR turns via fake out from Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny. Mega Mawile does similar things in regards to overwhelming their checks and can potentially benefit from the trick room that Magearna can set. Spike setters such as Greninja and Ferrothorn also make great teammates. Rotom-Wash is also a good fit alongside Magearna as it checks Heatran and ground types while spreading burns on Pokemon such as Toxapex and opposing Magearna.

[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/tph.528048/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user2.102/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.103/

Last edited:

zinnias

formerly AcneAutist
is a Pre-Contributor
The information is good, I'd just like you to expand a little more. I also made some changes for the article to fit Smogon-specific grammar, giving both you and the GP checker an easier time during the GP check. Ping/PM me when implemented, or if you have any questions, and I'll look over it again. Blue for additions, red for removals, purple for comments. (AC) and similar indicators show where I added or removed punctuation.
[SET]
Trick Room (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast / Flash Cannon

- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
name: Trick Room

move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Fleur Cannon
move 3: Focus Blast / Flash Cannon
move 4: Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
item: Fairium Z
ability: Soul-Heart
nature: Quiet

evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

(to follow the skeleton)
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
=========

Twinkle Tackle allows for a one-time kill KO on many common neutral targets (I'd like some examples). Once used up, Fleur Cannon can still be used as a powerful STAB move with no major drawback, as claiming a kill KO will give a Soul-Heart boost, (AC) which counteracts the Special Attack drop. Thunderbolt deals solid damage to Toxapex and Celesteela while also allowing Magearna to not waste its Fairium Z on Pokemon like Tornadus-Therian. Focus Blast is a solid coverage option that allows it to break through sSteel-types (AH). If Magearna's teammates can cover the breaking of the bulky waters Water-types and steels Steel-types, other coverage moves can be looked at. Flash Cannon can be used as another solid neutral STAB option that doesn't lower sSpecial aAttack, while Ice Beam hits the gGround-types like Landorus-T and Gliscor, allowing you Magearna to preserve your its Z-Move.

Set Details
========

As this version of Magearna benefits from underspeeding everything opposing Pokemon, a qQuiet nature with 0 sSpeed IVs is preferable to become as slow as possible. Fairium Z allows Magearna to deal massive damage to neutral targets, which helps make use of the limited turns of Trick Room. Electrium Z can also be used to break past Toxapex and Celesteela, while Fightinium Z threatens Heatran and Ferrothorn.

Usage Tips
========

Trick Room Magearna typically forgoes its (RA) defensive duties capabilities (capabilities implies that it couldn't be used to switch into things, but it just prefers not to) in favor of becoming a dangerous late-game cleaner. It takes advantage of its (RA) solid bulk to help it set up tTrick rRoom after the opposing team is weakened. (any pokemon in specific that are good to weaken?) As a result, it doesn't really want to switch into hits early in the game, else it becomes too chipped to sweep. Once Trick Room is set, you want to prioritize OHKOs on the opponent, as its (RA) turns are limited. This might entail using Magearna's Z-Move immediately (RC) in order to start stacking Soul-Heart boosts.
(one empty line between the paragraph and subheadings. ik it feels like i'm being pedantic but its to do with how it gets pasted on site lol)
Team Options
========

Magearna (assuming this is a remnant of a different sentence) Strong pPsychic- and fFairy-types are great partners for Magearna. Choice sSpecs Tapu Lele is great in this regard, (AC) as it deals solid damage to the sSteel-types (I'd like a couple examples. Heatran, Ferro, opposing Mage, Celes?) that check mMagearna, as well as providing pPsychic tTerrain to block priority such as Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken, as well as stopping attempts to stall Trick Room turns via fFake oOut from Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny. Mega Mawile does similar things in regards to overwhelming their shared checks and can potentially benefit from the tTrick rRoom that Magearna can set. Spike setters such as Greninja and Ferrothorn also make great teammates (Add something along the lines of 'because spikes can wear down Magearna's grounded checks such as examples'). Rotom-Wash is also a good fit alongside Magearna, (AC) as it checks Heatran and gGround-types (AH) like Landorus-T while spreading burns on Pokemon Magearna answers such as Toxapex and opposing Magearna.

(I think dedicated trick room teams are quite inconsistent, and they're certainly not Magearna's main use, but I think something along the lines of "Magearna also fits on dedicated trick room teams because..." would be nice)
[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/tph.528048/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user2.102/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/user3.103/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)