Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First of all, you should run earthquake>focus blast to hit heatran and such harder without risking a miss, and partners that appreciate steel types being lured like Clefable are good teammates.

Since Sceptile is very uncommon in OU, there's no core containing it on the sample cores thread (which is quite massive).

So the next best thing is to use usage to suggest a good partner. Reasoning being that high ladder teams probably put Mega Sceptile with good partners, and the good partners for it will be shared between good M-Scept teams more often than the supporting Pokemon (unless you want to make the argument that the ladder isn't "good," etc etc but I wouldn't worry about that in this scenario).

Teammates | | Azumarill +23.398% | | Magnezone +16.405% | | Landorus-Therian +14.326% | | Klefki +10.572% | | Volcanion +10.175% | | Reuniclus +8.258% | | Krookodile +7.107% | | Feraligatr +7.062% | | Nidoking +6.456% | | Terrakion +6.414% | | Slowbro +5.698% | | Heatran +5.291%

Source: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/moveset/ou-1825.txt
(Use Ctrl + F to navigate that link)

Edit: Another thing you could do (probably even more helpful) would be to use Orda's break my team program. If you put in Mega Sceptile, then all of its counters will come up as threats. You can then click on the icons of the counters to see what counters them, and use those Pokemon as teammates, as they handle what Mega Sceptile does worst against.

Last edited:
These two Pokémon seem very similar to me, Grass type walls who spread sleep and run Regnerator and Rocky Helm. So, in which situations is each one better and why?
VS

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
These two Pokémon seem very similar to me, Grass type walls who spread sleep and run Regnerator and Rocky Helm. So, in which situations is each one better and why?
VS
amoonguss is a check to stuff like keldeo and has significantly more special bulk to check like electric types as well. tangrowth is more suited to checking mons like mega lopunny, excadrill, mega metagross, and sd lando-t with its insane physical bulk to take on p much every physical attacker that cant hit it super effectively in the tier.

As a sort of follow-up question to the Amoonguss vs. Tangrowth discussion, what are the benefits of AV Tangrowth over Amoonguss? I've seen it used fairly frequently, so I don't think it's totally outclassed, but HailFall mostly talked about Amoonguss as a special tank and Tangrowth as a physical tank. Is it just that Tangrowth has more offensive presence, so it doesn't give up too much momentum? Or does it check something that Amoonguss doesn't?

Is there a posting guide somewhere? I want to post a team to the Bazaar thread, but I don't know how to insert the Pokemon sprite icons or make dropdown folders to make navigating it easier.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there a posting guide somewhere? I want to post a team to the Bazaar thread, but I don't know how to insert the Pokemon sprite icons or make dropdown folders to make navigating it easier.
The image one is dependent on you knowing the URL of the image you want to insert, but I can give you the BBCode if you want. I'll show you what it comes up as and then I will give you the BBCode that translates to that in code tags.

Code:
[img]www.smogon.com/dex/media/sprites/xy/bulbasaur.gif[/img]
This is a hide tag
Code:
[hide]This is a hide tag[/hide]
This is also a hide tag
Code:
[hide=Martin's a scrub]This is also a hide tag[/hide]

Just to resume the Hyper Offense discussion i started before now i ask:

Are all the sweepers, only set-up sweepers?
Or to put it in another way: can there be non-boosted sweepers? Or are they substantially Cleaners?

For example... Mega-Lopunny in which of the two roles can be classified as?
sweepers are usually boosted pokemon. Mega Lopunny is more of a cleaner/revenge killer.
Not sure if someone posted this for you, but I find this article very helpful :) http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary

sweepers are usually boosted pokemon. Mega Lopunny is more of a cleaner/revenge killer.
Not sure if someone posted this for you, but I find this article very helpful :) http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary
This is more updated (but still outdated by a whole gen)
http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_pokemon_dictionary

This explains the concepts of "roles" really well but is horribly gen 5 specific
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue28/teambuilding

I'll just quickly explain:
Sweepers are Pokemon that sweep the opposing team when certain conditions are met (checks are removed). They are generally fast (either boost speed, are naturally fast, or have priority) and hit hard, especially after set up. They do tend to set up (hence the term set-up sweeper). Examples would be Bisharp, Dragonite, and you can count Pokemon like Kingdra on rain too as Sweepers because it meets the criteria.
Cleaners/breakers tend to be really fast and not hit as hard. They either help break up the opposing team early to mid game or sweep at the end after checks have been removed (since they don't set-up they are easier to check and require more preparation).

Maybe in the future if I have time I'll create an updated and more current compilation of the different roles.

Edit: I re-read the original post (which fsr I never did in the first place) and to answer the question more directly: Yes, you can have a sweeper that doesn't set up as long as its fast enough and hits hard enough (like rain Kingdra). And really, determining whether or not something is categorized as a "sweeper" is sort of meaningless-- its really more about the role that the Pokemon plays on the team.

Last edited:
So I am trying to build a team that has Infernape and or Gengar for OU, having trouble constructing a team around them that can cover all grounds like getting rid of hazards and healing if possible. can I get some help or am I i nthe wrong place?

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I am trying to build a team that has Infernape and or Gengar for OU, having trouble constructing a team around them that can cover all grounds like getting rid of hazards and healing if possible. can I get some help or am I i nthe wrong place?
Hello! Fortunately for you, there's no better place to post something like that than here.

A team with Infernape and Gengar, like you were describing, sounds like an offense team. Offense teams try to deal as much damage as possible before the opponent does the same. Therefore, they usually don't have much room for clerics like Chansey, and hazard removal is usually only necessary if the team has a member that's very weak to Stealth Rock, like Charizard or Volcarona. In your case, I'd recommend a hazard remover only if you plan on giving one of your Pokémon a Focus Sash.

For your team in particular, I can tell that both of your Pokémon are pretty fast and have good offensive synergy, but they struggle a lot with faster Pokémon such as Mega Lopunny, Tornadus-T, and Mega Alakazam. A good Pokémon to use with the ones you have already would be something even faster, to KO these frail Pokémon before they can move. Fast Mega Pokémon, like Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados, and Choice Scarf users look like good options.

I hope this is a good starting point for your team, and it's nice to have you on Smogon. Have a good day!

Hello! Fortunately for you, there's no better place to post something like that than here.

A team with Infernape and Gengar, like you were describing, sounds like an offense team. Offense teams try to deal as much damage as possible before the opponent does the same. Therefore, they usually don't have much room for clerics like Chansey, and hazard removal is usually only necessary if the team has a member that's very weak to Stealth Rock, like Charizard or Volcarona. In your case, I'd recommend a hazard remover only if you plan on giving one of your Pokémon a Focus Sash.

For your team in particular, I can tell that both of your Pokémon are pretty fast and have good offensive synergy, but they struggle a lot with faster Pokémon such as Mega Lopunny, Tornadus-T, and Mega Alakazam. A good Pokémon to use with the ones you have already would be something even faster, to KO these frail Pokémon before they can move. Fast Mega Pokémon, like Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados, and Choice Scarf users look like good options.

I hope this is a good starting point for your team, and it's nice to have you on Smogon. Have a good day!
Should've worded it better of which pokemon to use with them

Is it possible to make a team that is comprised of Scizor, Greninja, Gallade and Flametallon? That can still be competitive?

Not in OU, as Greninja is banned. Not to mention that regular Gallade is unviable, and Mega Gallade is near enough.

Does infernape iron fist buff PUP damage?
Edit: ive seen a couple of vids where greninja preevo is being put to some work...is there any reccomended set?

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does infernape iron fist buff PUP damage?
Edit: ive seen a couple of vids where greninja preevo is being put to some work...is there any reccomended set?
Yes, and no, respectively. Frogadier is just too frail and doesn't really hit hard enough.

Edit: If memory serves, I think I remember a viable set for it in a lower tier.

How do I can get better in playing OU ?
The highest ELO I peeked was 1600. But my GXE was bad ( it was at 68 % ). I wanted to ask how People can have a ELO of like 1700+ with 80 % GXE ?

I am so desperate at getting better but I do not see any progress on myself.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
So, I play OU (well, will as soon as I finish my team. See my post in Wi-fi about that. Its on last page.) and I LOVE Goodra, in case you couldn't tell by the avatar/name. So, would it be worth it to keep Goodra in my team? I love it as a SpD tank/attacker, and with Assalt (rip my spelling) Vest, not even a Moonblast can take it out. I just want people's opinions, but more likely than not I'm going to keep Goodra on my team.
goodra has a choice specs set which lets it take advantage of its okay power, great special bulk, and amazing coverage to fit onto certain teams that appreciate it checking electric types, serperior, volcanion, gengar, and zardy along with a few other things im probably forgetting. assault vest is an okay set (albeit more passive) which lets goodra more consistently check all of these things since it doesnt have recovery. unfortunately goodra faces a lot of competition from latios in most of these roles as its faster, has recovery, and hits harder, but certain teams do prefer goodra overall for its pure dragon typing better special bulk and access to sap sipper (meaning it 100% cockblocks serperior).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)