Resource ORAS Creative & Underrated Sets v4 (REPLAYS REQUIRED!!!)

art by starry

welcome to the second vertex edition of the creative & underrated sets thread. i will once again implement my harsh rules and i do not give two shits if your post is well formatted or even if kanye replied to you on twitter saying your set is cash. if your set is garbage, your post will be deleted or be ineligible for the archive (if the set is decent but no replay is provided). unless you are a credible ou player, i am not giving free passes for posts without replays.

this is not a personal grudge against anyone, but the amount of users who theorymon has been increasing every month. replays not only establish your credibility, but prevent people from questioning the viability of your set (which is why v3 became a disaster). it is preferable that your opponent is mid-high ladder / a person you played in a forum tour, but pm matches also work if your opponent knows what they are doing.

the definition of a creative or underrated set:
The metagame is focused around common sets and the reason is due to their effectiveness. Just because it is standard does not mean its bad - take the case of Mega Charizard X and Clefable. However, this thread is meant to showcase creative and underrative sets you have been using to decent success. Old movesets could fall in this category as well if the metagame is still somewhat favorable towards them.

A new and creative set is one that pulls off a role not strictly outclassed by others. A set that has had some success and takes advantage of current trends is what you call "new and creative". However, a underrated yet good moveset is one the preys off certain facets in the metagame or one that can exploit standard checks and counters to sweep or wall with ease.

Now, I would like to explain what garbage is. According to Webster's Dictionary, garbage is "a thing that is considered worthless or meaningless." If you post garbage or a shitty gimmick, you will be infracted, no exceptions. What constitutes for this? Using Pokemon that has zero business in Overused or just to quote Potter Stewart "I know it when I see it".
happy posting

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.
Specs Latios is King

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Surf

With the Meta game shifting towards Bulky Grounds , Clefable , and people using Tyranitar and Heatran as there Latios switch ins.. Specs Latios is very good in this meta.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-412840002 - here is just one Replay showing the other team only had AV Torn-T and Excadrill as there Lati switch in and it could not handle the raw power of Specs.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Edit: Lol i forgot that the zapper analysis has hp ice slashed with defog

Roost 3 Attacks Zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt/Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Roost 3 attacks Zapdos is absolute fire and needs to be used more often. First of all, this set doesn't have defog, which is the first key to using Zapdos effectively because you don't have to switch into rocks to defog and will presumably have defog support so that you can switch in at full lol. Additionally, this set has an amazing MU vs birdspam because it is bulky enough to eat hits from practically everything on the team, and it has the coverage to smash every mon on that team, which is pretty important. Not only does this shit have a good MU vs birdspam, but it checks quite a few key threats on offense like Excadrill, defensive Lando-T/Garchomp, Bisharp, and quite a few others, so it actually is really solid vs offense aside from its ability to basically 6-0 CTC's birdspam. Obviously this set struggles a bit vs bulkier teams because stall they usually have a bulky mon to tank hits, but it can still do work vs those teams with its coverage bc it has the bulk and typing to be a utility check to many common balance mons like M-Sciz and Torn-T while still having solid coverage to nail a myriad of mons after the team's tank is gone, not to mention that they will assume that you lack your other coverage move when you reveal your first one. Overall this is a p fun set, prolly being the best Zap set atm imo, and I highly recommend that you try it out.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-421127054

Last edited:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

This is a set I mentioned once in passing in the viability ranking thread and have been using for months. I might as well take a shot at expanding on it here. Not particularly creative, but underrated and can perform well in the right scenario.

You may very well consider this similar to the Rock Polish set listed in the analysis, but this uses Hone Claws as the boosting move of choice, reason being that besides the Attack boost, it fixes Zen Headbutt's accuracy and gives Bullet Punch a fair amount of power, enough to 2HKO most neutrally hit threats after Stealth Rock and OHKO those weak to any of the moves. Another pro of Hone Claws is Mega Meta's 110 base speed, which makes it easier to sweep without a Speed boost. The set is ideally used at the endgame, where threats are afflicted with status and/or weakened, as it can clean very reliably, but is also viable early to mid game to punch holes. Bullet Punch is chosen over the normally superior Meteor Mash due to the priority, which avoids speed ties with Pokemon like Latios, Gengar and Mega Diancie, and deals with faster mons such as Weavile. Zen Headbutt powers through slower threats like Rotom-W and is fairly safe to throw around after a boost and when no Dark types are around. Earthquake is the best move in the last slot to me seeing as it comes with no drawbacks and hits grounded Steels like Heatran and Excadrill reliably without drawbacks. Hammer Arm can work in Earthquake's place if you can afford to rely on Bullet Punch more than usual, and it grants the ability to wreck Ferrothorn plus a slightly better chance of winning versus Skarmory.

Clear Body has situational uses that make it the best ability pre-Mega; it can let this set get a boost on Landorus-T if not Mega Evolved; obviously this is extremely risky but it can allow Metagross to score a kill on weakened offensive and defensive variants; maybe if this happens against a Choice Scarf variant you can gamble with Bullet Punch and deal some last ditch damage. Likewise stops Intimidate from all relevant users, aiding setup.

Ideally, bring support for threats Metagross can't break through even when boosted, like Skarmory and Starmie. Paralysis support is a boon for this Metagross since it opens up opportunities to brutalize faster threats like Serperior with Zen Headbutt instead of Bullet Punch.

I don't have many replays of this set but I'll provide the ones I have. Not my best, but they show how useful this set can be.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-378949842

A battle where I set up during the early game and score 3 kills; admittedly one was from a crit but it was entirely possible Metagross could survive a Steam Eruption. It did, however, survive a Flare Blitz from offensive Talonflame at that range and killed it with Zen Headbutt.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-418012006

This battle is one where I set up in the endgame, where threats are paralyzed and it's more difficult to kill Metagross from full. It sweeps successfully, scoring kills on Serperior with Zen, Heatran with EQ and Weavile with BP.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-343177529

This last replay's viability to advocate for this set is debatable since it was during the Hoopa-U era, but nonetheless it showcases an instance where I used Hammer Arm instead of Earthquake, setup around mid-game and kill a Magnezone, Weavile and Klefki(BP conveniently cancels out Prankster seeing as Mega Metagross is far faster even with a Speed drop).

Try this set out sometime if you use Mega Metagross, you might find it pleasantly surprising. Not the best Metagross can do by any means but it has uses and it's been my go-to set for the guy for some time now.

Icicle Crash is incompatible with Watamel Berry, try and actually use sets before submitting them...

Also...Roost 3 Attacks Zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt/Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Roost 3 attacks Zapdos is absolute fire and needs to be used more often. First of all, this set doesn't have defog, which is the first key to using Zapdos effectively because you don't have to switch into rocks to defog and will presumably have defog support so that you can switch in at full lol. Additionally, this set has an amazing MU vs birdspam because it is bulky enough to eat hits from practically everything on the team, and it has the coverage to smash every mon on that team, which is pretty important. Not only does this shit have a good MU vs birdspam, but it checks quite a few key threats on offense like Excadrill, defensive Lando-T/Garchomp, Bisharp, and quite a few others, so it actually is really solid vs offense aside from its ability to basically 6-0 CTC's birdspam. Obviously this set struggles a bit vs bulkier teams because stall they usually have a bulky mon to tank hits, but it can still do work vs those teams with its coverage bc it has the bulk and typing to be a utility check to many common balance mons like M-Sciz and Torn-T while still having solid coverage to nail a myriad of mons after the team's tank is gone, not to mention that they will assume that you lack your other coverage move when you reveal your first one. Overall this is a p fun set, prolly being the best Zap set atm imo, and I highly recommend that you try it out.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-421127054
Just a thought, but have you considered Expert Belt? It seems to land some crucial OHKOs.

68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 322-379 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 350-413 (102 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 302-355 (88.5 - 104.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 322-379 (91.4 - 107.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 52 SpD Bisharp: 262-310 (96.6 - 114.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 242-286 (86.1 - 101.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Zapdos: 296-351 (77.2 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) (Unfair I know assuming you'd be at full but still nice to know, especially if they predict a switch and go for a Knock Off/Low Kick instead)
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 199-235 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- 45.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Amoonguss: 202-238 (46.7 - 55%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
68 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 307-365 (85.9 - 102.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Now I know losing Leftovers on a SR weak defensive mon is bad, but it seems with just a bit of tweaking you may be able to net some really important surprise KOs based on the extra coverage you're packing. Something to think about for an otherwise nice looking set. :)

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Specs Kyurem

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Alright so I wouldn't really call this creative because its been floating around in OLT recently, but it's definitely underrated as fuck. Its ability to 2HKO practically every common Dragon-type switch-in is amazing, because even standard Clef, SpD Skarm and Ferrothorn are all 2HKOed by Ice Beam, which is such an easy STAB to spam atm. I've already made a post about how garbage Specs Kyurem-B is and how you should never use it over its normal counterpart who secures VERY important 2HKOes. With Clefable being a primary check to most Dragon-types on a lot of builds, this set just completely shits all over them and lets something like LO Latios spam Draco late game or weakens Ferro for a Scarf Lando-T sweep. Focus Blast provides obvious coverage versus Heatran and OHKOing T-tar, while HP Fire is nice for Mega Scizor while doing more immediate damage to Ferrothorn. HP Fire can be substituted for Dragon Pulse if you want a more reliable Dragon STAB to spam late game, but then you're completely walled by Mega Scizor and Ice Beam is just as spammable anyway. Obvious partners for this set are Latios, who appreciates Clef, Ferro, and Skarm weakened, as well as Scarf Lando-T and Excadrill, both of which can clean up late game and Exca can spin away hazards for Kyurem.

Last edited:
Yay the new threads up!

I wrote a lengthy post on Sub CM Chandelure in the last thread (link below) and how it can wreck both balance and stall teams all on its own. Coupled with mons that can handle offense, it works surprisingly well in this meta.

Wall o Text
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-creative-underrated-sets.3575562/page-3#post-6950236

Here's a replay of an example team, showing how it can wreck a stall team. My opponent's Skarmory, Chansey and Amoongus are all Chandy fodder, and while his match up still isn't too bad with two Unaware mons and screens, initially preventing it from 2shotting Quagsire, Chandy still proves a pain in the ass, especially with some help from Diancie and Ditto.

Have a look!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428074071

For contrast, here's how it can work against offense with hazard stacking.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428531835

Last edited:
Choice-Banded Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Crunch / Superpower / Aerial Ace
- Aqua Jet

Crawdaunt is currently one of the top-tier physical attackers in UU, hitting hard with a great Base 120 Attack and having the amazing ability Adaptability. While the set isn't really creative, it is definitely underrated and not prepared for at all on most OU teams. Crawdaunt is able to deal large amounts of damage to most of the tier's physical attackers, being able to 2HKO Phys. Defensive Skarmory with Crabhammer, do up to 99.4% on a 252/240 Impish Landorus-T Intimidated with Crabhammer, and can OHKO any form of Slowbro with Knock Off. While it doesn't appreciate being possibly outsped or burned by Rotom-Wash, Crawdaunt can 2HKO the most physically defensive variant. Most, if not all, OU teams do not have a single good switch-in to a CB Crawdaunt, and no Pokemon appreciates losing it's item to an Adaptability Knock Off. While Crawdaunt does have to overcome a lackluster speed stat, it makes up for it in sheer power and priority in the form of Aqua Jet. Superpower can be run over Crunch to net more KOs against Steel-Types like Ferrothorn and Scizor, but you also have the option of Aerial Ace to lure in Mega Venusaur. A Jolly Nature can be run to outspeed a Speed Crept Rotom-Wash and avoid a Volt Switch or a Burn, but an Adamant Nature can be used to just hit harder in general, punishing fatter Pokemon. I find that Mega Scizor and Mega Manetric appreciate the support Crawdaunt provides, being able to rid of Fire and Ground types respectively. In return, Crawdaunt appreciates the momentum they generate with both U-Turn and Volt Switch. Should you opt for CB Crawdaunt, you will not be disappointed by its power and ability to net KOs :)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428527417 This is a very bad team of my own design, using a FWG core with Crawdaunt, Tangrowth, and Talonflame to attempt to break through teams and absorb hits. Mega Scizor is usually a win-condition, but the team is still under construction.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428552842 This is a team built by bludz but changed to add Choice Banded Crawdaunt instead of Swords Dance Crawdaunt like bludz originally had. I'll link his post in the OU Bazaar here so that you all can check it out. Just to reiterate, this is a team originally build by bludz not myself, but I did change it to add CB Crawdaunt to the team :)

Last edited:
Banded Cloyster

Cloyster @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Explosion
- Ice Shard

I was experimenting with many low usage mons in order to increase my Matchup vs stall. I wanted something that can 2HKO every common stallmember basicly allowing me to get an easy kill after a free switch in. I really loved Crawdaunt but I actually found another beast, Banded Cloyster.

Banded Cloyster abuses its Shell Smash set to force you either not to switch, because of the set-up fear or to switch into Unaware Mons or Bulky Waters or Steels. Now luckily the only Steeltype on common Stall is Physdef Skarmory, which is not a switch-in. Also for those who did not know, Counter only counters the last Icicle Spear hit which makes Icicle Spear a very spammable move.

Quagsire, a commonly good switch in to physical set-up sweepers cannot avoid the 2HKO from Banded Cloyster.
Chansey, while obvious, also does not avoid the 2HKO. The same applies for phys Def Mega Sableye.

Calcs:
252 Atk Choice Band Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 140-170 (41.9 - 50.8%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO
You will 2HKO in practice because of the critchance. Also, what can Skarmory do back to you?

252 Atk Choice Band Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 200-240 (50.7 - 60.9%) -- approx. 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Adamant guarantees the kill but honestly 92.6% chance and considering that one crit will 2HKO 100% makes Jolly superior to have better MU against other archetypes.

252 Atk Choice Band Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 335-395 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- approx. 89.1% chance to 2HKO
OMG, Chansey is bulky right? Still not enough.

252 Atk Choice Band Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 155-185 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Too easy my friend.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428790714 Cloyster basicly kills everything

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-421315493 When Quagsires think they can switch in. Afraid of wisp from Mew but I always got my kill after a free switch in

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-424023148 Same guy. Matchup with Banded Cloyster too amazing so he gave up understandably enough

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428133797 Banded Cloyster getting easy kills. Talonflame Wisp forces me out but Rotom-W Voltswitch gives me free switch ins to kill everything with Cloyster.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-420945077 Cloyster got rid of Quagsire+Chansey quite easily and opened up my sweep with Bulk Up Tornadus-t

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-419943495 Tough stall matchup if opponent uses bulky waters like Vaporeon/Alomomola and 3 Members with Will-o-Wisp. Banded Explosion can at least destroy one bulky water.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-418149981 Pure Cloyster destruction

Last edited:
Hello! I'm back! I don't really have time to play showdown, or post on forum but hey, here's my last, small invention!

MODEST MEGA ALAKAZAM

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock/Dazzling Gleam

It has slighty more firepower than LO alakazam and breaks +125 base speed tier! 339 speed allows you to outspeed everything slower than mega loppuny.

I use clefable as benchmark:
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 185-218 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Big thing that holds regular Alakazam backs it's weakness to pursuit trappers like Weavile. However Mega Alakazam is fast enough to outspeed it even with modest nature! And you still have power to tear things like Torn-t, Clefable, even Stallbreaker mew! It has almost no switchins, only things like chanse an AV tangrowth can come in but even them have to be at full health to avoid 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Mew: 178-210 (44 - 51.9%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Of course there is huge drawback in being outspeed by Mega Loppuny but who has enough cohones to stay in and it can be patched via teambulining (lure t-wave ferro, tankchomp etc).

Lopunny-Mega (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Quick Attack

Ada Lop is something that ABR/High Impulse used on the influential Lop Sand team that came about last OLT, and is something I still find it be criminally under appreciated. The basic premise is that the you use QA + F/O to still pressure offense a ton while being able to nail some notable 2HKOs on stuff that normally annoy Lop to hell and back. While you lose out on Ice Punch and some other options like PuP and the rare Baton Pass, all this set really requires in terms of support is Lando-T pressure and a Torn-T s/i (Rotom-W being one of Lop's best teammates regardless of nature). Some neat-o calcs that demonstrate the difference in power:

Adamant Lop Calcs:

252+ Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Quagsire: 205-243 (52.1 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 162-192 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO

Jolly Lop Calcs:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Quagsire: 187-222 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 32% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 148-175 (43.1 - 51%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO

Neat-o Replay

Last edited:
updated archive
choice specs latios isn't creative or underrated at this point. it's much more common now
hidden power ice zapdos isn't creative or underrated
choice specs kyurem is underrated so it was added
crawdaunt increased in usage. take a guess.
choice band cloyster is creative while being a solid set against stall teams. the replays are great demonstrations.
i tested the hone claws metagross set and its frankly a poor choice since it doesn't change metagross's problems and the fact you are still getting walled by slowbro and skarmory for example. i appreciate the post and replay though :]
modest m-alakazam is dogshit and unless you can provide some replays that might change my mind, it isn't going to be added any time soon

e: i'm still contemplating whether to add subcm chandelure since i've seen some successful teams with it that got reqs during the hoopa suspect test

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Choioce Band Infernape

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot/Mach Punch

This set is a little throwback to DPP and is really cool to use in OU, being able to bust through a ton of common Infernape checks and generally is a really strong wallbreaker that can catch many teams off-guard. Banded Close Combat is an incredibly spammable STAB move that can bust through standard offense after Lando-T is eliminated, and is scary to switch into period, and it's the main move that you use to combat Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar. Flare Blitz is probably the least used move on this set aside from the fourth slot as the recoil is really nasty, but it's still a very powerful STAB move that is useful in various situations. U-turn is really nice on this set because it can lure in Latios and weaken it for teammates so that you don't have to switch into it later while generally being a solid pivoting move to use vs teams that don't have a RH user or just have lost their helmet user. Lastly, the final slot is mainly team dependant where Gunk Shot lures in fairies like Clef and Azumarill while Mach Punch is useful for teams that are weak to Weavile and MLop. This set is really fun to use and I recommend that you guys get out there and try it :]

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 120 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
-Sludge Wave
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Stealth Rock

Not sure if this is all that creative since Nidoking is already a known commodity, but here you go. Over the weekend I put together a quick team and played a little on the ladder just for fun. It was originally an ordinary offense team built around Nidoking (I love what it does to Clefable), but there were a couple of structural issues that I couldn't fix without messing with my Stealth Rock slot. I considered tossing Stealth Rock on Nidoking to give me a bit more freedom, at which point I just thought, "Why not try Nidoqueen?"

The set itself is pretty simple. I found the three offensive moves chosen to be the best for my team at the time. I couldn't remove Sludge Wave without hurting Nidoqueen's ability to manhandle Clefable, and I couldn't remove Ice Beam without inviting the omnipresent Landorus-T to switch in (plus, my team was already a little Ground-weak). I didn't find Flamethrower quite as necessary since Earth Power already hits Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor for solid damage and Ice Beam 2HKOs Def Skarmory, so that's where I put Stealth Rock. That said, you could probably fit Flamethrower somewhere if your team needs it. Heck, you could run 4 attacks like Nidoking if you want. Even when she's not setting Stealth Rock, Nidoqueen has other advantages. With a Modest nature, she hits slightly harder than a Timid Nidoking. She also has significantly more bulk, especially if you invest in it at the cost of some speed as I've done here. The EVs allow her to outrun 8 Spe Landorus-T, and the rest is piled into bulk. Here's a few comparisons of the bulk difference between this Nidoqueen and the standard Nidoking.

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 157-186 (51.8 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 120 HP / 4 Def Nidoqueen: 142-168 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 214-253 (70.6 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 120 HP / 4 Def Nidoqueen: 193-228 (54.9 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 316-373 (104.2 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 120 HP / 4 Def Nidoqueen: 285-336 (81.1 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nidoking: 290-342 (95.7 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 262-310 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nidoking: 158-186 (52.1 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 142-168 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 288-340 (95 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 120 HP / 4 Def Nidoqueen: 260-306 (74 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So yeah, cool stuff. Pretty much a slower but bulkier Nidoking that sets Stealth Rock a little more reliably and still hits like a truck. Nothing too unusual.

EDIT: Crap, I forgot replays are required now. I can try to get some good ones later, but it could take a while. I guess you can delete this until then if you want.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Breloom @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Superpower / Force Palm
- Rock Tomb

This thing is a beast. I have been playing a few games with it in a the mid-high ladder (1600~1700) and it's very good.

Instead of just talking, I will provide some cools calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 108-128 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (4 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 240-284 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- approx. 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 228+ Def Landorus-T: 156-189 (40.9 - 49.6%) -- approx. 86.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 264-315 (67 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 136 Def Amoonguss: 181-214 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (assuming black sludge was knocked off)

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Force Palm vs. 244 HP / 216+ Def Tangrowth: 153-181 (38 - 45%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Force Palm vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 162-192 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Basically, just get rocks up and you're good to go. I prefer Adamant because Jolly misses on some 2HKOs.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-432874274 - Breloom cleans late game

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-433439396 - Breloom is a god (I was testing CB Bisharp too... I love putting Choice Band on random mons)

Do I need more? D:

Last edited:
I've been playing around a bit with this set, although I actually recommend Double Edge in the last slot over Rock Tomb, since it can 2HKO Amoonguss and still deal great damage to flying types and other Breloom resists:

252+ Atk Choice Band Breloom Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Amoonguss: 214-252 (49.5 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Breloom Double-Edge vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 259-305 (76.4 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Breloom Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 258-304 (86.2 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Love the theorymon. Double-Edge cannot be used with Technician.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Love the theorymon. Double-Edge cannot be used with Technician.
Welp, that's what happens when you realize you fucked up your import of the team you tested with and never changed the ability from Effect Spore, dont mind me lol D:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've used CB Loom before and I'd like to add that I almost always run Superpower on it. Even without considering the higher immediate power being nice on a mostly nuke-and-run 'mon, 2 Superpowers are slightly more powerful than 2 Force Palms even after considering the Atk drop, and the most notable things that this achieves from a very brief series of calcs (just searching down the usual subjects that I remember without referencing the tier list) is the ability to give it nicer rolls vs. Skarm (lefties variants take 98.05-114.45% while Helmet/Shed Shell variants die every time after rocks (Force Palm v. rarely 2HKOs Lefties variants while being screwed over by low rolls vs. non-Lefties variants a fair chunk of the time (75.4% chance to 2HKO after rocks--that's almost as high a chance to survive as Scald has to burn)) and having a substantial chance to 2HKO Helmet Tang after rocks (96.7-112.2% after factoring in rocks as opposed to Force Palm's 8.2% KO rate).

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Skarmory @ Eject Button
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird / Iron Head / Counter
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Defog

OK, don't hate me for posting such a thing, I will explain what exactly it does and why I think it's good.

I have been using this on stall a lot lately and this is really good in my opinion. While coupled with a trapper (Dugtrio/Magnezone) it is the perfect lure for trapping steel types. Let's say your opponent has a Scizor and you have a Clefable on the field. You have both Magnezone and Skarmory, why would he stay in to BP or SD? He clicks U-turn while you go to your Skarmory. Eject Button ignores U-turn's ability to switch Pokémon and lets you switch. You go to your Magnezone and the Scizor is pretty much dead. Same goes for Ferrothorn... if the Ferrothorn attacks your Skarmory on the switch, it's pretty much dead.

Now, with Dugtrio... Dugtrio is wonderful, especially coupled with Eject Button Skarmory. It traps Mega Lopunny, Excadrill, Bisharp, Chansey and extremely weakening Clefables. There's not much to say here though - if they touch your Skarmory, they are screwed.

Example replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436783482 - extremely weakening Clefable

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436798654 - completely getting rid of Lopunny

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436832224 - extremely weakening Clefable v2.0

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-437071671 - goodbye Bisharp

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-438071325 - Skarmory's Eject Button giving me momentum

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-438078084 - completely getting rid of SpD Jirachi, opening up a huge door for Espeon to sweep.

Last edited:

Skarmory @ Eject Button
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird / Iron Head / Counter
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Defog

OK, don't hate me for posting such a thing, I will explain what exactly it does and why I think it's good.

I have been using this on stall a lot lately and this is really good in my opinion. While coupled with a trapper (Dugtrio/Magnezone) it is the perfect lure for trapping steel types. Let's say your opponent has a Scizor and you have a Clefable on the field. You have both Magnezone and Skarmory, why would he stay in to BP or SD? He clicks U-turn while you go to your Skarmory. Eject Button ignores U-turn's ability to switch Pokémon and lets you switch. You go to your Magnezone and the Scizor is pretty much dead. Same goes for Ferrothorn... if the Ferrothorn attacks your Skarmory on the switch, it's pretty much dead.

Now, with Dugtrio... Dugtrio is wonderful, especially coupled with Eject Button Skarmory. It traps Mega Lopunny, Excadrill, Bisharp, Chansey and extremely weakening Clefables. There's not much to say here though - if they touch your Skarmory, they are screwed.

Example replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436783482 - extremely weakening Clefable

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436798654 - completely getting rid of Lopunny

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436832224 - extremely weakening Clefable v2.0

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-437071671 - goodbye Bisharp

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-438071325 - Skarmory's Eject Button giving me momentum

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-438078084 - completely getting rid of SpD Jirachi, opening up a huge door for Espeon to sweep.
Such a cool strats and nice replays.
I used a similiar strategy to help my Mega Diancie+Magnezone core. Catching MZors on U-turn and reliably weakening it with HP Fire.
Eject Button+Duggi or Zone can be used to get rid of huge threats but it is difficult to build a very solid team with it imo. Still it can work well

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-437026618 turn 15
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-437414291 turn 15
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-437047680 a well supported MDiancie cleaning. Eject Buttons ensures that my threat MDiancie is inside as much as possible

heatran @ leftovers | flash fire
timid | 248 hp | 76 def | 32 spa | 152 spe
substitute | magma storm | toxic | protect

here's the game where subtox tran is used in a prototype of a team built by Nedor and i (thought up of a more consistent ver. earlier, go to turn 27), it 1v1'd and won against washtom, m-lop, and also forced rachi to hw chomp back to full since it was low from trying to take out tran. anyways i thought up of using this last night when i was building with nedor, the cool things what this set does is that you can sub up on m-sab and knock won't ever break the sub, also helps that you can sub up on a duggy switch and force it back out or kill it. another thing is that you can more efficiently wear down bulky waters thanks to the passive damage of tox + magma storm /w subtect helping you get more chip damage. and the last thing is that you can mess up m-lop, mmedi, and scarfers thanks to protect - under a sub medi and lop are pretty much eaten up as they either take half or get walled and die whereas say it's a scarfer, say land-t you can just scout what move they're going for. spread wise you could probably go for something more bulky, only have the speed for offensive m-zor since the team was pretty weak to that. thought that this set would be good to share, it does lose to opposing tran so you could drop tect for epower if you can afford that, otherwise you'll deffo need something for that: i just ran vest quake tang alongside a black glasses pursuit ttar to get opposing tran out of the way.

Jynx has a pretty decent niche. Scarf especially. Hitting 475 Speed (max speed Timid) enabling it to pick off certain Pokemon and out right killing some others. As well as a nice sleep move in Lovely Kiss.

Here's some quick calcs

252 SpA Jynx Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 252-296 (84.2 - 98.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Jynx Psychic vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Mega Venusaur: 204-242 (56.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 198-234 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-449839254 Jynx can do some damage if played right

Jynx has a pretty decent niche. Scarf especially. Hitting 475 Speed (max speed Timid) enabling it to pick off certain Pokemon and out right killing some others. As well as a nice sleep move in Lovely Kiss.

Here's some quick calcs

252 SpA Jynx Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 252-296 (84.2 - 98.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Jynx Psychic vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Mega Venusaur: 204-242 (56.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 198-234 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-449839254 Jynx can do some damage if played right
Welcome to Smogon!
Jynx isn't ranked in the OU Viability Rankings, so it's an underdog Pokémon (you can post here) and not a creative set for a viable Pokémon in OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)