Project ORAS NU Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, it's time to vote for your favorite ideas! Please vote for your three favorite theorymons by Friday September 30th. You can also nominate a suspect and if enough people agree with it then it'll get removed, so do that too if you want.

Malamar + Psycho Boost
Regice + Electric-type
Weezing + Gunk Shot
Noctowl + Boomburst
Phione + Eviolite
Luxray + Dark-type + Strong Jaw

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Noctowl + Boomburst,
Luxray + Dark-type + Strong Jaw,
Phione + Eviolite

Congratulations to this week's winners! Also, mfw Noctowl gets a vote from everyone and nobody votes for Weezing. :s If we can't implement Phione for some reason then Malamar will take its place. Articuno also only got one nomination so I'm holding off banning this for now. Articuno has also been banned as plenty of people agreed with this on chat; priority Hurricane restricts offensive teams way too much, especially when Articuno can outspeed most Sucker Punch users with it, and Articuno would never stay NU if it had this ability. Now it's time for a new slate:

Shiftry + Brave Bird
Gastrodon
+ Hydro Pump
Dusknoir + Shadow Force
Sandslash + Dark-type
Electivire + Bolt Strike
Magmortar + Searing Shot

Remember that if a Pokemon wins two different polls, it gets both boosts! For example, Lapras has access to both Lightning Rod and Regenerator at the moment. In the mean time, here is an Articuno set I've been using to just break things.

Articuno @ Choice Specs
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Freeze Dry
- Hidden Power Fighting

Hurricane destroys most offense threats that don't resist it, while Ice Beam and Freeze Dry also have considerable power against Rock- and Electric-types in general. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to cripple Probopass if it tries to switch in. The EVs outspeed Modest Aurorus so you can lure it with Hidden Power Fighting, and the rest goes into HP so that Articuno is ridiculously bulky and can get 2HKOs and 3HKOs it really shouldn't be able to (not accounting for Hurricane hax of course).

Rest in spaghetti, never forgetti.

Last edited:
Brave Bird Shiftry
Gives Shiftry a powerful option to catch Grass-types and Pinsir/Scyther on the switch, which will be really nice. The recoil's nasty, but since when did Swellow care? I do wonder if Shiftry has space for this, though.

Hydro Pump Gastro
Gives Gastrodon much more of an offensive presence, doing much more than a Scald + the fact that it can get boosts from Storm Drain. I personally prefer Scald, but this is still a nice addition.... AV Gastro, anyone?... I doubt that would become a thing, but, you know...

Dusknoir X Giratina
Flavor-wise, makes sense considering the fact that Dusknoir can drag people into the underworld, or as one would assume, the Distortion World. But anyway...

Gives it a strong STAB Ghost move to abuse. Would be nice if it wasn't a 2 turn move. Ghost doesn't have many switch-ins, but one Normal-type and you just wasted 1-2 turns. I would prefer Iron Fist to boost Shadow Punch or break the game and give it the CAP move Shadow Strike.

Ground/Dark Sandslash

STAB Knock Off to take out spinblockers is great and gives it another STAB move to use on offensive sets, like Sand Rush (Hippopotas is a thing, maybe?). Problem is that the new Fighting and Fairy weaknesses really hurt when Theorymon Mismagius and Gurdurr exist.

Bolt Strike Electivire and Searing Shot Magmortar
Gives these brothers highly spammable and very powerful STAB moves. Anything that doesn't resist Electric or Fire will have a hard time switching into Electivire and Magmortar respectively, and they have coverage to deal with the things that resist these moves. Extra note, Magmortar now has a spammable move that can spread status, which is lovely

Also, would Blue Flare Magmortar be too OP... You know, to complete the Zekrom and Reshiram thing?

My nomination: Iron Fist Dusclops + Dusknoir (+ Drain Punch maybe)
See the Dusknoir part of the post for short reasoning. If you've been in the Pet Mods part of the forums, you may recognize this as the same changes given to Dusknoir in the Movin' On Up thread, minus the stat changes.

The buffs for Gastro, Shiftry, and Dusknoir don't seem to have much use, though Hydro Gastro could help Offensive sets, which are my favorite Gastro sets even if they aren't the most viable.

Ground/Dark Sandslash is something I suggested before, and I feel like STAB Knock Off would be a nice boon. The new weaknesses would be hard to overlook though. With Mold Breaker added to the table though it does make it slightly better. But yeah it's a bit underwhelming.

The best of this slate is definitely Magmortar and Electivire. E-Vire in particular lacked strong STAB moves, and it now has one, and its physical to boot! Searing Shot is accurate and spreads status, which are boons for practically all of its sets, but AV in particular.

My nomination: Rapid Spin Ludicolo
Very flavorful, and it'd be a spinner that can't lose to Rockers in the least (unless Rhydon with both Stealth Rock and Megahorn is a thing). Would give Ludicolo viability out of rain.

erisia

Innovative new design!
After we played a few games over the weekend a lot of other people asked for Articuno to be removed so for now Gale Wings Articuno is no longer legal. This makes sense as a powerful priority Hurricane alongside great bulk shuts down a lot of offense threats in general, being even more deadly on Rain teams where the lowish accuracy isn't an issue and Articuno loses its Fire-type weakness. Realistically there's no way this would be NU when something like Talonflame is OU.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Brave Bird on Shiftry seems kind of off to me but maybe that's just because I've used Hurricane forever and had no real issues with it. But I suppose if you didn't care about all that recoil your taking and all the bad side effects of using a contact move (Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, crippled by Will-o-Wisp, and Effect Spore) you could use it but I'll take my chances with confusion inducing Hurricane.

Gastrodon has a specs set I think which is cool. I wouldn't use it but hey others might.

I was actually going to submit Iron Fist here x.x. But I feel like this would be the worst tier to ever use this move since Normal-types are of the abundance. If only there was a reverse Scrappy ability Dusknoir could get. Would be cool if they weren't so common but alas.

Sandslash could be pretty neat and might actually buff it up a little bit. Knock Off is sweet to KO Levitators and remove Return switchins (assuming this is on a Sand archetype.) It also can get rid of spinblockers much better. I'm not sure if it will rise to the top of ranks because its low speed and meh bulk holds it down but it sure will be interesting.

Best one IMO. Physical move, can blast through Lanturn. Almost makes Manectric obsolete if it weren't for its higher speed.

Magmortor got STAB Fire Scald.

+ Prankster

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Dusknoir would really make use of pressure and passive recovery with shadow force, or even on a trick room set up so if he comes back out with only 2 turns left he can burn them fairly safely(I know T-room isn't a thing in this tier :/)

Also what I like about Sands lash is no one would want to switch into either a E-quke or a knock off with rocks up

So where is this playable?

Also my nomination: Articuno with Sheer Force. Helps make up for its average Special Attack, Ice Beam, Freeze Dry and Hurricane all get the boost, and it never had the typing to run defensive sets anyway.

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry / Hidden Power Fighting

Bulky wallbreaker. Ice Beam and Hurricane get STAB. Roost keeps Articuno healthy. Freeze-Dry can be used to hit Water types, while Hidden Power Fighting can hit Steel types. The EVs give you enough Speed to outrun max Speed neutral Samurott, with Special Attack maximised and the rest in HP for bulk. Calcs:

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 242-289 (61.8 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Articuno Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Audino: 181-214 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Articuno Ice Beam vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Musharna: 226-266 (52.1 - 61.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
Noctowl @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Shadow Ball
- Agility
- Roost

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Vital Spirit / Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 112 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Lovely Kiss

Here's a cool offense team that nv, ~Eternally, Blast, and a few others helped out with making in a Theorymons workshop. The premise was to use Agility Noctowl as a cleaner once the opposing team had been weakened. We ended up going with Hitmonchan + Primeape Fighting-type spam as Probopass is the best counter to Noctowl (non HP-Fighting variants anyways) and Primeape now gets Knock Off to soften up other bulky mons. Guts Skuntank was a great choice for trapping Ghost-types that are immune to Boomburst and switching into things like Wigglytuff's Thunder Wave in general, boasting very powerful priority once Guts is activated. Piloswine was used as a reliable Rocker that dealt with Noctowl's Ice- and Electric-type weaknesses (which marr its otherwise solid special bulk) alongside Slack Off for general utility as a tank, and Scarf Jynx was used for Speed control and as an emergency button against Rain-teams and things like Samurott. It's not perfect as it has a large Fighting-type weakness and there's a lot more information that needs to be learned about this metagame but it's a good start!

One good idea might be to try Stealth Rock / Earth Power / Psychic / Recover or Signal Beam Claydol over Piloswine! We didn't test this though.

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
Voting start! Vote for your two favorite theorymons by Friday 7th October.

Shiftry + Brave Bird
Gastrodon
+ Hydro Pump
Dusknoir + Shadow Force
Sandslash + Dark-type
Electivire + Bolt Strike
Magmortar + Searing Shot

Last edited:

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Electivire & Magmortar

suggestions: Pinsir + Megahorn, Rotom-Fan + Hurricane, Switch Garbs Atk and SpAtk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)